• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Monolith Soft Development and Speculation |ST|

With Zelda probably not coming back until 2028 at the earliest, Monolith is the only Nintendo studio with the knowhow to deliver an impressive open world game for the Switch 2.

I think (and hope) they will fill that void with the potential medieval ARPG.
The open world designers are more than likely on xenoblade 4, not the potential new ip

It is possible than their work on that new IP is already finished indeed.
Considering how development runs in cycles, it's probably okay to assume pre-production on the new IP started in... like... 2019 or something ridiculous like that. Failing that, base-game Xenoblade 3 was def finished in 2021 and wasn't revealed until early 2022. All the work on pre-production for Future Redeemed was likely done during the pre-production of Xenoblade 3, so I can assume that around 2-4 years of work has already been done on this new IP. I don't know when for sure we'll see it, but "at some point" is a safe guess probably maybe idk.

Given Production Group 2 isn't far off the size of Production Group 1, and given the two groups could probably temporarily allocate staff to one another depending on need, it wouldn't surprise me that PG2 are leading development on their own title. But I do think it's impossible to know how that is shaping up or when it could possibly release. Perhaps some pre-production was done prior to PG2 formally forming and expanding to work on Tears of the Kingdom, but we don't really know. Given the size of Monolith Soft these days, and given we know the Kyoto support group is far smaller than either of the Tokyo production groups, there does seem to be potential bandwidth for a new IP to come in between Monolith Soft's work on open world Zelda and before the next new game from the Xenoblade team. For that to happen, I wonder if a new game from PG2 would have to be in an advanced state of development now, before their staff need to be allocated back to Zelda.

From what I remember, Monolith PG2 did the bulk of the work for Breath of the Wild's DLC while it was still staffing up to eventually move over to TotK.

Unless PG2 is working on another Zelda game using the TotK engine (eg. Grezzo and Tri Force Heroes), that staff would naturally have moved onto something else. Though the production groups may be like EPD in that non-leads can move between the two as needed.

Short of Nintendo acquiring the rights for the IP, they're not gonna invest their own dev team (Monolith Soft) for a Xenosaga remaster. Tho Bamco doing it themselves with supervision from some MS staff members ain't impossible but then I'd expect it to be barebones.

Xenoblade X remaster for the next gen Nintendo hardware would be nice but probably their most ambitious remaster effort if they put at least as much effort as what they did with XB DE.

If Production Group 2 have been using EPD's engine and tools since Breath of the Wild DLC, and recruited heavily and then had ~110 staff using the new engine (Module System?), would it also make sense for PG2 to use EPD's engine for a Monolith Soft title? There'd be obvious benefits to that, not least that small numbers of EPD staff could also assist if needed.

But obviously, there's also benefits to PG2 staff being trained in using Monolith Soft's own engine, because staff could then be assigned to Xenoblade/PG1 projects as needed.

If Production Group 2 have been using EPD's engine and tools since Breath of the Wild DLC, and recruited heavily and then had ~110 staff using the new engine (Module System?), would it also make sense for PG2 to use EPD's engine for a Monolith Soft title? There'd be obvious benefits to that, not least that small numbers of EPD staff could also assist if needed.

But obviously, there's also benefits to PG2 staff being trained in using Monolith Soft's own engine, because staff could then be assigned to Xenoblade/PG1 projects as needed.
Think it'd make more sense for any MS group to use their own engine as a way to further improve it while EPD does the same in parallel.

mono kyoto posted a bunch of positions. because it's the kyoto studio, there's no telling what it's for, but of course we're all gonna think of Drake games

The front cover's art alone is making me feel the same emotions I had when I beat 3. I really want to frame it.

It's about time! The art is beautiful and I can't wait for all the juicy and divisive lore details we'll get from this.

Will order whenever I can.

Would be absolutely stellar if you guys could give the briefest of context translations when posting 100% Japanese tweets so that one isn't reliant on clicking through to find out this an artbook.

I feel like I'm losing it a little bit, but that art doesn't look like Saito's style to me at all. It looks more like CHOCO's art for some reason. Not just the linework but the faces too.. 🤨

I feel like I'm losing it a little bit, but that art doesn't look like Saito's style to me at all. It looks more like CHOCO's art for some reason. Not just the linework but the faces too.. 🤨
Yeah I feel the same way, actually I thought it was an internal Monolith artist or something

Seeing Saito's style with side profiles is a bit jarring to be honest. Not bad but I'm not used to the characters having defined noses.

Seeing Saito's style with side profiles is a bit jarring to be honest. Not bad but I'm not used to the characters having defined noses.
Ah yeah the noses are probably part of it 😅

But those still don't look like Saito eyes, if that makes sense

Bottom of the pic says " X CHOCO" so it seems like you'd be right?
I think that's the part saying that CHOCO has some stuff featured in the book (iirc he submitted some art and has an interview or something in there), as opposed to crediting him with that particular piece of art. Someone else here translated that block of text already I think, coulda sworn I saw it on Fami somewhere.

😔

And not a single change on their action game recruitment page. I hope they announce the Xenoblade X remaster in the next Nintendo Direct 🤡

Reason completely goes out the window every year in January/February
i cant simply dont understand that, for the past 5 years, the first Nintendo Direct of the year is always in february(rarely in march), do you all reall need to panic , considering we have 5 year pattern of the first Nintendo Direct of the year, always happening in february, i dont need Pyoro, Necrolipe or Nate the Hate, to assure me, the first Nintendo Direct of the year, is in february

Was kinda curious, how does Monolith Soft typically label the Xenoblade games, when they're talking about them and also on hiring pages.

pretends to be surprised
WxwX61L.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom