• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nate Drake hints about F zero in 2023.

F-Zero X getting a cel-shaded comic book style remaster that matches the original in-game artwork would be dope.

tumblr_o39scw7hAr1s3uawvo1_540.gif

If you squint it kind of looks cel-shaded already :p

N64_F-Zero_X.jpg

They still are, they rebranded to RGG Studio.

Nagoshi and his producer who also worked on GX are at NetEase. don't know how many they took with them

Ah okay. It'd be in good hands via that route then.

Admittedly wasn't a huge fan of GX, was too difficult for my mediocre racing skills. :p I'd love to see it with a lick of HD paint and online play though, gimme an optional easy mode for the story and it'd be a day one pickup. :D

Ah okay. It'd be in good hands via that route then.

Admittedly wasn't a huge fan of GX, was too difficult for my mediocre racing skills. :p I'd love to see it with a lick of HD paint and online play though, gimme an optional easy mode for the story and it'd be a day one pickup. :D
if it's just an HD version of the original game, they don't need Sega. especially don't need folks who aren't there anymore

no matter how credible nate is, this is one of those projects that never feel real. Even if furukara invaded my house and told me about it i wouldn't believe until the announcement lmao.

I hate all wojak memes but after a search the yes chad one doesn’t actually have political origins, the trad girl one does though. Like the art comes from the nordic/mediterranean meme which was just dumb jokes, but the first usages of yes chad was for stuff that wasn’t political at all, like “are you winning son” or brushing away mockery

By that logic the word “based” could also be banned purely due to alt right idiots misusing the word a lot more than anyone else but that would disregard the actual Lil B fans that know the true meaning of the word

Anyway I’ll believe a new F-Zero when it gets announced

based is straight from /pol/, it's arguably worse

but I'm pretty sure weeb comes from /b/
Based is LITERALLY from Lil B the Based God. (Half of his songs are jokes, the other half are serious) His whole schtick online is about being positive. He doesn’t even entertain any alt right stuff, he was the first rapper to publicly support Bernie Sanders and he was the reason I even learned about the guy (not American btw). So yeah based was originally used to describe positive things, it was basically a compliment. The /pol/ usage came several years later when those idiots started using it to support their messed up worldviews but now the whole political spectrum uses it anyways. It’s fucked up that it turned out this way but originally it really was harmless

I know it's off topic and it's nothing against you but I don't understand why we're putting fe engage together with other dlc plans to show that 2023 will be mostly dlc.
The game is getting released in 2023 but I'm seeing people talk about it like it was released in 2022 and we're just getting DLC for next year.
I know it's nothing but I just wanted to point it out because I'm seeing it more and more when people talk about a low risk weaker 2023.
You're missing a few things

1) When a lot of us talk about dlc plans and group Engage into it, it's because we're looking at 2023 as a whole, and Engage's wave 3 and 4 dlc will most certainly come in the second half of 2023 alongside the last waves of the Mario Kart 8 booster course and the big story expansions for Xenoblade 3 and Splatoon 3.

2) I'm not saying the year will be mostly dlc, I'm saying the combination of the games we know about (Engage, TotK, Pikmin 4, Bayonetta spin off), the dlc we know about (Engage, Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3), the remasters/remakes that are rumored (Prime, WW, TP, F-Zero GX), the dlc we heavily suspect is coming (TotK and Pokemon Gen 9) and then a few more surprises (like a new Rhythm Heaven or Style Savvy which were just me throwing out suggestions) would give the Switch a strong 2023 line up.

I know we live in a world of click bait and hyperbole, but there is a difference between "expect remasters/dlc to pad out 2023" and "2023 is going to be mostly dlc/remaster". As I said in the "no more major Switch games thread", there will assuredly be another game or two announced that will be major for people on sites like this and not on sales charts, and possibly a game or two that'll be major on sales charts and not big on forums like this.

I hate all wojak memes but after a search the yes chad one doesn’t actually have political origins, the trad girl one does though. Like the art comes from the nordic/mediterranean meme which was just dumb jokes, but the first usages of yes chad was for stuff that wasn’t political at all, like “are you winning son” or brushing away mockery

By that logic the word “based” could also be banned purely due to alt right idiots misusing the word a lot more than anyone else but that would disregard the actual Lil B fans that know the true meaning of the word

Anyway I’ll believe a new F-Zero when it gets announced
"Yes Chad" is used by 4chan as propaganda celebrating the Aryan male as the superior race.

Of course not everyone knows how many memes are used, or the origin. And I have no doubt the user did not used with any bad intention.

It's also ok for someone respectfuly point out the origins of the meme. Like it was the case of @Phosphorescent Skeleton . She didn't insulted anyone, just pointed out the origin of the meme.

Is far more dissapointing to see a Admin here, a forum that descrives themvelves left leaning, to have a passive agressive ton in a reply to menber because she pointed that out.

Last edited:
Strikes me as somewhat odd that you believe F-Zero only needs a remaster to find a larger audience, and then point towards a series that damn near overhauled its core mechanics across multiple new entries to find mainstream appeal as an example.

I’d welcome an F-Zero GX HD with open arms, but at this point I just can’t imagine a remaster as enough to kickstart any franchise to that degree.

Also, the insider snark is silly. No, you aren’t obligated to believe in what insiders say, but that doesn’t mean that they’re inherently lying, or that anyone who does believe in them is stupid.
For a lot of people who would be hypothetically buying this F-Zero GX remaster, the game would be indistinguishable from a new entry (or a full on remake) since it's been trapped on the GC for 20 years and never been rereleased. Obviously FE:A isn't a perfect comparison, it was more of a general example that the right game at the right time could cause a once dormant/unpopular series to explode to new heights.

It's so surprising that futuristic racers were never that popular. Played GX on my gamecube for hundreds of hours when it first released and it was insanely fun.

I can imagine them doing a remake of GX with online just to get series back in people's hands and see what the reception is.

It's also ok for someone respectfuly point out the origins of the meme. Like it was the case of @Phosphorescent Skeleton . She didn't insulted anyone, just pointed out the origin of the meme.
Your post did a better job than a sardonic one-liner. It shouldn't be taken for granted that everyone knows where these memes come from, considering their ubiquity. Like the dude behind pogchamp being a chud.

Ignoring the first guy who took things too far, this site has such a vicious cycle with insider threads. Every time someone mentions that certain insiders have been wrong numerous times (especially recently), we'll get a "stop ruining the fun of this thread" post or someone replying trying to demean that opinion, then someone going like "I don't know why @JabbatheHut has a bad reputation, let me establish how much I like him so I can farm likes".

Like damn I get it can get tiring mentioning people's credibility, especially when they're one of the more credible insiders in the industry, but like, this isn't even a hypothetical "would you like a F-Zero GX remaster thread" that just passively mentions an insider, it's literally a thread ABOUT the insider's claim. How is it not relevant? Also none of the people who were being critical of insiders said to stop engaging in rumors, in fact, they were doing so by commenting in this thread.

Ignoring the first guy who took things too far, this site has such a vicious cycle with insider threads. Every time someone mentions that certain insiders have been wrong numerous times (especially recently), we'll get a "stop ruining the fun of this thread" post or someone replying trying to demean that opinion, then someone going like "I don't know why @JabbatheHut has a bad reputation, let me establish how much I like him so I can farm likes".

Like damn I get it can get tiring mentioning people's credibility, especially when they're one of the more credible insiders in the industry, but like, this isn't even a hypothetical "would you like a F-Zero GX remaster thread" that just passively mentions an insider, it's literally a thread ABOUT the insider's claim. How is it not relevant? Also none of the people who were being critical of insiders said to stop engaging in rumors, in fact, they were doing so by commenting in this thread.
exactly. like, what are we here? just a fansite for certain insiders to constantly cheer them on and shield them from anything that's not 100% praise? the source has been wrong many times, if you want to believe him go ahead but to call out people who don't believe the rumor and telling them to basically fuck off and not ruin the vibe is pretty shitty.

the insider in question has an account here, he can post himself if he feels a certain way about people not believing the rumor, he doesn't need an army of defenders every time someone says something slightly negative about his rumors or track record.

"Base-head" was a term, in the 80s and 90s, describing drug addicts, and "based" (as an insult) stemmed from that long before Lil B. Lmao
Of course but the context here is Internet usage, Lil B used to be called that and turned it into his slang. That’s how people started to use the term to describe opinions or situations, which was indeed way before 4chan. The term itself as an insult is way outdated, no one uses it to call people stupid or addicts anymore

For a lot of people who would be hypothetically buying this F-Zero GX remaster, the game would be indistinguishable from a new entry (or a full on remake) since it's been trapped on the GC for 20 years and never been rereleased. Obviously FE:A isn't a perfect comparison, it was more of a general example that the right game at the right time could cause a once dormant/unpopular series to explode to new heights.
The thing is, I don't think a remaster of a roughly twenty-year-old game is going to do that.

What about Star Fox Grand Prix 🤔

(Oh I should probably say I’m just joking!! Not trying to have a jab at anyone saying insiders are liars btw
Love u daddy Nate)

The idea of remastering an old game to revive a franchise was always a terrible idea that rarely work . it didn't even work for Metroid .

but somehow I don't think Nate is talking about a remaster here, I don't think Nintendo care about rereleasing games not made in house or by a studio they own when it comes to their franchises no matter how good the game is

...except it did?

The success of Samus Returns literally lead to Metroid Dread being created, if that's what you mean.
To be fair, did we ever get numbers on how much Samus Returns did lifetime? I know that there's interviews that imply (can't remember if they outright say) that Samus Returns was a success in the eyes of Nintendo, but, isn't Dread in large part a result of a highly influential producer finally finding a team to make Dread? It's not really conventionally a case of a remakes sales being so good it revived a franchise.

If anything, Pikmin 3 Deluxe overperforming 2 years before the announcement of Pikmin 4 honestly feels more correlated, and even that is a bit of a stretch because we don't know enough about the development of Pikmin 4

I’ll wait for someone far reputable says something about F-Zero 2023, Nate had far more misses than hits from his own reporting.

...except it did?

The success of Samus Returns literally lead to Metroid Dread being created, if that's what you mean.
Dread had floated around as a title for a tentative Metroid 5 since the early days of the DS. It just never materialized until Nintendo got MercurySteam to handle it and the stink of Other M had properly washed off.

Samus Returns definitely lead to the release of Dread. Yes, the idea of Dread was around since the 2000s but the game had been cancelled for years and only started full development after Samus Returns came out. With the same development studio behind it.

Also, side note, can "insider haters" please stop ruining every single conversation on this website? We get it. You're incredibly smart. I bet you even don't believe in Santa! But engaging with rumors on a forum is just fun to do, and you all are the ultimate fun killers.
This is an incredibly hyperbolic response to doubting the legitimacy of a leaker. Is there a rule that people posting in these threads have to believe them?

I will meme this into existence or die trying

gHr2.gif
F-Zero XXL : Racers of Love
In this new installment of the famous F-Zero franchise, the player can choose to play as Bio Rex or Fox McCloud, join the F-Zero Grand Prix, win prizes and most important of all : find that special someone.

Sexy Season Pass :
Nintendo Switch Online : Expansion Pack members can access the Sexy Season Pass and unlock Rated M scenes !

This is an incredibly hyperbolic response to doubting the legitimacy of a leaker. Is there a rule that people posting in these threads have to believe them?
It's only hyperbolic as a response to the wild toxicity surrounding leakers as of late. Everyone has every right to be skeptical, and I won't deny them the pleasure, just as I prefer to indulge in leaks and want to be little more excited for what's unannounced.

It's been a worrying trend however that certain bad actors have been making blatant character attacks on members of the community for leaks that don't pan out and are taking their messages far too seriously like it's life or death. I am one who believes in a track record, but for someone who doesn't there's no need to accuse them of slander and defrauding people of money because X game didn't get announced by Y date. It appears in my eyes to just as equally be thinly veiled jabs at those who may enjoy partaking in speculation and leaks.

I absolutely encourage and enjoy debate and discussion while words are parsed and we can debate the validity of what sounds reasonable and what is pie in the sky dreaming, but there's a negative poison seeping into this forum that needs to be stamped out with prejudice. I don't want to see this kind of behaviour tolerated where members are allowed to bully others out of here and made not to feel welcome.

It's only hyperbolic as a response to the wild toxicity surrounding leakers as of late. Everyone has every right to be skeptical, and I won't deny them the pleasure, just as I prefer to indulge in leaks and want to be little more excited for what's unannounced.

It's been a worrying trend however that certain bad actors have been making blatant character attacks on members of the community for leaks that don't pan out and are taking their messages far too seriously like it's life or death. I am one who believes in a track record, but for someone who doesn't there's no need to accuse them of slander and defrauding people of money because X game didn't get announced by Y date. It appears in my eyes to just as equally be thinly veiled jabs at those who may enjoy partaking in speculation and leaks.

I absolutely encourage and enjoy debate and discussion while words are parsed and we can debate the validity of what sounds reasonable and what is pie in the sky dreaming, but there's a negative poison seeping into this forum that needs to be stamped out with prejudice. I don't want to see this kind of behaviour tolerated where members are allowed to bully others out of here and made not to feel welcome.
Seconding this, especially after this past week.

I don't generally follow too closely or get invested in insider drama, though I do seem to pick it up a decent amount through osmosis. It's interesting, though, to see the range of reactions. Sometimes interactions seem eerily cultish (though I assume much of that is in good fun), sometimes seems it would be obnoxious for the insiders to deal with, and sometimes seems overly hostile toward them.

We get it. You're incredibly smart. I bet you even don't believe in Santa!
Now that's going too far. Jolly ol' Saint Nick was a real historical person. He even punched a guy at the Council of Nicea! Okay, so that particular story is very likely apocryphal, and it amped up in intensity as time marched on, but it's a humorous thought.

I certainly wouldn't go so far as to suggest people can't voice disbelief in insiders and leaks or whatever, or that people who would do so necessarily need refrain from responding in general, but it is helpful to be cognizant of what's being responded to and the atmosphere being entered into, as well as generally how this is being voiced. And clearly nobody's going to be perfect with such things, but it's good to consider.

Beyond that, I think Brofield just now posted a generally good look into what's going on here:
It's only hyperbolic as a response to the wild toxicity surrounding leakers as of late. Everyone has every right to be skeptical, and I won't deny them the pleasure, just as I prefer to indulge in leaks and want to be little more excited for what's unannounced. [...]

Still waiting on that Prime remaster we were supposed to get in the last direct
See, this one I'm inclined to believe exists, especially given Retro Studios' LinkedIn records and such. It also seems one that Nintendo reasonably could be expected to hold onto for a time in order to follow a preplanned marketing plan with Prime 4. I still would prefer that it get a separate title, following the close of the Prime story, but that's been an obvious losing battle since it was announced.

In any case, I would love for something to come of F-Zero. A new title seems possibly the best option, though existing games are a known quality. A brilliant resurgence would be incredible.

Also, y'all know the reason Wind Waker and Twilight Princess haven't panned out yet is because the remakesters are done and ready but the additional content to entice repeat purchasers is not, right?

I would say it would be too much to suggest that someone not voice concerns -- it could be the initial poster doesn't know something, that a great many people don't know, perhaps that the responder is mistaken and this becomes a learning experience in that way, perhaps even that there's some other element to what's going on -- but it is probably helpful to give some context or explanation to help everybody understand where you're coming from.

Beyond that, I suspect this other element of Bellydrum's post is important to why he's approached things this way (regardless of whether you agree with the outcome):

[...] like you'd rather "win the argument" by feeling superior than actually continuing a conversation that you started. You actually do this a lot.

Spoiled because I really don't want this to be the main focal point of my post:
I wasn't going to touch this subject, but it progressed beyond that with textbook examples of exactly what Bellydrum is talking about.

Damn! You sure owned that transgender woman for pointing out a meme with right wing origins. Us queers are getting too uppity lately
Sorry, I'll learn to shut up and let the men talk and post right wing memes in peace in the future. I know us queers are annoying when we're uppity.

Here's the thing. I think Bellydrum went a bit far with the implication that the concerns shouldn't be vocalized (Now, I'm also not certain that's the takeaway he meant from that, especially since it specifically referred to this sort of continuation, but that's beside the point); however this is the exact shut-down-the-discussion-and-win response he was talking about.

Literally none of this is truly engaging with what he said, and I very much doubt any of it touches even the very deepest roots of why he said it. It's the same old casting aspersions on the other party and taking personal grievance, using things that were never part of or foundational to the conversation as a means to shut everything down.

It's an implicit attack on the character of the person you're responding to, as a means to give oneself the high ground, bring the other person down, and absolutely pwn them by virtue of being untouchable, because the other person is framed as nefarious and everything they say going forward is now unreasonable and an attack on oneself.

This is exactly why he would see the initial response as he did, exactly as he explained his comment.

I know responding to this has likely put me in some sort of crosshairs already because
  • I'm some dude, so I have no place to respond negatively here (as indicated in the quote above).
  • Responding at all likely throws me under the implicit accusations of the above posts.
  • I already know that suggesting something doesn't have any connection to what's been said will get me slammed for "demanding facts and logic." Been there, done that.
  • My own character has already been determined exactly like this in the past, so that's ammunition against anything I say right there.
  • I've already made this post too long.

-- all of which illustrates my point -- ... but this being literally exactly what Bellydrum was talking about made it seem like something to reflect on.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but this is what the exchange looks like, both from this incident and from previous happenings on the site.

Again, this isn't an attack on you. Maybe you don't realize this is what's happening, maybe you think I have something wrong here you can explain to me, maybe, just maybe something will come of engaging with this.

In any case, there could be room somewhere for some discussion on meme and language usage, providing information for people, exploring different understandings, so forth, particularly because it can help in overall communication and understanding and because of this:

etymology is fascinating
It really, truly is. How words can flip to an opposite meaning over time, how they generally shift from one meaning to another, become completely divorced from their origins (which very well might not make even an iota of sense anymore), connections to different parts of culture or linguistic workings long gone -- the list goes on.

Language as a whole is fascinating, really. I love that stuff.

I said it on era, but I don't think F-Zero GX Deluxe is a "f zero is back" moment. Rather a crowd pleaser and a schedule filler. The most important thing it would do is get people talking for the actual revival game. But I think said revival game would be more than "GX with better graphics and online", perhaps controversially so
I would generally agree with this sentiment. Now, I see fans of F-Zero easily buying it immediately, and the expanding gaming audience adding more fuel, which could turn it into such a moment, but I'm not so sure it would be positioned as such or that it should necessarily be expected to be.

I've been refraining from going too far into remake vs new title discourse here, but a new one could be used as an opportunity to figure some new things out, tinker with the overall vibe, etc cetera.

There're been a few posts that have made me want to lean into that a bit, so maybe I'll get back to it briefly.

The bolded is absolutely baseless, though it probably does indicate some people on this forum take leaks too seriously.

Some people harassing leakers means anyone who doubts them is contributing to toxicity? Nonsense. Skeleton's posts were not "bullying," and using that as a springboard to talk about harassment is disingenuous as hell. Doubting leakers isn't bullying either. Leaker aren't a protected class of poster and at the end of the day their reputation is what carries them in terms of people believing them or not.

I get what you're saying, but this seems like stretching it a bit for the sake of neutrality, which I understand and can appreciate, that would make for more positive discussion, but it doesn't really track with reality. Someone making a joke, even if it's tasteless, is not an "accusation" or harassment unless it's directed right to them, which it wasn't, and isn't equivalent in severity to an admin trying to shut down discussion or saying skeptics are ruining discussion on the site. Also, this has been an issue for basically as long as the site has been public, this is nothing new.

The bolded is absolutely baseless, though it probably does indicate some people on this forum take leaks too seriously.

Some people harassing leakers means anyone who doubts them is contributing to toxicity? Nonsense. Skeleton's posts were not "bullying," and using that as a springboard to talk about harassment is disingenuous as hell. Doubting leakers isn't bullying either. Leaker aren't a protected class of poster and at the end of the day their reputation is what carries them in terms of people believing them or not.
Perhaps said bolded content is only what I've encountered lately, however I was not referring to Skeleton's posts. There was another member earlier who prefaced their entire post about sounding like they are attacking a member's character, "and I am." as if they should be provided credit for taking a bold stance of being a bully.

I don't disagree that doubting leakers is harassment, either. Anyone who so chooses to get into the leaking game should know as well as anyone what a cesspool gamers can be in the greater internet sphere, and should have the thick skin to either back up their claims or get out while they can.

I get what you're saying, but this seems like stretching it a bit for the sake of neutrality, which I understand and can appreciate, that would make for more positive discussion, but it doesn't really track with reality. Someone making a joke, even if it's tasteless, is not an "accusation" or harassment unless it's directed right to them, which it wasn't, and isn't equivalent in severity to an admin trying to shut down discussion or saying skeptics are ruining discussion on the site. Also, this has been an issue for basically as long as the site has been public, this is nothing new.
In hindsight I believe my initial post is joining into a discussion I was oblivious to and may have skimmed over. If I'm out of line I'll cede to step back and reassess, but I stand by that there has been some significantly unwarranted negativity against members as of late that blew up with the Zelda OLED leak and that perhaps some more heavy handed moderation is needed, at least in the interim, until cooler heads prevail.

Last edited:
i admit i don't always read the hardware thread but i've been checking it out for the past few days since the new rumor from digital foundry came out and i think i've come across one post that i would classify as harassment. yall really need to look up what that means, and not label everything toxic or harassment.

i think it's probably best to move on from the general topic of insiders and focus on the rumor on hand here in this thread but i do feel we would benefit from having a larger conversation on why this forum has allowed itself to be so invested in (and protective of) one single source.

It's so surprising that futuristic racers were never that popular. Played GX on my gamecube for hundreds of hours when it first released and it was insanely fun.

I can imagine them doing a remake of GX with online just to get series back in people's hands and see what the reception is.
Is it surprising though?
The genre has mostly been defined by cool visuals and a fairly narrow technical focus (mechanically speaking) on speed and accuracy, whereas the racing franchises that seem to have endured and grown in popularity offer either a much less demanding and more inclusive experience (kart racers), or a much wider range of driving activities and modes in one package (Gran Turismo, Forza, Need For Speed etc).

Unless a futuristic racer is developed that changes one or both of those aspects and redefines the genre, it seems reasonable that it'll continue to have more limited appeal, just like every other game that's primarily rooted in the arcade design philosophy of highly specialized experiences featuring limited content and a very steep learning curve.

I wouldn't say it's completely baseless, as I've over the past few days watched several people across multiple threads make snide remarks about "anyone who still believes" certain members after all this, while taking victory laps over how right they've always been and how wrong we always were. I'm one of the people who thinks the leak stuff is just fun and interesting, big grains of salt and all that, but seeing a wave of users coming in periodically insinuating that I'm some sort of sucker for just partaking in this thing I find fun is a bit rough. Skepticism is one thing (and I respect and welcome it), but a lot of the stuff I was seeing people say over this past week was genuinely off-putting.

Hence the sort of.. I guess vibe, of things right now, which is causing some of us to feel a bit defensive.

Back
Top Bottom