• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Monolith Soft Development and Speculation |ST|

Guess which of these alternatives are most likely for Monolith Soft first game on the Switch 2:
  • Xenoblade X remake.
  • Xenoblade 4.
  • New JRPG IP.
My gut feeling is a new IP, but I wouldn't be surprised by a new Xenoblade entry. A remake of X could on pure speculation come in 2025 for the 10th anniversary like Xenoblade 1.

We’re getting a new IP. Monolith Soft is not going to be a Xenoblade machine forever.
How about reviving old IPs? Disaster: Day of Crisis remake, Project X Zone 3, and Baten Kaitos 3 would all be awesome to see. The last one too since we just got that Remaster last year. In reality I could see Monolith solely sticking with Xenoblade for the next 15 years and just reinventing the wheel to tell new individual stories like Final Fantasy.

How about reviving old IPs? Disaster: Day of Crisis remake, Project X Zone 3, and Baten Kaitos 3 would all be awesome to see. The last one too since we just got that Remaster last year. In reality I could see Monolith solely sticking with Xenoblade for the next 15 years and just reinventing the wheel to tell new individual stories like Final Fantasy.
I would love Disaster Day of Crisis. It brings something different that Nintendo doesn’t offer. Nintendo remaking all kinds of small IP’s left and right so let’s do Disaster too.

Disaster and PxZ lost their leads and Nintendo wouldn't have them on an IP they don't own. given that, I don't foresee any previous IP coming back as they don't have much else aside from Soma Bringer, so they'd more likely do a new IP before Xenoblade X remastered and/or Xenoblade 4

BK is Honne baby and he did pitch it at some point in the past. But I think he is pass that IP for the foreseeable future. Monoliths next game will have cards in some way or shape.

Disaster and PxZ lost their leads and Nintendo wouldn't have them on an IP they don't own. given that, I don't foresee any previous IP coming back as they don't have much else aside from Soma Bringer, so they'd more likely do a new IP before Xenoblade X remastered and/or Xenoblade 4
That’s such an odd thing to say when remakes are happening left and right without leads. You don’t need any lead or any single person from a past game to remake it.

Something new.
I think they're super talented and can do something fresh and special if free from Xenoblade's design archetypes (some specific shonen stylings, monster design language, break-topple battle system, complex systems-on-systems, Nopons and other character design elements etc).

It feels like the right time for it.

That’s such an odd thing to say when remakes are happening left and right without leads. You don’t need any lead or any single person from a past game to remake it.
hope someone at Monolith or Nintendo is fond enough and high enough position to vouch for those IPs then. I ain't getting my hopes up

Guess which of these alternatives are most likely for Monolith Soft first game on the Switch 2:
  • Xenoblade X remake.
  • Xenoblade 4.
  • New JRPG IP.
Xenoblade X. Monolithsoft knows people want it, and have expressed interest in going back to it, even after acknowledging how big of a project it would be. There's more than a little bit of teasing in Future Redeemed, and the one part of Perfect Works Takahashi's never been able to take a whack at is the post-Lost Jerusalem era where humanity completes the journey back to Earth.

Also the online elements mean it could have a longer tail if released right at the beginning of the generation. So, Xenoblade X DE at the start of the gen, a follow-up single player story a few years later, and close out the Switch 2 with the big finale.

• Xenoblade X remake.
  • Xenoblade 4.
  • New JRPG IP.

Xenoblade X Definitive Edition for the launch year (2025) of Switch 2. With maybe a new smaller IP unrelated to Xeno the following year. Then Xenoblade 4 in 2027. And hopefully Xenosaga/Xenogears somehwere in-between 😥.

I refuse to believe they haven't been working on a Xenoblade X port for at least two years now. An upgraded version of Xenoblade X would be gorgeous to show off on the Switch 2.

This crane is not a simple asset reuse. It is a fully upgraded model. They took a screenshot of this model from some other source and uploaded it as a 2D image into Future Redeemed. As far as I know, an actual 3D model does not exist anywhere in Future Redeemed. So where is this model from?

The Xenoblade X remaster.

eZZIcn1.png

• Xenoblade X remake.
  • Xenoblade 4.
  • New JRPG IP.
Randomly, Xenoblade X2. Then we'll get X Definitive and X3

Let me dream dammit

• Xenoblade X remake.
  • Xenoblade 4.
  • New JRPG IP.
New IP I'm praying, I don't want monolith's first venture on new hardware to be them showing off how good they can make a wii u game look. I'd also rather they just do a remaster/port for switch 1. Another xenoblade would be cool since it'd probably be separated from the first 3 titles.

Does anyone know the original reasoning behind Nintendo wanting to buy Monolith Soft?

Was it solely that they wanted an in house JRPG developer for Nintendo consoles? Because Nintendo consoles previously lost market shares in Japan to Sony in part because Sony had so much better JRPG support than Nintendo in those days.

Does anyone know the original reasoning behind Nintendo wanting to buy Monolith Soft?

Was it solely that they wanted an in house JRPG developer for Nintendo consoles? Because Nintendo consoles previously lost market shares in Japan to Sony in part because Sony had so much better JRPG support than Nintendo in those days.
They didn't.

To make a long story short, Nintendo held a HUGE chunk of Bandai stock at one point, and so when Namco and Bandai merged they didn't have enough Nintendo stock + cash to quite cover the cost of paying Nintendo for all the shares. So they offered Monolithsoft up to make up the difference. The idea wasn't so crazy since Baten Kaitos and Monolithsoft's DS games had been a thing, but Monolithsoft's IPs stayed with Bamco.

(I don't recall quite how much Bandai stock Nintendo had, but I seem to remember talk that this was Bandai's way of heading off being merged with Nintendo instead, down the line.)

Nintendo had an interest in MS ever since the company was formed. They were aware of the talent that was being gathered at the studio and had a meeting with them and Namco shortly after Monolith Soft was founded about developing software for the GameCube leading to the creation of Baten Kaitos. Honne discussed this on his personal blog around the time Shinji Hatano retired from Nintendo, but I can't find the entry.

Q: Please tell us about your future dreams and goals.

Hirohide Sugiura: As I mentioned earlier, as long as Monolith Soft continues to exist, we will not be satisfied with the status quo and will continue to aim for even higher quality. To that end, we are currently focusing our efforts on creating a conducive environment for the birth of the next generation of leaders. We also want to be a company where our customers can have even more fun. For example, we would like to become an attractive company that goes beyond just games and expands the scope of its services. (via Google Translate)

So, sorry for bringing this up again but... What's the current consensus on the Medieval Action Game? It was just an idea in 2017 and didn't start pre-production until like 2021 or so? Was in pre-production for a while but not in full development until much later? Was in development for awhile and is in the final stages aiming for the release window of Switch 2?

Also, do y'all expect another Monolith Soft game for Switch? It can be a remaster and cross gen btw.

So, sorry for bringing this up again but... What's the current consensus on the Medieval Action Game? It was just an idea in 2017 and didn't start pre-production until like 2021 or so? Was in pre-production for a while but not in full development until much later? Was in development for awhile and is in the final stages aiming for the release window of Switch 2?
I don't believe it ever really existed. A bunch of the early art that rumors about it are based on is clearly Zelda-adjacent, and we also know that Monolithsoft pitched a lot of ideas to Nintendo that were shot down, meaning that the rest could be art drawn up for those pitches that never went anywhere.

And I think Monolithsoft's been moved onto Switch 2 development.

Do we believe their is gonna be a Xenoblade 4? I thought that 3 and Future Redeemed wrapped up the series nicely.
They've said that they'll do more Xenoblade games, yes.

They've said that they'll do more Xenoblade games, yes.
HotelDrink is asking about Xenoblade FOUR. Aka a game tying directly into the story of Xenoblades 1, 2, and 3. Not just "another Xenoblade" which there obviously will be as this is now a core part of Nintendo's collection of franchise.

I don't believe it ever really existed. A bunch of the early art that rumors about it are based on is clearly Zelda-adjacent, and we also know that Monolithsoft pitched a lot of ideas to Nintendo that were shot down, meaning that the rest could be art drawn up for those pitches that never went anywhere.
If the action game stuff was Zelda-adjacent then why would they have maintained two separate recruitment efforts for Zelda and the supposed action game for years?

HotelDrink is asking about Xenoblade FOUR. Aka a game tying directly into the story of Xenoblades 1, 2, and 3. Not just "another Xenoblade" which there obviously will be as this is now a core part of Nintendo's collection of franchise.
I'm aware. And between the statements from Monolithsoft's leads about continuing to make Xenoblade games and the teases for X in Future Redeemed, I do believe there will be a Xenoblade 4 in continuity with the other games.

If the action game stuff was Zelda-adjacent then why would they have maintained two separate recruitment efforts for Zelda and the supposed action game for years?
I've said before that I believe Monolithsoft's next game is likely Xenoblade X DE on Switch 2. If it is, that means it'll be about 10 years between the rumors starting of a "medieval action game" and Monolithsoft's next project, and I don't believe that the company is badly run enough to let any project run 10 years with nothing to show for it.

there's one one Zelda art that was on MS's site which was obvious which. any other art's relation to Zelda is conjecture at best or hopium at worst

Also, do y'all expect another Monolith Soft game for Switch? It can be a remaster and Qcross gen btw.
It never existed. MS put up unrelated art before that had nothing to do with their projects.

People just jumped to conclusions

Do we believe their is gonna be a Xenoblade 4? I thought that 3 and Future Redeemed wrapped up the series nicely.
Absolutely.

3 and Future Redeemed left more questions than answers, overall. It didn't really rap anything up lol.

It may not be called "4", but it will follow up with all the things teased and left unexplained.

Each new Xenoblade game has made it clear they want to expand on the connections with its Xenogears/Xenosaga predecessors.

There's a ton left to explore in the Xenoblade universe.

I've worked at a game company that did just that, actually.
But did they do for every single piece of art or just one random one in particular. Thing is though, there are have been other artworks serving as recruitment pages since that 2017 one that have been taken down while this one conspicuously remains. I just think concluding that the fantasy game is a no-go is presumptuous when there's 50/50 chance it isn't.

But did they do for every single piece of art or just one random one in particular. Thing is though, there are have been other artworks serving as recruitment pages since that 2017 one that have been taken down while this one conspicuously remains. I just think concluding that the fantasy game is a no-go is presumptuous when there's 50/50 chance it isn't.
Yes that's correct: they left one specific art piece up and swapped out several others on the page, and the one specific art piece had nothing to do with any game that was in development. As a matter of fact, it was a screw-up from when a contracted artist had completely misunderstood what they'd been asked to do, and the piece didn't correspond with any game that HAD BEEN in development. The founder just liked the piece a lot and so used it in the one place on the website where it wouldn't cause any misunderstandings.

• Xenoblade X remake.
  • Xenoblade 4.
  • New JRPG IP.
Xenoblade Chronicles 4, and Xenoblade Chronicles X or a Xenoblade Chronicles X2, year 0 of Switch sucessor: Xenoblade Chronicles 4, year 4/5 of Switch sucessor(2025): Xenoblade Chronicles X remake or Xenoblade Chronicles X2(2029/2030)

• Xenoblade X remake.
  • Xenoblade 4.
  • New JRPG IP.
Tbh Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition for 2025 as cross gen feels about right, with a new IP shortly after or the other way around.

Xenoblade Chronicles 4 is definitely coming in 2026 or 2027 imo.

I definitely feel a new and larger ip will happen at some point but I think Both the xenoblade universe and the xenoblade X universe (they should really give it a new title and make it its own thing like persona) will both see continuations in the next Gen.

Jokes on all of you. Xenoblade 3 is technically Xenoblade 4 (X is the second game). Xenoblade 5 is the next one. 🤭

we need like a side tab where we note down everyone's position on what's next or not and then just refer to that so we don't have to recycle this topic every 2 months while there's actually no new information that would affect this.

we need like a side tab where we note down everyone's position on what's next or not and then just refer to that so we don't have to recycle this topic every 2 months while there's actually no new information that would affect this.
I mean your posts are just recycled complaints about other people discussing the same topics lol.

Back
Top Bottom