• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Metroid Prime 1 remake and 4 in the same year does not make any sense
agreed.
Easily the funniest extremely impressive game resume I have ever seen.

image.png

image.png
Retro preparing to do an add on that downloads RAM from the internet.

what if he announces a major new IP from Next Level 🤔
i never understood this infactuation that happens in this forum with EPD people announcing things from the outside studios. First off i dont think they would make anyone appear on stage. And second they wouldn't reveal it was a NLG game as NLG doesnt gets that sort of credit (If by some change of heart they did want people to know, it would most likely just show their logo like with X's announcement in 2013)
A generic shooter might have killed the Metroid series, so thank god we didn't get that. Metroid thrives on how unique it is.

Unironically i think it depends. Lets say it was a generic but well done shooter i could sadly see it still being a big success for metroid levels lmao.

i never understood this infactuation that happens in this forum with EPD people announcing things from the outside studios. First off i dont think they would make anyone appear on stage. And second they wouldn't reveal it was a NLG game as NLG doesnt gets that sort of credit (If by some change of heart they did want people to know, it would most likely just show their logo like with X's announcement in 2013)
I ain't being serious, bro. Tanabe doesn't do much publicity anyway

They're not going to drop the Prime name, it's the name of the subseries. Unless they decide to ignore what happened at the end of FF, Sylux is obviously going to create the new Metroid Prime. Honestly I doubt they'll even drop the 4. They'll add a subtitle for sure though.
Thought I replied to this earlier, but how could Sylux create a new Metroid Prime, lol.

Metroid Prime was a Metroid badly corrupted by Phazon who then absorbed some of Samus' DNA and her suit (and then took on the form of Dark Samus). At the end of Prime 3, all Phazon is destroyed.

"Metroid Prime Federation Force" is already a weird title as Metroid Prime (Dark Samus) was killed at the end of 3.

Thought I replied to this earlier, but how could Sylux create a new Metroid Prime, lol.

Metroid Prime was a Metroid badly corrupted by Phazon who then absorbed some of Samus' DNA and her suit (and then took on the form of Dark Samus). At the end of Prime 3, all Phazon is destroyed.

"Metroid Prime Federation Force" is already a weird title as Metroid Prime (Dark Samus) was killed at the end of 3.
I think a metroid prime equivalent is likely through some non-phazon mutation, or sylux fuses himself with it or something. Prime already had hunters so MP/DS don't have to be present. The "Prime" name holds too much prestige to drop

I think a metroid prime equivalent is likely through some non-phazon mutation, or sylux fuses himself with it or something. Prime already had hunters so MP/DS don't have to be present. The "Prime" name holds too much prestige to drop

Coming up with a new Metroid villain that is also a Metroid mutated (and this by a new mutating material right after the last game destroyed the previous mutating material!) by a not super interesting character just seems pretty boring though. We already did this plot but without needing Sylux.

Coming up with a new Metroid villain that is also a Metroid mutated (and this by a new mutating material right after the last game destroyed the previous mutating material!) by a not super interesting character just seems pretty boring though. We already did this plot but without needing Sylux.
Maybe but we know sylux and metroids are involved.

Be honest, I'm a fool for thinking Prime 4 could be what BOTW was for Zelda in terms of making the franchise mainstream?, which is why I think it'll be cross-gen with Nintendo's next console?

Like God of War 2018 or BotW, it would probably need to be a different genre than prior games to have a sales explosion. Open world, linear cinematic, or online are the only real genres where breakouts like that happen though and the last two seem very unlikely.

Be honest, I'm a fool for thinking Prime 4 could be what BOTW was for Zelda in terms of making the franchise mainstream?, which is why I think it'll be cross-gen with Nintendo's next console?
if by that you mean 5-8 million, then I don't necessarily think so.

I could see it being a "Forgotten Land" scale breakout. One that more so reaffirms that, yes, Metroid is important and, yes, Metroid can be big with a more general audience, rather than some phenomenon like BOTW

An LM3-esque breakout is probably the best case scenario for metroid currently

If you mean literally like botw, no. Although that by no means is a disappointment (despite what a few forums would make you believe)
A break out title for the series, assuming everything goes as well as it should? Def so.

8-10 million is def attainable but everything will have to align for it to happen lol.

LM3 sold 2x as much as LM2 but was much better received and was on a platform that was much better at selling software.

Felt like pretty normal growth for the franchise after how well LM2 sold.

Metroid Prime 1 remake and 4 in the same year does not make any sense
Yup. I think both are gonna be announced this year, but both coming is flat out impossible imo. Only 2D Mario did that in the past IIRC. If you count spin offs Fire Emblem and Mario do it constantly tho.
I just think Metroid Prime Remake this summer and 4 spring 2024 makes way more sense. Or Remake this holiday and 4 next holiday.
Do we think there will be a subtitle, and if so, what?
I think there's definitely gonna be a subtitle.
While Dread was an internal name, I think fans clamoring for it had an impact on the decision to bring that subtitle back. So I think "Resurrection" or "Deception" can be a good hook.
It depends actually. BotW did triple the best selling game before that, or more than double of the best selling game if you count its remakester.
Metroid Prime 4 doing triple Dread will put it at the 9-11M range, which, while optimistic, can happen.
Luigi's Mansion 2 was a great growth from 1 and made 3 get into better than Zelda before BotW and same as Animal Crossing and 3D Mario before their Switch entries.
Zelda was always one of the biggest franchises of Nintendo despite never having touched 10M(ignoring OoT + OoT 3D), and BotW brought it to outsell the best selling 3D Mario and touch floors that only 2D Mario, Wii series and Mario Kart ever touched. 3D Mario was always a sales juggernaut from Ninty but Odyssey brought it to 2D Mario/Mario Kart levels almost.

We clearly can lose context when comparing anything to that, because that's a reality that not even AAA+ games reach. Like, I remember when Tomb Raider reboot was like 5M selling and it was considered a huge success, already the best selling of the franchise, and that's for a game that costed more than 100 million dollars when it would be enough to enter the top 5 most expensive games ever. TLOU is another one that only came to the huge sales of Switch games after awhile and being on PS4, but what it sold on PS3 was already considered a huge success by Sony, and, again, it was on the list of the most expensive games of all time.

Nintendo turning Fire Emblem and Xenoblade into regular ~2M sellers that can go way higher than that sometimes but never will reach 10M is enough for them to give big budgets to make those and spent a lot in marketing them.

Metroid being a regular 2-5 million seller will put it right above FE and Xenoblade (not by awhile tho ofc), and on the same league as Kirby and even Zelda before BotW if some of them manages to go higher(like, single SKU best selling Zelda was OoT with 7.6M).
You mean SA-X? That was kinda boring as its creation tho.
The X parasites story in Dread was way more interesting tho, and Raven Beak and Old Bird were far more charismatic and memorable on that game despite never appearing before. They totally can give some shocking backstory to Sylux, mainly after Dread, that turns him into a great character to hate.
if by that you mean 5-8 million, then I don't necessarily think so.

I could see it being a "Forgotten Land" scale breakout. One that more so reaffirms that, yes, Metroid is important and, yes, Metroid can be big with a more general audience, rather than some phenomenon like BOTW
Yessss this. While Forgotten Land was the first 3D Kirby game, it still felt like Kirby and was a great translation of the Kirby universe to 3D. It was a major success regardless selling more than 5 million fast. And Kirby is constant. As FE is constant and Metroid might be constant from Dread onwards.
Nintendo is happy enough with Xenoblade being a constant 1.5-2.5 million seller in their catalogue, and always were with Kirby being a constant million seller until Star Allies and FL brought bigger numbers back and it's now to become a constant 4-6million seller. Ninty will be happy with 2D Metroid being a constant 2-3 million seller and Prime being a constant 4-5 million seller, with Dread and Prime 4 being on the higher end or smashing that.

I think it has the potential to be one of the best looking Switch games, Retro achieved so much on the gamecube... it's gonna be gawgeous

The best looking free camera (as fixed camera helps a huge amount with lighting and makes 3D World and Luigi's Mansion 3 and Mario Party etc look way better) Switch game is.... Mario Kart 8 I guess? Though that is not really free camera, just not a traditional fixed camera.

Hmm, not sure what I would pick as best looking free camera game.

The best looking free camera (as fixed camera helps a huge amount with lighting and makes 3D World and Luigi's Mansion 3 and Mario Party etc look way better) Switch game is.... Mario Kart 8 I guess? Though that is not really free camera, just not a traditional fixed camera.

Hmm, not sure what I would pick as best looking free camera game.
Astral Chain? Odyssey?

I think it has the potential to be one of the best looking Switch games, Retro achieved so much on the gamecube... it's gonna be gawgeous
Metroid Prime Remastered looks gorgeous and I can only imagine what a game built from the ground up is going to look like.

Nate thinks Prime 4 is even more likely for Holiday 2023 now. Nintendo could've easily held Prime Remastered back if they needed H2 2023 games, but instead, it feels like they got it out the door with urgency.

Honestly, it's what I expect too now. I really think a June direct could bring Prime 4, F-Zero and maybe 2 more smaller games (I could see some kind of DK game and maybe like a Mario Party) to round out the year...and then the transition to new hardware will start in 2024 with maybe a few last minute ports to the switch in 2024 (while I don't think they exist - if they did, I think the Gamecube Zelda remasters could slot in here).

Nate thinks Prime 4 is even more likely for Holiday 2023 now. Nintendo could've easily held Prime Remastered back if they needed H2 2023 games, but instead, it feels like they got it out the door with urgency.
Even if I still lean more towards "Q1 2023", myself, it's still a very good look, either way.

If they're ready, I'm ready.

Honestly, it's what I expect too now. I really think a June direct could bring Prime 4, F-Zero and maybe 2 more smaller games (I could see some kind of DK game and maybe like a Mario Party) to round out the year...and then the transition to new hardware will start in 2024 with maybe a few last minute ports to the switch in 2024 (while I don't think they exist - if they did, I think the Gamecube Zelda remasters could slot in here).
Yeah, June Direct feels like Prime 4, F-Zero GX Remastered, DK or 2D Mario, maybe Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Zelda DLC perhaps (maybe too early). We're eating so much better in H1 than I was anticipating.
Even if I still lean more towards "Q1 2023", myself, it's still a very good look, either way.

If they're ready, I'm ready.
Guessing you meant Q1 2024, which I definitely agree could still happen. To me, shadow-dropping a stunning remaster of one of Nintendo's all-time greatest games happened to ensure that there's about 9-12 months between Prime Remaster and Prime 4.

Guessing you meant Q1 2024, which I definitely agree could still happen. To me, shadow-dropping a stunning remaster of one of Nintendo's all-time greatest games happened to ensure that there's about 9-12 months between Prime Remaster and Prime 4.
Haha, yeah.

My life has been a bit of wild time warp for the last week, so no wonder I forget it's 2023!

Yeah I'm now super confident in Q1 2024.
Even holiday 2023 can happen. Wild how a Direct changed everything lol.

On different websites, I saw some ideas going around that Prime 4 is still very far away and that they will drip feed the trilogy to make up for the wait. What do you all think of this?

I personally think it's the opposite. If Prime 4 was truly so far away, I doubt they would have released Prime Remastered with such urgency. It's like they were just trying to get it out as soon as possible. I kind of doubt that either 2 or 3 will release before 4, honestly. That's just my guess, though. As the shadowdrop of Prime Remastered demonstrated, anything can happen.

On different websites, I saw some ideas going around that Prime 4 is still very far away and that they will drip feed the trilogy to make up for the wait. What do you all think of this?

I personally think it's the opposite. If Prime 4 was truly so far away, I doubt they would have released Prime Remastered with such urgency. It's like they were just trying to get it out as soon as possible. I kind of doubt that either 2 or 3 will release before 4, honestly. That's just my guess, though. As the shadowdrop of Prime Remastered demonstrated, anything can happen.

I'm with you

Dripping the Prime trilogy seems like a safe way to burn out the audience a bit..

There's one thing to release a trilogy at once because it's still just one purchase, one marketing round and so on.. but releasing 3 different games in a similar fashion leading up to the main course? Not sure. Could have the opposite effect instead of generating hype, deflating it.

Thinking we'll see Prime 4 after this.

I agree with you that Metroid Prime Remastered shadow dropping feels like they want to give plenty of buffer room so they can release Metroid Prime 4 in the same year. If Prime 4 was so far away, they probably would have dragged out the release of Remastered.

I also don't see any reason why they need to release 2 and 3 before 4. Ocarina of Time 3D released five months before Skyward Sword, and it took another few years to get remasters of the other 3D Zelda games.

So, 4 years after the reboot announcement, we have nothing on MP4.

Therefore, I’m going to proceed to focus my rage on Retro Studios and Nintendo for the lack of news.

is there any chance they will push this to be a switch 2 exclusive? i didn't believe they would until prime remastered was shown in the direct without a hint of prime 4, now maybe ??

Nah, they obviously did it because they have no games for H2, so they won't be at E3 and will take a 6 months spiritual retreat from all marketing and media to cut costs and exercise frugality.

Grain Of salt, but this person says Prime 4 is having development hell and Nintendo is tired of it.

And its all in tounges.

Quoting this from another thread to discuss here.

I don't buy this at all. They restarted the game with Retro Studios because the Bamco version was kinda messy. That's because they trusted the assist work Retro was already doing for it and the work they were doing on Prime Remastered.

Prime Remastered was released as a shadowdrop. You don't shadowdrop a game to test waters of how much your game announced 6 years ago will sell. If anything tested the waters, it was Dread, and it was an absolute success. I'd argue not even that was testing the waters. Nintendo was confident on it, to the point of releasing a Switch premium new model with that as its launch title.

If Prime 4's development was troubled to the point of them considering a cancellation, there's no way in hell they'd fucking shadowdrop the remake of the most acclaimed Metroid game ever that took 3-4 years to make and for 40$.

If Prime 4 was ways off, as in, possible 2025 release, they'd sit on Prime Remastered for longer than they did, not have the same work with 2 and 3 while not being confident even 4 would release.

The most credible information we have was the Belmont and Emily insight, that's literally 100% on point with what happened(completed development late summer 2021, labeled as remaster while being a full asset remake), also said they were probably aiming for a holiday 2022 game(anniversary), and Emily was told Prime 4 was aiming for a 2023 release.

I thought they moved each one year back(Prime Remastered 2023 and Prime 4 2024). The shocking decision of shadowdropping it in February makes me think they're now aiming for either holiday 2023 or Q1 2024 and wanted to take Remastered out as soon as possible to a lot of people already having played that when they reveal Prime 4 with its release date.

If Prime 4's development was troubled to the point of them considering a cancellation, there's no way in hell they'd fucking shadowdrop the remake of the most acclaimed Metroid game ever that took 3-4 years to make and for 40$.
I agree, it really all comes down to that. I think this person is just trying to get people worked up.

For the first time I can see metroid prime 4 releasing this year, the prime shadow drop makes so much sense if we're getting prime 4 in October

Release date/development rumors are whatever, I'm more interested in how they will move the series forward gameplay-wise. Given the modern control paradigm and the default controls of MPR, it seems obvious it will be a dual analog+gyro game. Full lock-on kind of trivializes combat, and even in Zelda now you can't lock-on with ranged attacks. At the same time, missiles kind of need lock-on.

I could see them going a couple ways with it:
  • Lock-on only with missiles, using the arm cannon is always free aim.
  • Soft lock-on: the visor highlights the enemy, but all the aiming is still manual. If the enemy goes offscreen an arrow points in its direction.

Yeah, Nintendo just sat on a remaster for a year and a half just to test the waters for Prime 4. Because logic.

Metroid Prime 4 won’t have as much scanning I wonder. I can’t recall how much MP3 had
I imagine that they didn't hire various writers for the sake of lengthy cutscenes where Samus, Sylux and/or the final boss have lengthy dialogues.

Especially after this remaster reminded us of how great it is, it'd be be a shame if the long-awaited sequel didn't at least match Prime in this area, if not exceed it.

I imagine that they didn't hire various writers for the sake of lengthy cutscenes where Samus, Sylux and/or the final boss have lengthy dialogues.

Especially after this remaster reminded us of how great it is, it'd be be a shame if the long-awaited sequel didn't at least match Prime in this area, if not exceed it.
honestly this kind of storytelling only works if we are seeing stuff from the past.

There is a reason botw's narrative is criticized, you know.

Man playing through Prime again reminded of why I loved this game so much. Going through the Chozo Ruins and I'm looking up at the broken ceilings and open courts in wonder. What's up there? Man I'd love to get out on the surface as well, explore wide open spaces that lead to other tunnels and alien structures.

Prime 1 feels open worldish and I hope the size of 4 is expanded upon greatly with what worked so well already. I want all the caverns, temples and tunnels and even wider open spaces to go with them. Above and below the surface.

Back
Top Bottom