• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Monolith Soft Development and Speculation |ST|

Xenoblade 3 won an Award of Excellence at TGS. Takahashi accepted the award on stage.

I know most people are probably asleep, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet.

Great recognition to all the hard world in these 10+ years. Congratulations Takahashi-san, well deserved!

a remake but as a proper third person shooter in a semi-open city

too bad the director left
The third-person shooter in a semi-open city is actually new. The Disaster: Day of Crisis that is currently known to the world is included as kind of an introductory prologue. This has truly been a very long and disastrous day of crisis.

Whoever drew this needs to be the face of Monolith Soft or at least lead the next game art direction.
8p0khjroh9o91.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like Bravely Default
Any artist inspired by Akihiko Yoshida is alright in my books. Though I think an RPG with Yasuyuki Honne doing beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds would go even better with that style.

Urban Fantasy RPG

I guess the problem will be people comparing it to Persona, but Monolith will easily set themselves apart
If they do something urban then it will still need some fantasy elements. Otherwise, MonolithSoft's talent for world design will be severely limited on just doing a modern city.

If they do something urban then it will still need some fantasy elements. Otherwise, MonolithSoft's talent for world design will be severely limited on just doing a modern city.
I don’t agree with this. Not every game has to be a giant open landscape. They’ve made non Xenoblade games.

when you're as good as Monolith, you can design around limitations of a modern city. that's why they're professionals

Monolith Soft next game is really exciting to think about, to think what they will do in their next game with increased tech specs.

Xenoblade X can use a good amount of QOL improvements. Monolith has been very good with their QOL additions in remasters.
Yeah playing through it right now (between chapters 5 and 6) and while I'm having a great time it could definitely use some QoL

Tutorialization is basically nonexistent, it could really use the collectible tracking of DE and 3, and a better map wouldn't be a bad idea (something like the mini-map view scaled up)

For X-2 I'd kinda like it to be a straight space opera of some sort taking place across multiple planets.

when you're as good as Monolith, you can design around limitations of a modern city. that's why they're professionals
I'd like to see what they'd do with a DENSE space on a smaller scale. Don't do a city like it's just grey rectangles that reach into the sky at varying degrees. Do a city like what if it could be anything.

Conventional skyscrapers that are built out of the side of a gigantic mountain horizontally. A city that is built into the ground (not underground but into the ground). A city that goes seamlessly from ocean to clouds (hmm Xenoblade 2 world tree). These are the people that made two continents exist on and inside of two giant titans fighting.

There is so much potential in even the blandest sounding things.

and then xenoblade x-2 and xenosaga remake ( ͡º ͜ʖ͡º)
MonolithSoft would have nothing to do with anything Bandai Namco owns outside of supervision.

For X-2 I'd kinda like it to be a straight space opera of some sort taking place across multiple planets.
I think it would be cool if it took place on a planetary system (planet with multiple moons and maybe a space station) that you could seamlessly traverse in a skell

I think it would be cool if it took place on a planetary system (planet with multiple moons and maybe a space station) that you could seamlessly traverse in a skell
Seamless traversal might be a big ask but it's probably possible, especially with Monolith Soft at the helm.

I don't really feel like it's essential but it'd definitely be a nice touch

Seamless traversal might be a big ask but it's probably possible, especially with Monolith Soft at the helm.

I don't really feel like it's essential but it'd definitely be a nice touch
Numerous games have done this by now. Even on Switch. Seamless travel between planets in a star system is not the holy grail locked away behind the power of a big machine as those platform holders would have you believe.

I'd like to see what they'd do with a DENSE space on a smaller scale. Don't do a city like it's just grey rectangles that reach into the sky at varying degrees. Do a city like what if it could be anything.

Conventional skyscrapers that are built out of the side of a gigantic mountain horizontally. A city that is built into the ground (not underground but into the ground). A city that goes seamlessly from ocean to clouds (hmm Xenoblade 2 world tree). These are the people that made two continents exist on and inside of two giant titans fighting.

There is so much potential in even the blandest sounding things.

MonolithSoft would have nothing to do with anything Bandai Namco owns outside of supervision.
Not so sure myself now, just... don't be surprised if the XCDE team have actually been working on Xenosaga Definite instead of XCX.

Not so sure myself now, just... don't be surprised if the XCDE team have actually been working on Xenosaga Definite instead of XCX.
Why would Nintendo have their first party studio work on a third party IP when they have their own IP sat right there?

Won't be reliant, XC3 didn't require playthroughs of 1 or 2.
They won't, but I see a lot of people thinking that they will. Especially with all those lore videos on YouTube trying to attach Xenosaga and Xenoblade still.

Either way, Monolith ain't touch brands they don't own anymore. Best we'll get is an unlockable Kos Mos again

I hope they do. There is clearly a desire to go back to their previous work. If nintendo can fund bayonetta, then they can do the same with xenosaga. They could give it a ff7r treatment 🤤

Nintendo won’t waste money on their premier first party studio on some niche RPG series owned by another company.
at best MonolithSoft will keep doing those connections themselves with maybe getting permissions from BN (hard to know what kind of deal they had to do with the Future Connected stuff), but otherwise yeah. Nintendo would rather start creating a brand new sci fi RPG emulating those games rather than paying BN for those dead IPs.

Numerous games have done this by now. Even on Switch. Seamless travel between planets in a star system is not the holy grail locked away behind the power of a big machine as those platform holders would have you believe.
Sure, (NMS comes to mind) but do said planets have as much going on as a Xenoblade game would? And are they handmade or procedural? I don't really know much about game development but those factors seem like it would make things harder

I do think it's probably possible but I doubt it's as simple as "NMS did it, so any game can"

Sure, (NMS comes to mind) but do said planets have as much going on as a Xenoblade game would? And are they handmade or procedural? I don't really know much about game development but those factors seem like it would make things harder

I do think it's probably possible but I doubt it's as simple as "NMS did it, so any game can"
procedural or not doesn't matter much here. it's how the assets are loaded in. and I think even NMS has a loading screen that's masked. so Monolithsoft would do the same. go through the atmosphere and dynamic actors get loaded into memory and start their AI cycles, even if not drawn onto screen yet

It's interesting to think how they could populate the idea with content, for sure.

I'd make the main planet tidally locked, with one side being equivalent to the size of Mira's explorable area, handcrafted. The dark side supports no life, so nothing to see there, it can just be a procedurally generated expanse of nothing.
As a consequence, you'd have areas in the game that are perpetually at sunrise/down, while most of it is day all the time. That sounds boring, but maybe you could do interesting things with the moons as they pass overhead. Not just false night in terms of eclipses, but really interesting effects of the sunlight passing through some other atmosphere, if those moons have atmospheres with strange concentrations of gases.

Like obviously it would be a lot of work, but the wow factor would for sure get attention.

Incidentally, it's always been a minor disappointment to me that the numbered games at least don't seem to have a proper moving sun.

Back
Top Bottom