• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox Microsoft Xbox Discussion |ST|

Guessing a sequel is on the way, wonder if they'll make it Xbox exclusive? Would be interested to see if they gave them a shot at something like Conker as well.

One thing I'm super disappointed in is that the price of expansion memory hasn't come down at all.

An extra TB really feels necessary for me at this stage. There's a bunch of games I'd like to have in rotation like Flight Sim and FH4 that simply no longer fit so they get moved to the 1TB SSD "fridge". I would have downloaded the free AC Valhalla trial this weekend but didn't have the space and didn't want to delete anything.

But an extra TB costs $220 and the lowest I've seen it in two years is $200. Do we think this is something that might go down over the next couple of years as supply issues clear up? Storage almost always goes down. Or is the insane level of inflation just going to balance that out?

I genuinely can't imagine how Series S owners manage.

One thing I'm super disappointed in is that the price of expansion memory hasn't come down at all.

An extra TB really feels necessary for me at this stage. There's a bunch of games I'd like to have in rotation like Flight Sim and FH4 that simply no longer fit so they get moved to the 1TB SSD "fridge". I would have downloaded the free AC Valhalla trial this weekend but didn't have the space and didn't want to delete anything.

But an extra TB costs $220 and the lowest I've seen it in two years is $200. Do we think this is something that might go down over the next couple of years as supply issues clear up? Storage almost always goes down. Or is the insane level of inflation just going to balance that out?

I genuinely can't imagine how Series S owners manage.

It didn't bother me that much until I downloaded Modern Warfare 2. Now between that and Forza Horizon by space is ~70% full right off the bat. Throw in a Halo game and suddenly I don't have much left. I do have a 4TB HDD for cold storage and pre Series X/S games, but it isn't a perfect solution.

Yea, those prices are crazy. The lowest I've seen is $185 (I think). I honestly wouldn't spend more than $100 on a 1TB card. I need a price mistake somewhere so I can get one on the cheap.

Direct anticipation has led me to hope for some kind of MS presentation soon as well. Need to know when Starfield drops already.

Also would like to see at least one out of Avowed, Perfect Dark, and MachineGames' Indiana Jones game, though that might be a bit much to ask. Looking forward to Ghostwire: Tokyo, though, which should drop fairly soon.

Direct anticipation has led me to hope for some kind of MS presentation soon as well. Need to know when Starfield drops already.

Also would like to see at least one out of Avowed, Perfect Dark, and MachineGames' Indiana Jones game, though that might be a bit much to ask. Looking forward to Ghostwire: Tokyo, though, which should drop fairly soon.
Same. Really hoping for Forza Motorsport news soon. And info on the 2nd Forza Horizon DLC

Came in to basically say the same thing haha, it feels like it's been too long. Hopefully a showcase of some sort is coming soonish, or a few Game Pass surprises.

Fire Emblem is on the immediate horizon so I'm not frothing at the mouth just yet, but some release dates would be cool.

Starfield in early April would be awesome. I need some distance between that and Zelda.

Yeah, Ghostwire will probably drop as soon as they’re contractually able to release it, at the end of March.

Starfield, Forza, and Redfall are all still set for release before E3. I wouldn’t be surprised if at least one of those games doesn’t make that release window but I think they sort of have to have a presentation to shed some light on their first half of 2023 plans soon.

Guessing a sequel is on the way, wonder if they'll make it Xbox exclusive? Would be interested to see if they gave them a shot at something like Conker as well.

I've started playing it and it's a fun timewaster. I do think the guns could feel better to use (especially the shotgun), but I think the world and level design is fun and colourful, and I don't find the Justin Roiland humour too grating. Happy it's on gamepass because I've been starved of Xbox content for a bit.
Yeah, Ghostwire will probably drop as soon as they’re contractually able to release it, at the end of March.

Starfield, Forza, and Redfall are all still set for release before E3. I wouldn’t be surprised if at least one of those games doesn’t make that release window but I think they sort of have to have a presentation to shed some light on their first half of 2023 plans soon.
Really hoping Redfall turns out good.

Pumped for Redfall, and Ghostwire in March.

I hope this is the year we see a Banjo remake/sequel following in the footsteps of the Crash and Spyro revivals

I hope this is the year we see a Banjo remake/sequel following in the footsteps of the Crash and Spyro revivals
Yes yes yes yes yes.

It’s the 25th anniversary after all. It’s time for Banjo-Kazooie HD Redooie. I am going to will it into existence.

On one hand, so much yes, on the other, please no, because I would have to buy an Xbox this year.

This Xbox show rumor better be really because they're definitely giving off the vibe that they're falling asleep at the wheel right now.
Yeah, I don't even care if Starfield is featured or saved for later, there is so much stuff they could and should talk about, the sooner the better.

This Xbox show rumor better be real because they're definitely giving off the vibe that they're falling asleep at the wheel right now.
I think the acquisition is to blame for all of that.

If Microsoft reveals too much of the stuff they are working on, then it basically will make regulators automatically pass up and block it.

To a certain extent, Microsoft needs to almost prove that they need to acquire Activision in order to stay competitive.

And of course, we sort of know that Microsoft is a mess when it comes to actually shipping games too. So that's why it's taking so long... But talking about future projects, yeah that is probably to seem meek to regulators.

If Microsoft reveals too much of the stuff they are working on, then it basically will make regulators automatically pass up and block it.

To a certain extent, Microsoft needs to almost prove that they need to acquire Activision in order to stay competitive.

And of course, we sort of know that Microsoft is a mess when it comes to actually shipping games too. So that's why it's taking so long... But talking about future projects, yeah that is probably to seem meek to regulators.
I actually think making games is hard, and a pandemic did not help. I also think they focus on huge AAA 4K games, and just making one game takes a minimum of 5 years for their developers.

I actually think making games is hard, and a pandemic did not help. I also think they focus on huge AAA 4K games, and just making one game takes a minimum of 5 years for their developers.
Yup.

They’re also “spinning up” a lot of studios, which takes time. The Initiative is a brand new studio that is working with Crystal Dynamics on Perfect Dark. Roundhouse is a new Bethesda studio and we still have no idea what they’re working on. Playground is becoming a two-team studio, growing significantly to support both Forza Horizon and the new Fable reboot. And a lot of the smaller indie-scale studios Microsoft bought, like Compulsion and inXile and Obsidian, are also growing considerably.

I also think it’s sort of likely that both the Fable reboot and the Perfect Dark reboot were announced earlier than they otherwise would have been, both to aid in hiring for those studios and to build hype for the then-new Xbox consoles that were launching in 2020. I wouldn’t be surprised if both games release no sooner than about four and a half years after announcement (late 2024 for Fable and the first half of 2025 for Perfect Dark), and potentially later.

Avowed was announced at the same time as the Fable reboot, but Microsoft is unlikely to want to release two AAA open world fantasy RPGs right on top of each other, so that’s a factor too.

Yeah, this is pretty obviously false, a lot of Microsoft studios are just in total disarray is the issue.

State of Decay 3 was still in pre-production as of early 2022 (two years after announcement and four years after the release of SoD2)
Fable Reboot is hiring for tons of people and is obviously at least two years away.
The Initiative lost almost all of its top level staff and the Perfect Dark Reboot is years and years away.
343 has killed off Halo Infinite's playerbase with slow content updates
Rare had to reboot Everwild in late 2021 and the game is still years and years away

Yeah, this is pretty obviously false, a lot of Microsoft studios are just in total disarray is the issue.

State of Decay 3 was still in pre-production as of early 2022 (two years after announcement and four years after the release of SoD2)
Fable Reboot is hiring for tons of people and is obviously at least two years away.
The Initiative lost almost all of its top level staff and the Perfect Dark Reboot is years and years away.
343 has killed off Halo Infinite's playerbase with slow content updates
Rare had to reboot Everwild in late 2021 and the game is still years and years away
I really don’t see how Playground still staffing up for the Fable reboot and it being far away is evidence of the studio being “just in total disarray”? Playground is one of Microsoft’s most consistent studios. A claim that they’re in disarray just because an announced game is far off needs to be supported with evidence that the game was originally planned for much sooner and we don’t really have that for Fable. For all we know and have heard, it’s on track.

I think Microsoft painted themselves into a corner with the upcoming Developer_Direct. They announced that Starfield will not be in it and that it will get its own showcase later, which on paper sounds like a good way to keep the focus on Forza and Redfall; however I think this backfired and now the focus isn't on those two games, but on whether or not Starfield will be delayed.

Microsoft already delayed it once and then stated it will be out before the end of June 2023 and now the uncertainty about that date is sucking all of the hype away from Redfall (in my opinion).

If you're Microsoft, what do you do here? If you remain silent in regards to a Starfield delay, it will stay in the back of people's minds while watching the D_D and may harm any hype you are trying to build for Redfall. Personally, I think this week they should come out and announce the delay (because unfortunately I think it will be delayed) and let people get over it so people can focus better on Redfall for what it is when it is blown out.

On the topic of the delay, I am kind of tired of a lot of Xbox fans saying "let it cook" "take your time" "release it when it's ready". I can get behind this sentiment, but time is up. Microsoft did this to themselves in regards to lack of games and uncertainty. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. This game needs to come out within the window they said last E3.

I think Starfield will get delayed and come out around September, maybe early October. No one outside of forum weirdos will really give a shit. If Microsoft can bring to the table this year Redfall, Forza, Starfield, Ghostwire Tokyo, and Hellblade II it'll be a great year IMO. And I think that would do a lot to ease concerns about the future.

Ngl, Hi-Fi Rush looks cool. Colorful, fast-paced action rhythm system, just seems fun to play. Oh, hey, it's out tonight.

I can't believe Forza got delayed again.

Just a catastrophe of a dev cycle.

Remaking the entire codebase IMMEDIATELY before full path tracing is standard and before electric cars become the standard and before machine learning is integrated with all game dev is probably the worst timing I've ever seen for a AAA game in the last few years.

This would be a decent showing if it were a Nintendo or a Sony showcase honestly. There was some pretty good stuff all around, and good content.

However, coming from last year, where there was absolutely nothing....... This show was pretty underwhelming. I am starting to regret having an Xbox Series S.

So it looks like I have to download Hi-Fi Rush when I get home? From the screenshots I've seen it already looks like fun. I see that Redfall's release date was shown. I hope it is good, but it is seriously going to get sucked up by Zelda, which releases 10 days later. I will still check it out though!

did the seriously not give Forza a date??

That's what I'm hearing, no release date :/ I think it is safe to say that game is a H2 release at this point.

I finally got the chance to check out the show, and I’m walking away kinda disappointed. The only segment I didn’t fast-forward through was Forza. Hi-Fi is of course a winner but I was already sold by the trailer and didn’t feel like I needed to be spoiled on any more of the game. But apart from that, Redfall still isn’t for me, and neither is Minecraft or TES Online.

Now I knew that going in of course. Really I just wanted some good gameplay and a date for Forza, neither of which we got. We got lovely shots of replays along with lots of talk about how pretty their game is, but hardly any actual racing gameplay or talk about how the single player and multiplayer modes are going to work. And in the end, we didn’t even get a date. Instead we basically got confirmation that the game has been delayed to H2.

Hi-Fi Rush looks like a real winner. But I’m still walking away from the show disappointed.

I know this is off site drama, but I am extremely disappointed in Xbox Era and I'm done with that community. I love Xbox and have been with them since the beginning, but apparently if you call out Microsoft for not hitting their release targets with forza and starfield, that community votes to spoiler tag and censor your post and hide it.

Such a shame, too. I hope famiboards never turns into that.

I thought the presentation was pretty good. Redfall looks like another banger from Arkane (even if I'm probably not gonna play it on launch considering Zelda comes out like two weeks later). And they shadowdropped a comic-book art style rhythm action game, which is amazing. Minecraft Legends also seems very interesting enough to give a spin.

Road 96 is still on my Game Pass backlog and a prequel was just announced... looks sick! Totally different kind of game.

I know this is off site drama, but I am extremely disappointed in Xbox Era and I'm done with that community. I love Xbox and have been with them since the beginning, but apparently if you call out Microsoft for not hitting their release targets with forza and starfield, that community votes to spoiler tag and censor your post and hide it.

Such a shame, too. I hope famiboards never turns into that.
How dare you even think Famiboards could ever possibly do that! CENSOR HIM!

But really, I tried it over there and found myself just hitting the Xbox threads on ResetEra again.

My Xbox queue consists entirely of story-heavy indies (and Signalis). I usually like those quite a bit, but somehow I'm still burnt out from Pentiment.

I'm finding myself replaying 16-bit favorites and reading novels, thinking maybe the two are better separate.

There's a decent chunk of the Xbox fanbase online that's super insecure and insular. I get it on some level. The Xbox One generation was bad. Really, really bad. Microsoft deserves all the grief they've been getting but I do think there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Seems like Forza slipping into H2 2023.

It's not looking good for Xbox' H1.

If it was coming out H1, they would have dated it this week.

On one hand I'm disappointed. On the other hand, I'm not starving for games to play or anything and I can stand to wait a bit longer for Forza.

If it was coming out H1, they would have dated it this week.

On one hand I'm disappointed. On the other hand, I'm not starving for games to play or anything and I can stand to wait a bit longer for Forza.
Thing is, it most likely means Starfield won't release H1 neither. Knowing Bethesda, that's good for the game, but I fear MS wants the game to release prematurely and will be a mess.

This has been on my list for a while! Technically I have had it on Apple Arcade for a while, but Day 1 Game Pass means I'll be playing it there! nvm I misread

Between first and third party releases and Game Pass drops the next three months are looking stacked on Xbox.

Hi-Fi Rush, Monster Hunter Rise, and Personas 3 & 4 out now on GP with Atomic Heart, Wo Long, and Ghostwire Tokyo coming next. Then Wanted Dead, Like a Dragon Ishin, RE4, Jedi Survivor, Wild Hearts, Sifu, The Pathless, and System Shock all between now and the end of March.

The right trigger on one of my controllers is starting to feel, I donno, sticky? Like sometimes it won’t rebound as quickly. The controller has probably less than fifty hours on it. Any tips for fixing that? Kinda sucks to have a gamepad start to go bad on me so quickly.

Someone is saving MS Reward points for a specific title but you see a good sale on other games and decide get them instead? 😅 I'm saving points for Star Ocean The Divine Force (when it get a discount, of course), but I saw Hotline Miami, Gato Roboto and Demon's Tilt on this recent sale.

It's a joke obviously, the games are "free" and who knows when S-E decide to put Star Ocean on sale (and Nier Automata 😖)

i finally beat HiFi Rush. what a game! and i’m so bad at it! kind of. playing on normal, i didn’t die even once (until the final boss’ final phase at least.. that took me like ten tries, HUGE spike in difficulty). but i consistently got 50-60% Just Timing, and that made me feel like I was playing poorly.

apart from that, it’s just a really fun game with really fun characters. I’m glad I got to play it.

Game Pass is losing its best (IMO) titles this month, albeit oldies: Undertale and Zero Escape: The Nonary Games (999, VLR).

If you're into story-driven games and haven't yet played them, you really should.

On a different note, I had some free time yesterday (having recently finished Prime Remastered and a replay of FE Sacred Stones) and halved my Xbox backlog yesterday by cutting Wo Long, Norco, Eastward, and Chained Echoes after giving each a fair go (30 minutes to an hour each). Wo Long is a competent enough Souls-like, but I don't care for the genre and it doesn't do enough to overcome that hurdle. Norco is Kentucky Route Zero-ish but the writing, art and poor gamepad support all drag it down. Eastward has janky mechanics and is overly verbose without good reason. Chained Echoes has a very amateur level presentation with dialog that feels both tropey and like it was written by a non-native English speaker; it's not even in the same ballpark as [the demo of] Sea of Stars.

My remaining backlog consists of Opus, Signalis, and Omori, along with RE3, all of which I've started.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom