• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

how can a new metroid be any good in a world where ori and hollow knight exist

people actually said this lmao
I found Hollow Knight to be bloated and bland. It's no Metroid at all.

Would love to give Ori a shot, though.

I don't like Hollow Knight at all, but the Ori games are probably 2 of my Top 3 or 5 favourite 2D metroidvanias ever. Dread even at this early stage is making a case to force itself in there.

I can't believe we're almost here :,)

Getting No More Heroes III and Metroid DREAD within months of each other is what keeps me a Nintendo fan.

I don't like Hollow Knight at all, but the Ori games are probably 2 of my Top 3 or 5 favourite 2D metroidvanias ever. Dread even at this early stage is making a case to force itself in there.
Dayum. I hope my feelings end up mirroring yours, both on Dread and the Ori games.

Dayum. I hope my feelings end up mirroring yours, both on Dread and the Ori games.

The Ori games are like hand crafted works of art.

Dread is just this fucking super smooth, super tight, modernised old school as fuck Metroid game. As someone who wasn't as enamoured with Super Metroid like most were, I like Dread more already.

Wow, I am RUBBISH at Metroid. I've played maybe 30 mins and died like 4 times. But I'm enjoying it a lot. The gameplay is very smooth.
(Any tips to stop me dying so much?)
You gotta learn the enemy patterns to counter them. Unless you're facing the EMMI, then just run and hide.

Wow, I am RUBBISH at Metroid. I've played maybe 30 mins and died like 4 times. But I'm enjoying it a lot. The gameplay is very smooth.
(Any tips to stop me dying so much?)

I've died a shit tonne of times. I've just learned to accept I'm going to die more than I ever have in a Metroid game.

I love Metroid, Ori and Hollow Knight

This positivity is offset by the fact that I don't like the Igavania style (though the older games themselves are pretty good in spite of that style's attempts to ruin them)

Just beat Super Metroid for the first time only moments ago. Had only played Fusion beforehand. I'm cutting it close but I did it, now bring on the Dread!

Hollow Knight is one of the best games ever made.

I enjoy Ori games but I find the "sad animal just trying to survive backed by soaring orchestral music" thing it does kinda manipulative. I feel it doesn't really earn those emotional moments and thinks that "sad" intrinsically means "meaningful".

Enjoying Dread so far, surprised by how good the image quality is, and omg that frame rate. What a time to be alive.

I just beat Metroid Fusion for the first time. On a first playthrough, it's my least favorite 2D Metroid from a gameplay perspective (discounting OG Metroid and Metroid II) but I really loved the atmosphere and story throughout. Stoked out of my mind for Dread.

Just beat the first boss, and it was super fun. Probably the highlight of my playthrough so far.

Also the first area is huuuuuge.

16.3k on twitch. Good start.

Hopefully it can break 30k by tomorrow depending on who decides to play and stream the game.

the emmi chases are scary alright

They replicated the feeling of the sa-x perfectly

Samus controls beautifully, but I don’t like the new wall jump. Having to hold in the direction of the wall to jump off feels weird and I keep fucking it up. It’s already killed me once in the first real emmi zone

I've been playing Dread all day since I got lucky and my copy came in the mail earlier. Took a break for the last two hours, but I'm about to hop back in! Man the game is just incredible and feels so smooth to play. The new dash and vastly improved melee counter make Samus feel very powerful. I think I'm 2/3 through the game if I had to guess. Once I beat it I'm going to enjoy going back for 100% items.

So this is one of the most "AAA" feeling Nintendo games I can remember in recent memory. Like, it even has those move previews on the abilities and equipment screen that Horizon popularized and then every single game under the sun included in their games (with good reason, it's clearly a win as far as UX paradigms go). I'm really taken aback by how high end it feels for sure.

Only about 40 minutes or so in. This is a real stressful ass game, let me tell you.

Getting my butt kicked by the white e.m.m.i. repeatedly. I'm thinking I have to
meet the damn thing and then counter while pinned down.

Can anyone tell me if I"m going about this correctly, or if it's some other strategy?

Edit: I got it. I can't believe I didn't realize that it showed me exactly how to do it right beforehand.

Last edited:
Getting my butt kicked by the white e.m.m.i. repeatedly. I'm thinking I have to
meet the damn thing and then counter while pinned down.

Can anyone tell me if I"m going about this correctly, or if it's some other strategy
You want to avoid EMMI's until you take out the nearby boss. You'll get a temporary weapon to fight them off. Just find a good hallway so you have enough room. If an EMMI jumps on you you're in trouble. I've only countered them twice out of twenty or so times.

I died to the tutorial Emmi.

So did I but because I'm an idiot who thought I was supposed to shoot the door lol.

Played just over an hour. I had a blast all the way and I was impressed at how quickly time went by. This is the fastest moving Metroidvania I think I ever played and that makes the EMMI chase sequences even more exhilarating since you have to make very quick decisions. They absolutely LUNGE at you. Overall, thus far this is exactly what I was hoping for!

Wow! I managed to be able to snag the Special Edition of Metroid Dread last minute off Best Buy thanks to Wario64. Guess I'll have to return the copy being shipped to me when it arrives.

METROID

Dread starts beautifully, as a lot of people have said. Samus feels super tight to control. Game feels pretty faced past and linear in the beginning but I was expecting that from previews. Still feels like Metroid though with the amount of potential paths its teasing.

Samus controls beautifully, but I don’t like the new wall jump. Having to hold in the direction of the wall to jump off feels weird and I keep fucking it up. It’s already killed me once in the first real emmi zone
Yeah it's going to take me a while to get used to as well

At this point, I'm just worried my SE is going to arrive banged up and damaged. Seen some pictures of them in which that's the case. Do not fail me on this one, GameStop. It's all on you guys to pack your stuff properly.

I don't understand why some people try to put these games against each other. All those games are great and should be cherished and not used to put down one or the other. They each have their own strengths in what they excel in.

Edit: Also this is not pointed towards you lol

Don’t know what everyone else expected. But I’m surprised at how well the EMMI are woven into the level design.

I knew they were in specific zones, but I thought it was more a “you enter the zone and traverse it until you beat them” kinda thing. Instead, the zone is interconnected to the rest of the map and you’re constantly weaving in and out of it. It gives a constant little loop of tension and relief, avoiding feeling too safe to where it feels like they are in disconnected pockets, while also avoiding too much annoyance of them having access to the entire map and getting in the way of exploration.

Don’t know what everyone else expected. But I’m surprised at how well the EMMI are woven into the level design.

I knew they were in specific zones, but I thought it was more a “you enter the zone and traverse it until you beat them” kinda thing. Instead, the zone is interconnected to the rest of the map and you’re constantly weaving in and out of it. It gives a constant little loop of tension and relief, avoiding feeling too safe to where it feels like they are in disconnected pockets, while also avoiding too much annoyance of them having access to the entire map and getting in the way of exploration.

This surprised me too. I thought they were their own little confined zones. I'm in cataris now & I'm going in & out every couple of rooms. It's so well done

One thing I want to note is the combat difficulty.

Now, this shouldn't surprise me - Samus Returns is arguably the hardest game in the series (which is saying something given that Fusion exists, and stacks the deck against you), and reviews have noted how freakishly difficult Dread is multiple times. However, even accounting for that, I'm surprised at how many times I am dying. And I'm not talking about dying to the EMMIs, that's a bit of trial and error driven learning curve that I understand and account for. But even the bosses

such as Corpius

appear to me to be significantly harder than equivalent early bosses in Zero Mission/Samus Returns/Super/Fusion.

Feel like I'm about halfway through. Game is absolutely terrific.

They learned so much from the negative aspects of Samus Returns, and corrected almost all of them. The counter move no longer commands all your focus, the backgrounds are exquisite, the map is dense and detailed, the "invisible hand" is absolutely present without any blatant signposting. Most surprising of all, the EMMI sections really work - that was the part I was most worried about. Only negatiive is the milquetoast soundtrack - super disappointing given the Metroid heritage.

I've been pretty unhappy with a lot of Nintendo's output recently, so to finally get a legit GotY contender out of them in one of my favourite game series... it feels good. Damn good.

Also, it really feels like a Metroid Fusion sequel in so many ways, which is great. Really leans into that, rather than just nodding to it and being a standalone entry.

Feel like I'm about halfway through. Game is absolutely terrific.

They learned so much from the negative aspects of Samus Returns, and corrected almost all of them. The counter move no longer commands all your focus, the backgrounds are exquisite, the map is dense and detailed, the "invisible hand" is absolutely present without any blatant signposting. Most surprising of all, the EMMI sections really work - that was the part I was most worried about. Only negatiive is the milquetoast soundtrack - super disappointing given the Metroid heritage.

I've been pretty unhappy with a lot of Nintendo's output recently, so to finally get a legit GotY contender out of them in one of my favourite game series... it feels good. Damn good.

Also, it really feels like a Metroid Fusion sequel in so many ways, which is great. Really leans into that, rather than just nodding to it and being a standalone entry.
Yeah you can absolutely feel fusion’s DNA in this
right down to the disappointing OST for series standards lol

But seriously, it’s Super structure with Fusion’s atmosphere.

I really think a more horror aspect is Sakamoto’s vision for Metroid ever since Fusion. Even Other M leaned more into space horror than the more isolated, moody nature of Super and especially the Primes. I prefer the latter but I definitely have no problems with this direction either.
Going back to the OST, it’s pretty evident there. Fusion, Other M and Dread all have more ambient, dissonant and uneasy musical pieces, a contrast to the moody, melodic and atmospheric pieces found in lots of super and the prime games.

I’m having trouble wording it but yeah.

Just secured a copy of the special edition at Best Buy. Gotta wake up early to go pick it up in the morning

Back
Top Bottom