• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

Corpius done on hard mode. Took one try, I forgot how easy the early bosses were!

My major question is:

Why absorbing that X managed to remove/deactivate her new Metroid powers. Metroids eat X's, not the other way around.
The Thoha dna that the x absorbed from Quiet Robe

The Thoha dna that the x absorbed from Quiet Robe
Ahhhhh right. Man, that wraps it up nicely.

Though I still really dislike the trope where you beat the boss only for the boss to just almost kill you anyway until your DNA somehow Deus Exes you to safety

I'm regularly having to put down the controller for the night when I fight a new boss. Come back when I'm less tense. Kraid was the worst of this. Corpious was a little less frustrating. Really difficult, but fair is one way to put it.

Corpius done on hard mode. Took one try, I forgot how easy the early bosses were!

My major question is:

Why absorbing that X managed to remove/deactivate her new Metroid powers. Metroids eat X's, not the other way around.
The X was full of Thoha DNA. that's probably relevant.

And that's a wrap for this beautiful, spectacular game. 10 hours 3 minutes, 40% items found. 9/10 from me. GOTY.

Metroid Samus OP as fuck

The X was full of Thoha DNA. that's probably relevant.
Yeah, a couple people reminded me above. It's relevant because

Thohas were the only ones that could control Metroids, so the additional Thoha DNA was able to better control the Metroid DNA. It didn't purge it, it just suppressed it I guess.

Eek, the final boss is brutal in hard mode. I got phase one down. He can't even touch me unless I mess up.

I never really learned phase two though, and with limited e tanks it shows. It just keeps going forever and turns into a war of attrition I ultimately lose. Unless I miss something major that speeds up phase two in some manner, I've got some training to do.

I think my major problem is that I sooner or later keep messing up the space jumping in circles around him, and with everything doing more damage I just can't make it through the phase quickly enough.

Think I'll just leave it at that for the day.

Samus speaking Chozo is one of those things that makes perfect sense when you think about it, but never would have expected to happen in a game and is still just so cool to see them actually do it.

Just tried the (presumably) final boss for the first time and got steamrolled lmao. Gonna go pick up more upgrades, but man, that cutscene was CRAZY.

So Mercury Steam really went full Bioshock with this one, huh? I'm not going to try to fully wrap my head around the twist and mythology until I beat the game, and I don't want this answered yet so I guess it's more rhetorical, but I guess Samus' parents never died, and they were always Chozo?

Samus speaking Chozo is one of those things that makes perfect sense when you think about it, but never would have expected to happen in a game and is still just so cool to see them actually do it.
Personally my favourite cutscene in the game, I've rewateched it several times already.

What are the modifications of Hard mode? do the bosses have new patterns?

Personally my favourite cutscene in the game, I've rewateched it several times already.

What are the modifications of Hard mode? do the bosses have new patterns?
No. From what I can tell, the only change is that all enemies do additional damage. They don't even seem to have more HP.

Playtime via the game: 10:53:48.
Items: 62%.
All story power ups, complete.
Time to go item hunting before I confront the big bad.

Hear me out...

What if Nintendo developes a Metroid spin-off game based on Speed Booster/Shinespark puzzles?

I'm loving it. Up to 8 hours played, got the incredibly absolutely gorgeous looking Gravity suit and 53% of items. Going to take my time with it and aim to 100% it, but I already feel like this is my favourite Metroid. That says a lot given my conversion to the series was via Prime, having only played Metroid 2 a few years after its initial release before that. I came to every other 2D Metroid late via Virtual Console, apart from Samus Returns, so this is the first time I've played a new 2D Metroid when it was actually new. It's brilliant.

Every suit Samus has in this game is stunning and Smash Ultimate needs updating so her new design can go in. Oh, and

Meeting Quiet Robe and having the conversation in Chozo was fantastic. Loved the character design for the Chozo, too.

More broadly, what this game absolutely nails is the way things constantly shift in seemingly organic ways, whether it's routes and methods of progression, the frequency of major fights, or story events. The pacing is superb and it really is a step above other recent games in the genre in that regard as far as I'm concerned. It's a continual curve and there's continual challenge. I love it.

Just tried the (presumably) final boss for the first time and got steamrolled lmao. Gonna go pick up more upgrades, but man, that cutscene was CRAZY.

So Mercury Steam really went full Bioshock with this one, huh? I'm not going to try to fully wrap my head around the twist and mythology until I beat the game, and I don't want this answered yet so I guess it's more rhetorical, but I guess Samus' parents never died, and they were always Chozo?

It's established lore that Samus got injected or something with Chozo DNA after they started caring for her.

It's established lore that Samus got injected or something with Chozo DNA after they started caring for her.
Huh, would you happen to recall when or where that was established? I've played all the mainline games. That's pretty cool though.

So that element isn't the twist I thought it was?

Huh, would you happen to recall when or where that was established? I've played all the mainline games. That's pretty cool though.

So that element isn't the twist I thought it was?
Yeah. This is one of the things that is only ever really vaguely alluded to in game but elaborated on in old manga/comics. They really need to put out something that collects all the details of Samus' pre-Metroid 1 life in one place, because it's all still clearly being treated as canon (you can see at least one of the Chozo that actually raised Samus in the Dread flashback), because it's not something they've done a great job making available.

Okay. Been lost for a long while not and just backtracked to the first area after getting the
speedrun
ability last night.

I'm replaying it in hard mode and managed to do some sequence break moments.

First one getting the bombs early to beat Kraid with ONE SHOT (lol), and then de gravity suit

Right now i'm watching some videos of people sequence breaking the game without glitches and maaaaaaan, this is another level of sequence breaking in the entire saga, there are a ton of moments you can break the linear path of the game, even more than Super Metroid.

Hear me, this game is an instant classic, best Switch game along with BOTW, proove me wrong.

Anyone encountered bugs during your first Chozo Robot fight in Ferenia? Somehow the robot was stuck on the rightmost, upper platform and does not move from there. What's weirder is that after defeating the robot, the Purple EMMI in the next few rooms does not work anymore, and just stands there in the middle of the hall. Is it a glitch or an intended gameplay element?
Nvm, now I realized that Speed Booster allows Samus to rush against wind blows.

Last edited:
Anyone encountered bugs during your first Chozo Robot fight in Ferenia? Somehow the robot was stuck on the rightmost, upper platform and does not move from there. What's weirder is that after defeating the robot, the Purple EMMI in the next few rooms does not work anymore, and just stands there in the middle of the hall. Is it a glitch or an intended gameplay element?
The emmi thing is intended if you recall from just before that fight you mentioned Quiet Robe shut them off

Nvm, now I realized that Speed Booster allows Samus to rush against wind blows.
I'm pretty sure the latter thing is intentional, the former sounds like a bug.

And after being lost for what felt like two hours I finally found
grapple and apparently a direct path after to Ferenia

Kinda blown away that I’ve only defeated two bosses at this point.

Yeah. This is one of the things that is only ever really vaguely alluded to in game but elaborated on in old manga/comics. They really need to put out something that collects all the details of Samus' pre-Metroid 1 life in one place, because it's all still clearly being treated as canon (you can see at least one of the Chozo that actually raised Samus in the Dread flashback), because it's not something they've done a great job making available.
Got it, thanks!

So really, the only shocking part of the ending for someone who knows all the canonical Metroid lore is that
Raven Beak has been posing as Adam since their first encounter on ZDR, and his command has been Samus' will, where the actions he's driven her to perform throughout Dread like killing the bosses and absorbing their essence, have resulted in her fully transforming into a Metroid?

I still haven't beaten the final boss, but am I correct to assume that
Raven Beak also wanted the EMMIs destroyed from the beginning, since they're Galactic Federation machines? If so, why would he--when controlling the EMMIs--make them pursue Samus and kill her? It sounds like by the ending of the game, he's more interested in using Samus as a world-conquering machine than simply extracting her DNA via EMMI, so I guess I'm not following his train of thought there...

If any of this is answered or clarified after I beat the final boss, then I look forward to finding out those details then.

Got it, thanks!

So really, the only shocking part of the ending for someone who knows all the canonical Metroid lore is that
Raven Beak has been posing as Adam since their first encounter on ZDR, and his command has been Samus' will, where the actions he's driven her to perform throughout Dread like killing the bosses and absorbing their essence, have resulted in her fully transforming into a Metroid?

Raven Beak also wanted the EMMIs destroyed from the beginning, since they're Galactic Federation machines? If so, why would he--when controlling the EMMIs--make them pursue Samus and kill her? It sounds like by the ending of the game, he's more interested in using Samus as a world-conquering machine than simply extracting her DNA via EMMI, so I guess I'm not following his train of thought there...

If any of this is answered or clarified after I beat the final boss, then I look forward to finding out those details then.
Won't comment on the other things, but Raven Beak apparently being one of the genetic donors is a surprise.

Got it, thanks!

We discuss these questions and more in the spoiler thread:

You may wanna finish the game first though.

Playtime via the game: 13:53:29
Items: 100%

Second Metroid game I finished, and first in the genre I've done 100% (I mean, Hollow Knight maybe was more than 100% but it has really confusing percentages).

Really enjoyed my time playing, couldn't stop everytime I started it.

Got it, thanks!

Yes, the Chozo have always been around, they just are fragmented and not as big as they once were. Prime is what gives the impression that they’re an ancient civilization, but there are some still around in modern times. Samus was raised by them and we’ve known that for a while, since the manga I think.

I seem to legitimately be stuck and can't figure out what to do.

I'm at the bottom of Burenia underwater, and can only access like three rooms, a larger open one with a big squid, a hallway, and then part of a coral room that I need what I assume to be power bombs to blow open the bottom block. I don't have the gravity suit yet, so I can't go back the way I came. Really just seem to be stuck here.

I seem to legitimately be stuck and can't figure out what to do.

I'm at the bottom of Burenia underwater, and can only access like three rooms, a larger open one with a big squid, a hallway, and then part of a coral room that I need what I assume to be power bombs to blow open the bottom block. I don't have the gravity suit yet, so I can't go back the way I came. Really just seem to be stuck here.
If you are where I think you are, I think there is another hole to uncover right above the entrance to the coral room you talked about.

Yes, the Chozo have always been around, they just are fragmented and not as big as they once were. Prime is what gives the impression that they’re an ancient civilization, but there are some still around in modern times. Samus was raised by them and we’ve known that for a while, since the manga I think.
I know they raised her, I guess I just wasn't aware of the other implications.

Thanks for the clarification, everyone!

If you are where I think you are, I think there is another hole to uncover right above the entrance to the coral room you talked about.
Thanks! I didn't see the explody thing in the wall somehow.

Oh god getting the Gravity Suit in a Metroid game is one of the most liberating feelings in video games.

Finally got my copy in! I can’t wait to finally get started!

@bellydrum how are you liking it so far? as your first metroid (sorry if you already covered it elswhere)
I'm at the final boss. I think it's an incredible game and I've had a blast. Right now I'm going through each world and 100%ing them.

I'm at the final boss. I think it's an incredible game and I've had a blast. Right now I'm going through each world and 100%ing them.

End of game cleanup with all of your abilities is always so satisfying, especially when you finally get 100% in each area. Good luck with that boss, you'll need it!

Wish I had more time to sink into this game. Between work, three kids, spending time with my wife and trying to keep healthy I am lucky to get on a few times per week

Wish I had more time to sink into this game. Between work, three kids, spending time with my wife and trying to keep healthy I am lucky to get on a few times per week
Yep. This is why I’m chugging along and most people in here have finished it. 😅

So I'm at this one part and I legit don't know how I'm going to do it.....it's very hard. :(

The two robot chozo warriors in the locked room....this is brutal. I can handle one but two is....a lot.

Every time I successfully parry one of them, the other is RIGHT THERE shooting at me, interrupting me....it's really hard to get any damage in and dodge everything at the same time....it feels like I suck. :(

plus they have this one sliding red attack that has such a wide/fast range and it's hard to dodge even with flash shifting while also having to worry about the other one

I think I'm gonna stop here and try again tomorrow....I'm absolutely loving the game but this part is the first time I can't visualize how to overcome the challenge lol, I'll give it some time before coming back ^^

Last edited:
So I'm at this one part and I legit don't know how I'm going to do it.....it's very hard. :(

The two robot chozo warriors in the locked room....this is brutal. I can handle one but two is....a lot.

Every time I successfully parry one of them, the other is RIGHT THERE shooting at me, interrupting me....it's really hard to get any damage in and dodge everything at the same time....it feels like I suck. :(

plus they have this one sliding red attack that has such a wide/fast range and it's hard to dodge even with flash shifting while also having to worry about the other one

I think I'm gonna stop here and try again tomorrow :(
Spam the storm missiles. Try to separate the two as much as possible.

Really enjoying this game, I bought a copy of course but I am actually playing on Ryujinx in 4K60fps and its a beautiful game. Really great art style, hoping a Switch Pro is announced and this game can be shown in full res.

Spam the storm missiles. Try to separate the two as much as possible.

Yeah I've been using the storm missiles at every chance but the charge time makes it so they get on me pretty fast....I'll keep trying to stay as far away as possible though until my storm missiles take down one of them and then go in on the second!

Hopefully that strat sees some success tomorrow lol :')

Back
Top Bottom