• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

Okay, I'm confused af. Am I stupid or is my game bugging out?

I beat the first Central Unit and have the Omega Blaster. It tells me to shoot the sheilding in order to overheat it and it automatically points Samus at it... but when I shoot it, nothing happens. I'm stuck in this room. I've already rebooted my game once to see if it was a bug. Am I missing something?

I'm still regretting not getting the metroid amiibo that came out with the samus returns release, now it's impossible to find

I beat the first Central Unit and have the Omega Blaster. It tells me to shoot the sheilding in order to overheat it and it automatically points Samus at it... but when I shoot it, nothing happens. I'm stuck in this room. I've already rebooted my game once to see if it was a bug. Am I missing something?
Keep Y pressed instead of R

edit: Ups double post: Should we have the ability to delete our own posts

Shoot it without charging, just hold L to aim then keep pressing Y to fire the stream of shots

Can anyone confirm, can I play with the dpad, and does the game work well with an 8bitdo controller? Don't like the switch pro controller dpad.

Dpad does not work, I can confirm.

Quoted by: VHS
Shoot it without charging, just hold L to aim then keep pressing Y to fire the stream of shots

Dpad does not work, I can confirm.
damn, thats really disappointing. I think the 8bitdo controllers can be put into a mode where the dpad sends analog signals though so I will try that out. 🤞

At work, thinking about playing...

So for when I get home, can anyone help me with a mid-game enemy / perhaps mini-boss?

The chozo warrior - how do you counter its red forward swipe? Are you supposed to phase dash through it?

That one has been absolutely kicking my ass. Love the difficulty in this game - it's tuned to where you might die once to something, but rarely twice. Gorgeous balance between keeping you on your toes and not letting you get "stuck".

Made to the big boi, this is the smoothest and fastest Metroid has ever been.

Light gameplay spoilers, 4 hours in

I really appreciate the new take on item gating. Like, in Prime, you had a hole, later you get the morph ball, and now you can get through the hole. Simple stuff, but here, you'll traverse like a third of the first area of the map before you get to the first proper gating item, and pass a ton of places you can't reach yet. Once you reach the new item, you'll double down on the entire third of the map, discover another third, another ton of places you can't reach ... it's very cool. It requires you to really pour over the map and plan ahead, it feels very rewarding to figure the world layers out, it's like the map itself is a puzzle.

One thing I don't love is countering and attacking during cutscenes. There's really no way to know what cutscenes you can interact during and which you cannot. I wish there was some kind of clearer signal that this is one you can interact with.

I’m in the second area now. The EMMI are undoubtedly going to be controversial but I liked how it was implemented in the first area. It balances quick action with giving player enough time to think where they need to go.

I am a bit surprised the morph ball isn’t the first thing you get. There are so many sections in the first area that looks morph ball friendly.

Still waiting on my SE to arrive, but I got my OLED this morning woo!

Begging for Dread to get here before I have to go home for the weekend, it'll be so hard to have an OLED yet not Dread haha

Holy shit Samus controls beautifully in this! Legit the best controlling 2D platformer I've ever played.
Movement in Dread feels great from the get go, and it only gets better from there.

This game is sooo good.

Also, someone want to give me a nudge in the right direction? Caution, Area 4 spoilers:

I've acquired flash shift and been wandering about for an hour trying to figure out what to do next and I'm lost. I went back to Dairon to try and reach the Central Unit there, but I can not find the way. Am I in the wrong place?

I'm waiting for Best Buy to open so I can pick up my special edition. Just 45 more minutes. 😵‍💫

The sound design in the E.M.M.I zones is fantastic.

In general, how they are handled is amazing. They are not dumb, but you don't have to play stealthy either. With a lot of precision you can jump above them and narrowly escape even at dead ends.

This game is sooo good.

Also, someone want to give me a nudge in the right direction? Caution, Area 4 spoilers:

I've acquired flash shift and been wandering about for an hour trying to figure out what to do next and I'm lost. I went back to Dairon to try and reach the Central Unit there, but I can not find the way. Am I in the wrong place?
Oh wow, I'm dumb, nvm.

I screwed up. So used to auto-save, I thought the checkpoints were autosaves. I lost my kill of the white emmi and everything up to the following boss fight. I need to remember where to get the omega cannon for that emmi again.

Stopped 20 minutes earlier from work and just picked up my treasures.

I'm so going caveman mode this weekend.

Metroid Dread is legitimately terrifying! I really didn't expect them to go so hard with the dread aspect! I'm playing with headphones on and I was really scared! Sound design and music are top notch.

The dread in E.M.M.I zones is fucking real man. And the sound design is not helping either... It is really kind of scary 😩

Edit:
Metroid Dread is legitimately terrifying! I really didn't expect them to go so hard with the dread aspect! I'm playing with headphones on and I was really scared! Sound design and music are top notch.
Lmao didn't even see this post, but yup! With headphones on is really creepy.

Well, damn. I managed to luck out and pick up the Special Edition and the amiibo this morning… but my Switch OLED has not arrived yet. It spit for delivery. Amazon even has a map saying it is five stops away. This anticipation is killing me lol

How do people feel about the focus on cinematics in this game compared to something like Super Metroid that was focused a lot on minimalism and was more show rather than tell?

I'm in the third area now and stuck for the first time. Legitimately have no idea where to go. I probably just need a break. Either way, incredible game so far. Metroid has never controlled better than this.

This feels sooo good... nitpick more related to the Switch, I wish there were UI scaling options. Everything feels way too big when docked, but perfect for handheld. At least it's not the other way around.

A little past the first upgrade and I'm in love already. My only complaint is I wish free aim and missiles were mapped to zl/zr. My finger natureally rests on those triggers and you use free aim and missiles a lot more then the slide so far.

12cca1b12084c584a59581947a689746.png

In stock at Amazon, just ordered!

How do people feel about the focus on cinematics in this game compared to something like Super Metroid that was focused a lot on minimalism and was more show rather than tell?
So far all the cinematics I've seen, barring the opening, has been more about action sequences during fights which is honestly very fun and refreshing to see compared to Super. Haven't really seen much story exposition, just a few Adam conversations which feel more like tutorials (most of which feel entirely unnecessary).

The cinematic are great. And dread has quite a few examples of showing too.

So far all the cinematics I've seen, barring the opening, has been more about action sequences during fights which is honestly very fun and refreshing to see compared to Super. Haven't really seen much story exposition, just a few Adam conversations which feel more like tutorials (most of which feel entirely unnecessary).
Conversations may be an overstatement because Samus hasn't talked back to him, at least at the point I am at, which is the second area.

Just popped in quickly to say I'm playing Metroid Dread and it is AWESOME. I hope the game keeps up the awesomeness all the way till the end😁. Now I'm gone again because I'm scared of spoilers. 🙀

I just defeated the first boss, got the phantom cloak, and now I'm stuck. Am I supposed to go to the lava area? I'm really confused.

Edit: Nvm, figured it out. I'm dumb.

Played until the second area now, this game is so good. Way ahead of my expectations so far!
The E.M.M.I. are a brillant mechanic in my opinion.

I just defeated the first boss, got the phantom cloak, and now I'm stuck. Am I supposed to go to the lava area? I'm really confused.

Edit: Nvm, figured it out. I'm dumb.

Heh, I also traveled two times back and forth until I found the way forward.

Beaten the game. Really good, I'm really interested in the lore perspective now

Does this mean Gray Voice was a Thoha? You see him and Old Bird in that cutscene and Raven Beak does mention that you have both Mawkin and Thohan DNA.

Also it is kind of minor but I do like how the game does set up ADAM being Raven Beak in disguise from the fact that he never calls her "Lady" after the opening cutscene and seems too...congratulatory about Raven Beak whenever he speaks about him.

i can’t get over how INSANELY HUGE the special edition is.

i haven’t been able to play b/c of work and this foot tall box is taunting me.

I just countered my first EMMI and was so shook I almost forgot to start running.

I may have sequence breaked, yay! I got an item that is "currently unknown, you cannot use this yet" or something.

pretty sure it's a power bomb upgrade

Back
Top Bottom