• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

One of my favourite songs and sums up how I feel about this morning. I still remember going out to buy Fusion on release day while I was at college.

Not me instinctively closing the game once the EMMI saw me 😭
I literally love everything about the game I've seen so far, but man I can't cope with the DREAD.
I hope I can conquer my fear and just play it!!!

Must be my recent replay of Samus Returns training me but Corpius didn’t kill me. Second boss did like 5 times though.

Diggernaut was harder than both though imo

Mine should arrive within the next 30 mins or so. Glad to have a day off today.

gCLrgC.jpg

That's my limited edition arrived. Now to head into town and pick up my Switch OLED to play it on. 😁

I finished Metroid Dread just shy of six hours. Absolutely incredible game. It is just behind Super Metroid for my favorite mainline Metroid game. So excited to collect all of the items tomorrow :)

WHERE IS MY COPY, FNAC ?!?!

Dammit I'm so disappointed, still no mail confirmation, I imagined I could get it this morning, but no, it's still "in transit" ✊😡

There is an article from 2013 where Yoshio Sakamoto explains his inspirations when developing games and how he tackled games with a comical touch (WarioWare) and games with a serious touch (like Metroid).
About the more serious style he cited famed italian film director Dario Argento, in particular the movie Deep Red.

metroid deep red -> Metroid d[eep]red -> metroid dread

farfecthed? maybe but that's the author who thought about the subtitle Other M...

I’d like to take a moment to talk about one film director that I came across in my youth. His name is Dario Argento17 and he is an Italian film maker. He is most well-known for his films, Suspiria18, and Deep Red19. Without a doubt, Deep Red has had the greatest inspiration on my creative process. I’d always been interested in scary movies, but at the time, there wasn’t one that I could really get behind. I always felt some frustration as they’d leave me feeling that “there was just something missing” about them. That is until I came across Argento’s films. I was really taken aback by the originality of his technique. The style that I’d been looking for all along was there. I discovered that without a doubt, I wanted to create things in the manner like Argento did. This is how I understood the components of his technique.

17 Dario Argento is an Italian film director who has been involved with numerous horror films.

18 Suspiria was a horror film released in 1977. It became known for its tagline (translated from Japanese) ‘’Be sure not to watch it alone’

19 Deep Red was released in 1978 in Japan, and was marketed there as ‘Suspiria Part 2’.

A creator can control the “mood,” ”timing,” ”foreshadowing,” and “contrast” to scare his audience. “Mood” can be set by the music one chooses. The music Argento used was progressive rock20. The almost indifferent echo of the stiff and robotic progressive rock sound directly brings out that feeling of terror in the audience and is far more effective than the music used in any other horror movie. And Argento effectively stopped the music at very specific moments in his scenes and did things like using sound effects to change the mood.

20 Progressive Rock is a genre of rock music that originated mainly from the UK in the late 1960s. It adopts elements of classical and jazz music and uses complex compositions and phrasings.

Also, he was meticulous about using certain tricks to increase the feeling of fear. In other words, he was a master of using “foreshadowing” to connect events to one another effectively.

And he contrasted storylines and scenes dramatically to increase the feeling of tension. Having had my sensitivity stimulated so strongly by the works of Argento in my youth, I’ve had opportunities to reflect these inspirations in my work. On the aforementioned “Famicom Detective Club Part II, the Girl Standing Behind,” I controlled the mood, timing, foreshadowing, and contrast. In other words, this title was my homage to Argento’s work.

Samus movement is so fluid, barely played anything (20 min), anxious to get off work and play more

My copy is here but OLED scheduled to be delivered by 3pm. Have a half day of work, so going to do some chores, then do system transfer to the OLED when it arrives and then...and then it's Metroid time.

It's been a long time coming, still feels surreal 😆

Loving the game so far. Question about the end of the first area.

How do I get the heat resistant suit? The entire second area has those elevated temperature rooms it seems.

Any difference in performance and/or graphics between handheld mode and on TV? Not getting the OLED, so curious where it's best played with the launch Switch.

Hooooly shit this game is good. Being chased by an EMMI feels legit terrifying. I didn't think plain looking robots would bother me like that but the way they move is extremely unsettling.

Ahhhh I want to play so bad, but I am about halfway through FFX and want to finish it before picking up another game. Thinking around Winter break I will pick it up and devour it :p

My metroid avatar for the culture though:

6pUnrHr.png

adam: samus regardless of what you do, do not try to parry the E.M.M.I.. it is almost impossible to do so. you have 99% chances of failing. do not attempt to counter him, just run. i repeat, it is virtually impossible to parry it

me: *parry it twice in a row*

I cracked, I couldnt wait any longer buying it now!!

Bought the game and played a bit of it on my TV (mainly play Switch on TV), reached the first save point before I quit (focusing on Omori atm), but it's really good. Much better than Samus Returns so far which I really disliked.

Everyone that has said "The EMMI are terrifying" were NOT kidding, holy crap.

I just finished the first boss fight and my Switch was about to die, so I’m taking that as my sign to get some coffee and run errands quickly before I completely lose the rest of my day to this game. Whew, it’s SOOO GOOD. Buttery smooth controls, and visually stunning graphics with a living world bustling in the background.

The visuals and sound design together really create an atmosphere full of… well, dread. Obviously when trying to escapes the EMMIs, which is as equally fun as it is terrifying, you get a little more adrenaline - but even when you’re just going through the regular map zones, there’s still that sense of “I have to get Samus out of here” ..and I’ve barely even begun the journey.

Ahh! It’s so good to be back in the Metroid universe with a brand new story.

Anyone have tips parrying the EMMI? Never been able to do it yet.
My best tip is to realize you actually have two chances, not one. The first when it's about to grab you, which I have not been able to do, and the second when it's about to impale you, which I've found to be way easier to predict and have done it 4 times so far.

Yeah I'm dying way too much. Thankfully you really aren't penalized too much, autosaves are quite frequent.

Yeah, I appreciate that you are sent back to right before you enter the EMMI zone, and not all the way to the last save station.

For the EMMI's I find that it helps to go in then retreat then look at the map. The game actually does a good job at giving you an idea on where to go next in those zones. Sometimes just pausing in the middle of these area (even with the EMMI chasing you) will give you a better understanding of where you need to go. Also for when you have the Omega Beam

There are usually areas where you can slide and be place about a half block down from where you are. If you do this and the EMMI is on the other side the EMMI will keep their eye where they can see you and make it easier to aim.

Can anyone confirm, can I play with the dpad, and does the game work well with an 8bitdo controller? Don't like the switch pro controller dpad.

Just started the game and my word...this game looks absolutely gorgeous and plays really smooth in handheld mode.

Back
Top Bottom