• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Pre-Release Discussion Thread

I don't know about rumours but is only logical that MP4 should be ready by now considering it has around 5 years of development and MPR was just released to create hype.

Also, Nintendo doesn't have a big Holiday game yet.

Egh... I think the game can be content complete right now and still take a year or a year and a half to polish, testing, voice acting and etc.

We should've learned by now that when somebody says some game is complete it almost never means it's gone gold.

Super Mario Odyssey was rumored by legit sources to be done but we all know it wasn't. It got its rating by July 2017 only, and we have real reason to believe it took its time for polishing considering the improvements from trailer 1 -> E3 -> final product.

Another example of this would be Breath of the Wild, it was probably more or less content complete by mid 2016, but it still needed time to testing and polishing and ofc voice acting (which was the reason credible sources thought it wouldn't be launch title, which I believe was true when they heard it, as we know the game only gone gold like the month before release).

The few cases we have of games actually going gold and people leaking that information beforehand are the likes of MPR and FE Engage.

While it is true that Nintendo sits on finished games, we have very good examples of games that we have all reason to believe weren't completed until at most a couple of months before release. Those being:
  • Tears of the Kingdom (development announced to be completed late March 2023);
  • Breath of the Wild (announced to have gone gold in February 2017);
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons (delayed out of 2019);
  • Splatoon 3 (coming very late summer and Xenoblade 3 being pushed forward to July).

I don't really believe it, mostly because there are hirings being made to this day for MP4, most likely its in the final stages of development, it can come this holiday, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't gone gold yet, or rather we've had seen it by now.

I couldn't find that other MPR thread-but wanted to point out, MPR is still in the top ten of the US eshop. Pretty wild. Kirby is at 21.

An ad was just put up today on Linkedin for multiple open positions at Retro and says, "Join us as we craft Samus' next bold adventure!"

So we can safely put that "rumor" that the game is complete to bed.

Barring something catastrophic I’d say the game was nearly complete even disregarding the rumor.

They’ve had at least 4.5 years at this point.

Ive never lost faith in retro, even with all of their absence the past 10 years.

But 4.5 years later with an announced game, it’s time. I would be really worried if we don’t start marketing this year.

With the reboot announcement timing, we’re exactly where Bayo 3 and SMTV were (they were both rerevealed 4 years after their 2017 announcement or earlier)

Barring something catastrophic I’d say the game was nearly complete even disregarding the rumor.

Ive never lost faith in retro, even with all of their absence the past 10 years.

But 4.5 years later with an announced game, it’s time. I would be really worried if we don’t start marketing this year.

With the reboot announcement timing, we’re exactly where Bayo 3 and SMTV were (they were both rerevealed 4 years after their 2017 announcement or earlier)
That's assuming metroid prime 4 has or need the same time or budget of Bayo 3 or SMT

Usually, you can tell on LinkedIn if a project is complete. There were a lot of contracts ending when Metroid Prime Remastered was completed in late 2021. People left the company and moved.

I’m not seeing any kind of movement or contracts completed now.

I wouldn't consider a game that is probably coming out next year "nearly complete." This thing comes out Q1 2024 at the earliest, probably even later imo

As for the dev time, well Retro has seemingly not run the tightest ship post-TF and COVID hit Nintendo hard. I think we might see a reveal this summer though.

This doesn't change my stance that we will at least see a trailer for the game this year.

Been thinking about what I'd want most out of Prime 4's map, and I think I want environments to be separated like all the other games but massively improve the exploration of each environment by making them much more open and less corridor to corridor

Been thinking about what I'd want most out of Prime 4's map, and I think I want environments to be separated like all the other games but massively improve the exploration of each environment by making them much more open and less corridor to corridor
That's the evolution I'm expecting to see; discrete areas but more open.

Years ago I predicted we wouldn't see MP4 until at least 2023, but based on this I'd say at least 2024 is a safe bet.
SInce 2020 i understood that mp4 would be shown at the very least 6 months prior to release, but more likely 1 year.

I still think november 2024 has a large chance of happening

I think prime remaster, while looking immaculate, reminded me just how simple mechanically prime 1 is. Most platforms are flat, very specifically defined morph ball surfaces, or you just slide off them. Otherwise, you basically only interact with the world in exceedingly trivial ways, but It was a GameCube game after all.

I hope they can kick the complexity in geometry and ways you actually interact with the world up a lot for prime 4.

And find a way to have breakable objects that you can work out how to open without having to scan them to work out which of your numerous block breaking attacks you're supposed to use because of it being pretty arbitrary.

Metroid should move passed room based progression imo, dread should have done it first

Metroid should move passed room based progression imo, dread should have done it first
2D metroid is more about on using what was already working before, but MP4 i think will be much more innovative. I hope so, too.

For those that believed the rumor about MP4 being complete, this post is definitive proof that it is not. The art director posted today that they are still looking for talent to build MP4. https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jhon...for-talent-activity-7059758091432509440-HsHc/

I for one am shocked.
Doesnt surprises me at all, despite what a few members at Famiboards might think this is a huge game for Nintendo, despite all the hirings they still need more ofc, but who knows it might be for another metroid prime 4 game that is being made at retro studios who knows? We cant assume.

Do love Jhony's shit tho, love how he uses light and i am very excited to see his craft in the game.

For those that believed the rumor about MP4 being complete, this post is definitive proof that it is not. The art director posted today that they are still looking for talent to build MP4. https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jhon...for-talent-activity-7059758091432509440-HsHc/

I for one am shocked.
walter-white-nonono.gif

Aurc, my man, it will be ok, we just have to trust the process!
Not to worry: it's but a momentary expression of frustration, my friend. The process is testing us right now. I know that. I'm somewhat disappointed, but I'm just venting the powerful energy that the process has imbued me with. I won't truly allow my conviction to waver.

(The five stages of grief got nothing on the three stages of malding Walter White gifs, btw)

Not to worry: it's but a momentary expression of frustration, my friend. The process is testing us right now. I know that. I'm somewhat disappointed, but I'm just venting the powerful energy that the process has imbued me with. I won't truly allow my conviction to waver.

(The five stages of grief got nothing on the three stages of malding Walter White gifs, btw)

It's still coming this year. It should go gold around late September or so before it's Late October/Early November release. Totally guaranteed. Definitely not tales from my ass.

The four+ years of development sure feel a lot longer because of the announcement in 2018.

2D metroid is more about on using what was already working before, but MP4 i think will be much more innovative. I hope so, too.

Doesnt surprises me at all, despite what a few members at Famiboards might think this is a huge game for Nintendo, despite all the hirings they still need more ofc, but who knows it might be for another metroid prime 4 game that is being made at retro studios who knows? We cant assume.

Do love Jhony's shit tho, love how he uses light and i am very excited to see his craft in the game.

o_O

It's still coming this year. It should go gold around late September or so before it's Late October/Early November release. Totally guaranteed. Definitely not tales from my ass.
Tales From My Ass would be an interesting direction for the franchise. I'd be glad to see them finally quit with stuff like Zestiria and Berseria, and opt for something easier to remember.

(We have no concrete info on MP4 besides "It's still coming, don't worry!", so we may as well just dump the occasional shitpost in this thread instead)

If we can get even just a trailer for the game this year, I'll count that as a win. I didn't expect a release this year anyway. I would've bet on 2024.

Tales From My Ass would be an interesting direction for the franchise. I'd be glad to see them finally quit with stuff like Zestiria and Berseria, and opt for something easier to remember.

(We have no concrete info on MP4 besides "It's still coming, don't worry!", so we may as well just dump the occasional shitpost in this thread instead)

If we can get even just a trailer for the game this year, I'll count that as a win. I didn't expect a release this year anyway. I would've bet on 2024.

If we don't get a trailer this year I will infuse myself with Metroid DNA.

Back
Top Bottom