• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

Yeah I've been using the storm missiles at every chance but the charge time makes it so they get on me pretty fast....I'll keep trying to stay as far away as possible though until my storm missiles take down one of them and then go in on the second!

Hopefully that strat sees some success tomorrow lol :')
The big thing about the storm missiles is that you can charge them while moving while holding R, and Samus will lock onto an enemy just by facing them rather than having to aim at them

Just hold down R while running and you'll build your charge up

Good luck! You'll get 'em

Man I am flying through hard mode. It's so easy to just breeze through when you know what you're up against.
Yeah I've been using the storm missiles at every chance but the charge time makes it so they get on me pretty fast....I'll keep trying to stay as far away as possible though until my storm missiles take down one of them and then go in on the second!

Hopefully that strat sees some success tomorrow lol :')
You can charge them while moving. Learning this was a game changer for me in that fight.

Basically my reaction to getting the Plasma Beam, followed immediately by the X being set loose into the wild.
the-fuck-laugh.gif
Gonna call it there for tonight. Shit is really starting to ramp up on ZDR.

I have now completed everything in the entire game except for the final boss.

Every E.M.M.I., every item. Each region is complete at 100%.

I don't have any more excuses... time for Big Bird.

Quoted by: GJ
I have now completed everything in the entire game except for the final boss.

Every E.M.M.I., every item. Each region is complete at 100%.

I don't have any more excuses... time for Big Bird.

Same here. I’m in the house of the final boss at 100% completion but I haven’t booted it up since Sunday night. I don’t want it to end 😭.

The big thing about the storm missiles is that you can charge them while moving while holding R, and Samus will lock onto an enemy just by facing them rather than having to aim at them

Just hold down R while running and you'll build your charge up

Good luck! You'll get 'em
Man I am flying through hard mode. It's so easy to just breeze through when you know what you're up against.

You can charge them while moving. Learning this was a game changer for me in that fight.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tips and comments! It was really bugging me not to get through that part before calling it a night so I tried again...

Sometimes all it takes is a brief break and a quick mini-vent on fami lol...I was able to do it now!! ^^
It's one of the things I like about this game, the difficulty doesn't feel annoying/poorly designed, it's just a matter of patience and learning.
I wish more games were as smartly designed like that.

I realized quite dumbly that you can run and charge the storm missiles in this second session whoops :D

Also, I'd just like to say I appreciate the careful use of spoiler tags in this thread. I'm taking it quite slow and I'm super glad I haven't been spoiled on any upcoming things that I want to experience first-hand. :)

Anyone else slightly disappointed by the last EMMI? I was kind of expecting it to be the hardest of them all and then it just went out like that, although I'm not sure how far they could have taken its concept.

I accidentally triggered the final boss fight. I died pretty quickly (barely 15 seconds lol), but I wasn't even trying tbh, I intend on bulking up on health before I come back for this. With that said, I did want to discuss the story revelations

They really go all Star Wars on us, don't they lol.

As for the ADAM twist, am I understanding right that the ADAM in Fusion wasn't Raven Beak, and that this "hacked" ADAM happened after Samus crash landed?

I accidentally triggered the final boss fight. I died pretty quickly (barely 15 seconds lol), but I wasn't even trying tbh, I intend on bulking up on health before I come back for this. With that said, I did want to discuss the story revelations

They really go all Star Wars on us, don't they lol.

As for the ADAM twist, am I understanding right that the ADAM in Fusion wasn't Raven Beak, and that this "hacked" ADAM happened after Samus crash landed?
You’re correct

Awesome, for a second I was worried it was the other way around, which would be so dumb and

A pointless and stupid retcon lol
the clue is that Adam calls Samus “lady” when she’s flying there in the intro, and then never again once she lands. Also, it’s really funny when you go back and read because “Adam” constantly tells Samus she’s not strong enough to beat Raven Beak, so he’s basically hyping himself up lmao

the clue is that Adam calls Samus “lady” when she’s flying there in the intro, and then never again once she lands. Also, it’s really funny when you go back and read because “Adam” constantly tells Samus she’s not strong enough to beat Raven Beak, so he’s basically hyping himself up lmao
Oh I hadn’t realized that, that’s a cool subtle detail

Also yeah lol, some strong Obama giving himself a medal meme vibes there 😂

Just beat Dread.

The Good: everything

The Bad: the game ends

Score: 0/10. Next time make it not end, Nintendo.

Calling it a night. I’ve cleared two areas with 100% and all but the last area are at 90+%.
Items: 88%
Playtime: 12:45:03
Final Boss: Accidentally Encountered

I can’t wait to come back here and read all of the spoilers!

My game is broken

Twice now the game has crashed the moment I use the giant laser beam to open the door after the boss fight

Each time I have to start back at the save before the boss fight

I am tired

After two playthroughs (normal 100%, hard 55%), I am just saying it: this is the best game I've played since Bloodborne and Breath of the Wild. What a masterpiece.

Also, that final boss might just be one of the best boss fights in gaming, hands down. It is challenging, but once you learn the patterns and how to deal with the moves it becomes so damn satisfying.

Yeah, doing a sub-4 hour run was easier than I expected - especially since it was just my second playthrough and first hard mode run. I did restart from checkpoints a few times when I was worried about wasting a minute or two, but I ended up with over 15 minutes to spare so I don't think that was even necessary.

It's also incredible how you don't really need to memorize the critical path to do it quickly. MercurySteam did an amazing job leaving breadcrumbs just about every time you get a new power; Dread might be the best in the series at this.

I accidentally triggered the final boss fight.
Final Boss: Accidentally Encountered
I have no idea how either of you didn't realize what that elevator meant lmao

My game is broken

Twice now the game has crashed the moment I use the giant laser beam to open the door after the boss fight

Each time I have to start back at the save before the boss fight

I am tired
Are you playing digitally?

I'm so glad that Dread is becoming such a big deal.

I'll be honest, I didn't see the game become this huge, or this good. When rumors began to spread about a new 2D Metroid in the works, I kinda envisioned "Samus Returns but an original game", a cool entry, low 80's on MC but not standout material.

Instead we got this super sleek, highly polished miracle that rivals the best games in the series. Wow.

Not counting things that could arguably be called minibosses:

Several of the minibosses are still significant challenges though.
Yea I’ve died to the mini bosses more than the regular bosses, I was just trying to get an idea how far I am, I’ve apparently only killed 3 main bosses and my playtime is 9 hrs

Not counting things that could arguably be called minibosses:

Several of the minibosses are still significant challenges though.
Hmmm I'm having trouble thinking of that many, especially if we're not sure what makes someone a boss or miniboss.

Corpius
Kraid
Drogyga
X experiment whose name I forget
Big bird

What else are we considering to be bosses?

Hmmm I'm having trouble thinking of that many, especially if we're not sure what makes someone a boss or miniboss.

Corpius
Kraid
Drogyga
Big bird

I consider it main boss if you only fight it once, mini bosses are fought multiple times, how many bosses are there that you fight once

Corpius
Kraid
Drogyga
Big bird

Escue, the Electric bat thing that gets you the storm missile and Golzuna, the giant crab thing that has the cross bomb power and is a big Core X after beating.

Escue, the Electric bat thing that gets you the storm missile and Golzuna, the giant crab thing that has the cross bomb power and is a big Core X after beating.
God I completely forgot about the former. Had to look him up.

My memory sucks.

So I've finished most of the item roundup and am at 100% in all areas except Dairon.

Some of those Shinespark puzzles though... Mamma mia.

I haven't played a 2D Metroid in yeeeeeeeears. Without a map of the area, I wasn't sure if there was still more to explore there.

Man, the swinging grapple parts are not easy at all with analog controls. They should've made the aim snap towards those grapple points a bit, that would've immensely helped avoid some major frustration.

Anyone having input delay for counter attach in dock mode? It's like the button press doesn't register and will get hit by enemies. The same press timing works in handheld mode.

so I had been told that
the teleports all connect at the end and I figured I needed to go into a network room to get that to happen,
I was trying to do that and, well, lol

What's with all the framedrops in the
Chozo Warrior battle after you vampire suck the Red EMMI?
It's quite noticeable.

Trey closing the game and restarting. Seems to be a memory issue. I had to do it on one occasion.

Yeah, doing a sub-4 hour run was easier than I expected - especially since it was just my second playthrough and first hard mode run. I did restart from checkpoints a few times when I was worried about wasting a minute or two, but I ended up with over 15 minutes to spare so I don't think that was even necessary.

It's also incredible how you don't really need to memorize the critical path to do it quickly. MercurySteam did an amazing job leaving breadcrumbs just about every time you get a new power; Dread might be the best in the series at this.

Are you playing digitally?
Physical cartridge, no markers on the map, 100% completion

So many badass moments in this game, just through gameplay. My SD card is gonna be full of Metroid Dread clips in like a week.

Just had my first encounter with the final boss, died very quickly, not even sure if I was doing damage.

It’s gonna be like that huh?

Hard mode is really not hard at all, it's more like easy mode since you kinda know every enemy and boss patterns.
Just had my first encounter with the final boss, died very quickly, not even sure if I was doing damage.

It’s gonna be like that huh?
It be like that.

So I've finished most of the item roundup and am at 100% in all areas except Dairon.

Some of those Shinespark puzzles though... Mamma mia.
I had the same feelings with the shine spark puzzles initially. Was discouraged and overwhelmed. But I kept at it, and in retrospect I consider them some of the best parts of the game! :)

So many badass moments in this game, just through gameplay. My SD card is gonna be full of Metroid Dread clips in like a week.
I was so proud of myself for doing all the shinespark puzzles that I clipped all of them.

Encountering the final boss for the first time is like, “ugh I don’t even understand what’s happening.” Then 30 minutes later I was like

future-is-now-old-man-future.gif

his shield changing colors means I’m actually doing something, right?
Hitting him with missiles does damage every time, unless his aura is gold.

EDIT: Oh god I just realized,
the aura color probably indicates which weapon you should use! I was never able to damage him when gold but maybe a power bomb could do that??

Ok I made it to stage 2. Progress!

Edit: it might actually be stage 3

I guess the gold aura would be stage 2, Sephiroth mode is stage 3

Man, the experiment boss took me about 20 tries and over an hour in my first run.

In hard mode, beat him on my second try. Took 5 minutes.

ok, I made it past the wings stage then I died pretty quickly. I think I’m starting to get this down pretty well

Back
Top Bottom