• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I barely hear anyone speak of OG Persona 3, mostly about which version out of FES or Portable is better. I think P3 Reload will definitely have to prove itself amongst fans.
I entered the series with Persona 5 Royal, so that will probably always be my favourite.
OK, off topic, but...

FES and P3P both make the game better in some ways and worse in others. I've never played vanilla P3, but I know what FES added, and I have mixed feelings. The Answer is a mess. Aigis social link is fine. Elizabeth dates are fine. You can walk the dog! Sexy costumes are... sexy costumes. Portable is the worse overall package but everybody loves FeMC. Etc.

The real trick is that Persona 3 is the original and they've been iterating on it ever since. They kind of knocked it out the of the park the first time, and with every tweak, they accidentally break something that made sense in P3 but now makes no sense. I have a whole thing about that, but one example, P5's calendar makes no sense because it's not tied to any natural cycle, and it just takes away control and forces the plot along to the next palace without any notice. It's a nit, but w/e.

Anyway, hottest take, but Persona 3 is a roguelike and that's good.

How far are we expecting Nintendo to go with remasters? Are people expecting all the big games from GC/WII/3DS to get HD versions at some point?
At the very least, people expect gamecube games to get remastered since it's likely not viable for them to be on NSO due to their GB size being like 1000 times larger than GBA and SNES etc.

Nintendo isn’t going to hold off on big releases for the 125 million and growing Switch owners for over a year (or even longer).

They will only offer GC on NSO when all the games left are deemed not worthy economically

Like for example Geist or that pinball game or Costum Robot GC

Even if Costum Robot is a Robot kid friendly rpg so it have far more chance then the others 2

we'll simply never speak of it again

rip 2D mario we'll say
fresh-prince-we.gif

But if that stuff is only going to begin in spring 2024 at the earliest, and perhaps is more likely in the second half of 2024, where's the incentive to not have a big selling title this Christmas?
I feel like people need to understand that an empty H2 isn't a "oh Nintendo is so unpredictable" situation, it's a "Nintendo is completely shitting the bed" situation.
I think that if this scenario does play out - and I don't think it's impossible, even if it's not necessarily the most likely outcome - it's probably not that it was specifically planned. Most likely explanation to me would be that Switch 2 was internally delayed, and so all the launch window exclusives were delayed too.

I think that if this scenario does play out - and I don't think it's impossible, even if it's not necessarily the most likely outcome - it's probably not that it was specifically planned. Most likely explanation to me would be that Switch 2 was internally delayed, and so all the launch window exclusives were delayed too.
Right, there's a non-zero chance software isn't currently going to plan. Only Nintendo know that. And we should all remember these operations are massively complex and subject to all kinds of different factors.

From my perspective right now, 2023 Nintendo looks like a very different beast to something like 2011 Nintendo, which struggled to get 3DS going even as Wii support was falling. And that didn't even result in a strong software pipeline for Wii U. When you look at the content they've managed so far, plus Nikkei saying new hardware plans are going well, then the surface picture seems at least stable.

This Direct might well change that if it takes us down The Dringest Timeline. Alternatively, if Switch in 2023 continues to look like business as usual for Nintendo's software pipeline, I'd say that's a positive sign for the successor.

How far are we expecting Nintendo to go with remasters? Are people expecting all the big games from GC/WII/3DS to get HD versions at some point?
I think we are definitely going to see larger GC and Wii games brought over. 3DS will probably be a little more touch and go based on their dependencies on 3DS features.

but at the same time, if the second half of the year sees an unplanned drought of games they wouldn't have packed the first half of the years with games and dlc that could have easily been kept for this empty 2nd half.

Don't think they'v ever done a news drop that time on Saturday JST; I think the latest time they've ever revealed something in a week passed 10 minutes ago.
That’s probably good reason for it not to happen then. Guess they’ll bury it somewhere in next week then. Wild it’s 14 days away with no info.

then how long will the drought be?
Haven’t heard this since the Wii U days, woof

y'all acting like Mario Party 11/Superstars 2/the best game of all time isn't Nintendo's biggest release of the year
I can see Nintendo getting Everybody 1-2 Switch out of the way for Mario Party to release in Autumn.

It depends what we inted for Big Games of they are Prime 4, Mario 2D and DK, there they are probably the next and last Big Games
Why are people talking like the Switch will stop receiving big releases? If the PlayStation 5 is anything to go by, Nintendo should do crossgen for 12-24 months before going full next gen. They even mentioned they want a smooth transition.

Also Fire Emblem 4 should be a Full remake and it will be the main Fire Emblem of 2024 probably
My sentiments exactly.

There's also the big question of the next Pokemon RPG, which could well be late 2024, and could be a Legends successor or a new generation remake. Do we really think Game Freak are going to rush over new hardware, or are they going to keep working on Switch?
They have a looot to select from:
• Explorers of the Sky remake
• Gen5 remakes a la BDSP
• Gen5 Legends game
• Johto Legends game
• Let’s Go Johto

Yep. Empty second half on Switch is an indication software development is in trouble, which is a problem for new hardware.
I’d be VERY surprised if Nintendo didn’t plan accordingly for this Fiscal Year.

Day one for Nintendoland!
I have a headcanon that Nintendo will release a Nintedoland-ish title when they’re finish adding areas to Nintendo Land in real life.

Boy, wouldn't next week be the perfect time to announce a reprint + TotK Ganondorf and Zelda amiibos? 🤔
Plus the perfect opportunity to announce DLC.

but at the same time, if the second half of the year sees an unplanned drought of games they wouldn't have packed the first half of the years with games and dlc that could have easily been kept for this empty 2nd half.
Yeah. Why would they pack the first half so much? Especially with a very big AAA title coming out in mid May?

The fact that we the Fire Emblem and Xenoblade DLC were both wrapped up so quickly makes me feel like they're definitely making room for more releases later this year. They could have easily spread both of them out more

Plus the perfect opportunity to announce DLC.
I'm laughably not far into TotK, but I'm half-wondering if there actually will be DLC for this. I know that's a bit of a stretch given modern gaming, but like... Odyssey and none of the Mario Party releases have seen DLC and Mario Kart 8DX went 4-5 years without any. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

It bears repeating but Nintendo is notoriously the company which doesn't mind sitting on finished games. With that in mind the first half being so stuffed is a dead giveaway that there is more to be announced. They could have delayed 3-4 games from this year's currently known software line-up into typical late summer/fall slots but they didn't for "some reason".

Just look at a year like 2020, which is the prime example in which you can clearly see how Nintendo tries hard to spread out their games when their line-up is lighter:

January: Tokyo Mirage Sessions
March: Animal Crossing
May: Xenoblade Chronicles
June: Clubhouse games
July: Paper Mario
September: Super Mario 3D All-stars
October: Pikmin 3
November: Hyrule Warriors

They gave a Hyrule Warriors game the holiday slot. Nintendo isn't above putting Pikmin 4 in the holiday slot if they had no other games this year.

Now, the second half could (and probably will) be less stuffed than the first half, but that there won't at least be each one game for the holiday and fall slots follows no logic.

Last edited:
The fact that we the Fire Emblem and Xenoblade DLC were both wrapped up so quickly makes me feel like they're definitely making room for more releases later this year. They could have easily spread both of them out more
Yeah. It doesn’t make sense for them to plan a full first half of the year if they knew the second half was gonna be barren. Unless they’re confident about the 3rd party games being released.

I'm laughably not far into TotK, but I'm half-wondering if there actually will be DLC for this. I know that's a bit of a stretch given modern gaming, but like... Odyssey and none of the Mario Party releases have seen DLC and Mario Kart 8DX went 4-5 years without any. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.
Good question. I feel like they may release DLC. And they don’t necessarily need a big team for that. They can dedicate a small team for DLC and the rest work on pre-production for the next game.

They have a looot to select from:
• Explorers of the Sky remake
• Gen5 remakes a la BDSP
• Gen5 Legends game
• Johto Legends game
• Let’s Go Johto

I know DLC is the "This Year's Pokemon Game," however, a new Let's Go game would hit me just right this year.

Unfortunately, I think the Let's Go brand is retired...

My sentiments exactly. They would have to deviate more from the Go formula, so it’d stop being Let’s Go and it’ll start being more traditional, so just remake it properly

The art direction is my favorite part of LG. I think the older top-down games benefit from Let's Go's art direction so much.

If they aren't going to give us Crystal in HD-2D that is...

If they aren't going to give us Crystal in HD-2D that is...
It’d be a dream, but doubtful xD They’d remade Gold and Silver. Maybe give Legends to Celebii and/or Suicune.

Begging for no leaks before the show!
After the last Direct, I doubt leakers will claim what software is going to be featured. I think they’ll just limit to confirming that a Direct is coming.

The way people talk about Purah online is so uncomfortable

Anyway I hope they announce a Kid Icarus Uprising remaster or a The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls remake in the style of Link’s Awakening

I'm not expecting it any time soon, but it's only a matter of time before we get an HD-2D Chrono Trigger, right? 🤞

Can't believe we have Chrono Cross on Switch but not Chrono Trigger 😆
I think it’s more probable they HD Remasterize and rework the DS version of CT

I have been thinking about the Direct maybe too much...had a dream last night where the Direct was literally 4 minutes long. Only briefly announced TOTK DLC(in 2 parts like for BOTW) and showed a few random things that I didnt care about.

Better not happen lol

Is Persona 3 considered top of the franchise along with 5?

Not really. 4 is the game that rightly gets a lot of the credit for putting the series on the map, which continued to grow with 5.

It gets more kudos than the first 2 games but is deeply flawed because they hadn't quite worked out the bones of the systems they were building until 4. For instance, you can't even get social links with your male party members in 3/FES, and all the female ones force you to date them. These obvious flaws were fixed when Persona 4 came out barely 2 years after 3 and was then the game that carried the franchise for 8 years with 4 and it's various spin offs until persona 5 came out.

Honestly the potential of TTYD HD already makes this Direct super exciting for me. I love the classic Paper Mario games and I’m dying for a return to that feeling within the series, and not only would TTYD HD be awesome for getting to re-live my favourite Paper Mario, but I’m hoping it will guide the series further in that direction with future original entries.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy modern Paper Mario as its own thing (minus Sticker Star), but I think of them as “good games” rather than “good Paper Mario games”.

I wonder if someone will get an early copy of the horse game. Or does it stink so much that not even early birds want to play it :ROFLMAO:

I hope we dont see footage at the direct lol.

damn I can’t believe they’re about to announce “Yakuza 0 Definitive Edition” for the Nintendo Switch family of systems next week

If the first trailer for Prime 4 gives us a release date, I’m going to try and go dark on watching any more footage after that. Which I never do for games, but I want to go in as blind as possible.

Mind you, the key word is try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom