• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone posted this in the Metroid Prime Remaster topic. Kind of goes into a little background for this whole “Retro is working on Metroid Prime Remaster” situation

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ders-corroborate.490360/page-11#post-73958365

How funny. I was right in the middle of this when it happened and I still forgot all of it. I think his post still sets my expectations for the game a little too high for comfort. I'm guessing we'll have answers next month

reads Switch hardware rumours

200.gif

Being that you've already previously received multiple instances of feedback for similarly inflammatory rhetoric, this is your final warning. Please cease these targeted remarks. - Aurc, Donnie, blondkayvon
Yl0LUEF.png

Did he post anything else about Mario Musou?
How is that a counterargument?

Let's also just say that he claims things that aren't rooted in facts. Your favourite insiders are not the only one with sources. 🤫

How is that a counterargument?

Let's also just say that he claims things that aren't rooted in facts. Your favourite insiders are not the only one with sources. 🤫

It wasn't a "counterargument", it was a question. You wrote: "Nate came along and proclaimed that KT couldn't work on a Warriors game, because they were working on FE." I find that to be a very silly interpretation of the post I linked to so I was wondering if there was something else. But based on your post history this looks like it has become a bit of an obsession for you.

tbh I think Sunbreak and Three Hopes will probably only show up very briefly in one of the "coming out soon!" reels. Especially likely for the latter if we get the next new mainline FE revealed in the same Direct imo.
Maybe for Three Hopes but I can definitely see a final major trailer for Sunbreak being featured in the Direct since it's a console exclusive. Although on the other hand, Capcom did skip out the February Direct and just did their own digital event which was shit lol.

Someone posted this in the Metroid Prime Remaster topic. Kind of goes into a little background for this whole “Retro is working on Metroid Prime Remaster” situation

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ders-corroborate.490360/page-11#post-73958365

Wow, I dont remember reading that post,
its very informative (I would said more infos than anuthing we heard until now) and interesting when comes to development Metroid Prime games and what was Retro doing.

What's this latest "factory leak" about?
I don't know the full details, but the same "factory uncle" as they call them, who talked about the new back piece last month, further elaborated that they believe there is a new color variant in production at the moment for later this and they also expect the new model (Drake) to go into mass production this year but not for several more months.

I believe they also mentioned something about Furukawa cutting production orders.

I played pinball earlier, enjoyed it a lot. And I rarely check the nes app.
It’s good, but I doubt most people look at it and think they’re getting a good value out of their subscriptions because of it

Just got the Japanese N64 NSO App to my collection (just had to change region on the Nintendo Account website, so it is then tied to your account forever and you don’t have to switch anymore once you go back to your real region).

Man I really love the Japanese boxarts :). Also wow, General Pepper’s voice is way different in Japanese ^^.

Now maybe Nintendo could join all the regions in one NSO App and just have a menu like « Japan, USA, Europe » to choose what games / versions you want to play.

Now maybe Nintendo could join all the regions in one NSO App and just have a menu like « Japan, USA, Europe » to choose what games / versions you want to play.
For 1st party games they should do it but 3rd party there are probably license issues that don’t allow it

I am usually completely uninterested in remakes and remasters of games I have already played and own, but reading that report on the Metroid Prime remake makes me want to buy it right now. And that's coming from someone who replayed the entire trilogy less than one year ago.

But, hey, it's one of the greatest games of all time and, from the description, it will look fantastic. Plus, it doesn't hurt to help the Metroid franchise get a few more sales to show Nintendo they need to keep pumping out these games.

Just got the Japanese N64 NSO App to my collection (just had to change region on the Nintendo Account website, so it is then tied to your account forever and you don’t have to switch anymore once you go back to your real region).

Man I really love the Japanese boxarts :). Also wow, General Pepper’s voice is way different in Japanese ^^.

Doesn’t changing regions on an account wipe out your eshop credit if you have any?

I just made a Japanese eShop account instead of switching regions.

It wasn't a "counterargument", it was a question. You wrote: "Nate came along and proclaimed that KT couldn't work on a Warriors game, because they were working on FE." I find that to be a very silly interpretation of the post I linked to so I was wondering if there was something else. But based on your post history this looks like it has become a bit of an obsession for you.
No, nothing.

I checked with my sources and got my suspicions confirmed, so I have reasons to doubt his credibility.

Nintendo wants a month of uninterrupted news cycle all about them. With Sony's SoP now June 2nd, Nintendo will delay all announcements into July 🙃

I'm trying to come up with ideas for my fake 4-Chan leak right now. What's our thoughts on a 3D DK game that takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom with a weird looking Mario as the enemy?
Is it too late to suggest King K. Rool has his cape flipped over his head to look like Mario's hat, holds a plunger indicating that he is the real Mario™ plumber, and it's about as bad a disguise that Team Rocket ever used to fool Ash and co.?

reads Switch hardware rumours

200.gif
Wait, which rumours now am I missing? I swear I'm caught up on the Hardware Speculation thread.

I talked about it on the last page or two, it was from the same Chinese forum from which we heard the back piece rumor. I think it's been deleted but it was briefly discussed in the discord a few days ago.
So if I’m understanding correctly, they’re saying:

- (probably Scarlet/Violet themed) OLED variant this fall/holiday

- beefier model this fiscal year

So if I’m understanding correctly, they’re saying:

- (probably Scarlet/Violet themed) OLED variant this fall/holiday

- beefier model this fiscal year
That is what factory uncle says. Whether this is evidence based or just speculation (or if he's reliable or not) is currently unknown.

If there is new hardware, I'm hoping that it's just the Switch 2, not a Switch Pro. A lot of the discussion focuses on 4K output but at this point, I think any new hardware should carry Nintendo gaming for the next several (5+) years. 4K alone won't do that. A new piece of hardware should also include a substantial upgrade to the other components like the CPU, GPU, etc. The next generation of Switch. I know most of the early Switch 2 games will probably be cross platform but I think the upgrade should be substantial to allow for higher spec games in the future.

This goes without saying but whether it will be a Pro or Switch 2, it doesn't matter, that will just be how the device is marketed. Whether it's a Pro or a 2, it will be the same chip that's been leaked so there won't be any difference in power.

If that leak is true about another OLED colour, I wonder if it'll be revealed in a Nintendo Direct/Pokemon Presents or if it'll be a separate thing on its own.

If there is new hardware, I'm hoping that it's just the Switch 2, not a Switch Pro. A lot of the discussion focuses on 4K output but at this point, I think any new hardware should carry Nintendo gaming for the next several (5+) years. 4K alone won't do that. A new piece of hardware should also include a substantial upgrade to the other components like the CPU, GPU, etc. The next generation of Switch. I know most of the early Switch 2 games will probably be cross platform but I think the upgrade should be substantial to allow for higher spec games in the future.
I really think this bears repeating:

Please stop thinking of this new hardware on a “revision/successor” binary. From everything we know and from my understanding, this unit is:

• Capable of outputting a 4K video signal.
  • Capable of rending games at 4K resolution, with the help of DLSS technology.
  • Will probably play the vast majority of existing Switch games.

Is it a successor or revision? I don’t think it’s that clear cut, and I frankly don’t think it will ever be. It’ll have exclusive games that take advantage of the new hardware capabilities, but it won’t be positioned as a successor.

They’ve got 100 million Switches out there and momentum is extremely strong. A lot of people just bought a Switch. They’re not going to say to those people “the thing you bought is now outdated, buy the new one.” They’re going to position the new unit as an optional premium model for enthusiasts, targeting current Switch owners who want more out of the unit, but will publicly maintain that the base/lite/OLEDs are also still relevant and will be getting MOST (but not all) of the same software as the new model. If you’re one of the millions who bought a Switch for Animal Crossing, you’re probably not the target demo for the premium model. In my head I’ve been thinking of the new Premium Model as the “Digital Foundry Subscriber Model.” It’s for the people who already know what DLSS is, what a “frame rate” is, etc.

It is going to be positioned (and priced) as the model for people who already know they want it.

Please stop thinking of this new hardware on a “revision/successor” binary. From everything we know and from my understanding, this unit is:

Is it a successor or revision? I don’t think it’s that clear cut, and I frankly don’t think it will ever be. It’ll have exclusive games that take advantage of the new hardware capabilities, but it won’t be positioned as a successor.
that's just the PS5 though

with the state of the industry's cross-gen I think they could absolutely just call this thing the Switch 2 and keep making games for both

that's just the PS5 though

with the state of the industry's cross-gen I think they could absolutely just call this thing the Switch 2 and keep making games for both
I think it’s more like a PS4 Pro but they’re gonna let devs/pubs say “you can’t play this game on a base model.” It’s definitely between a PS4 Pro and PS5 on the “what’s the positioning“ scale.

Switch 2 just sounds so weird for Nintendo, I am not saying they will go for name as bad as Wii U was but for some reason just simple "Switch 2" sounds weird to me. Like "This game launches next month on Switch 2". Switch brand is strong so they will keep that but am not really sure on "2".

I want a Switch Pro as much as everyone else but at this point hardware speculation just makes me sad since it never pans out.

Switch 2 just sounds so weird for Nintendo, I am not saying they will go for name as bad as Wii U was but for some reason just simple "Switch 2" sounds weird to me. Like "This game launches next month on Switch 2". Switch brand is strong so they will keep that but am not really sure on "2".
Plus if I'm not mistaken, PlayStation is the only console that has ever done the 2, 3, 4 naming (unless you count Xbox One, which I don't because like why'd they do that), so Nintendo will most likely give it a name instead of a number (and we'll still have people online arguing over whether that name means it's a 2 or a Pro so they can take their respective victory lap)

I’d honestly put my money on “Nintendo Switch — Premium Model” Or “Nintendo Switch — 4K Model.”

Look, they named the OLED, officially, “Nintendo Switch — OLED Model.” The most matter-of-fact, no-nonsense name they could have POSSIBLY come up with. I think in naming it that, they’ve shown they’re not really afraid of hiding base-level technology terminology from their audience anymore. I think “DLSS” is a bit too deep, but you’d be hard pressed to find someone who has bought a TV in the past 5 years who doesn’t know what 4K means that would be in the target demo for this product anyway.

As I’ve said, I think this is going to be aimed at the people who already know they want it. I think it’s less a ”Switch Pro” in the PS4 Pro sense, more a “Switch Pro“ in the iPad Pro sense. It’s going for people who know what the benefits are and are willing to spend to get them.

I really think this bears repeating:

They’ve got 100 million Switches out there and momentum is extremely strong. A lot of people just bought a Switch. They’re not going to say to those people “the thing you bought is now outdated, buy the new one.” They’re going to position the new unit as an optional premium model for enthusiasts, targeting current Switch owners who want more out of the unit, but will publicly maintain that the base/lite/OLEDs are also still relevant and will be getting MOST (but not all) of the same software as the new model. If you’re one of the millions who bought a Switch for Animal Crossing, you’re probably not the target demo for the premium model. In my head I’ve been thinking of the new Premium Model as the “Digital Foundry Subscriber Model.” It’s for the people who already know what DLSS is, what a “frame rate” is, etc.

It is going to be positioned (and priced) as the model for people who already know they want it.

Whether what the hardware is or isn't, I'm stating what I hope it is. Let's say it comes out early next year, that would be 6 years since the Switch launch. That's a full console generation. At that point, I think the hardware needs to be something more. I think you laid out a good argument as to why a 4K Switch with just DLSS isn't substantial enough. You're right that the Switch is still very popular and still selling well. That makes the case for not needing to put out brand new hardware. Then there's the audience who want the next-gen Switch. A 4K Switch wouldn't satisfy either market. The target audience for this thing would be people in the middle ground who are happy paying for better resolution and nothing more. I don't think that market is huge and it would still require Nintendo to release a true next-gen Switch a year or two later.

I think he means the alternative of "The New Nintendo Switch" or "Nintendo Switch Advance" or some other horrible name

Switch Advance is a great name. 😤

I’d honestly put my money on “Nintendo Switch — Premium Model” Or “Nintendo Switch — 4K Model.”

Look, they named the OLED, officially, “Nintendo Switch — OLED Model.” The most matter-of-fact, no-nonsense name they could have POSSIBLY come up with. I think in naming it that, they’ve shown they’re not really afraid of hiding base-level technology terminology from their audience anymore. I think “DLSS” is a bit too deep, but you’d be hard pressed to find someone who has bought a TV in the past 5 years who doesn’t know what 4K means that would be in the target demo for this product anyway.
I think 4K model would've worked for a minor revision that enabled 4K output (analogous to Game Boy -> Game Boy Color), but I don't think it does enough to communicate the sheer increase in power that Drake is. Of course they can call it whatever they want but I think it's underselling it.

Super Nintendo Switch
Embrace the fear yall
this message brought to you by a geriatric millennial who dreads the fading of his own relevance

Plus if I'm not mistaken, PlayStation is the only console that has ever done the 2, 3, 4 naming (unless you count Xbox One, which I don't because like why'd they do that), so Nintendo will most likely give it a name instead of a number (and we'll still have people online arguing over whether that name means it's a 2 or a Pro so they can take their respective victory lap)

I disagree. Even more now so than ever before, the general public is accustomed to "bigger number = better than what came before/what I have". It's simple, it's straightforward, and you avoid any Wii U style nonsense on the same token by trying to go for a "quirky" name like "New", "Super", "Advance" or the like. Besides, if we recall what Iwata said ages ago, Nintendo doesn't even see Sony as their main "rival" anymore. It's Apple.

And I think it's high time they start truly acting like such. There's no baseline confusion over what an iPhone 13 offers customers, to say the least. And so long as backwards compatibility is assured, I'm fine with that.

Dragon's Dogma 2 upsets me. Not because it's not exciting, but because it feels like 99% likely it'll skip Switch. I loved playing DD on Switch, probably more than even Rise.
By the time DD2 actually comes out, who knows, Switch's successor may indeed be the thing we're talking about. In which case, maybe a late port for that will be in the cards.

OLED color variant seems… normal? That’s par the course every single generation. There’s no surprise there a new color variant is coming. The Switch Pro info is what I want more of

I disagree. Even more now so than ever before, the general public is accustomed to "bigger number = better than what came before/what I have". It's simple, it's straightforward, and you avoid any Wii U style nonsense on the same token by trying to go for a "quirky" name like "New", "Super", "Advance" or the like. Besides, if we recall what Iwata said ages ago, Nintendo doesn't even see Sony as their main "rival" anymore. It's Apple.

And I think it's high time they start truly acting like such. There's no baseline confusion over what an iPhone 13 offers customers, to say the least. And so long as backwards compatibility is assured, I'm fine with that.

By the time DD2 actually comes out, who knows, Switch's successor may indeed be the thing we're talking about. In which case, maybe a late port for that will be in the cards.
I 100% get that the public is accustomed to it, and it would make sense in communicating what it is. And especially after WiiU, Nintendo needs to be able to communicate that this is a big leap, not simply another option. I just think Nintendo wouldn't do a thing that could come across as copying PlayStation's naming convention, is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom