• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nate Drake hints about F zero in 2023.

Hermii

Manakete

Insider Nate Drake posted this on the forum resetera

".

F-Zero's time will come in 2023.

As for Metroid Prime 1... Retro completed development of the game in late summer of 2021 (for clarity: development finished then -- it still had to go through QA, any localization, and such). The game has been finished for some time now. Nintendo just opted to wait to announce and bring it to market, for whatever reason."

Edit: this seems to be about a GX remaster that Nate has teased before.

Last edited:
i wonder how many years nintendo will sit on this after it's finished
It's beyond me that people actually believe sitting on games for years is a thing. People get fed that Nintendo sits on more games than they can release in a year, so when a developer interview like the Switch Sports one happens people are shocked how messy the development process was. But that's normal, not sitting on games for years.

Also shout-out to the person seemingly implying that the NSW is hardly more powerful than the GCN, because of relativity to other system out now. That's some leap in logic there.

It's beyond me that people actually believe sitting on games for years is a thing. People get fed that Nintendo sits on more games than they can release in a year, so when a developer interview like the Switch Sports one happens people are shocked how messy the development process was. But that's normal, not sitting on games for years.
yeah, pretty much. seems to me like the concept of sitting on games was invented so insiders can have an excuse when the games they were talking about get released 1, 2, or 3 years after they were originally supposed to come out.

i wonder how many years nintendo will sit on this after it's finished
yeah, pretty much. seems to me like the concept of sitting on games was invented so insiders can have an excuse when the games they were talking about get released 1, 2, or 3 years after they were originally supposed to come out.

Also shout-out to the person seemingly implying that the NSW is hardly more powerful than the GCN, because of relativity to other system out now. That's some leap in logic there.
I mean, "years" is an exagerration, but we know these kinds of things happen, and that games being 'finished' doesn't mean they're going to release imminently, especially so with re-releases. Wii U ports like NMSB U DX and Pikmin 3 DX were finished well ahead of release and Nintendo held them back until they had the right window for them. In Pikmin's case, it got pushed back because Bowser's Fury wasn't ready.

It's not exactly the same, but there are more examples to think about. Advance Reboot Camp is completely finished but has no release date, because Nintendo don't seem to have settled on the right time to release due to the war in Ukraine. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 got brought forward by 2 months, which might seem different to the other examples, but it again shows that Nintendo 'sit' on finished software and move them around the release schedule as it suits them.

Retro Studios finished something in June 2021. We know that from LinkedIn, and whatever it is hasn't released yet. Is that some crazy insider conspiracy? Or could it be the case that settling on a finished release slate for software isn't as simple as "game done, release it", when you're a company like Nintendo, juggling a dozen or more releases a year?

If it's GX Remaster, I hope they find a way to include the AX exclusive content without having to complete Extreme difficulty, since fuck that lol.

In the case of Prime remaster I do believe siting on it makes perfect sense. As I do believe it exists to a large degree to market prime 4, so they can't be released to far apart.

Maybe there is a similar deal with the f zero gx remaster.

Last edited:
I mean, "years" is an exagerration, but we know these kinds of things happen, and that games being 'finished' doesn't mean they're going to release imminently, especially so with re-releases. Wii U ports like NMSB U DX and Pikmin 3 DX were finished well ahead of release and Nintendo held them back until they had the right window for them. In Pikmin's case, it got pushed back because Bowser's Fury wasn't ready.

It's not exactly the same, but there are more examples to think about. Advance Reboot Camp is completely finished but has no release date, because Nintendo don't seem to have settled on the right time to release due to the war in Ukraine. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 got brought forward by 2 months, which might seem different to the other examples, but it again shows that Nintendo 'sit' on finished software and move them around the release schedule as it suits them.

Retro Studios finished something in June 2021. We know that from LinkedIn, and whatever it is hasn't released yet. Is that some crazy insider conspiracy? Or could it be the case that settling on a finished release slate for software isn't as simple as "game done, release it", when you're a company like Nintendo, juggling a dozen or more releases a year?
moving something around a few months, or something getting delayed like advance wars due to the war makes sense, but i'm not sure if i buy nintendo just having a bunch of games that have been finished for 1+ years and are just holding them for the right time.

as for retro finishing the a game in 2021, who knows. maybe when this prime remaster gets announced we'll have a better idea of what exactly happened there.

my first post in this thread i guess was a bit snarky, and didn't have much to do with this specific rumor. what i should have said is that i don't put much stock in this rumor. it may happen, it may not.

moving something around a few months, or something getting delayed like advance wars due to the war makes sense, but i'm not sure if i buy nintendo just having a bunch of games that have been finished for 1+ years and are just holding them for the right time.
Fair enough, and yes, that's what I was trying to say. I don't think Nintendo have a secret vault with a dozen remasters that have been done for years. But there's definite evidence that things get moved around by a few months.
as for retro finishing the a game in 2021, who knows. maybe when this prime remaster gets announced we'll have a better idea of what exactly happened there.
I'd hope so, yes - because the alternative is Retro finished something and Nintendo just went "lol nah". I should have said that in this case, a finished game going 18 months to 2 years without releasing is egregious and presumably not standard practise at Nintendo.
my first post in this thread i guess was a bit snarky, and didn't have much to do with this specific rumor. what i should have said is that i don't put much stock in this rumor. it may happen, it may not.
No worries. I apologise if I was snarky or seemed aggressive in response. With Retro's mystery game/potential Metroid remaster, there's a pretty lengthy breadcrumb trail going back to that LinkedIn stuff in summer 2021. F Zero GX has been hinted at a few times before this, but there's nothing solid indicating a studio has actually worked on it, for example.

There are the rare few times where games have been uploaded to the eShop backend months before release like Superstar Saga DX (in April 2017, released in October 2017) or Yoshi's Crafted World (in December 2018, released in March 2019) that do give a good indication of lead-in times from going gold to launch for Nintendo. There's also the Captain Toad and 3D World ports where NST left build dates in the files; April 2018 (July 2018 launch) and November 2020 (February 2021 launch) respectively. Finally there's games that we know were sat on for an extended period of time (over six months) due to a few factors (namely the executive producer credit); New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and Bowser's Inside Story DX were done before the end of June 2018, both launching around January 2019. Especially easy to believe for the latter considering they were already showing fully localised footage during the reveal in March 2018.

Prime HD appears to be an even more extreme outlier in all regards though, because there is legitimate public proof of the project reaching some level of completion in September 2021.

unknown.png

We've known they've sat on games as far back as the NES and SNES days though. How many games are sitting in the background at any given moment will always be unknown outside of Nintendo, but they very much space out releases and hold games.

gx is literally perfect so i'm fine with a remaster instead of something new, quite frankly

my (unrealistic) expectations for a new game are for rgg to develop again and have it be half gx and half yakuza/like a dragon anyway and i don't think that'd happen any time soon

If people acts according to the continuous and unrelenting internet outcry, this will be the release that, solely by itself, will take the genre straight to the top and make the series into a new top seller.

Otherwise, It will stay as the most played Gamecube game vía Dolphin and Swiss

A GX remaster should have a fun name, rather than just a HD or Definitive Edition label.

I vote for F ZERO GX: BOOST POWER EDITION.

Please refrain from bringing forth unsubstantiated accusations of profiteering as personal attacks against other members. -PixelKnight, Aurc, Irene
Great, more unsubstantiated rumours from Nate the Hate. Or as I call him, Nate the Donate.

Last edited:
So this is the GX re-release Nate has hinted at before, correct? Not that I'm complaining, GX was an astonishing game. Wonder how online play will work.

The reveal trailer should totally end with the 'F-zeroooooooooo' soundbite from the medley from Smash Ultimate:

Great, more instantiated rumours from Nate the Hate. Or as I call him, Nate the Donate.
this was mentioned by syluxhunter (not samushunter, very important distinction) prior to nate so if you want to believe someone other than nate there's your option.

personally sylux has been pretty good.

Please Nintendo for the love of god. Lower the difficulty of story mode. For me it’s so hard it might as well be broken.

I shouldn't expect too much but I hope it's not a simple GameCube upres port with online. At least new graphics like they did with Kirby's return to Dreamland Deluxe, Xenoblade DE, Pokemon BDSP or new content, please

Big ass Nintendo sitting on F-Zero. Metroid Prime. DK. 1-2 Switch horse game. Advance wars. A new 2D Mario. What else?

Last edited:
gx is literally perfect so i'm fine with a remaster instead of something new, quite frankly

my (unrealistic) expectations for a new game are for rgg to develop again and have it be half gx and half yakuza/like a dragon anyway and i don't think that'd happen any time soon
The director and producer both left Sega for NetEase. So it's not even going to be the same staff back on the game

This kind of behaviour is unacceptable and inappropriate. Given this infraction and other infractions in the past, you are being issued a three-week ban - Irene, PixelKnight, Aurc
MOD EDIT: The contents of this post have been placed behind a spoiler tag.

Remember being in bed with my ex and she was a big F-Zero fan. I remember speeding up the rhythm a bit and she shouted out ‘you’ve got boost power!’.

F-Zero GX feat. Captain Falcon from Super Smash Bros.

also, no disrespect to anyone, but i'll believe it when i see it. the ways of reggie are beyond mere humans to predict.

Still waiting on that Prime remaster we were supposed to get in the last direct 😋

Also, while I really like GX it is not a good fit for Switch. No analog shoulders and a general necessity for a controller that is more percise and stronger than joycons means I actually think a rerelease would play fairly poorly.

Last edited:
Nintendo sat on the finished Star Fox 2 for >20 years despite having multiple chances to releases it between the Wii and WiiU virtual console or as a bonus in titles like Star Fox Assault or Star Fox Zero.

I guess that's cool, the 30 people in the fan base will be happy (and then they'll hate it because it makes a couple of changes and they'll say that f-zero should have stayed dead)

Everytime someone brings up an f-zero yakuza like or a star fox furry mass effect a puppy dies. Pls be better

I guess that's cool, the 30 people in the fan base will be happy (and then they'll hate it because it makes a couple of changes and they'll say that f-zero should have stayed dead)

Everytime someone brings up an f-zero yakuza like or a star fox furry mass effect a puppy dies. Pls be better
There are multiple generations of kids who grew up either without an F-Zero on shelves, or were too young to be able to freely buy what they wanted when F-Zero GX was on a shelf. It's why I always say franchises like this or Wave Race either need a remaster or just an iterative sequel. They have a chance to find a larger audience now then when the series were in their prime between how the industry has expanded along with more readily available online multiplayer. Look at Fire Emblem, a franchise that before Awakening could have absolutely gotten the meme "all 30 fans will be happy" snark comment, and is now one of Nintendo's premier franchises.

There are multiple generations of kids who grew up either without an F-Zero on shelves, or were too young to be able to freely buy what they wanted when F-Zero GX was on a shelf. It's why I always say franchises like this or Wave Race either need a remaster or just an iterative sequel. They have a chance to find a larger audience now then when the series were in their prime between how the industry has expanded along with more readily available online multiplayer. Look at Fire Emblem, a franchise that before Awakening could have absolutely gotten the meme "all 30 fans will be happy" snark comment, and is now one of Nintendo's premier franchises.
Btw yeah I completely agree with this, it's probably the best chance the franchise has to break out and I hope it finally finds success even if I'm not a fan.

Also, while I really like GX it is not a good fit for Switch. No analog shoulders and a general necessity for a controller that is more percise and stronger than joycons means I actually think a rerelease would play fairly poorly.
We have the GameCube controller adapter on Switch. If it's a good, thoughtful port GameCube controller support should be there from the start instead of having to be patched in like Sunshine.

is tiresome to read thing o resetera lately,
everything is "Nintendo Switch suuuucks" and it's a "disaster to release anything for it".

F-zero was a huge part of my 2022 with the N64 NSO release, so glad to see it continue. The question is-- will it be F-Zeo GX? Or F-Zero Maximum Velocity?

Back
Top Bottom