• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
im really curious what the next 2D mario is gonna look like, there are a ton of possibilities.

id love to see them try something hand-drawn but i wonder if they'll just try to go for something like the 3d world theme in mario maker. it'll be interesting to compare it to sonic superstars, which imo looks way better than any 2.5D mario game

I've said this before, but I would be extremely disappointed if Nintendo's upcoming releases were primarily remasters/remakes -
I hope this Direct has some brand new stuff coming soon.

At the same time I can't really blame Nintendo for doing them considering the massive hype from just rumours for stuff like F-Zero, Paper Mario, Mario RPG, etc.

Massive hype in echo chambers by long-time fans.

In practice, those titles would be lucky to sell 2 million units.
(That's still a massive profit for Nintendo).

New good stuff for the casual masses can easily break 10 millions.

im really curious what the next 2D mario is gonna look like, there are a ton of possibilities.

id love to see them try something hand-drawn but i wonder if they'll just try to go for something like the 3d world theme in mario maker. it'll be interesting to compare it to sonic superstars, which imo looks way better than any 2.5D mario game
hand drawn would be costly prohibitive and also doesn't lend itself well to experimenting with game design compared to a 3D approach, they might try to go for something emulating a 2D look similar to how the newest WarioWare did tho.

I see The Snitch mentioned Nintendo today, wasn’t it believed his sources are basically videos being uploaded to YouTube prior to going live? If that was the case perhaps the Direct is a mini and will actually go live today?

I see The Snitch mentioned Nintendo today, wasn’t it believed his sources are basically videos being uploaded to YouTube prior to going live? If that was the case perhaps the Direct is a mini and will actually go live today?
Or some trailers for specific games have already been uploaded (unlisted, of course) and he got the better of it as always.

I have a prediction regarding the title of the new 2D Mario game, you know that thing franchises do where they name a new entry after the first installment? Such as, Sonic the Hedgehog, God of War etc, The new 2D Mario game is just going to be called "Super Mario Bros."
custom_super_mario_bros__logo_by_abfan21_dec52rq-350t.png
please don't let the Mario franchise stoop this low

No, it doesn’t mean a Mini. It would at times be a direct the following day not the day off. Again, he’s hinting at a new 2D Mario. We’re not seeing that in a Mini Direct.

Big direct announcement will be that Nintendo is stopping all game development and pivoting to books. First release for their new eBook system is NEW! Super Mario Prose.

Over the last couple of weeks we had: Starfield Direct, Devolver Direct, Grasshoper Direct, Wholesome Direct.

But the one who started all of this in 2011 by late Nintendo president Satoru Iwata is still yet to come, and that time comes tomorrow when Nintendo Direct broadcasts directly to you, the player. Delivered from none other than by a legendary game designer and Senior Executive Officer of Nintendo Co. Ltd., Yoshiaki Koizumi himself.

Fandom from 2020 👀

The title could also be like

SMB Wonderful _ or SMB The Wonderful __

Wonderful Journey
Wonderful World
Wonderful Adventure

Etc

If "Wonder" refers to the 2D Mario, i could see "The Wonderful Super Mario Bros." or something similar.
I really dig this title. It's generic enough to be the title of a soft-reboot 2D Mario game, but has it's own flavor that separates it from the "New" series or the original NES-SNES games.

Super Mario Wonderland could work
Also a very solid title although I think we have too many Mario games that have some variation of land or world in the title already. I like the simplicity of it a lot though.

I had this exact book as a kid, the very first choice you had was to take a basket of apples or not. If you took the basket you locked yourself into getting a game over like 2 pages later, it was complete nonsense.
I could never beat this book. Harder than the games.
I loved it so much it got dog-eared. I think I had a couple of others too, Double Trouble and Pipe Down, but this is the one I remember the most.

No, it doesn’t mean a Mini. It would at times be a direct the following day not the day off. Again, he’s hinting at a new 2D Mario. We’re not seeing that in a Mini Direct.
He could have access to the full Direct video stream maybe, or just the separate trailers Nintendo posts after the Direct.

Nintendo will never get too crazy with 2D Mario. It's the one rather traditional gaming experience of theirs with by far the most casual appeal and so always designed accordingly. It will never not heavily focus on extremely easy to understand game language and accommodating the 4-player multiplayer experience. The traditional level select structure, expected stage themes, slower paced platforming, easy-to-read art style and never overwhelming game design are inherent to that.

Yeah that sounds about right. They want these games to appeal to the broadest audiences possible so that's why it's doubtful they'd ever do an "artsy fartsy" hand drawn art style like what some people want.

But nonetheless hopefully it still looks better than the last few NSMBs. I think something on the level of like, the 3D World theme in MM2.

Haven’t participated much in Direct madness this time around. Been so confident in Team June that I’ve basically just kicked back with a cold one and watched inevitability do it’s thing.

hand drawn would be costly prohibitive and also doesn't lend itself well to experimenting with game design compared to a 3D approach, they might try to go for something emulating a 2D look similar to how the newest WarioWare did tho.
True, but for a 2D platformer the cost wouldn't skyrocket that much, this is not a fighting game where you need hundreds of frames for each hugely-detailed, big character. I'd love something like Super Mario Flashback:

Or something that, even if 3D, still has a powerful artstyle like Yoshi's Wooly World, Wind Waker or the original Yoshi's Island. Or make every world in an artstyle from a different painter, like they did with the Van Gogh level in New Super Mario Bros U or the Cézanne-shader for far away objects in Skyward Sword.

Well a new 2D Mario is looking like it's almost certainly coming, very exciting! Definitely makes me feel like this will be a full direct!

Nintendo is too quiet, something's happening today I can feel it!!

Haven’t participated much in Direct madness this time around. Been so confident in Team June that I’ve basically just kicked back with a cold one and watched inevitability do it’s thing.
Feel like I should do this for September.

Yeah that sounds about right. They want these games to appeal to the broadest audiences possible so that's why it's doubtful they'd ever do an "artsy fartsy" hand drawn art style like what some people want.

But nonetheless hopefully it still looks better than the last few NSMBs. I think something on the level of like, the 3D World theme in MM2.
I think the game is going to use 3D models but the trend has been going to wards more stylized artstyles over clean CGI render in general.
Just look at League of Legends or Fortnite.

I don't think they will go full Spiderverse, but something inbetween that and the last Warioware would be very nice.
Anything but the NSMB style.
I love the DS game but I really couldn't stomach it afterwards.

You can see it how they do their TV ads. 80% it's for one of the casual games like Switch Sports, the other 20% are Kirby, Pokemon and Splatoon.
During the "height" of TotK's release, i've seen a Zelda TV ad a whoopin' 4 times.
TV or online? on youtube i have seen a ton of TotK ads (in gereman), and when they where current kirby splatoon and pokemon. Sport was way less.
Could then be that they target different audiences more with different channels -> blue ocean = TV, longtime Fans -> Social media and Youtube?
I think people understimate the impact of Mario 2D games that change the style and add new gameplay
This (i think) depends a lot on how much they change the artstyle. Still, as a 2D mario game it will sell millions and be a huge hit, even if it would be a simple "NEW" style of game. (at the same time, it would be the point where i ignore it)
I think is similar to the Green Hill Zone hate, they are good, but at some poiny you just have to move on
There hasn't been a new "New" game in over a decade so it's safe to say Nintendo has moved on - it's time for the fans (and haters) to do the same.
Since then we had the Mario Maker series, in my book comparable to the generations games in that they reused visuals and ideas from older entries in a new context. Were still lacking a fresh "post NEW" identity for the series, so fans didn't really have anything to move on from till they show something compelling.
And the last 2D Mario game was... a port of New Super Mario Bros U , and is the only (i think) retail 2D Mario release for the Switch that's not Maker.
Yeah, even worse then, repackaging old stuff, how could fans that want a fresh mario experience "move on" (.
(Assuming inside Fan spaces and when talking about the games, if they are really sitting there every day and hoping for the day that something happens...then those fans need to get a new perspective on life)

----------------------

My "biggest" fear in regards to a new mario game would be that its a small evolution of the "New" artstyle, a new branding (removing the "New"), and that the fanbase is split between "to little, way to close to new, doesn't feel fresh or exciting" and "oh, its called differently, and its not literary the same artstyle, you expect to much, thats fine and great" (...yeah, im biased)

Thats the only way they could make the online discourse about the "New" subseries worse.

Context:
NEW on DS was fine for the time, played it a handfull of times, ages kinda mid since it feels more basic then 3 and World
NEW on wii->played it, was fun, seemed to have the focus on the multiplayer, did not finish it (wasnt mine, didnt have a Wii back then)
NEW on 3DS -> never played it
NEW on Wii U -> a Damn Fine platformer, good level design, fun world.
Power ups felt by the numbers and not that inspired,antagonist dynamic needs a refresher, instead of going back to old ideas. For the 4th entry in the subseries it felt to safe, and the best part of it was the DLC later on, since the Luigi mode (shorter 100 second levels, different physics) was refreshing.

The series peaked with the Wii entry, since it took the basic "ok, lets get back in the grove of making 2D games" of the first one and was like "ok, now were back and warmed up, lets show what we can do" and managed to implement the multiplayer they struggled with during the NES and SNES.The Coin gimick of 2 and ... HD resolution of Wii U (for an artstyle thats not benefiting that much from it.... IMHO) where just not enough.

Left field speculation/wish:

I want the SNES Remakes to be the Soul Blazer Trilogy.

Soul Blazer
Illusion of Time/Gaia
Terranigma

DO IT!

Maybe the "wonder" in the title is implying that Yuji Naka is helping co-develop this Mario title from prison with his "one button only" technique.

In my book the 3DWorld artstyle was always a 3D variant of the NSMB artstyle... for me they are so close that a causal could mix them up. Yeah, the World artstyle has more depth , but i mix them up when i see Mario Maker footage. And ... it was already in mario maker. It would again not feel fresh, but like a derivative artstyle...again.

I think the game is going to use 3D models but the trend has been going to wards more stylized artstyles over clean CGI render in general.
Just look at League of Legends or Fortnite.

I don't think they will go full Spiderverse, but something inbetween that and the last Warioware would be very nice.
Anything but the NSMB style.
I love the DS game but I really couldn't stomach it afterwards.
Yeah, thats what i assume. Handdrawn -> i dont see it,
but 3D models that dont just look "3D model" like but instead use different shaders. Nintendos great at that. So lets hope they show us what they can do. And i would hope for more particle effects to kinda sell level themes better.

I hope 2D Mario takes some confidence from how the market and Nintendo's audience has evolved since the Wii/DS era, when an introduction to 2D Mario probably seemed necessary for the 'new' audience Nintendo were bringing into gaming. The level of confidence a series like Zelda now has at simply trusting players is something that the company could stand to use as a broader philosophy and ethos across their operations, I think.

I imagine something with 3D dept for 2D Mario maybe something odissey inspired even with some levels with 2D sprite Mario during the levels

Let's do this!

Koei-Tecmo new collaboration announced

Samurai Warriors Odama's Fate
40h+ Story mode
Online Leaderboards
Online VS mode (2 "tables", one in front of each other: destroy your enemy's camp before he destroys yours!)
Touch control scheme for a dedicated Arcade mode

Goemon inspired Story Chapter as free DLC announced for pre-orders of the Season Pass (that will add Fire Emblem Three Hopes tables, Dinasy Warriors-inspired tables, Golden Sun-inspired tables)

maxresdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom