• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just gimme BotW2 and truly new 2022 2D Mario trailers, back-to-back, without commentary or anything else, and leave it at that. I'd be psyched.

Now I really hope the next 2D Mario is titled Truly New Super Mario Bros.

I'm just thinking of that habit in the past where Nintendo will happily skip a game out of Directs even after just showing footage or announcing it: e.g. Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing skipping the February 2019 Direct after their announcement the previous September; or more recently, Bayonetta 3 skipping February 2022 after finally turning up in the September 2021 Direct. There are probably some other examples.

That being said, I don't think Nintendo would hang on to Zelda and keep it out of view unless they had something else huge to announce this Direct.

edit - now I think about it, though, have we had Zelda in a Direct since June 2021?

Pretty sure BotW2 was absent at both Sept and Feb directs. It could also be absent in the upcoming Direct but if it is I think they would need 1 or 2 big announcements to make up for it, like say MP4, Pikmin 4, or another first-party holiday game if there is one.

Last edited:
They showed 3 seconds of new BotW2 footage in the launch timing update. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a short title drop trailer.

Tbh I'd prefer a Zelda 2D remakes to WW/TP HD...
We already got SS HD as a Zelda 3D remaster and we will get BotW2 next year. I miss my Zelda 2D.

Agreed. I'd gladly take a new 2D Zelda or the Oracle games this year.

TP/WW just make more sense since they already have Wii-U ports released.

In the last Kit&Krysta show they talked about their expectations for the next Nintendo Direct, and they talk explicitly about how Nintendo is clearly trying to distance themselves from Geoff’s Summer Game Fest. Is it true? What’s the reason? This info matches completely the late date of this Direct.

Geoff is running a business and trying to squeeze a profit from his events (Summer Game Fest, The Game Awards). His business model is to charge publishers a big fee to show trailers and announcements during his events. Sometimes, if a game is really exciting, Geoff might wave the fee because he knows it'll generate social media buzz for his show.

But from Nintendo's point of view, maybe Geoff's terms and conditions aren't very appealing?
I think Nintendo looks at Geoff's business model and says, "So, why do we need you exactly?"

Nintendo Directs were specifically created to share marketing messages directly to consumers, rather than relying on the media as a middle-man. In a social media world, how does Nintendo benefit from dealing with a "middle-man" like Geoff Keighley?

I would argue that Geoff would benefit more from Nintendo being a part of his show than vice versa so Nintendo does not need him.

No. The last new footage we saw were the 7 new seconds in the delay announcement video this year.
Right. In which case I think a Direct appearance is much likelier. I think my brain conflated the delay footage with the February Direct, but it came outside of it.

Emily's logic isn't conspiracy theory enough. So I'm gonna stick to my belief that Mr. Nintendo is upset that Reggie left so they are scorning Reggie's former lover, Geoff, by not having their Directs around Summer Game Fest.

I would argue that Geoff would benefit more from Nintendo being a part of his show than vice versa so Nintendo does not need him.
Right…at the same time, though, they could easily just do the Direct at the same time if they wanted to. Geoff doesn’t have a monopoly on YouTube during his event, you know? They can do the Direct whenever they want and just make it clear they’re not associated with him if they want. Or just not acknowledge Game Fest at all.

Not doing a Direct and not being part of Game Fest are two separate things.

The true behind late June-Direct is because Nintendo want to announce a new hardware prior to their next showcase.

at least, in my dreams it was because of this

'-'

Honestly I think the June 28th/29th date is because we're getting a trailer for the Mario movie, and the trailer will then be in cinemas with the Minions movie which is out that same week.
Wow, didn't think of this at all. Yeah, I could see Nintendo wanting to control that narrative and have the first teaser for the Mario movie in a Direct. They've already shown that they're fine with having movie stuff in Directs, so why not?

Geoff is running a business and trying to squeeze a profit from his events (Summer Game Fest, The Game Awards). His business model is to charge publishers a big fee to show trailers and announcements during his events. Sometimes, if a game is really exciting, Geoff might wave the fee because he knows it'll generate social media buzz for his show.

But from Nintendo's point of view, maybe Geoff's terms and conditions aren't very appealing?
I think Nintendo looks at Geoff's business model and says, "So, why do we need you exactly?"

Nintendo Directs were specifically created to share marketing messages directly to consumers, rather than relying on the media as a middle-man. In a social media world, how does Nintendo benefit from dealing with a "middle-man" like Geoff Keighley?
Thank you very much for your take on the subject! <3

Basically ESA and Nintendo are very close together both parties dont want to ruin their relationship, you probably notice Geoff hasnt gotten many Nintendo stuff lately beside ads for console and games line up I heard from someone TAKE THIS WITH A HUGE GRAIN OF SALT that Nintendo are frustrated with Geoff/Gameslice putting on multiple events and overlapping a certain one, Nintendo feels like there is no benfit to gain to use his platform anymore it was described as "before Geoff was making something special now it feel like he putting on a Jimmy Fallon Show each important event for gaming for the sake of it". Like I said TAKE THIS WITH A HUGE GRAIN OF SALT this person also told me about Play Days few month ahead.

Honestly I think the June 28th/29th date is because we're getting a trailer for the Mario movie, and the trailer will then be in cinemas with the Minions movie which is out that same week.
I want to believe it's more that Nintendo wanted space after all the other June news, and that they wanted to wait until after FETH released so that they can give it a few days on its own before announcing the new FE game.

... but I'm really, really afraid that you're correct

Wow, didn't think of this at all. Yeah, I could see Nintendo wanting to control that narrative and have the first teaser for the Mario movie in a Direct. They've already shown that they're fine with having movie stuff in Directs, so why not?
Yup. I have to remind myself that casting announcement wasn't a fever dream, but it did happen.

Best-case scenario is there's a movie trailer and a new game trailer. Let's a go!

I want to believe it's more that Nintendo wanted space after all the other June news, and that they wanted to wait until after FETH released so that they can give it a few days on its own before announcing the new FE game.

... but I'm really, really afraid that you're correct
Could be the combination of reasons that applied to Nintendo, to be fair. That being said, I don't think Warriors would stop Nintendo from announcing a new mainline Fire Emblem. Warriors exists because Nintendo knows FE has a passionate fanbase, so I don't think they'd fear undermining the spin-off by announcing a new game.

I absolutely think Nintendo want to maximise their own exposure, though, and that's why they're letting other events happen first. Then they go with the one-two of a Direct plus the Mario movie trailer and that maximises publicity for them and their brands.

A remaster for the anniversary this year seems to be the heavy rumor right now. I would be surprised if it didn't happen. Emily even chimed in on this one, so as far as I am concerned, it is a done deal.
While true, doesn't mean it'll show up. I'm hoping, cause I would kill to replay MP again.

Showing trailer for a movie which will not be out in 10 or so months is somewhat a red flag to me.

While true, doesn't mean it'll show up. I'm hoping, cause I would kill to replay MP again.
With how long MP4 has been in development (even after the move to Retro), I would be insanity to not have a remake/remaster of Prime 1 ready for its anniversary to open the door for MP4. I think if Metroid Prime is not a game for this fall, it was all BS in the first place. I trust Emily and Nate on this one, for sure.

I’ve come to learn over the years to have zero expectations from Nintendo directs. It’s better to be pleasantly surprised if games you want are shown. Just my personal opinion though.

Yeah pretty much nail on the coffin. E3 next year is going be very intresting imo I know lot of publishers are going with them instead of Gameslice next year because of the added benfits. People have been discussing privatley with each other on what path they want to take next year.

I’ve come to learn over the years to have zero expectations from Nintendo directs. It’s better to be pleasantly surprised if games you want are shown. Just my personal opinion though.
The good thing about Nintendo's marketing cycles is that (despite Bayonetta, BotW2 and MP4) they tend to keep announcements and game reveals really close to their chest. Every direct comes with the minimum expectation of one big new first party game announcement. Whether that game is for everyone is one thing, but they at least keep things exciting.

Basically ESA and Nintendo are very close together both parties dont want to ruin their relationship, you probably notice Geoff hasnt gotten many Nintendo stuff lately beside ads for console and games line up I heard from someone TAKE THIS WITH A HUGE GRAIN OF SALT that Nintendo are frustrated with Geoff/Gameslice putting on multiple events and overlapping a certain one, Nintendo feels like there is no benfit to gain to use his platform anymore it was described as "before Geoff was making something special now it feel like he putting on a Jimmy Fallon Show each important event for gaming for the sake of it". Like I said TAKE THIS WITH A HUGE GRAIN OF SALT this person also told me about Play Days few month ahead.
I don't think it's so much that the ESA and Nintendo are buddies and more that the E3 showfloor was still valuable to Nintendo. but now that Nintendo is pulling out of GamesCom, I have to wonder how much longer the Nintendo/ESA relationship will last

I don't think it's so much that the ESA and Nintendo are buddies and more that the E3 showfloor was still valuable to Nintendo. but now that Nintendo is pulling out of GamesCom, I have to wonder how much longer the Nintendo/ESA relationship will last
Activision has pulled out today and PlayStation as well, Gamescom is huge can of worms to get into but many company police is not attend these big conventions still because of COVID.

Seems reasonable. I Always thought that SGF and TGA are not the Ideal Showcase ti show Nintendo games in the First place: Nintendo IP are very popular and all, but the audience of these shows Is very info narrative driven/cinematic games, so to me Nintendo games are like the odd ones in this venues. But of course, what you Said Is far more reasonable

Bleh. Please no. I've been meaning to shitpost about "June Direct? You mean The Super Mario Movie Preview event?" but now I don't have the energy to

Just do a "hey, stick around after the Direct for a first look at the Mario movie!" announcement beforehand if need be

The main differences from Nate:
next FE is not being made by the Three Houses team but is a collab between IS and Gust who are assisting with visuals
No mention of the red/blue and returning characters stuff.
Also an FE4 remake being made fully internally at IS(not sure if Nate corroborates this part or not)
I have said several times FE4 Remake is at IS.

I have said several times FE4 Remake is at IS.
Do you know how long this has been in the works? My guess was that concept development probably started way back in 2017, after Shadows of Valentia, but that full production maybe only started in 2020 once Origami King was done and Intelligent Systems had more access to their own staff.

Do you know how long this has been in the works? My guess was that concept development probably started way back in 2017, after Shadows of Valentia, but that full production maybe only started in 2020 once Origami King was done and Intelligent Systems had more access to their own staff.
It's been a while. The date of release has changed internally a few times due to development problems -- COVID being one factor.

What are the chances of DQHD game not being announced for Switch but only the current Gen consoles? (With MS paying a sack of monies to SE to release it on GP)

Well it is square so you can never rule anything out.

That being said, I would be shocked if DQ 3 missed the Switch.

What are the chances of DQHD game not being announced for Switch but only the current Gen consoles? (With MS paying a sack of monies to SE to release it on GP)
DQ3HD? 0 chances, there is a higher chance of it being Switch exclusive at launch than the game skipping the Switch. Only DQ that has any chance of skipping Switch is DQXII

[Deleted]
The Xenoblade/Splatoon switcheroo absolutely showed us most clearly that these dates do move around and that Nintendo is constantly strategizing its lineup. Can't wait for all 3 of those projects (one of them ironically), and really appreciate your insight :)

So what yet-to-be-announced games do we think might show up here? We still have:

-Batman Arkham Collection
-Borderlands 3
-XCOM Chimera Squad

…I think there are one or two more I’m forgetting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom