• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

Just wanted to say thanks for the tips and comments! It was really bugging me not to get through that part before calling it a night so I tried again...

Sometimes all it takes is a brief break and a quick mini-vent on fami lol...I was able to do it now!! ^^
It's one of the things I like about this game, the difficulty doesn't feel annoying/poorly designed, it's just a matter of patience and learning.
I wish more games were as smartly designed like that.

I realized quite dumbly that you can run and charge the storm missiles in this second session whoops :D

Also, I'd just like to say I appreciate the careful use of spoiler tags in this thread. I'm taking it quite slow and I'm super glad I haven't been spoiled on any upcoming things that I want to experience first-hand. :)
Hey in the event you encounter the again or do a subsequent playthrough..

You can cheese them in the event you encounter them again.. if you sit on one of the platforms pushed against the wall one of the robo chozo dudes will sit on the platform above and shoot and the other will stand next to you and melee.. Just juke the big red melee attacks from the one standing next to you and wait for it to do the parry-able one while fitting some missile shots in between.

Sounds more complicated than it is but it should make sense if you give it a shot. I found it to be much more of a consistent way of dealing with those things than trying to zip around and dodge all of their stuff.

I drew you a picture of the spot I'm talking about lol.

aUEkEIy.jpg

I did it! My game didn't crash this time and I was able to get past the laser door

I can beat the final boss without dying consistently now. Lol

Okay, somebody help me figure out how to get through the "grid" part of the cross bomb boss battle because I cannot see any way to dodge that.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm dumb. Just jump to the other side of the boss. Duh.

Final boss wasn’t near as hard as I was expecting. He’s got nothin on Samus Returns’ final boss

Clear time 8:11:20 32% items

Now for the item cleanup and then hard mode!

Last edited:
Hitting him with missiles does damage every time, unless his aura is gold.

EDIT: Oh god I just realized,
the aura color probably indicates which weapon you should use! I was never able to damage him when gold but maybe a power bomb could do that??
Had the same idea but it didn't seem to work when I tried it

Final boss wasn’t near as hard as I was expecting. He’s got nothin on Samus Returns’ final boss
I didn't find the final to be as hard as even some of the other bosses in Dread tbh. The patterns were extremely predictable and once you understand that you basically can't do damage until Phase 2 and it just becomes a game of juking it just became more about raw execution and getting through the phases with as much HP as I could.

Honestly the first robo chozo took me way more tries.

The first robot chozo warrior fight was the hardest fight in the game.

Finally beat the final boss today and I can beat him every time without dying now.

I didn't find the final to be as hard as even some of the other bosses in Dread tbh. The patterns were extremely predictable and once you understand that you basically can't do damage until Phase 2 and it just becomes a game of juking it just became more about raw execution and getting through the phases with as much HP as I could.

Honestly the first robo chozo took me way more tries.
And if you time the counters well, you can get to the second phase pretty damn fast

I read some complaints about the music but I'm really loving it. Some areas have amazingly catchy music. There are some that are more like background music to elevate a sense of urgency I guess but generally I'm loving the music right now.

Final boss isn't that hard, I agree. I only had issues with him sprouting wings. That phase gave me some trouble.

But it's such a badass fight.

Finally beat the final boss today and I can beat him every time without dying now
Everybody seems to be having trouble with the spoilered boss, but I beat them first try with most of my health. Honestly the easiest boss in the game for me.

Finally beat the final boss today and I can beat him every time without dying now.
The Duo Chozo robot fight was the hardest for me but yeah I also found the final boss to be easier than I was expecting

First try didn't go so well. Mostly because I'm re-learning (from yesterday) how to fight him.

Second try got mid-way to phase 3, so I think I can do it.
You got this. I want to go the whole thing without taking damage.

Hooray! Did it.

EDIT: Damn, I got 4:40. I wasn't really trying to get sub-4 but I was trying to finish relatively quickly.

Last edited:
Woo, just beat the game, went for 100%. That final boss was great, very tough. It was all a lot to take in.
I'd be very interested to see what speedrunners make of this game, particularly the low percentage runs, if it's possible to get to the final boss in the first suit and the level of skill needed to survive that.
I'm already thinking of doing another run to familiarize myself more with the routes. I wasted a lot of time on impossible items that required certain abilities.

The replay value of this game is so great, I've started my third run. Can not get enough of it.

I’m so slow! Whenever I get a new upgrade, I run around randomly trying to unlock stuff.

So far, my boss strategy is to die repeatedly in each phase until I figure out the pattern. That normally means that I end up finishing the fight at low health as I haven’t quite figured out the last phase. Hahahaha!

im stuck at the
two robo chozo room
granted i havent really been able to set aside time to grind at it but its making me sad!

im also very tempted to ask how close i am to the end, cause the difficulty is ramping up. seems like a new boss in every room

The worst test of a no damage run wouldn't even be the bosses, it would be those damn fire shooting volcano slug-things in Cataris
Yeah mostly environmental stuff. Also those tiny bugs/flies/fish that are barely visible sometimes.
im stuck at the
two robo chozo room
granted i havent really been able to set aside time to grind at it but its making me sad!

im also very tempted to ask how close i am to the end, cause the difficulty is ramping up. seems like a new boss in every room
The advice on that I've given about 5 times so far (clearly it wasn't tutorialized well) is that you can charge your storm missiles while moving and jumping around.

Update on my Low% Hard run: still at 0%, just defeated the 2nd boss. I enjoy the suspense of this challenge, basically everything ohko’s me. I’ve died so much!

Yeah mostly environmental stuff. Also those tiny bugs/flies/fish that are barely visible sometimes.

The advice on that I've given about 5 times so far (clearly it wasn't tutorialized well) is that you can charge your storm missiles while moving and jumping around.
thanks! i did figure it out, but the first time i tried i hadn't replenished my missiles, and sorta dropped it after that, but it sounds like thats the strat

Two items left to 100%. Taking a rest for today, one of these may be the hardest to get in the entirety of the game.

Holy shit this game is not messing around. Spent the evening yesterday banging my head against Escue and today I beat it first try. Then I beat the two Chozo Now I’m all spent and hoping for a nice relaxing journey towards the end of the game. I must say that this is the most difficult Metroid game in my opinion. It’s great though!

Gonna binge this soon. I was skimming and already saw some sick tricks.

Woah at some of those skips!! I can't wait to see where the WR is going to end up in a few months. Dread joins Odyssey and BOTW as an instant speedruning classic from this gen

Okay just finished the game at 100% Items and holy fucking shit that ending.
THE
FUCK

Yep I noticed they funnel very well your path. If you found a transport/teleport, unless you missed something in the current area, you probably just need to use it. And I noticed some kinds of blocks/doors are not exactly widespread, so it's kinda clear where to go next after getting a new ability

This way of doing things plus QoL stuff like highlighting a block or door type made me really love the pacing. I got absolutely stuck on Super Metroid a few times, maybe because I missed some block or something and then started backtracking on the whole map cluelessly, while in this one it felt like always something new was happening, and there always was a place I suspected I needed to check out

Anyway great game and a clear improvement over Samus Returns gameplay
Never got lost in Super, cause it shows you around enough and only at the middle point let's you go and wander off. Also it doesn't have these many locks like Dread to finde the path forward. I like the pace and the progression made by the devs, but I got lost in Dread by trying to backtrack, which is not what I really want from a Metroid tbh. It is too linear for me

Last edited:
Hooray! Did it.

EDIT: Damn, I got 4:40. I wasn't really trying to get sub-4 but I was trying to finish relatively quickly.
Yeah - doing a beeline along the critical path without any skips, only getting optional upgrades along the way (and ignoring slow ones like underwater stuff)
got me 3:41. I imagine stopping to gather items or forgetting where to go even a few times will put you over if you don't learn any sequence breaks. Going for it was great fun though.

A side note - I have no idea if cutscenes and waiting for map/save stations run up the timer.

Walked into the final boss fight, quickly decided I was not ready for this, and am now doing item clean up. Some of these shine spark puzzles are breaking my brain.

Biggest complaint is that the starting blue/white suit looks so good but you get Varia so quickly and ruin it with the orange and use that for the bulk of the game.

I haven’t got the gravity suit yet but I feel very far in so it must be very soon, so I hope that redeems the look.

finally beat them on my lunch break! woohoo!

my problem is always trying to rush encounters. so much easier when i just take my time and avoid damage.

Walked into the final boss fight, quickly decided I was not ready for this, and am now doing item clean up. Some of these shine spark puzzles are breaking my brain.
this is going to be my strategy i think, since i've been blowing through the game and have done little elected exploration

this is going to be my strategy i think, since i've been blowing through the game and have done little elected exploration
I ended up giving up on the puzzles and just went for the boss. Watching the credits now.

Good good good game!

Back
Top Bottom