• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News RGG Studio Head: Yakuza/Like a Dragon's "underground feeling" too inappropriate for Switch (??????)

Studio head at Sega, co-publisher’s of next month’s M-Rated Switch exclusive Bayonetta 3 where a woman attacks people with her hair that is also her clothes, says Switch has “family friendly image”

Not quite understanding the Underground feeling.

I think it’s possible the engine they use just can’t quite work on current switch without super heavy compromises.

But if it’s purely content. Well, I just played a Nintendo game this year where a character commits suicide in front of the main characters and the scene goes bright white before fading to black. I think they don’t have to worry about mature themes

Yeah, those exaggerated and consecutive question marks pretty much sum up my feelings.

Wat?
"Yeah you know, we don't want to tarnish nintendo reputation with RGG. It's family image that include loli games with touching mechanics apropiate, may not be the best for it's user base. There needs to be limits and putting a game with an underground feeling and crime is the one for switch"

Studio head at Sega, co-publisher’s of next month’s M-Rated Switch exclusive Bayonetta 3 where a woman attacks people with her hair that is also her clothes, says Switch has “family friendly image”
Don’t forget the part about Nintendo making playing cards preferred by the actual Yakuza 😂

No you see it's that the Switch is too popular, which means...um...

Yeah I'm not sure what the thought process is here

We all know what this reply is covering up: before he left, Nagoshi told Yokoyama he'd pick up a bicycle and wail on him with it if Yakuza ever hit the Switch.

Couldn't have said it better. At the end of day, if a studio doesn't want to publish a game on a particular platform, they have a right to do what they want. They don't need a good reason.

Man, if you don't want to do it, just say so. Don't go "oh, but this is too dark for it" on the system that has GTA and Mortal Kombat among many, many others with zero issues.

I'll be in the minority here, but I find the quote extremely based lmao
Not that I agree with the view, but it's hilarious and bold to say "my game is too underground for the mainstream Nintendo console, would ruin it tbh" lmao, I like the confidence

I just did some counting and I have over 120 M rated games in my digital Switch library. Too underground indeed.

A system with Doom and the entire library of Resident Evil on it.
The real answer is they put 1+2 on Wii U, got burned and still believe to this day this would happen on any Nintendo console, even though it was just the Wii U.

Sorry, but I'm playing the Sega published game Shin Megami Tensei V and Lucifer just showed up to tell me he killed God.

Incidentally, I'm looking forward to the moment they eventually cave (maybe on the next Switch or even the one after), the game(s) sells ridiculously well because of course it will, and then we have to read news reports going "Sega surprised about Yakuza success on Nintendo console".

Like, no fucking shit.

I'll be in the minority here, but I find the quote extremely based lmao
Not that I agree with the view, but it's hilarious and bold to say "my game is too underground for the mainstream Nintendo console, would ruin it tbh" lmao, I like the confidence
think underground here means theyll sell like 500 copies in japan

I love RGG Studios, but considering your franchise underground while publishing on other big mainstream platforms is stretching Majima’s eyepatch to its max

I know that’s not what they meant but I just wanted to post the above lol

I think it's really funny how everyone involved, the person who said it, the journalist who asked the question and the people reading this, knows that this is a bullshit answer and yet we're expected to act like it isn't. Just say you don't want to or that the Switch is too weak or whatever, I promise it won't hurt!

Playstation, Xbox and PC truly has that underground feeling for sure

I get that this is their decision and all, but it's a hella weird one. No one with a straight face can say in 2022 that it's not deasible to sell M-rated games on the system. It's just a bad excuse for not wanting to.

Theres 1394 M-rated games on the switch and several of them are million sellers, clearly there's a market for M-rated games.

Ryu Ga Gotoku is without doubt my favorite ongoing series (unless we do get Shenmue 4). But that’s just wrong.

I feel like this has more to do with some rocky history between the Yakuza game franchise heads and Nintendo Japan in the past.
The games could run on Switch (if most/all of them are on PS4/XBO as well anyways) and even Wii U got their Yakuza 1 & 2 HD games. They just don't want to include Switch in their current games.

Feels like they just don’t want to put in the work to porting it and covered it up with this idiotic reason. The Kiwami engine games could run fine. Dragon Engine would be hard though.

A system with Doom and the entire library of Resident Evil on it.
The real answer is they put 1+2 on Wii U, got burned and still believe to this day this would happen on any Nintendo console, even though it was just the Wii U.
Now I’m sad that Code Veronica X is missing.

I feel like this has more to do with some rocky history between the Yakuza game franchise heads and Nintendo Japan in the past.
The games could run on Switch (if most/all of them are on PS4/XBO as well anyways) and even Wii U got their Yakuza 1 & 2 HD games. They just don't want to include Switch in their current games.
According to (I think) Liam Robertson, the main reason why Yakuza is skipping Switch is still because that Wii U port bombed horribly.

Because, you know, Wii U and Switch are pretty much the same, after all: same level of success, same demographics, same number of successful third party releases... makes sense to me.

I honestly believe the Dragon Engine games would be a bitch to port lol. But I mean I still think it would look better than games like XC2 in portable mode.

Just say "we don't want to put these games out on Switch". No need to make up bullshit excuses about it.

We really want to have that underground kind of feeling, Yakuza just wouldn't be appropriate for something family friendly. Also, please enjoy Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania, where you can play as Kazuma Kiryu from Yakuza!

at this point it's obvious it's the whole leadership across sega with some exceptions here and there. sakura wars, soul hackers 2 and now yakuza are too cool or mature for the switch. atlus probably had to be dragged into porting persona into the switch. SW wound up bombing and SH 2 is probably a bomb but I'm assuming that they think that yakuza will weather its ongoing decline in japan due to the west.

The Switch is Family Friendly in Japan in the sense that every family in Japan has at least one at this point.

Some squids just sold three and a half mil, maybe give it a shot.

There's definitely some kind of bad blood between RGG and Nintendo. I'd love to find more about this backstage drama.

They clearly just don't want to put the games on Switch. Any excuses are just that. It's a shame the excuses make them look insanely dumb in the process, though.

Yeah, this is how it goes. And I don't think the next switch will change anything, they'll just find some new excuses to not release their games on a Nintendo console.

Back
Top Bottom