• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox Microsoft Xbox Discussion |ST|

15 days just isn’t enough lead time for games leaving game pass, I wish we got at least a month :/

After collecting dust for a while, I'm back on my Series X and having a blast with Diablo II. I have always been a fan of the original, on PC and PS1 but never had a decent enough computer back in the day to play the sequel. I was going to get it on Switch for bedtime looting but by golly the load times on Series X are phenomenal. Key for a game that has you in a constant grind>loot>town portal loop. It's addictive!

I'm blasting through the single player campaign offline with an Amazon, mainly using a bow.

Next game for Series X will be the Lego Harry Potter Collection as it has been upgraded to take advantage of the horsepower. My Series X will not be the go-to for games that pubs and devs didn't get running well on Switch.

Need another update on Starfield, including its release date pronto. Hurry the fuck up, Todd!

Started playing Halo for the first time via MCC. Played through CE and am currently playing 2. Will take a break from it after that to avoid burnout, but I am enjoying myself so far.

Need another update on Starfield, including its release date pronto. Hurry the fuck up, Todd!

Started playing Halo for the first time via MCC. Played through CE and am currently playing 2. Will take a break from it after that to avoid burnout, but I am enjoying myself so far.
Starfield is on my radar for sure now that I have an XSS. I'd be down for a new trailer!

Gotta say, Forza Horizon 5 has quickly become one of my favorite games in the past year and probably one of my favorite racers ever.
I played about fifteen hours of it last winter over xCloud, which I feel makes a pretty decent case for xCloud. Anyway, it’s a really fun racing game!

Oh my god folks I just realized that Burnout Revenge is playable on XSS. I feel like I was justified buying this console now.

The way that BC is so simple on Xbox, and the fact that most titles are right there on the store, and you can buy them no problem, kinda blows my mind. Compared to the Switch which has no real BC, and the PS5 which has limited BC, the Series S is a revelation. It’s a nostalgia machine is what it is!

Oh my god folks I just realized that Burnout Revenge is playable on XSS. I feel like I was justified buying this console now.

The way that BC is so simple on Xbox, and the fact that most titles are right there on the store, and you can buy them no problem, kinda blows my mind. Compared to the Switch which has no real BC, and the PS5 which has limited BC, the Series S is a revelation. It’s a nostalgia machine is what it is!
So much this. Got Oblivion on sale and am going to replay it for the first time in 10+ years just because I can. Might get Fallout New Vegas too, who knows. No more waiting around for remasters for me.

Completed Halo 2 while recovering from my nasty cold, and I know I said I would take a break from Halo after that to not burn out, which I am still going to do. But man, that cliffhanger.

If I’ve never played Halo and have zero connection to the series other than knowing how huge it was in the early days of Xbox, what would be the best one to jump into for single player?

Nooo, the MS store somehow gave me the German version of Oblivion even though it says English on the store page. I can not change the language in-game either.

Wtf, ich will das nicht.

Edit: So the store page claims English US is supported, while English UK isn’t. So I changed my console language from UK to US, but that didn’t fix it. Tried uninstalling and re-downloading the game, but that did not fix it either. All out of ideas at this point, and this blows.

Last edited:
Scorn tomorrow! Extremely curious about this one after hearing about it for so long. Previews have it pegged as more of a puzzle game than anything else, though it sounds like it might be pretty tough / obscure to progress? I guess we’ll see.

Nooo, the MS store somehow gave me the German version of Oblivion even though it says English on the store page. I can not change the language in-game either.

Wtf, ich will das nicht.

Edit: So the store page claims English US is supported, while English UK isn’t. So I changed my console language from UK to US, but that didn’t fix it. Tried uninstalling and re-downloading the game, but that did not fix it either. All out of ideas at this point, and this blows.
un-yeah

is there anything you can do? ask support maybe?

un-yeah

is there anything you can do? ask support maybe?
I might look into that, but tbh I think it is either a faulty listing, or something that can only be fixed by changing the console region to gain access to the US store, which would open up an entirely different can of worms I don't want to get into.

Feels insane that I'm two years into the three year game pass deal/trick already. First, that time flies so fast, and second, that a whole bunch of games that were the reason I signed up STILL don't even have release dates, lol.

I tried to add up the value of all the games I've either beaten or played for a significant amount of time on it, and it comes to at least $1,200 over the two years. For a $60 per year sub. Incredible.

However my "play later" list is actually getting down to manageable levels now, as I've worked through a lot of the first party backlog I missed out on on XB1. This means the value of the service will start being purely what new games are added at which point the perception changes. My plan is to get through that play later list before the next Switch comes out.

Absolutely love the Series X. Looks good, runs good, whisper quiet, has all the OS features you need. I think the OS is pretty poorly designed but by and large it does its job.

I would say my highlights of my time with the system / with Game Pass, are:

Fallout 76 - Was super surprised how much enjoyment I got out of this as a strictly singleplayer game. They'd obviously fixed it up and added NPCs by the time I got into it, but as someone who just loves exploring an open world map it delivered in spades. I just... really loved the map to bits. The only thing that hurt it being online was the poor shooting feedback. Other than that it was great.

Psychonauts 2 - Don't need to say much here. Charming and funny and everything fans wanted.

Hades - I'm not a huge rougelike guy so if this hadn't been on Game Pass I would have missed this gem. Addictive.

Forza Horizon 4 - Incredibly fun and packed full of content. The map is 5x better than FH5's, and the seasons are gorgeous. FH5 wasn't enough of an evolution on the formula, imo. FH6 needs to do something new.

Gears 5 - Fun shooter worth playing for the insane visuals alone.

Spiritfarer - Fuck this game for bringing me to tears so often. Overlong and dull at times, but essential all the same.

Sniper Elite 5 - Only played it because Eurogamer gave it an essential - thank you EG. Often feels like what MGS 5 should have been, with tight, well designed open levels rather than one huge open world. Also reminds me of a modern day Goldeneye with all the optional objectives around the map. The gameplay is super tight, the visuals are superb... it's so much better than I ever expected.

F1 2021 - Was really surprised how good this is in career mode. Managing your budget, dealing with car damage, researching upgrades and running practice routines was addictive. Granular difficult options meant that you constantly had good, competitive races if you wanted them.

Hitman Trilogy - Like Sniper Elite with much smaller maps, far more interactions, and funny as fuck. Was not prepared for how much of a comedy this game can be. Really struggled to get into it, but once I did I was hooked. Industry-leading level design on display.

Doom Eternal - I only really tolerated the first one despite how good it is (because I've never been a huge Doom fan) but this one, this one was something else. The strategy of constantly having to change weapons and the movement options totally elevated the game into something incredible. Felt more like a first person Warcraft than Doom at times. Final boss sucked though!

Prey - This game needs a whole thread to itself, lol. There's more inventiveness in the first two hours of this game than in some other companies' entire outputs.

Disappointments would include: Dirt 5; Deathloop; Battletoads; Ace Combat 7; Night in the Woods; Outriders

Feels insane that I'm two years into the three year game pass deal/trick already. First, that time flies so fast, and second, that a whole bunch of games that were the reason I signed up STILL don't even have release dates, lol.

I tried to add up the value of all the games I've either beaten or played for a significant amount of time on it, and it comes to at least $1,200 over the two years. For a $60 per year sub. Incredible.

However my "play later" list is actually getting down to manageable levels now, as I've worked through a lot of the first party backlog I missed out on on XB1. This means the value of the service will start being purely what new games are added at which point the perception changes. My plan is to get through that play later list before the next Switch comes out.

Absolutely love the Series X. Looks good, runs good, whisper quiet, has all the OS features you need. I think the OS is pretty poorly designed but by and large it does its job.

I would say my highlights of my time with the system / with Game Pass, are:

Fallout 76 - Was super surprised how much enjoyment I got out of this as a strictly singleplayer game. They'd obviously fixed it up and added NPCs by the time I got into it, but as someone who just loves exploring an open world map it delivered in spades. I just... really loved the map to bits. The only thing that hurt it being online was the poor shooting feedback. Other than that it was great.

Psychonauts 2 - Don't need to say much here. Charming and funny and everything fans wanted.

Hades - I'm not a huge rougelike guy so if this hadn't been on Game Pass I would have missed this gem. Addictive.

Forza Horizon 4 - Incredibly fun and packed full of content. The map is 5x better than FH5's, and the seasons are gorgeous. FH5 wasn't enough of an evolution on the formula, imo. FH6 needs to do something new.

Gears 5 - Fun shooter worth playing for the insane visuals alone.

Spiritfarer - Fuck this game for bringing me to tears so often. Overlong and dull at times, but essential all the same.

Sniper Elite 5 - Only played it because Eurogamer gave it an essential - thank you EG. Often feels like what MGS 5 should have been, with tight, well designed open levels rather than one huge open world. Also reminds me of a modern day Goldeneye with all the optional objectives around the map. The gameplay is super tight, the visuals are superb... it's so much better than I ever expected.

F1 2021 - Was really surprised how good this is in career mode. Managing your budget, dealing with car damage, researching upgrades and running practice routines was addictive. Granular difficult options meant that you constantly had good, competitive races if you wanted them.

Hitman Trilogy - Like Sniper Elite with much smaller maps, far more interactions, and funny as fuck. Was not prepared for how much of a comedy this game can be. Really struggled to get into it, but once I did I was hooked. Industry-leading level design on display.

Doom Eternal - I only really tolerated the first one despite how good it is (because I've never been a huge Doom fan) but this one, this one was something else. The strategy of constantly having to change weapons and the movement options totally elevated the game into something incredible. Felt more like a first person Warcraft than Doom at times. Final boss sucked though!

Prey - This game needs a whole thread to itself, lol. There's more inventiveness in the first two hours of this game than in some other companies' entire outputs.

Disappointments would include: Dirt 5; Deathloop; Battletoads; Ace Combat 7; Night in the Woods; Outriders
I'm quoting this whole post to say that I agree with you about the UI. It kinda sucks.

Also Dirt 5 sucks a whole bunch.

I'm quoting this whole post to say that I agree with you about the UI. It kinda sucks.

Also Dirt 5 sucks a whole bunch.
I was shocked how bad Dirt 5 was given the pedigree of the team making it. I couldn't even understand who it was for or what it was trying to be. Or why the car models were so ugly.

I almost didn't try Dirt 2.0 (because if it's an older game in the same series by the same people, why bother) but what I got was totally different, and exactly what I was hoping Dirt 5 would be. It's really good.

Really poor branding there.

Regarding the UI, it's a bad sign when you've had a console for 18 months and you're STILL thinking, "Okay, how do I get to the settings again? Wait, where are achievements shown?" But the game library section itself is good, which is the thing that matters most to me.

I was shocked how bad Dirt 5 was given the pedigree of the team making it. I couldn't even understand who it was for or what it was trying to be. Or why the car models were so ugly.

I almost didn't try Dirt 2.0 (because if it's an older game in the same series by the same people, why bother) but what I got was totally different, and exactly what I was hoping Dirt 5 would be. It's really good.

Really poor branding there.

Regarding the UI, it's a bad sign when you've had a console for 18 months and you're STILL thinking, "Okay, how do I get to the settings again? Wait, where are achievements shown?" But the game library section itself is good, which is the thing that matters most to me.
The original Dirt team at Codies didn’t do Dirt 5. The game was made by devs formerly known as Evolution Studios, before they became Codemasters Cheshire. Evolution Studios was primarily known for Driveclub and Motorstorm. That explains the big difference between Dirt 5 and the Dirt Rally games.

Wonder how scorn will turn out. Considering taking an overall break from the deck to play that through game pass though I am curious if it will run on the deck with it being series x and s only console wise

Can't believe we're 10 years into the Forza Horizon series. Ten years of great settings, racing, and tunes.

Managed to get Oblivion to work in English by setting my region to US and re-downloading. Still works after resetting my region. Praise be.

Well I'm finally trying Forza horizon 4. I got it for my steam deck. It came out when I was dealing with some stuff that sucked some enjoyment out of games and when things got better, I forgot about it. I have played 5 though

Is there a wishlist feature? There’s no option to add a game to a wishlist on the app which is pretty inconvenient.

Only on the store app via Xbox itself, from what I know. Or via third party solutions for iOS/android.
That’s so annoying. I’m not gonna turn on the Xbox every time I think of a game to add to the wishlist. Even Nintendo has this figured out, like come on.

That’s so annoying. I’m not gonna turn on the Xbox every time I think of a game to add to the wishlist. Even Nintendo has this figured out, like come on.
If it is a decent enough workaround for you, what does work is accessing the store through a browser, or you can work with the XB Deals app.

Big sale on MS store right now. Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Diablo, Assassin's Creed, Star Wars, etc.

Got Jedi: Fallen Order for a tenner, can't wait to replay it in glorious 60 FPS.

I had an original Xbox in my teens, and the Xbox 360 is my #4 top console and top non-Nintendo console of all time, (the amount of awesome games on it is just bonkers) so the Xbox brand would be my 2nd choice after Ninty.

That said, the Xbox One didn't really excite me, and nearly all the games on it that caught my interest ended up getting ported to Switch, so I skipped that generation.

I am considering getting an Xbox Series X in the future, mostly to play Hellblade II, but if the Switch's successor gets as many ports from the new consoles as Switch 1 did from PS4/Xbox One then I don't know if I could justify the investment, especially if I fall behind on my backlog again. For now, I can't even keep up with the amount of games coming out on the Switch alone haha.

Still, if I were to go multiplat again, I'd go for a Series X, for sure.

Ii7o.gif

I strongly dislike how clicky the face buttons are on the series controllers. I’ve got three of them and every single one makes an awful clicking noise when you press a face button. It doesn’t feel great to press them either. Comparing the series controller to the dual sense is night and day, I’d pick the dual sense every time.

The series controller feels good in my hands. But when I’m navigating menus or whatever, every time I press A I think “oh wow that was unpleasant” which is kind of a huge bummer.

My TV is like 15 feet away from my seat. Age of Empires would be impossible to play due to text size. Maybe MS would consider porting them to iPad? It's not like they have their own tablet.

And as for what we're losing...

Xbox Game Pass Titles Leaving December 15:

• Aliens: Fireteam Elite (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Breathedge (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Firewatch (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Lake (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Neoverse (Cloud and Console)
  • Race with Ryan (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (Cloud, Console, and PC)
  • Rory McIlroy PGA Tour (Console) EA Play
  • Transformers: Battlegrounds (Cloud, Console, and PC)

I've got to get some time with Lake (short one!), but that's the only one I had on my play list

Oooh Eastward

I’ve heard good things
same, at only 20H it's a great fit!

Pretty cool, means I can remove some stuff from my wishlist. Didn't expect Lego Star Wars this soon if at all.
Same I'm pretty shocked, just wish it had online multi

And as for what we're losing...

I've got to get some time with Lake (short one!), but that's the only one I had on my play list

same, at only 20H it's a great fit!

Same I'm pretty shocked, just wish it had online multi
oh dang, gonna have to play Firewatch before it goes

Oh no, Outer Wilds is leaving this month! Darn it

EDIT: apparently it previously left and then came back so hm

Back
Top Bottom