• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Didn’t Emily say Prime 2 + 3 weren’t going to be as much effort as Prime 1? I trust her over anyone.
belmont mentioned that nintendo was looking for new studios as a replacement for retro, if belmont came and gave some indepth explanation to what he meant i would believe him more than any any leaker lol.

Yeah. Depends on the definition of effort. Prime 1R already did a lot of the grunt work in terms of technical backend. 2 and 3 remasters should mainly just be creating new assets and adapting 3's controls.

Idk Prime's art direction is solid by itself that I'd be content with simple 1080p ports of 2/3. #TrustTheProcess

Prime 3 would be such a massive undertaking I feel like. It easily has the most detailed and complex art, and there is just such a ridiculous amount of unique assets, especially compared with Prime 2, which reuses a lot in the dark world. And yeah, they'd have to do something about those controls, because the motion controls in Prime R simply won't cut it for Corruption.

Prime 3 would be such a massive undertaking I feel like. It easily has the most detailed and complex art, and there is just such a ridiculous amount of unique assets, especially compared with Prime 2, which reuses a lot in the dark world. And yeah, they'd have to do something about those controls, because the motion controls in Prime R simply won't cut it for Corruption.
MP1R's motions controls would be fine for 3 I think. They'll have to remap's 3's controls to traditional gamepad controls anyway.

MP1R's motions controls would be fine for 3 I think. They'll have to remap's 3's controls to traditional gamepad controls anyway.

I feel like lock on free aim is such an integral part of MP3's design that traditional controls won't work, and Gyro controls simply aren't a suitable replacement for the precision of the IR pointer. It's part of the reason why I don't even believe MP3 is in the cards.

I'd love to be wrong though, and hope they can figure it out.

like i said before:

Echoes needs it because its ugly. Corruption needs it because its pretty.

if Nintendo even goes there. they been slowly pulling out of Geoff's show since Reggie left.

I don't think MP4 will show up until Drake is announced. still for Switch, but it'll be BotW'd

Unsurprising to hear that, given how news adverse Nintendo are in modern times.

Yeah, I'd place a bet on maybe early 2025, just in time for the Drake.

Isn't the September direct usually made to line up with TGS? If Metroid isn't popular in Japan, does that hurt the chances of it showing up?

Isn't the September direct usually made to line up with TGS? If Metroid isn't popular in Japan, does that hurt the chances of it showing up?
won't have anything to do with Metroid showing up or not. Metroid would be in a direct regardless of its poor status in japan

I think we might be looking at something like Skyward Sword HD for Metroid Prime 3.
It won't have much of a visual improvement outside of resolution, texture filtering and maybe textures, but will be a high effort deal due to the work needed to both translate the controls fully to button and analogue and mastering the pointer controls in gyro.

Prime 2 I really hope is at least a Wind Waker HD effort, as in all new textures and lighting.

I don't think we should expect visual remakes like Prime Remastered for the other 2.

At least not if they're coming before Prime 4. If they're 2025, then sure, it probably means the team that took over the games after Prime Remastered was done in 2021 had time to use that engine and assets and textures on 2 and 3 and remake the games.

Well yes, I know it would be in a direct, but I mean specifically the september one.
That holds little value in this situation. Nintendo will show whatever they want. The Nintendo Direct is a worldwide event, not a TGS event. Maybe for third party Japanese devs you’ll get more in the September direct.

That holds little value in this situation. Nintendo will show whatever they want. The Nintendo Direct is a worldwide event, not a TGS event. Maybe for third party Japanese devs you’ll get more in the September direct.
Ok cool. I'm honestly just trying not to get my hopes up, because as much as I feel Metroid Prime 4 is a good fit for the Game Awards, I don't expect it to be there. September seems like the last shot for this year (A reveal, not release. I never expected Prime 4 to release this year.)

I think we might be looking at something like Skyward Sword HD for Metroid Prime 3.
It won't have much of a visual improvement outside of resolution, texture filtering and maybe textures, but will be a high effort deal due to the work needed to both translate the controls fully to button and analogue and mastering the pointer controls in gyro.

Prime 2 I really hope is at least a Wind Waker HD effort, as in all new textures and lighting.

I don't think we should expect visual remakes like Prime Remastered for the other 2.

At least not if they're coming before Prime 4. If they're 2025, then sure, it probably means the team that took over the games after Prime Remastered was done in 2021 had time to use that engine and assets and textures on 2 and 3 and remake the games.
I really hope they're both being worked on properly for a later release (preferably in what would be otherwise Metroid-less years), after how glorious the remaster was I would not be best pleased if they shat out the last two for the sake of getting them out before 4.

I really hope they're both being worked on properly for a later release (preferably in what would be otherwise Metroid-less years), after how glorious the remaster was I would not be best pleased if they shat out the last two for the sake of getting them out before 4.
I'd much rather have them coming after Prime 4 too. If Nintendo wants to shadowdrop a remaster before MP4, I hope they choose Samus Returns.
Then have Prime 2, 3 and Metroid 6 for 2025/2026 as cross gen titles.

We already have the Prime 3 controls in Prime 1 remastered for the most part though.

I don't think they will do much more than that, maybe just a slight rework for the bosses where you have to lock on and aim around the center.
Prime 1 already let's you do that, it's just kinda inconvenient if you don't have gyro enabled.

I'd also much rather have them after Prime 4, even if I think like 2 more then 1, but I'll have to replay them.

I'm at the point where if we don't see Metroid Prime 4 in September, then I'm willing to admit it's going to be crossgen or a new system exclusive.
I think it’ll be crossgen anyway, but we’re seeing it in September.

I'm at the point where if we don't see Metroid Prime 4 in September, then I'm willing to admit it's going to be crossgen or a new system exclusive.
I think it depends on when it'll launch. If it's a fall 2024 game of course it's gonna be cross gen, maybe Switch 2 launch title even.

But even if it's fall 2024 it can appear in September like Bayonetta 3 did.

At the moment I'm hoping for a September reveal for a May launch.

It's not gonna skip OG Switch tho. It's been officially announced for it for 6 years, has been officially rebooted for it for 4.5 years, it'll come for it whenever it comes. If the successor is already out by the time it comes, it's gonna be cross gen. But I don't think they're gonna purposefully delay the game to make it cross gen.

I think it depends on when it'll launch. If it's a fall 2024 game of course it's gonna be cross gen, maybe Switch 2 launch title even.

But even if it's fall 2024 it can appear in September like Bayonetta 3 did.

At the moment I'm hoping for a September reveal for a May launch.

It's not gonna skip OG Switch tho. It's been officially announced for it for 6 years, has been officially rebooted for it for 4.5 years, it'll come for it whenever it comes. If the successor is already out by the time it comes, it's gonna be cross gen. But I don't think they're gonna purposefully delay the game to make it cross gen.
Oh my goodness, you just made me realize that if it's a May release, then it could very well land on my birthday because my birthday is May 10th, a Friday in 2024. That would be the most incredible birthday gift Nintendo could ever give me.

We already have the Prime 3 controls in Prime 1 remastered for the most part though.

I don't think they will do much more than that, maybe just a slight rework for the bosses where you have to lock on and aim around the center.
Prime 1 already let's you do that, it's just kinda inconvenient if you don't have gyro enabled.

I'd also much rather have them after Prime 4, even if I think like 2 more then 1, but I'll have to replay them.
I strongly agree. It would be muuch better if they took the time to "remake" them like MP1R instead of rushing them to release before MP4. Would be a great game to fill some of the time between MP4 and... the next prime game afterwards.

Im hoping that mp4 will lead to an era of spin offs as well.

the first 2 areas in Prime 2 to are so drab and boring and sometimes ugly
Temple Grounds is pretty boring. But Agon Wastes is good for what it sets out to do (be a wasteland) and Torvus Bog is great too. Then Sanctuary Fortress is the best area in the whole series.

Prime 3 has the best overall world design in the series though, every area is a knockout and the Pirate Homeworld is superb. I'd rank it 3 > 2 > 1.

I really hope Prime 4 doesn't play it safe and doesn't do the typical fire/ice/water theming Prime 1 has.

Last edited:
I really hope Prime 4 doesn't play it safe and doesn't do the typical fire/ice/water theming Prime 1 has.
I dontvthink it will, eould go against all other ips on the switch, that have either been revamped or expanded

And ill be real on this one, ifnit was safe it would have been released already.

unlike a lot of immsims, Metroid has the benefit of being backed by Nintendo and being close to a good source of brain to pick from as Prey was made in Austin. poach those designers

They have hired from Arkane already, though no designers afaik. Retro's core "design" team rarely sees any job openings the way other departments do

I don't hate Agon Wastes, but it's definitely my least favourite area in Prime 2.
I actually enjoy Temple Grounds a lot. Especially the music. Sanctuary Fortress is the #1 reason I want to see a Prime 2 Remaster on the same level as Metroid Prime 1.

Count me in on the agon love, especially with the backstory of it being an idyllic plain before the ing fucked it up. I think temple grounds is ok too, torvus is awesome and sanctuary fortress is god tier.

Not a fan of Temple Grounds outside of the music... Its tied for my lease favorite Prime series area along with Magmoor Caverns.

Agon though I quite like. The level design is pretty unique with the combination of a scorched desert and a Pirate Base with twisting passages and morphball tunnels galore, providing for some nice pacing through the level. It also has some really unique enemies like the two headed worm monsters. I'm also a fan of the early game boss battles here, a huge step up from Prime 1. I can see how people find it audiovisually drab, but I actually really dig the noisey ambient soundtrack and arid, dry colour tones.

It's far from the most remarkable Prime environment but I find it quite good, and it's drabness is part of the reason why the cool colours and analogue bubble bath of lo-fi melodies of Torvus Bog hit as hard as they do.

I'm just excited for these damn games to release on Switch in any capacity. That's not to say I wouldn't love Prime-Remastered-level visual overhauls for 2 and 3, but as someone who beat all of the 2D Metroids in 2021 before Dread dropped, and whose only experience with the Prime games has been the Switch remaster, I'm itching for more. As long as the remasters are more generous than Pikmin 1 + 2, I'm happy.

Last edited:
I'm just excited for these damn games to release on Switch in any capacity. That's not to say I wouldn't love Prime-Remastered-level visual overhauls for 2, and 3, but as someone who beat all of the 2D Metroids in 2021 when Dread dropped, and whose only experience with the Prime games has been the Switch remaster, I'm itching for more. As long as the remasters are more generous than Pikmin 1 + 2, I'm happy.
For real. Idc about it being Metroid Prime Remastered quality. Touch them and and have them play good on Switch.

I dontvthink it will, eould go against all other ips on the switch, that have either been revamped or expanded

And ill be real on this one, ifnit was safe it would have been released already.
I don't think they're worried about what other franchises are doing.

Prime 4 is just the first new game in over 15 years, and Prime 1 is the most critically acclaimed while its sequels are more divisive. Factors like that have historically been reason for developers to play it safe with refresh sequels.

Game development times are just totally fucked now across the industry. Playing it safe or not would not impacted this protracted dev cycle. #TrustTheProcess

I don't think they're worried about what other franchises are doing.

Prime 4 is just the first new game in over 15 years, and Prime 1 is the most critically acclaimed while its sequels are more divisive. Factors like that have historically been reason for developers to play it safe with refresh sequels.

Game development times are just totally fucked now across the industry. Playing it safe or not would not impacted this protracted dev cycle. #TrustTheProcess
A safe game would be both less acclaimed and sell less as well! I think it is in their primary interest to not do this.

Prime was only safe in comparison to its sequels. (And generally echoes honestly isnt any more daring than prime).

I certainly dont want to imagine a review that starts with "why buy MP4 when i can just buy MPR? If both feel like they came from the 2000s at least one costs 40$"

And as a fan, that would hurt me a lot. To see all the other ips getting more and more complex, expanded, or outright rebooting it and making them bigger whilr i am stuck with something that could have been made decades ago.

A safe game would be both less acclaimed and sell less as well! I think it is in their primary interest to not do this.

Prime was only safe in comparison to its sequels. (And generally echoes honestly isnt any more daring than prime).

I certainly dont want to imagine a review that starts with "why buy MP4 when i can just buy MPR? If both feel like they came from the 2000s at least one costs 40$"

And as a fan, that would hurt me a lot. To see all the other ips getting more and more complex, expanded, or outright rebooting it and making them bigger whilr i am stuck with something that could have been made decades ago.

Dread is a super safe experience and is the best selling game of the franchise (and also one of the most acclaimed ones).

crossgen might make sense, exclusively on Switch 2 or whatever less so. Metroid benefits to as many customers as possible since its sales are always more frontloaded.

Dread is a super safe experience and is the best selling game of the franchise (and also one of the most acclaimed ones).
Its funny that you re trying to imply that dread's success comes from its "safer" parts when it was certainly due to how massively action packed it was.

And yeah dread isnt safe, it might not be a complete reboot for the franchise but it absolutely isnt safe. Its completely action packed, alters the way we get items, returns with some of the non linearity that we hadn't seen in the franchise since ZM, that sort of thing.
Wait what? Like closing retro or selling them off?
No lol. As a replacement for mp2r and mp3r.

Wait what? Like closing retro or selling them off?
I think that if Retro can't deliver on Metroid Prime 4 then they basically stopped functioning as a competent game developer. I mean it has been years since we've seen any original content from them. I hope they deliver on Prime 4 and stick with Prime for the foreseeable future but if Prime 4 fails to show up Nintendo should look elsewhere. I'm still hopeful that it releases though but it might as well be a Switch NG launch title.

Okay good, that gave me a heart attack haha
nintendo has never closed or sold a single studio, retro, even if they fail at mp4, wont be the first one.

They re too good at visuals, i imagine if they failed at mp4 nintendo would probably require them to start helping making EPD titles look good. And making smaller titles themselves.

nintendo has never closed or sold a single studio, retro, even if they fail at mp4, wont be the first one.

They re too good at visuals, i imagine if they failed at mp4 nintendo would probably require them to start helping making EPD titles look good. And making smaller titles themselves.
Retro getting NST'd would be funny as shit

Back
Top Bottom