• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Monolith Soft Development and Speculation |ST|

I want Monolith to pull back and make a smaller shorter game.

A cinematic 15-20 hour hallway linear story game would be something different.
Wouldn't be short I would think but a new IP may be the most likely thing team 2 could be working on. Takahashi already said an X port would be difficult, and Xenosaga Definitive probably is wishful thinking on my part. Ultimately it's Nintendo that greenlights Monolith's projects so guess it comes down to what they're in the mood for, lol, Takahashi prob does have quite a bit of collateral though considering team 3 works exclusively on Nintendo IPs.

JRPGs should never be short, we want our JRPGs filled with 100 hours of gameplay
People really seem to love Torna and Future Redeemed, often more than their base games.
I don't agree, but it is obvious to me that their systems can only exist as they do because they are shorter games. There's something to be said for that.

JRPGs should never be short, we want our JRPGs filled with 100 hours of gameplay
no, we want JRPGs that are worth our time. if that means it's 10 hours 100 hours, then so be it. but making long-ass rpgs just because is a great way of making them shit

This is the mindset that created all modern Ubisoft games, so I'd want Monolith Soft to make games the lenght they feel like they need for their ideas rather than making them long just because.

Sure, (NMS comes to mind) but do said planets have as much going on as a Xenoblade game would? And are they handmade or procedural? I don't really know much about game development but those factors seem like it would make things harder

I do think it's probably possible but I doubt it's as simple as "NMS did it, so any game can"
I wasn't even talking about No Man's Sky:

Wouldn't be short I would think but a new IP may be the most likely thing team 2 could be working on. Takahashi already said an X port would be difficult, and Xenosaga Definitive probably is wishful thinking on my part. Ultimately it's Nintendo that greenlights Monolith's projects so guess it comes down to what they're in the mood for, lol, Takahashi prob does have quite a bit of collateral though considering team 3 works exclusively on Nintendo IPs.
we need to stop repeating this "Takahashi said porting Xenoblade X would be difficult". It wouldn't. It just takes more time and maybe needed another spec jump to make it actually worthwhile (and allow them to upgrade some stuff vs just porting it) to be more in line with improvements made to XenobladeDE

I want Monolith to pull back and make a smaller shorter game.

A cinematic 15-20 hour hallway linear story game would be something different.
I mean that's what the DLCs are for

Monolith can and should just continue with their main game + standalone expansion format, it allows us to get both massive 100 hour experiences and short focused 20 hour ones

only way I accept space travel in a monolith soft game is if the battles turn your spaceship into a mech instead of doing the same boring ass back and forth ship combat you find in all of those space exploring games.

only way I accept space travel in a monolith soft game is if the battles turn your spaceship into a mech instead of doing the same boring ass back and forth ship combat you find in all of those space exploring games.
in what world would we even need to say this out loud?

if we're talking about monolithsoft games and space travel, the one default assumption is that you're piloting a flying mech in some form or other.

maxresdefault.jpg

Panzer Dragoon Saga is better than most modern RPGs and is only ~15h long.
I'm currently petitioning for game length discourse to be criminalized under law globally.

My favorite game of all time is an epic rpg of the grandest scale possible and is only a 15~20h game.

in what world would we even need to say this out loud?

if we're talking about monolithsoft games and space travel, the one default assumption is that you're piloting a flying mech in some form or other.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm currently petitioning for game length discourse to be criminalized under law globally.

My favorite game of all time is an epic rpg of the grandest scale possible and is only a 15~20h game.
I just needed to vent about space travel because I find it to be really dull as fuck among all kind of other traversal so the combat better be good to justify it.

I mean that's what the DLCs are for

Monolith can and should just continue with their main game + standalone expansion format, it allows us to get both massive 100 hour experiences and short focused 20 hour ones
Not really. The DLCs are cheaper and you can tell. These DLCs are shorter but actually have even fewer high quality cutscenes. They also reused a lot of areas and similar-ish combat.

What I meant is to make a condensed, higher-quality game instead of stretching it out the way they do. Xenoblade 3 still has some robotic movements. Not every cutscene is of high quality. The solution is to simply make a shorter game where those robotic moments aren’t necessary in the first place.

Last edited:
All I ask of any JRPG is to have a good enough battle system and enemy encounter/dungeon design that it's enjoyable to replay after beating once. That and swappable party members.

I wasn't even talking about No Man's Sky:

we need to stop repeating this "Takahashi said porting Xenoblade X would be difficult". It wouldn't. It just takes more time and maybe needed another spec jump to make it actually worthwhile (and allow them to upgrade some stuff vs just porting it) to be more in line with improvements made to XenobladeDE

He specifically cited money, and this was around the time he or one of the heads said Nintendo had knocked back some proposals. So, not saying it'll never be ported just that it's been implied that's not what team 2 are working on currently.

I hadn't considered this but I love it

Let Takahashi go full Macross

He specifically cited money, and this was around the time he or one of the heads said Nintendo had knocked back some proposals. So, not saying it'll never be ported just that it's been implied that's not what team 2 are working on currently.
That whole statement should just be ignored for any current speculation/wishful thinking/dreams as it's so old as to have no real relevance to anything anymore (XenoDE was announced right after so they were obviously planning for that when he answered that question while focusing on numbered Xenoblade titles with direct connections). What he was saying then has no real bearing on whatever they might be doing now with Xenoblade 3 including its expansion out and the slate entirely clean.

That whole statement should just be ignored for any current speculation/wishful thinking/dreams as it's so old as to have no real relevance to anything anymore (XenoDE was announced right after so they were obviously planning for that when he answered that question while focusing on numbered Xenoblade titles with direct connections). What he was saying then has no real bearing on whatever they might be doing now with Xenoblade 3 including its expansion out and the slate entirely clean.
Nope, they have 3 teams, 3rd only works on Nintendo IPs, 1st turns out the numbered entries and X and 2nd's only output was XCDE which went gold before May 2020 at the latest as Nintendo curate 1st party releases sitting on some titles for up to.a year.

All of this is relevant as whatever team 2's working on hasn't been announced and would've started pre prod in the 1st half of 2020, so if Nintendo did knock X back then whatever they did greenlight would've taken precedent before X could be pitched again.

Could just be a misdirect I guess, seems a little weird they wouldn't port X at that time, new team that was overseen by Takahashi while he was simultaneously working on 3 and that's literally the only thing they could do that follows the same line, else it's 3rd party ports or something original, find out next year hopefully, lol.

All of this is relevant as whatever team 2's working on hasn't been announced and would've started pre prod in the 1st half of 2020, so if Nintendo did knock X back then whatever they did greenlight would've taken precedent before X could be pitched again.
the "too expensive" interview is from 2018, the "only xenoblade pitches" interview is from 2019. if we must cling to those two quotes, they still predate the release of XenoDE in 2020. that's what I'm saying. those two quotes really should not be held on to like they are still.

the "too expensive" interview is from 2018, the "only xenoblade pitches" interview is from 2019. if we must cling to those two quotes, they still predate the release of XenoDE in 2020. that's what I'm saying. those two quotes really should not be held on to like they are still.
Whatever relevant pitch was greenlit in 2019 is what the XCDE team would be working on next/now, they don't wait till a project's finished to make pitches, gotta have something lined up to go perhaps even while another dev cycle's ongoing.

I’m 99.8% confident that Xenoblade X port/remaster/remake/whatever you want to call it will be the next Xeno game.

Okay, maybe not that confident. But it is far more likely than any remastering of the Xenosaga games.

I’m 99.8% confident that Xenoblade X port/remaster/remake/whatever you want to call it will be the next Xeno game.

Okay, maybe not that confident. But it is far more likely than any remastering of the Xenosaga games.
I'm 99.8% confident that I want it to be

Whatever relevant pitch was greenlit in 2019 is what the XCDE team would be working on next/now, they don't wait till a project's finished to make pitches, gotta have something lined up to go perhaps even while another dev cycle's ongoing.
now you're telling me things I've posted myself here :p

why do you even think a follow-up project was greenlit in 2019. they pitched XenoDE after Xenoblade 2 was done, alongside the Xenoblade 3 pitches. we're not living a world where we have factual information (no guesswork or reading between the lines while hanging upside down from the ceiling) that a Xenoblade X port was ever pitched and shot down.

What we know: almost exactly five years ago (October 2018), Takahashi said putting Xenoblade X on Switch would sure cost a lot of money - this was when they had just shipped Torna and started full production on XenobladeDE. The one where Takahashi says "over the years" the only pitch that was accepted was Xenoblade was from early Summer 2019 - note that this has been written into historic record solely via this one wordpress blogger's summarized translation (I'd be so happy if someone knows of an alternate full translation somewhere?). He's not even saying "oh we just pitched a bunch of new IP after Xenoblade 2 blew up and was a massive success and they said "no, just more Xenoblade, thanks!" The word "recently" is there, yes, but what does recently mean and mind you again that this a summarized translation, meaning it's not a good idea to hang onto every word literally.

These interviews are not a silver bullet to shut down hope/speculation of a new Xenoblade X version being in dev right now either since 2020 or since shipping Xenoblade 3/Future Redeemed. They conversely also don't tell us that they are doing anything with Xenoblade X. All they tell us is that Takahashi thinks a Xenoblade X port would require lots of resources and that they've not pitched anything successfully outside of Xenoblades since Soma Bringer/Disaster came out.

Last edited:
people still hanging their hats on "nintendo doesn't want new IP, they just want Xenoblade" as if the rest of the industry (and nintendo themselves) are any different. all it takes is a good pitch

Yeah I like those "high fantasy anime" looking pics from the AI generator. They remind me of the infamous action fantasy/ talent art pic I already vibe with.

I'd love a mostly straight high-ish fantasy game from Monolith, with less sci-fi elements.

Wouldn't mind also see another attempt at full sci-fi/space.

(JRPG game length discussions again...Chrono trigger, that is all).

people still hanging their hats on "nintendo doesn't want new IP, they just want Xenoblade" as if the rest of the industry (and nintendo themselves) are any different. all it takes is a good pitch
all it takes is one interview with one off hand comment for whole narrative to form and endure for years

So.....if we're always taking what Takahashi says in interviews as literal as possible and as the gospel truth....

q0SUYNJ.png

then Xenoblade X is cannon and connected story-wise to all other Xenoblade games. So, it would make sense it would get a Definitive Edition just the like the first one, right? There we go! No more debate about it.

I don't understand why so many people are reluctant to believe X has any chance of coming around again.

I think whatever the next new Xeno game is will be either a hard, near-future sci-fi or a much more "alien" setting, but will of course still connect to all the past games.

I'm under the impression that we'll get a tease of the next Xenoblade title next year with it releasing in 2025

My source: My hopes and deep desires

I'm under the impression that we'll get a tease of the next Xenoblade title next year with it releasing in 2025

I mean, yes? They have nothing announced to be in dev, their entire official slate is clear and their last batch of DLC for their last major game came out over half a year ago. There's simply no way they won't be announcing a new project within the next year.

The only question is which team and if they're filling the void with another remaster-type release of some kind or another full-scale project.

a new project in late 2024 or the first half 2025 seems pretty feasible yeah.
personally hoping for a new IP as it's a good time to try one during the launch new platform but even if not I still expect to see something Monolith Software related next year (especially as a technical showcase).

a new project in late 2024 or the first half 2025 seems pretty feasible yeah.
personally hoping for a new IP as it's a good time to try one during the launch new platform but even if not I still expect to see something Monolith Software related next year (especially as a technical showcase).
I would've expected a new IP before Xenoblade 3 released, but with them saying that Xenoblade will continue and how Nintendo wants to grow the Xenoblade brand, who knows anymore.

Anything they put out will be fantastic regardless.

considering they thought of Xenoblade 3 as they were making XC2, they had every intention of finishing the trilogy. I wouldn't a new IP is ruled out now that the Klaus story is over, even taking into account the ending. they could use a gap to try new concepts

I would've expected a new IP before Xenoblade 3 released, but with them saying that Xenoblade will continue and how Nintendo wants to grow the Xenoblade brand, who knows anymore.

Anything they put out will be fantastic regardless.
well my guess would have been that with XB3 and the FR DLC, it'd be the perfect time to put a slightly longer gap for the fourth game starting a new trilogy. Especially to give time to properly put a narrative framework that'd pan accross multiple games.

Edit : beaten

I don’t think building the brand further is really possible. It’s at the hard ceiling of 2m-3m copies that most weeb games stick at. This is fine, but I doubt there’s room for growth. If they’re fine with those numbers, the IP should continue. If they’re not, they should do a new IP.

Massively changing Xenoblade while keeping the branding would be odd.

I don’t think building the brand further is really possible. It’s at the hard ceiling of 2m-3m copies that most weeb games stick at. This is fine, but I doubt there’s room for growth. If they’re fine with those numbers, the IP should continue. If they’re not, they should do a new IP.

the problems I think are holding back Xenoblade (combat complexity) are the parts easily jettisoned. even Xenoblade fans wouldn't mind ditching them

as I said before, those memes about screen clutter in Xenoblade are a symptom of the problem

the problems I think are holding back Xenoblade (combat complexity) are the parts easily jettisoned. even Xenoblade fans wouldn't mind ditching them

as I said before, those memes about screen clutter in Xenoblade are a symptom of the problem

Yeah, I don’t think you can shake the weird harem shit (and other ultra weeb stuff associated with the brand) from the brand to achieve more mainstream appeal. If you’re making a completely new story and world and completely changing the combat system and dramatically changing the music… Just ditch the brand too?

I don't really see that as an issue tbh, that's why I'd rather they try a new franchise to try a lot of other ideas that wouldn't necessarily fit with Xenoblade rather than drastically change what fans expect out of the franchise.

Not to say they wouldn't change things up but for example something like an action RPG would be better served with something brand new rather than slapping the Xenoblade sticker on it.

Yeah, I don’t think you can shake the weird harem shit (and other ultra weeb stuff associated with the brand) from the brand to achieve more mainstream appeal. If you’re making a completely new story and world and completely changing the combat system and dramatically changing the music… Just ditch the brand too?
well they already did that and worked out well. the one aspect people complain the most about was the lack of deep story (and conclusion). the world and music weren't the problem. people identify the Xenoblade games by their storytelling first

As a Xenoblade fan I'd absolutely mind if they ditched combat complexity

3 was already a bit of a step back in that regard for me

I am open for whatever they actually want to do, but I adore the combat approach, it has an identity and approach I don't get in any other JRPG. I am so thankful for that uniqueness.

well they already did that and worked out well. the one aspect people complain the most about was the lack of deep story (and conclusion). the world and music weren't the problem. people identify the Xenoblade games by their storytelling first
Now that there's a trilogy of three story charged games, obviously people will identify them for that reason mainly.

But I still see them "as those games where your character automatically attacks until you can press a button for a more special one, and the funny thing is that this basic principle may or not be relevant 100 hours later for a variety of reasons".

Back
Top Bottom