• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News RGG Studio Head: Yakuza/Like a Dragon's "underground feeling" too inappropriate for Switch (??????)

Why hasn’t any reporter responded to his ridiculous excuse with something like “the company you work for, SEGA, also owns the Bayonetta IP, which is a similarly ‘dark’ series, yet Nintendo themselves has published the entire series on Nintendo Switch with the third installment, Bayonetta 3, releasing this month—what makes the Yakuza series any different?”

Like, it’s such a dumb fucking excuse to which there are plenty of obvious potential counter-responses, but somehow reporters just drop the ball and let that ridiculous excuse stand instead of challenging it. I don’t even care about the Yakuza series but this kind of shit frustrates me to no end.
great way not to get invited for interviews again.
Thing is, someone already called him out on his nonsense when he first said all of this. From the IGN report on the round table this first occurred in:
When a reporter pointed out that mature games such as 2016’s Doom are on the platform as well, Yokoyama acknowledged that the Switch is “changing.”

“I am, too, thinking that the perception of the Switch, is changing, and maybe because of that one day we will put it out on the Switch, but still in Japan the image of the Switch is more something you put next to the register at a supermarket or something. You'll line up all those games. If you want to have the Yakuza game right there with all the others…I don't feel like I want to do that yet,” Yokoyama said.
Then went into his “night people” bullshit. He’s just dead set on making himself out to be a victim of misrepresentation because he’s probably being made fun of online in Japan mercilessly and didn’t understand that his wording has not been the point of contention.

Thing is, someone already called him out on his nonsense when he first said all of this. From the IGN report on the round table this first occurred in:

Then went into his “night people” bullshit. He’s just dead set on making himself out to be a victim of misrepresentation because he’s probably being made fun of online in Japan mercilessly and didn’t understand that his wording has not been the point of contention.
Damn. How delusional can someone be about their business practices.

That’s why they should have used Bayonetta as an example instead, since it’s from the same company he works for. It would be hard to bullshit his way out of that one…

6w8lu8.jpg

I really need to stop visiting this thread; every time I think the stupidity has reached its nadir, something else pops up.

Adding to this:

FbR9PlcXgAATpVa

Expect more of this stuff as Japanese developers start to push the Steam Deck as a Switch replacement.
Also to add on to this the game itself was gonna be the first time that Atlus was releasing an international game day & date with its domestic release.

It all ended up being one of the worst marketing campaigns I have seen in awhile tied with NTWEWY for such dubious claims.

Adding to this:

FbR9PlcXgAATpVa

Expect more of this stuff as Japanese developers start to push the Steam Deck as a Switch replacement.
I don’t think they’re pushing it as a Switch replacement. Try PlayStation 5, because Sony really screwed up in Japan with the stock situation and now it’s more expensive. Meanwhile software on Switch regularly outsells the PS4 and PS5 version (sometimes including the combined amount of the Sony systems). It's companies like Square-Enix who are locked in on PS5 exclusives that are clearly nervous now about how they're going to sell those games in the home market. Steam is that option until Drake or whatever comes along next from Nintendo.

Last edited:
I don’t think they’re pushing it as a Switch replacement. Try PlayStation 5, because Sony really screwed up in Japan with the stock situation and now it’s more expensive. Meanwhile software on Switch regularly outsells the PS4 and PS5 version (sometimes including the combined amount of the Sony systems). It's companies like Square-Enix who are locked in on PS5 exclusives that are clearly nervous now about how they're going to sell those games in the home market. Steam is that option until Drake or whatever comes along next from Nintendo.
It’s a Switch replacement in the sense that they will try to push Steam Deck-optimized PC versions of their tentpole games over developing native Drake (not even Switch) versions.

I don’t think they’re pushing it as a Switch replacement.
And you'd be right.

If anything, they'd be pushing it as another means to get Japanese gamers on PC, and Steamdeck is an excellent example of a gateway into that ecosystem.

The fact that it's another portable that could end up being a great accompaniment to Switch is just a nice bonus.

I mean, is that not the media’s job, to report the facts and not settle for bullshit? I know it’s depressingly common for that not to be the case in modern journalism, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t still be the standard that the media is held to.

Also, plenty of video game journalists ask unwanted questions yet don’t get blacklisted for it—I can think of a number of times IGN has done ridiculous stuff and gotten away with it, for example.
Only reason why this happened in the first place is because everybody became afraid of not getting the next interview when print was dying. Sure you may not get the next one but you’ll get another and you’ll get respect and hopefully other outlets follow suit.

It’s a Switch replacement in the sense that they will try to push Steam Deck-optimized PC versions of their tentpole games over developing native Drake (not even Switch) versions.
I doubt they'll focus too much on SD. especially if they do move to unreal engine, then their games will be way more scalable as long as it's not loaded with inefficiencies like I heard Dragon Engine is

Posting what I said on InstallBase:

The worst part was he gave like three answers to what was a simple yes or no question.

Is it night world/underground vs the day?
Is it kids and families vs...not kids and families?
Is it a hardware issue?
A lack of desire?

And then he doesn't even try to make his argument make sense or politically correct. Is he implying that PS/XB/PC are not family friendly systems? If so, you would think they'd be focused on a certain age range. Well, it couldn't possibly be a franchise aimed at older people, as they don't really play on consoles. Or kids, since he explicitly called Switch a system for kids in Japan. So then it has to be everything in between, correct? That being teens and adults. Which means teens and adults can play everything, while kids and "families" (which includes adults, no?) can't? So many holes in their arguments.

Is he also implying that the vast majority of the Japanese console gaming market is entirely kids and families? It's like Nagoshi and RGG (and many other JP devs) can't avoid making a comment about the Switch's demographics. Did anyone ask you about who you think the system is aimed at? It's not like you randomly bring up Xbox, PS, or PC players unprompted. They really have to go out of their way to say the Switch is a kid's console or that their game might not be a right fit for the audience. They can't just answer the question without going on a borderline rant/tangent.

And it's also strange how they so easily put down an entire playerbase. No filter. Most other devs would say something like, "oh it's not in our plans now, but we're always listening to the fans feedback!". Like how the Persona producer said, “On [a Switch port for Persona 5], we have no concrete answer, but in my point of view, Nintendo Switch is a very charismatic console”. You know, open ended. Maybe even the Bamco approach, where they ask the fans to make their voices heard. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised, considering Nagoshi called all the Puyo players at their own hosted tournament the equivalent of losers/nerds.

At this point it would be smarter for him to decline to comment. It's only getting worse with every answer of his. 😂
At this point he's doomed, everywhere he goes he's gonna get hounded for this by fans and by media.

The ranting about light and dark and day vs night is legit hilarious, apparently Yokoyama really wants to be Batman.

We have gone over this on IB and frankly no one finds the performance of the game skipping Switch convincing. You don’t hype up this game as being the next pillar of your company and after 2019, when Switch proved to everyone with data, only to then put it on PS/Xbox/PC only. Especially for a series that will probably pull most of its sales from JP. While also being somewhat adjacent to SMT & SH1 (which was on a Nintendo system). That is considered for worst decision making in the year. Even then P6 is probably skipping with Re:Fantasy also skipping the system in the near future. With the amount of time it takes for Atlus to make games don’t expect an Etrian Oydessy to pop up anytime soon.
You're taking the third pillar comment out of context. Reading the interview when they mentioned third pillar it was more about the development side where they would incorporate work from others outside their in-house studio in order to increase game development.
Also to add on to this the game itself was gonna be the first time that Atlus was releasing an international game day & date with its domestic release.

It all ended up being one of the worst marketing campaigns I have seen in awhile tied with NTWEWY for such dubious claims.
SMTV was the first time Atlus released an international game day and date with the domestic release. There was also Devil Survivor: Overclocked which released in North America before Japan.
I think you're putting too much stock in something that hasn't happened yet. As it stands the Steam Deck is still a niche device that is unavailable in retail stores with Valve not having the production capability of the leading platform holders. Not to mention that the Deck, while an impressive piece of hardware, is not that convenient of a device compared to the Switch.

Sad they don’t wanna jump on the Switch train… especially considering it’s dominating Japan like crazy. I think a ad with Kiryu playing on a Switch would be cool

You're taking the third pillar comment out of context. Reading the interview when they mentioned third pillar it was more about the development side where they would incorporate work from others outside their in-house studio in order to increase game development.
Right, I guess that’s one way of interpreting their third pillar comment. Considering we discussed this particular interview on IB as well consensus seems to be they were hoping for more then just an increase in development.
SMTV was the first time Atlus released an international game day and date with the domestic release. There was also Devil Survivor: Overclocked which released in North America before Japan.
Your partially right as both those games were not completely released by Atlus internationally. Nintendo & Ghostlight published in Europe for both of those games. SH2 was the first time Atlus/Sega published an Atlus game themselves ww, day & date.

Everything else about the game was a mess though which resulted in failure across the board. No matter how you wanna interpret that quote whether through sales or incorporating development practices; seems like Atlus has to do better on that front.

Back
Top Bottom