• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo doesn't need to turn this Direct into a BOTW2 "deep dive". If they really want to do a blowout of the game, they can just show a big story trailer+a significant Treehouse segment and/or a BOTW2 Direct. It seems much more reasonable, especially considering the amount of games still due to release this fiscal year and that probably will appear on the next Direct, both the already announced and those that are still rumored, like the Prime remaster and the next Fire Emblem project
I agree. Especially since those of us who consider two trailers to be plenty and want to go into BotW2 relatively fresh, we'd be sorta disappointed if the game takes up a significant portion of a General Direct. A dedicated Direct or Treehouse segment seems to make the most sense.

Except no Smash characters which you can replace with new game announcements
Ooh.. I keep forgetting, that's a whole genre of Direct hype that's now gone.

I want something else instead. It was fun, but at the end it got kinda to formulaic and saturated to a degree.
We need something else that can hype us as well. I have NO idea what that would be.
Mario Kart 8 tracks? Certainly not on the same level for me, but I would imagine plenty are hyped about that, and I expect we'll be seeing which tracks make it in the next several Directs.

Still, nothing can compare to long term Smash hype. I don't think I'd ever get tired of it.

Mario Kart 8 tracks? Certainly not on the same level for me, but I would imagine plenty are hyped about that, and I expect we'll be seeing which tracks make it in the next several Directs.

Still, nothing can compare to long term Smash hype. I don't think I'd ever get tired of it.
Mario Strikers Battle League character hype of course

Thought of that, but that can make nobody outside of the mario kart fanbase hyped.
And Mario Kart 8 was already pretty long in the teeth. Ultimate was younger.

The character reveales made news even outside of smash circles.

Mario Strikers Battle League character hype of course
The real reason Daisy is missing, future Direct hype.

Thought of that, but that can make nobody outside of the mario kart fanbase hyped.
And Mario Kart 8 was already pretty long in the teeth. Ultimate was younger.

The character reveales made news even outside of smash circles.
Not much is going to have that kind of reach unless it includes characters from all over the industry. Smash trailers themselves are also super fun. We'll have to settle for a different type of hype until Smash 6.

The real reason Daisy is missing, future Direct hype.

Not much is going to have that kind of reach unless it includes characters from all over the industry. Smash trailers themselves are also super fun. We'll have to settle for a different type of hype until Smash 6.
Multiple Preanounced Game Releases maybe. A "collection" of the highest calliber. Maybe a "Nintendo Demake" collection, where current nintendo games and frnachises get a SNES/GBA style retro entry. And every direct we get the next one shown, and people can speculate what game will be demade.

Ok, out of the ordinary. Probably less hype.

I miss Smash character hype :(
I didn't even end up getting all of the DLC, but I was always extremely excited by these reveals. A big part of it was seeing the online reactions of fans of different series. I haven't touched a single Kingdom Hearts game, for example, but getting Sora was worth it for seeing so many people get so excited.

I didn't even end up getting all of the DLC, but I was always extremely excited by these reveals. A big part of it was seeing the online reactions of fans of different series. I haven't touched a single Kingdom Hearts game, for example, but getting Sora was worth it for seeing so many people get so excited.
The online reactions are amazing. The hype cycle for Smash is just a whole different beast, and one of the few times I'm just really into the promotion of a game. I do need to purchase every character though, my hype is still largely because I love the game and want as many characters as possible. I'd play 200 characters if that's how many they added.

I don’t miss Smash reveals. I started to get bored of it and it was like “oh I wonder what will be the big announcements for Nintendo in this direct?…” knowing it would be at least one new Smash character to start the direct off. The mentioned E3 2019 presentations big announcements from Nintendo were Banjo in Smash, Hero in Smash and BotW 2. Banjo was hype af though since I wanted them in Smash.

Now I can look forward to new game announcements starting the direct off. I can see a new Fire Emblem starting off the direct or a new 2D DK game. It’s refreshing. Way more exciting than Smash characters. Mario Kart tracks or new characters for Strikers is nowhere close to hype as a new game I can play.

I don’t miss Smash reveals. I started to get bored of it and it was like “oh I wonder what will be the big announcements for Nintendo in this direct?…” knowing it would be at least one new Smash character to start the direct off. The mentioned E3 2019 presentations big announcements from Nintendo were Banjo in Smash, Hero in Smash and BotW 2. Banjo was hype af though since I wanted them in Smash.

Now I can look forward to new game announcements starting the direct off. I can see a new Fire Emblem starting off the direct or a new 2D DK game. It’s refreshing. Way more exciting than Smash characters. Mario Kart tracks or new characters for Strikers is nowhere close to hype as a new game I can play.
Well it's not like they were making Smash characters instead of Fire Emblem. We still got plenty of other great announcements. The biggest E3 2019 announcement was easily BotW 2. Smash characters being announced doesn't make the other announcements lesser in my mind. It's just more things to be hyped about. To each their own though.

Well it's not like they were making Smash characters instead of Fire Emblem. We still got plenty of other great announcements. The biggest E3 2019 announcement was easily BotW 2. Smash characters being announced doesn't make the other announcements lesser in my mind. It's just more things to be hyped about. To each their own though.
Nintendo plans these things out. They automatically pencil in a Smash character announcement. If Smash character isn’t there they have other game announcements. Unless you seriously think if Smash wasn’t there in 2019 the only announcement they would’ve had was BotW 2.

Nintendo plans these things out. They automatically pencil in a Smash character announcement. If Smash character isn’t there they have other game announcements. Unless you seriously think if Smash wasn’t there in 2019 the only announcement they would’ve had was BotW 2.
I think they can only announce things that they're actually doing. They have to announce everything they're doing at some point, Smash characters don't prevent that. If they didn't have big Smash announcements for E3, they likely would have held an announcement from earlier that year, where they ended the Direct with Astral Chain and Link's Awakening, and just put that in the E3 Direct. It's not as if they'd announce Donkey Kong or something.

So I thought about this again, never thought to put it here and discuss it here but I feel like ARK may show up in the Direct. It's of course already out, and it's possibly the most horrendous looking game on Switch, but they're apparently rewrite the code entirely and bring it "up to par visually and functionally to Xbox One and PS4".

What's most interesting about this is that they speak of "a talented third party developer". Panic Button's next Switch work perhaps?
ARK Survival Evolved re-launch (from April 2022)

I think they can only announce things that they're actually doing. They have to announce everything they're doing at some point, Smash characters don't prevent that. If they didn't have big Smash announcements for E3, they likely would have held an announcement from earlier that year, where they ended the Direct with Astral Chain and Link's Awakening, and just put that in the E3 Direct. It's not as if they'd announce Donkey Kong or something.
Yeah, this is my take on it as well. Smash character reveals could generate a lot of hype for what was actually just small DLC packs. Obviously, new game announcements are great, but it's not like individual Smash DLC was taking resources that would result in full new games.

While not the same kind of hype as Smash reveals, I’m personally really excited Mario Kart track reveals are likely regular contenders for Direct announcements. Having an exciting announcement you are “guaranteed” to have is a good feeling amidst the uncertainty of the rest.

Wave 1 was out of nowhere and then had a painful one month wait for release. Wave 2 is definitely the one I’m most hyped for mainly because I remember how I felt about the original Mario Kart 8 DLC. The first wave of that was super welcome, but when we got wave 2 it felt like a substantial expansion. I play Mario Kart multiple times a week, so I’m really excited to have that feeling again with BP wave 2.

Beyond those two angles, Wave 2 of the booster pass is definitely the most exciting if you are extra hyped to begin with and saw the results of datamining. Basically we learned the spread of courses from which games the courses are coming from and have a leaked banner to work with that directly teased more courses (including one that appears entirely new). The interesting thing was that some courses aren’t labeled so just what are those courses? One of these unlabeled courses is in the next wave so we’ll see soon and if the spread of courses matches the first datamining. So yeah, I’m super excited for more Mario Kart!

Since we all know there won't be a Smash reveal... this would actually be the perfect time for a surprise Smash reveal!

Of what? I have no clue!
Out of nowhere free Waluigi. (I just think it’d be extra funny if he was next and sat next to Sora on the character select screen. Also I legitimately want him lol.)

I’ll always get hyped for a Smash character, though by the end of Ultimate’s DLC, I was done with the DLC drip feed.

DLC can’t compare to a new complete package of a new game, and I needed Smash to rest so it can bring that hype full force for the next entry.

It’s also an OCD thing, I just don’t like too much stuff being “tacked on” to a game if that makes sense.

I used to agree with this to an extent, going into each direct knowing what one of the 2 big announcements at the beginning/end would be was a little disappointing even as a big smash fan.

But after we had the overwatch port as a direct opener i just stopped expecting 2 big announcements

I used to agree with this to an extent, going into each direct knowing what one of the 2 big announcements at the beginning/end would be was a little disappointing even as a big smash fan.

But after we had the overwatch port as a direct opener i just stopped expecting 2 big announcements
I have to ask, are you guys saying you're disappointed in regards to when an announcement occurs in a Direct? Like the Direct where they opened with Mario Maker 2, if they opened with a Smash character instead and showed Mario Maker 2 after, does that lessen the Mario Maker announcement?

Or are people saying they actually think Nintendo would announce other games but opt not to because they have a Smash character? This seems weird since they pretty much announce all of their games via Directs.

I have to ask, are you guys saying you're disappointed in regards to when an announcement occurs in a Direct? Like the Direct where they opened with Mario Maker 2, if they opened with a Smash character instead and showed Mario Maker 2 after, does that lessen the Mario Maker announcement?

Or are people saying they actually think Nintendo would announce other games but opt not to because they have a Smash character? This seems weird since they pretty much announce all of their games via Directs.
I don't think they would've announced mario maker 2 in that direct if a smash character lined up better with the timing. They probably would've announced it in the direct beforehand in place of that really unpolished lm3 teaser they had

I don't think they would've announced mario maker 2 in that direct if a smash character lined up better with the timing. They probably would've announced it in the direct beforehand in place of that really unpolished lm3 teaser they had
Perhaps. It seems like we'd get the same announcements either way though. That Direct had a Smash character reveal and still opened with Luigi and ended with the Animal Crossing announcement. They've had plenty of Directs with Smash characters that didn't open/close the show.

I'm more inclined to think Nintendo will use the Smash announcement when they don't have anything bigger, not that they're pushing stuff out of the way because they have DLC characters to announce. They've had no problem announcing characters outside of Directs.

Perhaps. It seems like we'd get the same announcements either way though. That Direct had a Smash character reveal and still opened with Luigi and ended with the Animal Crossing announcement. They've had plenty of Directs with Smash characters that didn't open/close the show.

I'm more inclined to think Nintendo will use the Smash announcement when they don't have anything bigger, not that they're pushing stuff out of the way because they have DLC characters to announce. They've had no problem announcing characters outside of Directs.
The Animal Crossing announcement was much more of a smash reveal than an animal crossing reveal, to be fair. And we'd definitely get the same announcements but in this hypothetical scenario i imagine luigi's mansion 3 wouldve been saved for e3 2019 and we wouldve had to essentially wait 6 more months for that game's announcement because of the smash trailer. doesn't matter too much at the end of the day but i feel like its pretty likely that if most directs with smash trailers didnt have them they wouldve had another game reveal.

Surprised this hasn't happened yet. I guess the biggest issue for me is you couldn't have Sakurai and Scamco involved since they would shit all over the original game.

I think these type of comments is why Melee Definitive Edition will never be a thing. A Melee revision could never be perfect in the eyes of people who want it the most so why bother? Ultimate is still selling well and it has most of the Melee content the majority of the userbase is interested in.

I think these type of comments is why Melee Definitive Edition will never be a thing. A Melee revision could never be perfect in the eyes of people who want it the most so why bother? Ultimate is still selling well and it has most of the Melee content the majority of the userbase is interested in.
I was thinking the same thing.

Surprised this hasn't happened yet. I guess the biggest issue for me is you couldn't have Sakurai and Scamco involved since they would shit all over the original game.
Scamco? Shitting all over the original game? The hell is this nonsense lol

You haven't heard of SoulCalibur II HD Online? They outright destroyed whatever reputation that game had with their terrible remaster.
Nintendo would be involved with Melee, so the quality would be decent at worst. And isn't that just one game? Bandai Namco puts out decent projects 99% of the time. Just look at Smash Ultimate, Pokken, and New Pokemon Snap.

I’d like to think Nintendo would be better. Honestly, it’s more Sakurai than Nintendo since Nintendo’s spectrum of remasters is all over the place.

Nintendo would be involved with Melee, so the quality would be decent at worst. And isn't that just one game? Bandai Namco puts out decent projects 99% of the time. Just look at Smash Ultimate, Pokken, and New Pokemon Snap.
Bro, we're talking about a sacred cow that Sakurai has stated he would try to "fix" because the wave dashing was an unintentional glitch.

Bandai Namco couldn't get SCII right on their own. So why should anyone trust them with Nintendo and Sakurai hovering over their shoulder trying to fix something that isn't actually broken. Not to mention once the community flips shit over the unnecessary fixes BN would literally try to fix the game like they did SCIIHDO and it would end up being a bigger mess then when they started.

Oh, and good luck having rollback net code or decent online play with the Harada gang sitting down the hallway.

I miss the hype of Smash trailers, I don't miss "OMG ____ WAS UNDESERVED/STOLE A SLOT/SHOULD'VE BEEN (insert someone who had no chance here)"

I miss the hype of Smash trailers, I don't miss "OMG ____ WAS UNDESERVED/STOLE A SLOT/SHOULD'VE BEEN (insert someone who had no chance here)"
I don't miss all the half-joking half-serious complaining about Waluigi not getting in. I'd rather have a hundred other characters before Waluigi lol. I feel the same way about Daisy in Strikers Battle League.

Bro, we're talking about a sacred cow that Sakurai has stated he would try to "fix" because the wave dashing was an unintentional glitch.

Bandai Namco couldn't get SCII right on their own. So why should anyone trust them with Nintendo and Sakurai hovering over their shoulder trying to fix something that isn't actually broken. Not to mention once the community flips shit over the unnecessary fixes BN would literally try to fix the game like they did SCIIHDO and it would end up being a bigger mess then when they started.

Oh, and good luck having rollback net code or decent online play with the Harada gang sitting down the hallway.
Did Sakurai actually say that? I've never seen that quote and I can't imagine why he would say it since he's likely not even considering doing anything with Melee.

If this game ever existed, it would just be an NSO style release on a Gamecube app. If Nintendo were going to do this, I doubt they'd try to appeal to anyone aside Melee fans, since no one else is going to care. Sakurai wont have to worry about making it easier to play for beginners.

Did Sakurai actually say that? I've never seen that quote and I can't imagine why he would say it since he's likely not even considering doing anything with Melee.

If this game ever existed, it would just be an NSO style release on a Gamecube app. If Nintendo were going to do this, I doubt they'd try to appeal to anyone aside Melee fans, since no one else is going to care. Sakurai wont have to worry about making it easier to play for beginners.
I believe it was in an interview with Nintendo Power around the time Brawl released. I know Sakurai has stated that he dislikes Melee because the game's development made him sick because he had to crunch in order to get the game out for the Gamecube's launch window. This is what lead to the unintentional glitches and wave dashing.

As for the NSO comments, I would rather have that instead of a full blown remaster that tries to change everything about the original.

Melee HD doesn't strike me as a great idea. The casual audience is all in on Ultimate, and the hardcore fans would dislike every little changes, even bug fixes, and would go back to the original in a heartbeat.

Also I don't think GC NSO is happening, like, ever.

My personal take on it is that, even though I love Smash and enjoyed all the DLC, I wasn't tired of Smash opening or closing Directs because I believed they were taking other slots away, diminished other announcements, or affected the actual release of games/DLC, but because they kind of made the Directs as shows more predictable and thus not as entertaining. Because, yeah, Directs are glorified advertisements but they're also very much an entertainment show (otherwise we wouldn't have this immense hype around them).

I watched all the Sakurai Presents or whatever the deep dive video presentations for the DLC were called (my memory is horrible lol) and enjoyed them, though! Felt they were more fitting for regular DLC releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom