• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Melee HD doesn't strike me as a great idea. The casual audience is all in on Ultimate, and the hardcore fans would dislike every little changes, even bug fixes, and would go back to the original in a heartbeat.

Also I don't think GC NSO is happening, like, ever.
Eternity is a long time. I don't see why it wont happen in the next 10 years, unless you expect Nintendo to stop adding games to their legacy service ?

Eternity is a long time. I don't see why it wont happen in the next 10 years, unless you expect Nintendo to stop adding games to their legacy service ?
Not in the way the way they've been doing it anyway. Legacy content right now is only for small size games and they'd have to massively rethink to work GC into it. And remasters sell.

If there is one thing I do not miss is the Smash circus of people going into every Direct for a possible fighter reveal and 40k posts of "that's it, no Smash?" and "I can't believe they picked X over 25 YEARS OLD MASCOTTE IN A DEAD FRANCHISE NO ONE REMEMBERS"

I’m okay with Smash being over. I’d buy any new character they’d throw at me but the game is pretty damn complete now.

What I do miss are Sakurai‘s presentations. They’re such an interesting deep-dive into mechanics and lore, depending on the IP. I look forward to his next project if only for these to make a comeback.

If there is one thing I do not miss is the Smash circus of people going into every Direct for a possible fighter reveal and 40k posts of "that's it, no Smash?" and "I can't believe they picked X over 25 YEARS OLD MASCOTTE IN A DEAD FRANCHISE NO ONE REMEMBERS"
Scrimblo Bimblo is the funniest and most accurate meme that still makes me laugh everytime I read its name lol.

I’m okay with Smash being over. I’d buy any new character they’d throw at me but the game is pretty damn complete now.

What I do miss are Sakurai‘s presentations. They’re such an interesting deep-dive into mechanics and lore, depending on the IP. I look forward to his next project if only for these to make a comeback.
Yeah Sakurai’s presentations I miss. He’s funny

The thing with smash is that the next one is pretty clearly going to be a restart for the franchise. That means a lot of the fighters in Ultimate will not make it. Which unfortunately will lead to a lot of whiny people on the internet when their favorite fighter doesn't make it.

I think the next smash bros cycle will inevitably be toxic.

The thing with smash is that the next one is pretty clearly going to be a restart for the franchise. That means a lot of the fighters in Ultimate will not make it. Which unfortunately will lead to a lot of whiny people on the internet when their favorite fighter doesn't make it.

Just thinking about that depresses me...

For its faults, SWSH had some great Pokemon trainer designs and gym leaders, hopefully that carries onto SV's NPCs. I hope we get to see some this week like Professors/rival etc.

Thank goodness. It’ll be better seeing characters cut and the franchise getting a restart.

Well that does sound very disappointing, and I hope that isn't how they approach the next game. But if it is I'll just accept it. All fandoms get toxic and I'd not like to add to that.

It’s prolly gonna be a restart but some third party guys like Sonic and MegaMan are coming back regardless unless Sakurai or Nintendo doesn’t want them. Capcom and Sega want there for sure.

For its faults, SWSH had some great Pokemon trainer designs and gym leaders, hopefully that carries onto SV's NPCs. I hope we get to see some this week like Professors/rival etc.
I have just finished a replay of sword, and IMO the game is brilliant in all about the gyms, stadiums and all the competition atmosphere. It is all I imagined while playing red and blue and watching the anime. I hope they keep this in S/V.

Not sure I agree with this.

The future smash game won’t be for a long time so things will change. I don’t see a reboot happening, even if I’ve seen non-smash fans say it’s necessary. It’s really not.

The future smash game won’t be for a long time so things will change. I don’t see a reboot happening, even if I’ve seen non-smash fans say it’s necessary. It’s really not.
I think a reboot of sorts will happen. the roster is huge and they can take the time to massively revamp some of the characters. trying to do the "everyone is here" again is gonna eventually hurt them

Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone says this, or wants it. There is nothing like Smash out there, it didn't need a reboot, it's perfect as is.

The next Smash game is a big interrogation mark for me. I want them to come up with some sort of new idea, because Ultimate really is "ultimate", "definitive" in terms of what a Smash game generally aims to be imo. It's really difficult to go even higher in that same formula, so for the next game it's best to shake up the formula a little bit imo. I really want to be surprised.

I think a reboot of sorts will happen. the roster is huge and they can take the time to massively revamp some of the characters. trying to do the "everyone is here" again is gonna eventually hurt them
I guess it depends on what everyone means by reboot. I personally don’t see gameplay changing much. New move sets to me doesn’t mean reboot.

And every smash game has a different single player experience.

Who knows. Maybe they’ll go to long time live service if Multi-versus is super successful.

Sakurai said he had a choice…and he decided to do an Ultimate smash knowing the concessions that meant for the next Smash game. I don’t see him making the same choice twice in a row.

Sakurai said he had a choice…and he decided to do an Ultimate smash knowing the concessions that meant for the next Smash game. I don’t see him making the same choice twice in a row.
He also said he didn't know how they can top Brawl. Then did he doesn't know how they can top 4.

Whatever he decides to do, I trust he'll make something great. Smash has yet to be anything short of amazing, no reason to doubt him now.

Reboot or not, please just fix the roster and stage select screen. Seeing them all scrambled and mixed together messes with my OCD lol

I still feel very strongly that Sakurai won't return to Smash. His mentor has passed away, he's delivered his final assignment, and it's time for him to move on.

I still feel very strongly that Sakurai won't return to Smash. His mentor has passed away, he's delivered his final assignment, and it's time for him to move on.
As great as his work has been on Smash, if it's announced that he's on a new one I'd be worried about the dude's health.

A few things factor into this: Smash's dev cycle and Sakurai's age. Smash takes years and years to make, and Sakurai may want to do other things before he retires. Without him at the helm, I'd say 1/2 of the third-party characters and everything they come with (stage, spirits, music) don't make it back. A lot of them got into Smash in the first place because of his relationship with other directors/his passion for the character. Snake, Terry, Sora, Kazuya, Cloud, and Sephiroth are all pretty likely cuts. Cloud almost didn't make it back to Ultimate to begin with.

DQ Hero, Joker, and Bayonetta's fates are also not totally sealed. I could see them not returning.

So then yes, the next Smash game will very likely not be anything close to Ultimate in terms of roster. Which means if Smash tries to iterate on Ultimate without having all of them, it'll be seen as weaker (not saying it will definitively be weaker) and so they'll likely go back to the drawing board for a lot of stuff.

Even then I agree with you; the next Smash game is not going to be for a long long time and he'll likely have another project brewing in the meantime.

Well, next week should start the announcements of when pokémon and maybe nintendo directs will aired

But probably between tuesday to thursday.

We're expecting Pokemon to just be Scarlet & Violet information, yes? No fun surprises?
If you mean console game wise, probably not .Maybe more Arceus/BDSP events ? But I don’t see them announcing the 2023 spin-off yet is too soon imo. We maybe get another small mobile/Switch game though

I'd be shocked if there was literally nothing else. Don't they always have multiple different projects to discuss in Pokemon presents?
This is the first time they do a Pokemon Presents before a new generation releases so we have no real precedent but for the Pokemon Presents before BDSP we got no new game announcements just updates on old ones

We're expecting Pokemon to just be Scarlet & Violet information, yes? No fun surprises?
If it’s a Pokémon Direct, expect only SV and maybe a console spinoff game, like a new Ranger, PMD Explorers DX, PMD 5, Rumble but nothing more. Detective Pikachu Switch is always on my predictions list because it’s been 3 years since we’ve heard anything from it.

If it’s a Pokémon Presents, expect it to contain more SV info, anything related to spin-offs like the aforementioned games above, and some mobile updates on Masters, GO, and Cafe Mix. Maybe some new merchandise announced. Or even the illusive Pokémon Sleep.

Edit: After looking at Serebii’s Direct/Presents page, I could’ve sworn BDSP and PLA were revealed through a Direct but alas. Expect a Presents then, the last Pokémon Direct was January 2020, with the reveal of SwSh DLC.

Edit 2: Oh, and expect Unite revealing Delphox as a new character.

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone says this, or wants it. There is nothing like Smash out there, it didn't need a reboot, it's perfect as is.
I don't mean a reboot in the literal sense I guess. I just think that the roster we got in Ultimate is just not going to carry over. I also don't believe it is necessary. As a huge fan of the series I'd love for the series to keep getting bigger but I don't think that's feasible. I think it is reasonable to expect a roster cut for the next game.

I also think that some of the fighters need to a revamp of their moves, especially those from the first two games.

Again, I'm not saying it isn't perfect or that I want a "reboot," but rather it just seems reasonable to not expect the next Smash game to be so large-scale like Ultimate was. Doesn't necessarily mean the next game will be paired down because I think that they could do more when it comes to variety of game modes.

I can confirm that the early June Pokemon Direct will include a confirmation of Pokemon Snap on NSO, a Scarlet / Violet deep dive, a Detective Pikachu Definitive edition with new story content, and a tease for the new spinoff, Pokemon Fuck.

must have got your wires crossed, those are the same game, my sources tell me

61d.jpg

I can confirm that the early June Pokemon Direct will include a confirmation of Pokemon Snap on NSO, a Scarlet / Violet deep dive, a Detective Pikachu Definitive edition with new story content, and a tease for the new spinoff, Pokemon Fuck.
Nah, you got your leaks confused. Pokémon Fuck is the name of Gen 10 along with Pokémon Shit.

Sakurai just doesn't seem the type to heavily change movesets like that. See Ganondorf, who under almost any other developer would have gotten revamped after his rushed clone appearance in Melee, but that firmly stuck as the basis of his character going forward even as he got new attacks/animations. I think it will be closer to another Brawl/Wii U type game, where some characters are lost, but the game is overall clearly building up on the previous one rather than something new from the ground up.

This is a family franchise, sir. Pokéfornication, please.

Sakurai just doesn't seem the type to heavily change movesets like that. See Ganondorf, who under almost any other developer would have gotten revamped after his rushed clone appearance in Melee, but that firmly stuck as the basis of his character going forward even as he got new attacks/animations. I think it will be closer to another Brawl/Wii U type game, where some characters are lost, but the game is overall clearly building up on the previous one rather than something new from the ground up.
that's what I think will change in the next game. by the time of the next game, Ganon will have a new design and probably move set thanks to BotW2. time for updates and let characters reflect their most recent identities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom