• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

Biggest complaint is that the starting blue/white suit looks so good but you get Varia so quickly and ruin it with the orange and use that for the bulk of the game.

I haven’t got the gravity suit yet but I feel very far in so it must be very soon, so I hope that redeems the look.
I loved the first suit and kinda wish we could switch upgrades on and off like in Super, but the golden orange of the Varia suit still looks very nice to me. The gravity suit didn’t disappoint either.

I loved the first suit and kinda wish we could switch upgrades on and off like in Super, but the golden orange of the Varia suit still looks very nice to me. The gravity suit didn’t disappoint either.
It still looks nice. It’s just the blue/white was a breath of fresh air. A cool new look like Link’s blue tunic in BotW. It’s like if BotW gave you the classic getup again a couple hours in.

It still looks nice. It’s just the blue/white was a breath of fresh air. A cool new look like Link’s blue tunic in BotW. It’s like if BotW gave you the classic getup again a couple hours in.
Honestly I'd agree with this, but I do love all the suit designs in this game so it didn't bother me too much.

I preferred the Varia... but I also preferred the classic Link look.

I don't think Samus needed the shakeup as much since every game has upgrades that change the suit design anyway; she's never been orange/yellow all game long.

how do ya'll feel about the length of the game? 8-12 hours is pretty short by today's standards.

I personally love it but i know i'm in the minority. like, Uncharted 2 length is my standard.
I think it's a good length, particularly since I can see myself playing it several times.

Oh yeah, I finished this. I actually found the final boss absurdly easy lol, because I had beefed up and had ten energy tanks, which gave me a huge margin of error. So that, plus the fact that
he drops health pickups in 3/4 stages
meant I was never really in any danger.

Final escape sequence was cool. Confused about Silent Robe-X helping Samus, but I assume being absorbed by her was the only way it saw of surviving?

Great game overall. In terms of pure design, I would say Super is still better. Dread is superior as an overall package. To be fair, in most ways, I would say Dread is outright superior to Super - combat, bosses, storytelling, controls, movement. But: Super is better in some very crucial areas. So I end up giving both games the shared podium.

how do ya'll feel about the length of the game? 8-12 hours is pretty short by today's standards.

I personally love it but i know i'm in the minority. like, Uncharted 2 length is my standard.
Perfect length for a Metroidvania. Any longer, and it would start to drag (we saw this with SR).

Here’s kind of a fun stream of one of the top Super Metroid runners Oatsngoats doing a route on the fly learning session kind of thing. Pretty neat and he’s an entertaining dude. If you’ve watched super at a GDQ you’ve probably seen oats.

Obviously full spoilers.

Loved it. It's all killer no filler

They could have mayybeee squeezed in another hour but I'm perfectly happy with the length as it is

Not being able to check my current time without exiting the game is kinda annoying considering I'm intentionally trying to avoid saving as much as I can to save precious seconds.

After trudging for 8 hours I finally have the
gravity suit.

And. It. Feels. So. Good.

I don’t want to stop playing tonight. But I have responsibilities. How long do I have before I can just start cleaning up items with all equipment?

Ok Nintendo, there was some tough fights in this game but
the double Chozo battle on Ferenia is just straight up evil

Beat the game last night. 100% item collection.

2021101223143600-9A9B6E0371D34263D6B6577F9CBA54D5.jpg

Absolutely my GotY. Loved pretty much everything about the game, even the stupid hard speed booster puzzles.

gravity suit.

I don’t want to stop playing tonight. But I have responsibilities. How long do I have before I can just start cleaning up items with all equipment?
If you go super linear and know where you're going probably only another hour or even half hour, depending on how your fare on the upcoming boss.

You've got I think 3 more upgrades to go, but you only need the next one to get like 90%-95% of all of the items left.

gravity suit.

You can start doing it now, but a couple other power ups will make it even easier, so I advise waiting (I personally waited till right before the last boss)

Not being able to check my current time without exiting the game is kinda annoying considering I'm intentionally trying to avoid saving as much as I can to save precious seconds.
If you're at that level of gotta go fast you're probably doing fine.

If you go super linear and know where you're going probably only another hour or even half hour, depending on how your fare on the upcoming boss.

You've got I think 3 more upgrades to go, but you only need the next one to get like 90%-95% of all of the items left.

You can start doing it now, but a couple other power ups will make it even easier, so I advise waiting (I personally waited till right before the last boss)
Thank you!

I think I’m gonna call it a night. Just got to that boss and phewwwww. Dying in two or three hits ain’t for me when it’s almost midnight. 😅

Thank you!

I think I’m gonna call it a night. Just got to that boss and phewwwww. Dying in two or three hits ain’t for me when it’s almost midnight. 😅
Haha. Remember, Flash Shift is your friend, abusing that will help you with whatever boss you're stuck at almost without exception

Soooo. I decided to give him a go. And made it to his big
two arm swipe
phase. No matter what I do I can’t avoid that one.
Phase to the middle of the screen. Stay on the ground when he lifts his arms. When the wind up starts, jump up and stay airborne in the middle. The arms will come from both sides and cover the bottom half of the screen entirely.

Phase to the middle of the screen. Stay on the ground when he lifts his arms. When the wind up starts, jump up and stay airborne in the middle. The arms will come from both sides and cover the bottom half of the screen entirely.
I made it to his final phase with full health, but I just struggle to master
that space jump between all the pink against the wind.
That’s consistently tripping me up.

I made it to his final phase with full health, but I just struggle to master
that space jump between all the pink against the wind.
That’s consistently tripping me up.
Yeah I fucking hate that part. So there’s no trick to this whatsoever. The only thing to remember is that the pattern will ALWAYS be the same. It never varies. If you can memorize it you’ll be able to react preemptively.

Not sure what your skill level with shinesparking is. If it’s not too good, I recommend just memorizing the pattern.

Yeah I fucking hate that part. So there’s no trick to this whatsoever. The only thing to remember is that the pattern will ALWAYS be the same. It never varies. If you can memorize it you’ll be able to react preemptively.

Not sure what your skill level with shinesparking is. If it’s not too good, I recommend just memorizing the pattern.

Wait. I don’t think I’ve found that item yet. Or I have it and never learned to use it.

Wait. I don’t think I’ve found that item yet. Or I have it and never learned to use it.
Shinesparking? It’s just using the speed boost. Charge the speed boost and when it activates, crouch. Then you can launch yourself in any direction by jumping into it, and your stored momentum from the speed boost propels you like a projectile.

It’s inessential unless you want all the items, and while it’s my favorite move to execute in the game, save learning it for when you’re done with this boss lol. For now I recommend just memorizing the pattern and dodging the bullet hell spam that way.

Shinesparking? It’s just using the speed boost. Charge the speed boost and when it activates, crouch. Then you can launch yourself in any direction by jumping into it, and your stored momentum from the speed boost propels you like a projectile.

It’s inessential unless you want all the items, and while it’s my favorite move to execute in the game, save learning it for when you’re done with this boss lol. For now I recommend just memorizing the pattern and dodging the bullet hell spam that way.
Ah. Yeah. Not good at this one. I’ve only pulled it off a few times when it was needed to progress, but don’t understand the mechanic well enough to solve the puzzles I see, not even sure I can do some of the puzzles I’ve seen yet.

Ah. Yeah. Not good at this one. I’ve only pulled it off a few times when it was needed to progress, but don’t understand the mechanic well enough to solve the puzzles I see, not even sure I can do some of the puzzles I’ve seen yet.
It’s really fun but even as someone who spammed it in Super every chance I got I can tell you the shinesparking puzzles in this game are evil lol. So don’t worry too much about that.

It’s really fun but even as someone who spammed it in Super every chance I got I can tell you the shinesparking puzzles in this game are evil lol. So don’t worry too much about that.
Should I be using the
storm missies or just my regular ones. Noticed in your video that he isn’t using the storm.

I feel like that might be my mistake. Other than that specific phase where I clearly calls for it, I think I’m wasting time with a weapon that does less damage.

Should I be using the
storm missies or just my regular ones. Noticed in your video that he isn’t using the storm.

I feel like that might be my mistake. Other than that specific phase where I clearly calls for it, I think I’m wasting time with a weapon that does less damage.
I used Storm. A LOT more damage dished out

Just finished Dread completely with about 3 hours and 14 minutes for hard mode. That was a wonderful experience and probably at the top of my favorite Metroid games. It's super impressive how MS made a critical path without needing to tell you where to go. The boss design was top notch, and I really appreciate how MS designs the fights around multiple abilities. I really look forward to what Sakamoto does next with the series, hopefully with MS.

Ok I have hit a point where I can't progress anywhere. I've starred at the map for probably an hour. Help me Fami!

I defeated the Chozo double boss on Ferenia. My most recent power ups are Space Jump and Pulse Radar.

So at this point I have gone to all of the areas that I can in Ferenia. I can't go into the cold areas because I don't have the latest suit (still stuck on the Varia suit). I don't have super bomb so I can't just bomb everything like I usually do when stuck. I can go into a section back on Ghavoran but I am trapped from going through most of it or anything else.

What am I obviously missing?

The Metroid Dread soundtrack has gotten a fair bit of flak of focusing more on being atmospheric than being melodic, and for the most part, yeah, I agree the soundtrack doesn't really stand out much. There is however one track from this game that I ADORE-the music from my favorite area of the game, Burenia.

Not only does this track actually have a melody to it, I think it perfectly captures the dread and trepidation of descending to the sea floor. A genuinely well done track!

Ok I have hit a point where I can't progress anywhere. I've starred at the map for probably an hour. Help me Fami!

I defeated the Chozo double boss on Ferenia. My most recent power ups are Space Jump and Pulse Radar.

So at this point I have gone to all of the areas that I can in Ferenia. I can't go into the cold areas because I don't have the latest suit (still stuck on the Varia suit). I don't have super bomb so I can't just bomb everything like I usually do when stuck. I can go into a section back on Ghavoran but I am trapped from going through most of it or anything else.

What am I obviously missing?
Take the green teleport from Ferenia to Burenia

@Kevin360 i'm on the same boss as you. that also had me put the game down for the night.

i just can not time that parry and it screws me everytime

Do we forgive Sakamoto yet?

I'm obviously being facetious here lol, but the poor man got such a hard time of it from the Metroid fanbase which I always felt was undeserved. Other M was gutter trash, sure, but even if it was, that didn't erase what he accomplished with Metroid 1-4. But even if you want to say it did, alright, does Dread redeem him again?

I needed to space jump in the water to get to the green transport. Thank you so much!

On that good note I am crashing for the night. Closing in on midnight now lol
Yeah lol, this really annoyed me too (I think I posted about it earlier in the thread actually). But the eureka moment when I figured it out was great.

Good luck continuing this on tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom