• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Pre-Release Discussion Thread

They still have a lot of people on contracts at Retro. A good amount which started in 2022. Nothing to indicate the game is finished to this point.

Metroid Prime 4 development evolved and became 1-2 switch. Don't expect to see Samus again. Long live the horses.

There’s nothing that speaks to the game being completed unlike Metroid Prime Remastered. Retro is by far the biggest they’ve ever been and so many are from contracts.
And, lets not forget, hiring more than ever. They already hired like 20 to 23 people i think (this year). I dont see MP4 being completed this year like some people hope.

And honestly, i think 2024 might be a quieter year, would be better.

There’s nothing that speaks to the game being completed unlike Metroid Prime Remastered. Retro is by far the biggest they’ve ever been and so many are from contracts.
Not every game has the nature of Metroid Prime Remastered or Fire Emblem Engage where we know when the games were content complete, gone gold and Nintendo actually sits on them for months.

A few examples:
  • Tears of the Kingdom literally releasing the next minute after it was finished. The patch that happened for previews/added to the cart kinda proves that, and they announced the game as gone gold barely a month before releasing;
  • Breath of the Wild going gold February and releasing in March of 2017;
  • Super Mario Odyssey, which while many still bring up like it was done in January 2017, was actually still being polished, got resolution bumps even, and only got rated by late July 2017;
  • Splatoon 3 clearly switching months with Xenoblade 3.

Metroid Prime 4 is definitely not finished now and is under development. But polishing/QA testing is still development. It can go gold in September and release in November or go gold February 2024 and release in March 2024. At the same time, we could've gotten rumblings about it being content complete this year and it not shipping until late 2024(TotK got more than a year of polishing, Odyssey got almost that too if I had to guess).

What makes we hopeful for a holiday 2023 release or an early 2024 release is more of MPR being shadowdropped on a month that already had a game instead of getting some months of marketing and releasing in the summer, or being holiday 2023 even with MP4 being holiday 2024. That, and the game being 5-5.5 years into development by that timeframe.

I do think it's a 2024 game. Just hoping we at least see it in the next Direct. Any kind of trailer would go a long way.

I do think it's a 2024 game. Just hoping we at least see it in the next Direct. Any kind of trailer would go a long way.
As long as its pre-May and I can use my voucher on it (they say also knowing they'll get the limited edition but dammit they want to play it at midnight)

I'm still not ruling out holiday 2023. Could be wishful thinking on my part but I feel it's very possible.

I'm guessing Prime 4 in H1 2024 as the last big flagship Switch title before going all in on Switch 2 later that year. I don't see Nintendo releasing two Prime games in the same year.

yes, but there's nothing that speaks of any proposed future completion date. contract positions is a useless metric here

Considering Metroid Prime had a dash ever since the beginning, I would love it if the Speed Booster was redesigned for Prime in mind, where it works like Doom Eternal's dashes. Not only does it have traversal potential for general movement, but it could be like Dread or Wario Land where you just ram into enemies for damage and maybe even cause a stun or whatever.

The landscape has changed massively since 2007. There’s a bunch of ways they can modernize Metroid Prime's game feel without losing the core. It's pretty crazy how Prime 1 to 3 basically control and feel the same on a base level though, they just nailed it on their first try no problem.

Considering Metroid Prime had a dash ever since the beginning, I would love it if the Speed Booster was redesigned for Prime in mind, where it works like Doom Eternal's dashes. Not only does it have traversal potential for general movement, but it could be like Dread or Wario Land where you just ram into enemies for damage and maybe even cause a stun or whatever.

The landscape has changed massively since 2007. There’s a bunch of ways they can modernize Metroid Prime's game feel without losing the core. It's pretty crazy how Prime 1 to 3 basically control and feel the same on a base level though, they just nailed it on their first try no problem.
agreed. They could and should reunite the best of modern fps design to make mp4.

Prime 1 and 3 feel VERY different in their OG versions (to me). The Wiimote pointer changed everything for Corruption, and made combat infinitely more enjoyable. Not only from a mechanical perspective, but how they designed enemies, puzzles, and exploration around being able to point, shoot, and look around everywhere. I agree a lot has changed though, and there is much they can do to make the game feel more modern.

Prime 1 and 3 feel VERY different in their OG versions (to me). The Wiimote pointer changed everything for Corruption, and made combat infinitely more enjoyable. Not only from a mechanical perspective, but how they designed enemies, puzzles, and exploration around being able to point, shoot, and look around everywhere. I agree a lot has changed though, and there is much they can do to make the game feel more modern.
"Dual analog" is one thing, the general jump and movement physics are another and that's basically unchanged between games. Plus, Prime 1 and 2 got free aim stuff on the Wii already.

"Dual analog" is one thing, the general jump and movement physics are another and that's basically unchanged between games. Plus, Prime 1 and 2 got free aim stuff on the Wii already.

They did after the fact. But those games weren't designed around those controls, so it was just more of a novelty than anything. But yeah, movement physics weren't changed that much I'll agree.

unknown.png

I wonder if it’s going to be after the Metroid Prime Federation Force or it’s going to be something new that just discards it

I have a feeling everybody, including Nintendo, will collectively ignore Federation Force happend going forwards xD

Last edited:
I have a feeling everybody, including Nintendo, will collectively ignore Federation Force happend going forwards xD
Technically ff will probably have something to do with mp4 ona basic level but what people forget is

The game is so low budget and basic that anything ff has done will have to be redone in mp4 in a different, expanded way because of that lol.

😲
before someone tells me, i dont think these are from mp4 lmao. But i have said since some time ago, not here, on the MCD (metroid community discord) that looking at the specific people that retro has been hiring, mp4 will lean more on the realistic side.

Dang they already finished the DLC creature designs in July! December can’t come soon enough

🥲

before someone tells me, i dont think these are from mp4 lmao. But i have said since some time ago, not here, on the MCD (metroid community discord) that looking at the specific people that retro has been hiring, mp4 will lean more on the realistic side.
What lol. This is about his contract ending. This is what WEVE BEEN WAITING FOR! The game is coming to an end next month or so. The game can release by March 2024!

#TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheProcess

Not to be a downer but wouldn’t a concept artist’s work be done well before a game’s release. Seems like something that would happen at the beginning of development

Not to be a downer but wouldn’t a concept artist’s work be done well before a game’s release. Seems like something that would happen at the beginning of development
I don’t think we know how this works exactly. They’ve been hiring concept artists for contract unless you think he’s done concept art for Retro’s next game.

but there's no way we don't see this in September now, right?
I don't see how you can say that with certainty. It will be shown whenever they decide. We don't even know if development is close. Yes it's been long but there's always the possibility of misteps and delays. We only know it's Retro doing it and the last mention was in E3 we got Dread?

I hear all of you, but it would still be surprising to shadowdrop Prime Remastered so early in the year without revealing the new installment at some point this year

Back
Top Bottom