• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Pre-Release Discussion Thread

I'm starting to think September's Direct will have the first Prime 4 reveal and will be coupled with a 2 and 3 remastered shadow drop, kind of like what happened with Pikmin 1 and 2 last week.

I suspect the Prime 2 and 3 remasters won't be nearly as much of a visual upgrade as Prime 1 but will still look decent enough to not cause (much) controversy.

I hear all of you, but it would still be surprising to shadowdrop Prime Remastered so early in the year without revealing the new installment at some point this year
but's already announced, for all we know the game got delayed eternally so that's why they shadow-dropped Prime remastered to help with the wait just like skyward sword had or twilight princess HD

Last edited:
Quoted by: Joe
but's already announced, for all we know the game got delayed eternally so that's why they shadow-dropped Prime remastered to help with the wait just like sword sword had or twilight princess HD
I know you probably meant "internally" but it really does feel like it's been delayed eternally.

I'm starting to think September's Direct will have the first Prime 4 reveal and will be coupled with a 2 and 3 remastered shadow drop, kind of like what happened with Pikmin 1 and 2 last week.

I suspect the Prime 2 and 3 remasters won't be nearly as much of a visual upgrade as Prime 1 but will still look decent enough to not cause (much) controversy.
The rumor was 2 and 3 won’t be as enhanced as 1, so I think people will be fine. We’ll just be happy to get them

Yeah, especially if the game comes out in March/Q1. Pikmin 1 + 2 shadowdropped only a month before Pikmin 4, but those are bite-sized experiences. Prime 2 and 3 aren't super long, but they're very dense and challenging (particularly 2), and even if the hype cycle for Prime 4 isn't super long, it's going to be meaningful and have more buildup to it as a core game. In other words, if MP4 releases in March, I don't see Nintendo shadowdropping Prime 2 and 3 only a month before like they did with Pikmin.

But I'm almost guaranteed to be wrong. I suck at predicting Nintendo's actual Direct announcements!

I don't think we can assume anything based off Linkedin posts like that. Someone's contract work ending doesn't really signify where they're at in development. Also, you can't really assume anything about the game based on who they're hiring. People already got burned by doing that on Tropical Freeze. The only thing we know is that Retro continues to work on the game.

And in the meantime, I will continue to trust the process.

I don't think we can assume anything based off Linkedin posts like that. Someone's contract work ending doesn't really signify where they're at in development. Also, you can't really assume anything about the game based on who they're hiring. People already got burned by doing that on Tropical Freeze. The only thing we know is that Retro continues to work on the game.

And in the meantime, I will continue to trust the process.
If multiple contracts are ending around the same time we can definitely make big assumptions from that. Same thing happened with Metroid Prime Remastered.

We have to wait and see if anyone else’s contracts are ending in July or August on LinkedIn

If multiple contracts are ending around the same time we can definitely make big assumptions from that. Same thing happened with Metroid Prime Remastered.

We have to wait and see if anyone else’s contracts are ending in July or August on LinkedIn

I mean, we can guess that maybe they've hit another development milestone, but we definitely can't assume the game is done. We don't know what Retro's development pipeline looks like.

The rumor was 2 and 3 won’t be as enhanced as 1, so I think people will be fine. We’ll just be happy to get them
Now that I think about it, didn't the rumor imply that they would use the Prime 1 Remastered assets but would be made by studios other than Retro? Or was it that they'd just be upscaled ports like Pikmin 1 + 2? I honestly can't remember.

Now that I think about it, didn't the rumor imply that they would use the Prime 1 Remastered assets but would be made by studios other than Retro? Or was it that they'd just be upscaled ports like Pikmin 1 + 2? I honestly can't remember.
I vaguely remember that but it may just be wishful thinking

I’m not sure tbh

if I remember correctly, the idea was to give MP2 and 3 to a different studio and use MP1 as a blueprint on what to do
Maybe the whole barebones thing came from folks assuming a different studio would shit the bed

Please give us Echoes and Corruption at a quality level comparable to that of MPR, I beg of you! I'll gladly wait even longer for MP4, if it means 2 and 3 get done up right beforehand.

if I remember correctly, the idea was to give MP2 and 3 to a different studio and use MP1 as a blueprint on what to do
That was the rumor, correct. I'd hope MP2 and 3 remasters take less development time since the engine porting work has already been done. The main constraints should just be asset creation. #TrustTheProcess

I just hope they make the controls for Corruption come out ok. The motion controls in Prime R aren't gonna cut it.
I used full gyro throughout MPR, but yeah, having to move the Pro Controller from side-to-side definitely resulted in a great deal of awkwardness. Same with having to constantly recenter the pointer. In terms of controls, I think the Wii Remote + Nunchuk combo will always be the best way to experience these games.

Retro Studios isn’t working Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3 btw. A prominent worker there hasn’t listed it. They list everything they work on at Retro Studios including games that didn’t release. They had “a secret project” on their LinkedIn for YEARS. They just updated it to be Metroid Prime Remastered.

Some other company is doing Prime 2 and 3.

Retro Studios isn’t working Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3 btw. A prominent worker there hasn’t listed it. They list everything they work on at Retro Studios including games that didn’t release. They had “a secret project” on their LinkedIn for YEARS. They just updated it to be Metroid Prime Remastered.

Some other company is doing Prime 2 and 3.
Definitely fine with this and I really hope the rumor of MP Remastered being the graphical and artistic blueprint for the remasters of 2 and 3 pans out.

as a major Metroid fan, I would legit be pissed if Prime 2 and 3 don't get the same treatment as Prime remastered. you can't give me a high-class meal than give me burger king to eat (and no I don't expect people to be fine with up res ports there would definitely be a bit of pushback from fans)

as a major Metroid fan, I would legit be pissed if Prime 2 and 3 don't get the same treatment as Prime remastered. you can't give me a high-class meal than give me burger king to eat (and no I don't expect people to be fine with up res ports there would definitely be a bit of pushback from fans)
"Way better than nothing, but I'm still bummed" would be my exact response to more basic upres remasters of Echoes and Corruption.

I hope Prime 4 teaches Nintendo not to announce games too early. I get it, they were panicking over just launching Switch, didn't want to repeat the Wii U situation, but it's been 4 years of active development and we still have one jpeg.
If it were announced, say, this september with the release early next year it would also not be so hyped up. Right now it's got so many expectations riding on it, I wonder if they can even deliver a game many want.

I hope Prime 4 teaches Nintendo not to announce games too early. I get it, they were panicking over just launching Switch, didn't want to repeat the Wii U situation, but it's been 4 years of active development and we still have one jpeg.
If it were announced, say, this september with the release early next year it would also not be so hyped up. Right now it's got so many expectations riding on it, I wonder if they can even deliver a game many want.
I know it was announced too early even when Bamco were still the ones developing, but it can't be overstated how much the reboot under Retro compounded the matter. They had to start over from zero, as far as we can reasonably assume, so yeah... an unprecedented situation like that, coupled with such an early announcement, naturally results in years of restless fans putting forth their best doom and gloom memes. I do understand that, but at the same time, chill out! AAA game development takes a great deal of time, effort, and money. 5 years or so makes for a normal dev cycle for a game of this caliber. The process is doing its thing, so people should just trust it. I obviously would've loved to have finally seen it in this last Direct, but the time wasn't right. We just need to be a bit more patient and let Retro work their magic.

It's been said many times, but I'd loved to have seen exactly how Bamco's Prime 4 was shaping up. Where did they go wrong? Would it have been a disaster, or simply "mid", that Nintendo determined wasn't worthwhile enough to continue with? Was it ugly? Unfun? Was the story and lore awful? A Prime 4 with bad lore... I don't think I'd be able to cope. I gotta go ly dow,

It's worth noting that it feels longer because it's unusual for Nintendo, at least in the Switch lifetime (other than bayo 3 and totk to an extent). Most other developers often announce games way too early.

If Prime 4 had not been announced in 2017, Nintendo would have quietly canceled it.
eh, the fact that they announced it at all shows that they were pretty darn hyped to work on it. I doubt they would have cancelled.

It's been said many times, but I'd loved to have seen exactly how Bamco's Prime 4 was shaping up. Where did they go wrong? Would it have been a disaster, or simply "mid", that Nintendo determined wasn't worthwhile enough to continue with? Was it ugly? Unfun? Was the story and lore awful? A Prime 4 with bad lore... I don't think I'd be able to cope. I gotta go ly dow,
One day it will leak. Maybe on another server leak, but it will happen and maybe we will get to see a few pics =). Perhaps some employee from bandai will give some info about it years from now, who knows? But i def think we will be learning about it after mp4 releases.

I know it was announced too early even when Bamco were still the ones developing, but it can't be overstated how much the reboot under Retro compounded the matter. They had to start over from zero, as far as we can reasonably assume, so yeah... an unprecedented situation like that, coupled with such an early announcement, naturally results in years of restless fans putting forth their best doom and gloom memes. I do understand that, but at the same time, chill out! AAA game development takes a great deal of time, effort, and money. 5 years or so makes for a normal dev cycle for a game of this caliber. The process is doing its thing, so people should just trust it. I obviously would've loved to have finally seen it in this last Direct, but the time wasn't right. We just need to be a bit more patient and let Retro work their magic.

See I'd love to see it too, but if Nintendo execs saw it and canned it, you would have to think it was pretty bad

I’m glad Nintendo announced it. When the game comes out no one gonna go on about how they announced it 7 years earlier. They did it because of the announcement for Samus Returns on the 3DS. They knew how people didn’t want game announcements for the 3DS anymore. They made the right choice.

I’m glad Nintendo announced it. When the game comes out no one gonna go on about how they announced it 7 years earlier. They did it because of the announcement for Samus Returns on the 3DS. They knew how people didn’t want game announcements for the 3DS anymore. They made the right choice.
idk. I think that nintendo announced mp4 as a way to say that the hardcore market wouldn't be utterly ignored and would have its place on the console.

Yeah, in the end, I'm definitely happier having had the game announced early. Like oracion said further up the page, had there been no early announcement, Nintendo might've just quietly cancelled whatever Bamco was putting together. Who knows. This way, they at least feel compelled to deliver on their promise.

idk. I think that nintendo announced mp4 as a way to say that the hardcore market wouldn't be utterly ignored and would have its place on the console.
both-is-good-both.gif

I only ever expected and wanted simple HD remasters with modified controls, prime 1 remaster was above and beyond that so I don't mind if prime 2/3 are like that

If Prime 4 had not been announced in 2017, Nintendo would have quietly canceled it.
I disagree, maybe they wouldn't have announced it yet and kept silent about it.

I only ever expected and wanted simple HD remasters with modified controls, prime 1 remaster was above and beyond that so I don't mind if prime 2/3 are like that
Agreed and it will still be much better than Wi trilogy but the remade graphics made the experience even better.

Yep, I still have not gotten over Resident 2 and 3 on GameCube.

Yeah I’m glad they announced it too. It’s been a long and agonizing wait yeah, but it’s nice to have something to look forward to as a Metroid fan and just makes me happy the series has a future.

Like imagine if we got SR and Nintendo didn’t announce Prime 4 but everything behind the scenes played out the exact same. There’s a part of me, deep down, that thinks the early announcement is such a blessing because they might’ve just outright cancelled the game entirely once BN failed and called it quits there, but didn’t because of the pressure of the game already being publicly announced.

On top of that without an announcement, there would’ve been a pretty agonizing time for Metroid fans between SR and Dread’s announcement with nothing on the horizon, and debates whether or not SR sold enough or if it killed the series again. Prime 4 has been a nice, looming reminder that the series lives for 6 years. It’s a comfort lol.

But now that we have Dread and it sold the best in the series, I no longer need that comfort. Just show me the game! Lol

On another note, I get the feeling this thread will be ramping up a lot in the coming months. Is there anything anyone wants me to threadmark? add to OP?

I’ve never been one who could make fancy graphics and stuff😅 but open to ideas, the TotK one was amazing and I feel this is… inadequate lol

I believe Prime 2 and 3 will be similar efforts or asset reusing MPR, and will be released on a year without Metroid releases. Either between Prime 4 and Metroid 6 or between Metroid 6 and whatever is next.

Would be wild to have both of them this year tho. It does have a chance that they make more traditional remasters (as in new textures and lighting but keeping the assets/models/world maps), emulation or a minor chance that some other developer took 2 and 3 after Prime Remastered was done by 2021.

Yeah I’m glad they announced it too. It’s been a long and agonizing wait yeah, but it’s nice to have something to look forward to as a Metroid fan and just makes me happy the series has a future.

Like imagine if we got SR and Nintendo didn’t announce Prime 4 but everything behind the scenes played out the exact same. There’s a part of me, deep down, that thinks the early announcement is such a blessing because they might’ve just outright cancelled the game entirely once BN failed and called it quits there, but didn’t because of the pressure of the game already being publicly announced.

On top of that without an announcement, there would’ve been a pretty agonizing time for Metroid fans between SR and Dread’s announcement with nothing on the horizon, and debates whether or not SR sold enough or if it killed the series again. Prime 4 has been a nice, looming reminder that the series lives for 6 years. It’s a comfort lol.

But now that we have Dread and it sold the best in the series, I no longer need that comfort. Just show me the game! Lol
Agreed completely. The early announcement and continues reassurance of "yeah, we're working on it" has been nice. More than anything it's just good to know Nintendo values and views the Prime series as important.

#TrustTheProcess

Didn’t Emily say Prime 2 + 3 weren’t going to be as much effort as Prime 1? I trust her over anyone.
Yeah. Depends on the definition of effort. Prime 1R already did a lot of the grunt work in terms of technical backend. 2 and 3 remasters should mainly just be creating new assets and adapting 3's controls.

Idk Prime's art direction is solid by itself that I'd be content with simple 1080p ports of 2/3. #TrustTheProcess

Feel like we're not going to see the game this year, particularly with the recent job postings. September does feel too early, although perhaps there's a slim chance at the VGAs.

Feel like we're not going to see the game this year, particularly with the recent job postings. September does feel too early, although perhaps there's a slim chance at the VGAs.
if Nintendo even goes there. they been slowly pulling out of Geoff's show since Reggie left.

I don't think MP4 will show up until Drake is announced. still for Switch, but it'll be BotW'd

If Nintendo knew the game was meeting deadlines for a March launch we can definitely see it in September. They would’ve told Retro months ago to have something ready for a direct later in the year.

I truly have no idea what we could see in September as far as "new" announcements if MP4 isn't there. DK?
Definitely no to DK I say, especially with Mario Wonder coming. I see DK being announced in a February 2024 direct. I’m not sure what else brand new first party Nintendo could announce. There could be some smaller stuff like a Kirby spin-off.

Back
Top Bottom