• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Nate Drake hints about F zero in 2023.

Never played GX. How did it differ?
Never played X before NSO, grew up with GX (but never unlocked the diamond cup)

I honestly couldn't tell you beyond power offered by their respective consoles. The controls on both are supremely tight and there's the added benefit of analog triggers on GC controllers to better fine tune the drifting capabilities.

X had more comic stylings throughout, GX had voice acted cutscenes in between story mission modes that were just pure cheese.

Courses in X are nice but I love the detail (and especially the increased draw distance) in GX.

Plus GX had a vehicle creator mode and let you put in any existing racer you liked.

Raccoon isn't around to pump up the X soundtrack but I still like GX more

If I can play more of each game come February I'd want to give a better side by side review, and hopefully I can make a thread write up before this rumoured game is officially announced

If it is GX, I hope they redo the voice work. GX is a great game, but it has some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard.
I actually liked the voice work. I think they were aiming for comical. It was cheesy as hell, but not terrible. Just a good nostalgia for me on the late 90s/early 00s.

I can't wait to hear the music all over. Some of the character themes were really good. Captain Falcon, Dr Stewart, Jack Levin, Baba, and Phoenix. i've actually haven't heard most of the character songs in full.

Last edited:
F-Zero GX is such a complete, fleshed out experience that a graphical remake of it will suffice to me. I probably wouldn't even want new tracks, since you'd have to get RGG on it to make something with comparable quality to the original

I'm officially in the year that a new F-Zero is supposed to be announced.

Also I checked the Resetera thread on this, and they have a thread for the same leak back in October. Is SyluxHunter credible?
Never heard of them.
Sylux was basically a troll to destroy samushunter lol

In saying that, they were the first to say there would be MK8D DLC, they also stated Bayo3’s release date about 3 weeks beofre it was of originally revealed, and the day before the release date was announced said “Bayonetta 3 news tomorrow”. They also recently shut down rumours that a new Spyro game has been in development since 2020, and tbat all the hints towards Spyro 4 were nothing.

There’s also this tweet which Nate responded to

I’d say they’re credible, even if they did just want to shut down fake ass leakers lol

Sylux was basically a troll to destroy samushunter lol

In saying that, they were the first to say there would be MK8D DLC, they also stated Bayo3’s release date about 3 weeks beofre it was of originally revealed, and the day before the release date was announced said “Bayonetta 3 news tomorrow”. They also recently shut down rumours that a new Spyro game has been in development since 2020, and tbat all the hints towards Spyro 4 were nothing.

There’s also this tweet which Nate responded to

I’d say they’re credible, even if they did just want to shut down fake ass leakers lol

Thank you.

This does give me even more hope,

Well yeah, I'm assuming that if someone else is doing it, it's because they either had a particular pitch that Nintendo liked, or because Nintendo felt that company had something unique to offer.
Would that also be the case with Sumo? I don't know much about them other that they made the latest (and some prior?) Sackboy games.
they made the Sonic and Sega Racing games among many many others. Sumo is huge

In a case like this, assuming a company like Sumo Digital would be working on a remaster as posited, one of those unique attributes to offer could be further partnership going forward: such a remaster/remake could be to test for prospective future development in this space. Come to think of it, I think this move have been mentioned at some point already.

Some of that would also likely depend on the scale of the project, its intensity, and what all it really entails. I'm not sure replacing textures and such would point to that, but maybe there could be something.

Maybe lines got crossed and Nintendo was looking for someone to remaster GX but instead received a brand new pitch that intrigued them.

In any case, I think we can recognize Shin'en is unlikely to take part in either case, given their previous statements of disinterest.

I think it's sad that you see my post and can only think, "You are attacking his character! You are not properly engaging in the field of ideas! You are trying to give yourself the moral high ground!"

[This is being moved up front because I think it's important to acknowledge it first. We both agree that the implication such concerns should remain unvoiced went too far -- a sentiment I'd noted for both parts of his post. Any reply on the subject at all was initially going to focus primarily on commenting upon those aspects of Belly's post; however, it seemed saying his own post was shutting down angles of discussion would come across clear with just that statement, whereas it seemed the part that ended up longer would, without further detail, come across as flippant]

This segment is here simply because, if my original post was that obtuse, the clarification might be necessary in general. I think I condensed it enough to not be an "essay," but even just this part is already too long, so I'll just spoiler the clarification.

The whole thing of "casting aspersions on one's character so as to form a moral high ground wherein anything that isn't entirely congruent can be immediately discarded, without truly engaging with what was said" was not a suggestion that one should stay silent -- as evidenced by my own comment on the matter --; rather, it was a description of a tactic I've seen from various angles over the years to shut down the potential for any reply, from the person in question or otherwise, wherein any reply that's not entirely affirmative simply falls under the implications.

I can take you at your word that this wasn't what was intended, and that it was meant to convey something particular about what it was in response to. The posts did read to me as akin to the tactics I've described, as I'm not entirely sure how the specified meaning carries through them, but that might just be me importing these prior observations?

It appears most seem to have understood your intended meaning as you've described, though, in which case there seems to have been a fundamental misunderstanding on both parts (wherein I got the impression that tactic was in play and you thought I was merely taking offense on someone's behalf).

The thesis of that post segment -- simply that this was an example of what was mentioned -- was stated four times and specifically italicized each time to try to make clear that was the topic. This lengthened the segment but was only restated to keep the explanation anchored. It appears, however, this was ineffective.

The rest was showing how it achieves that -- by casting everything in such a way that any further statement can be immediately discounted regardless of what that statement is or who made it -- which seemed important so as to ensure the immediate point didn't come across as flippant. This then necessitated the restatements to anchor the whole segment, which, again, seems to have been ineffective.

I'm not entirely sure what manner of "debate" you're expecting on those premises, but if you feel the need to you can PM me, I guess?

3D Classics: F-Zero would have been a really cool 3DS game. Think about that one a lot, shame we only got 6 of them.
That would have really been something. I'm not sure what the outcome would have ended up being, but the experience could have been spectacular.

Plus, MK8D + BCP is just raking in a bunch of bonus money. This gen is perfect for a new entry to just exist.
This has been largely my take on the situation this gen. The Mario Kart situation provided additional leeway for the team to work on something else, and it could have also been leveraged for an F-Zero release.

As for the suggestion that we haven't seen an F-Zero in so long because Nintendo hasn't had a premier powerful console of which they wanted to highlight the graphics, I could see something like that to an extent, though the handheld games might not quite fit the idea. I would suspect the cause had more primarily been the lagging and declining sales figures. However, yeah, I do see where the series could be used to showcase some capability of what the consoles can do in that space.

F-Zero GX is such a complete, fleshed out experience that a graphical remake of it will suffice to me. I probably wouldn't even want new tracks, since you'd have to get RGG on it to make something with comparable quality to the original

That game was made 20 years ago. Whatever active development staff is still ar RGG is so far removed.

Any competent tech savvy developer could do an acceptable HD remaster of the title. Although I think most passionate developers could probably add levels - no way the producers are green lighting that much extra. It be a win to get an online mode along the HD remaster.

[This is being moved up front because I think it's important to acknowledge it first. We both agree that the implication such concerns should remain unvoiced went too far -- a sentiment I'd noted for both parts of his post. Any reply on the subject at all was initially going to focus primarily on commenting upon those aspects of Belly's post; however, it seemed saying his own post was shutting down angles of discussion would come across clear with just that statement, whereas it seemed the part that ended up longer would, without further detail, come across as flippant]

This segment is here simply because, if my original post was that obtuse, the clarification might be necessary in general. I think I condensed it enough to not be an "essay," but even just this part is already too long, so I'll just spoiler the clarification.

The whole thing of "casting aspersions on one's character so as to form a moral high ground wherein anything that isn't entirely congruent can be immediately discarded, without truly engaging with what was said" was not a suggestion that one should stay silent -- as evidenced by my own comment on the matter --; rather, it was a description of a tactic I've seen from various angles over the years to shut down the potential for any reply, from the person in question or otherwise, wherein any reply that's not entirely affirmative simply falls under the implications.

I can take you at your word that this wasn't what was intended, and that it was meant to convey something particular about what it was in response to. The posts did read to me as akin to the tactics I've described, as I'm not entirely sure how the specified meaning carries through them, but that might just be me importing these prior observations?

It appears most seem to have understood your intended meaning as you've described, though, in which case there seems to have been a fundamental misunderstanding on both parts (wherein I got the impression that tactic was in play and you thought I was merely taking offense on someone's behalf).

The thesis of that post segment -- simply that this was an example of what was mentioned -- was stated four times and specifically italicized each time to try to make clear that was the topic. This lengthened the segment but was only restated to keep the explanation anchored. It appears, however, this was ineffective.

The rest was showing how it achieves that -- by casting everything in such a way that any further statement can be immediately discounted regardless of what that statement is or who made it -- which seemed important so as to ensure the immediate point didn't come across as flippant. This then necessitated the restatements to anchor the whole segment, which, again, seems to have been ineffective.

I'm not entirely sure what manner of "debate" you're expecting on those premises, but if you feel the need to you can PM me, I guess?

1) It has been two days. The topic has moved on. I have moved on. Can't you?

2) If you want your point to get across, write it in a paragraph or less. Don't you want to be understood?

3) The "debate" I'm talking is an assumption on my part, based on previous interactions with you and others like you. There are plenty of people who want queer people like me be civil at all times, and to engage in a "debate" regarding the nature of my conduct when I have not. Perhaps you don't count yourself among them, but the similarity to me is most striking.

That game was made 20 years ago. Whatever active development staff is still ar RGG is so far removed.

Any competent tech savvy developer could do an acceptable HD remaster of the title. Although I think most passionate developers could probably add levels - no way the producers are green lighting that much extra. It be a win to get an online mode along the HD remaster.
As a side note, it's worth bringing up Nier: Replicant. That was more complex of a development than a remaster (they retooled the combat completely, added entirely new story and gameplay sequences, and a new ending. But even though a number of the staff involved worked on the original version from a decade before, the old code was still apparently a pain in the ass to work with.

An online mode in a theoretical GX remaster would be great, but I would not expect them to go nuts with new content. There comes a point where the effort could just as easily go into a new game entirely.

work on games for Switch? nah, that was Nagoshi. he was in charge of many games and could have had switch versions for them but didn't d
He said yakuza wouldn't fit on the switch and that's what they mainly had worked on it. he also said he'd like to make another F-Zero if the opportunity raises. They put Yakuza on Wii U and got burned... Last Time I checked Monkey Ball is on Switch too, which is a RGG/Nagoshi game. How does this translate to "I hate Nintendo"?

He said yakuza wouldn't fit on the switch and that's what they mainly had worked on it. he also said he'd like to make another F-Zero if the opportunity raises. They put Yakuza on Wii U and got burned... Last Time I checked Monkey Ball is on Switch too, which is a RGG/Nagoshi game. How does this translate to "I hate Nintendo"?
I never said he hated Nintendo anyway so don't ask me.

Really proud to see so many people here having a go at leakers, especially given their forum celebrity status and domination of all discussion despite the sheer amount of high-profile predictions they've got wrong in recent years. Well done all :)

Music and track layout. I vastly preferred the Music in X (Dream Chaser is so underrated) and I think the track layout was better.

If this is a brand new game I want the rocking music from X and not the step down that was GX

I think a lot of the "Nagoshi hates Nintendo" stuff came from an interview where he was talking about Nintendo selling best with kids and teens, which got sorta harshly translated as "Nintendo is a system for kids" and led to months of that quote being passed around anytime someone asked why certain Sega games weren't being ported.

Whoa, I knew GX was made by Sega but I never knew it was by a lot of the Yakuza team. That's nuts
And that team (Amusement Vision) was also responsible for the original Super Monkey Ball games, and it would suddenly make a whole lot of sense to have a team who's really good at managing physics with a terrain that could move to make a game like F-Zero.

I think a lot of the "Nagoshi hates Nintendo" stuff came from an interview where he was talking about Nintendo selling best with kids and teens, which got sorta harshly translated as "Nintendo is a system for kids" and led to months of that quote being passed around anytime someone asked why certain Sega games weren't being ported.
I think it was the one-two punch of that misquoted statement* and another interview in which he went on a mostly unprompted tangent about how handhelds were going away and games like Sakura Wars were only on PS4 because they were for people who had "graduated" from handhelds.

*Incidentally, the actual quote was something along the lines of "Even today Nintendo hardware is mostly played by children and teenagers" which, while much less inflammatory, is nowadays simply wrong.

demographics-2022-656x369.jpg

I think it was the one-two punch of that misquoted statement* and another interview in which he went on a mostly unprompted tangent about how handhelds were going away and games like Sakura Wars were only on PS4 because they were for people who had "graduated" from handhelds.

*Incidentally, the actual quote was something along the lines of "Even today Nintendo hardware is mostly played by children and teenagers" which, while much less inflammatory, is nowadays simply wrong.

demographics-2022-656x369.jpg
Oh no kidding, yeah that's all worse than I thought geez.

Oh no kidding, yeah that's all worse than I thought geez.
For what is worth, I don't think Nagoshi is really anti-Nintendo or anything like that. I mean, if he was, many Sega projects which released on Nintendo systems wouldn't have happened at all.

I do believe, however, that he has a very, very positive impression of Sony. There was at least one interview in which he kinda lamented that with Nintendo (and later with Microsoft) he frequently had to convince them that his projects were worth their attention, whereas Sony always "got" him. And sometimes, if you really like something out of a group of choices, it may end up looking like you have something against the other choices. But again, I don't think that's the case here.

Last edited:
Can't wait to Falcon Punch my way to victory or something. I don't know, I don't play visual novels or whatever this is.

For what is worth, I don't think Nagoshi is really anti-Nintendo or anything like that. I mean, if he was, many Sega projects which released on Nintendo systems wouldn't have happened at all.

I do believe, however, that he has a very, very positive impression of Sony. There was at least one interview in which he kinda lamented that with Nintendo (and later with Microsoft) he frequently had to convince them that his projects were worth their attention, whereas Sony always "got" him. And sometimes, if you really like something out of a group of choices, it may end up looking like you have something against the other choices. But again, I don't think that's the case here.
Don’t forget about this one too from Like a Dragon producer. As they say the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
Nagoshi may not hate Nintendo but he leans very hard in one direction. His upcoming games at the new studio show that.

Don’t forget about this one too from Like a Dragon producer. As they say the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
Oh, yeah, I did my fair share of mocking of those statements back when they first appeared. While it is, in my opinion, an incredibly boneheaded decision, I still believe that currently the "problem" is just what I wrote on that thread:
I think it is just a case of following the mentality of the guys that used to be in charge. The people that used to call the shots regarding this franchise thought it wasn't a good fit for the Switch for a variety of reasons (reasons of dubious merit if you ask me, but that's another story), so the ones that took their place simply followed suit.

Would this be the first F Zero project in 20 years??? What about miyamoto's comments about "not finding the appropriate control scheme for the game". I might be misremembering his exact words though.

Do we think they would bother to look at expanding this release with some of the AX content and make it a HD Deluxe release or just a pure GX remaster?

Would this be the first F Zero project in 20 years??? What about miyamoto's comments about "not finding the appropriate control scheme for the game". I might be misremembering his exact words though.
Good news is gamecube controller works with switch 😎

It was about finding an idea to make the game sellable

Do we think they would bother to look at expanding this release with some of the AX content and make it a HD Deluxe release or just a pure GX remaster?

All of the AX content is already in GX, just unlockable. I expect the remaster to have it all unlocked from the start, as the hard mode story mission requirement made it so a lot of people would never see that stuff.

Would this supposed F-Zero GX Remaster look graphically the same, or would it get a Crisis Core/Skyward Sword HD treatment?

Would this supposed F-Zero GX Remaster look graphically the same, or would it get a Crisis Core/Skyward Sword HD treatment?
There's a big gap in the degree of change between Crisis Core and Skyward Sword HD, unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.

There's a big gap in the degree of change between Crisis Core and Skyward Sword HD, unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.
I was asking if the graphics would be overhauled like they were in Crisis Core Reunion, or if they would be just brushed up a bit like they were in Skyward Sword HD.

I was asking if the graphics would be overhauled like they were in Crisis Core Reunion, or if they would be just brushed up a bit like they were in Skyward Sword HD.
In that regard I think we might have a good point of reference if we look at what they're currently doing with Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe:

While it's obviously the same game overall, it's also being visually revamped in many ways. I would expect something similar for all (or at least most) future GameCube and Wii remasters.

So you mean like on a scale of SS to CC, where would we expect it to land?

Nagoshi has two phases, the one till Gamecube gen and the one after that which you only need to look at his face to know something happened between them.

I find the claim that Nate's credibility is questionable to be interesting, especially considering that I haven't seen anyone even post the last time or any other specific incident where he was wrong. No insider is 100% correct on every minute detail, especially timing. It's like you see your mom baking a cake and you tell your friends, "Hey, the cake looks like this and it should be ready and good to go by the time the party starts/ends!!" But even if everything looked to be on track at the moment information was shared with the public, so many things could go wrong before the result one expects.

Maybe it was a different type of cake and it took longer than you were expecting (Metroid Prime 4). Or the power went out right towards the end, causing the power to go out (Advance Wars). Perhaps the cake was an entirely different baked good that was going to be put in the fridge overnight to cool for a neighbor next week (GB/GBC on NSO, discussed by Nate before the emulator leaks). Or hell, the temperature was too high and the cake got burnt to a crisp (project canceled). It could be the cake you thought you were getting wasn't a cake at all, but was really a next-generation cake that you got a way too early peek at (OLED vs Switch 2).

I'm personally having trouble remembering the last time Nate got something 100% wrong. He has gotten multiple Direct dates down to the day ahead of time. And that would really be all I would need to consider him worth paying attention to. I believe he also gave the "red and blue" hint for FE Engage and was talking about Silent Hill revival stuff long before this year. Or how about the time when despite a source like Bloomberg claiming that the 4k Switch was "imminent" and coming this year, Nate said that the 4k product he heard about was nowhere close to ready to release later that year. It's fair to say "I doubt it", but I feel it would be fair to say specifically why.

I don't even think much needs to be done in terms of improving textures, maybe only if polygons are smoothed up?

The game shows even more detail at 1080p in Dolphin via emulator. You can see almost all of the cars have paint flecks chipped off the body, and there's no way anyone noticed that on a 480p CRT (let alone 480i tube TV)

Like sure, futureproof for the 4K output on whatever the next console is, but I'd be surprised if they have to spend too much time upscaling the imagery unless it's being rebuilt from the ground up

I don't even think much needs to be done in terms of improving textures, maybe only if polygons are smoothed up?

The game shows even more detail at 1080p in Dolphin via emulator. You can see almost all of the cars have paint flecks chipped off the body, and there's no way anyone noticed that on a 480p CRT (let alone 480i tube TV)

Like sure, futureproof for the 4K output on whatever the next console is, but I'd be surprised if they have to spend too much time upscaling the imagery unless it's being rebuilt from the ground up

Wow. Going from 480p to 1080p alone is a big game changer in IQ. Even better in 4K.

Yeah they might end up going the SS route with 1080p (and 4k for Drake), but it's not gonna be that much different than an NSO with gamecube games if they do. They don't have to remake the game, but I do want higher polygon models and better textures.

They're very similar games beyond aesthetics. There really isn't a whole lot GX does other than add some (imo) weak modes like the story mode - and they cut out the coolest things X did (random track generator, and the map editor for the 64DD expansion). Both great games, but GX hewed very close to the gameplay of X. Wisely, probably - X is a damn great game.

They're very similar games beyond aesthetics. There really isn't a whole lot GX does other than add some (imo) weak modes like the story mode - and they cut out the coolest things X did (random track generator, and the map editor for the 64DD expansion). Both great games, but GX hewed very close to the gameplay of X. Wisely, probably - X is a damn great game.
Legit, assuming it was based on X plus the 64DD expansion I'd take a remake of X over GX. That with track sharing, online play, modern visuals, and redone music would easily top a remaster of GX. That said I'd imagine it would be a lot more expensive to pull off, GX clearly would need less work to get to modern standards.

Back
Back
Top Bottom