• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

hmmm that one energy tank.. I guess you have to drop down using the using speedbooster? Do you lose momentum when you drop down? Haven’t tested that yet.

Currently at the halfway point?

A Chozo who is alive? Well now. Cool to see Samus talk in that alien lingo.

The mini boss which follows, oh boy

So I think I got myself stuck...

I tried going to Burenia via the green teleporter, but now I'm at the deepest point and I cannot get back up. Is there ANY way to go back up or to the areas on the lower right w/o the Gravity Suit or Power Bombs?

EDIT: Unstuck! And on we go!

I absolutely love this game, and currently at work I'm still thinking about how I want to play.. I'm currently at what I think is the last boss which blasted me to bits 3 times last night before I went to bed.

This below sequence is still giving me goose bumps though, holy shit when this 10 second or so sequence last night I flipped =) Wish it could have lasted a wee bit longer though hehe

Finished the game, also 100%, and what a great game it was. Might become my favorite Metroid game overall simply due to how good the controls were, how hype and well designed the boss fights were and the overall more cinematic presentation added a lot more weight to the story.

Clearly the partnership between Nintendo and MercurySteam works so hopefully they'll keep on working on Metroid or even something else together.

One thing you can do which you might find helpful, is open up the map, see the EMMI exit (they are automatically marked on your map), and then put a marker on it. That will constantly display it on your minimap, and you can orient yourself better in the middle of the EMMI chase.
This really helps a lot, thank you!

Beat what I think must be the second major boss, __Kraid____, and oh my fuck I love the boss fights in this game. And Samus’s cavalier attitude towards anything non-indestructible that gets in her way.

This game is so good, famI.

Sequence-breaking to get upgrades earlier than you would through normal progression is fun. Early grapple beam and bombs are pretty easy to pull off. Will go for early grav suit and maybe cross bombs next.

Beat the game!

Final boss was pretty easy. I did it in a few tries, the patterns weren’t too bad and telegraphed early. Escape sequence was so good though, best ever.

Loved the game. GOTY. Doing a new playthrough right away, maybe a low% one on Hard.

Reached this point in hard mode again last night and could not resist.

j4UnuFi.jpg

Anyone here manage to shinespark Z-57? Saw it was possible but hard to nail the timing

The joy/high that I get when going back to the old maps and getting into places I couldn't get to before is the best.

Sooo...

I beat the E.M.M.I. that gets you the Wave Beam. Now, in the same area, right on the way to the transporter to the forest area, there's a shinespark puzzle that I'm having trouble with. Anyone got any tips?

Hit a fantastic stretch last night, got lost for a hour or so then stumbled into the whole set-piece leading to the
Varia Suit
and then wandered around aimlessly exploring and fell into
Kraid
who kicked my butt for at least 20 attempts.

I ran around some more after, and kept telling myself I was done for the night, but ended up
killing the 3rd, super fast, E.M.M.I.
I can't even remember where I stopped, but I think I even found another item after that.

I feel like I'm edging close to halfway, because I'm just under 4 hours in, but maybe I'm doing way more exploring than the average player.

Last edited:
I'm pretty much at the end, being a completionist I'm gonna go back and get 100% of the items unless y'all think the ending is just too good to not put off.

I'm pretty much at the end, being a completionist I'm gonna go back and get 100% of the items unless y'all think the ending is just too good to not put off.
This is what I plan to do when I get to the end. Is it made pretty clear when you get there? Do all of the items you've missed show up on the map?

This is what I plan to do when I get to the end. Is it made pretty clear when you get there? Do all of the items you've missed show up on the map?
You'll know when you're at the final boss; it's pretty obvious. Missed items are shown on the map either through a flashing light on the map screen if you haven't seen it or an uncollected item if you have. If it's in a room you haven't explored yet, it won't be on the map.

The horror stories I’m hearing about the final boss really worry me lol. Haven’t gotten to it yet, I’m at the second to last one I think? But I’m worried I won’t be able to handle it

I finished my second Normal run at 4:34h even though I was aiming just under 8h. Now I'm a little annoyed I didn't rush a little more lol.

The horror stories I’m hearing about the final boss really worry me lol. Haven’t gotten to it yet, I’m at the second to last one I think? But I’m worried I won’t be able to handle it

It took me around 25 minutes, not 3 hours like one reviewer was saying. Here's a very vague tip if you are curious:
the power bomb comes in handy.

Is there a save point before the point of no return? Can I fight the last boss, then reload the save and go collectible hunting like in Zelda, or do you have to get everything done before the fight?

Is there a save point before the point of no return? Can I fight the last boss, then reload the save and go collectible hunting like in Zelda, or do you have to get everything done before the fight?
Yes, it works exactly like Zelda. Once you beat the final boss, you just reload at the save right before.

I'm the opposite, I'm super psyched to face off against a boss that I'm hearing is ridiculously difficult. I find that kinda thing hella fun.

It took me about an hour to beat the boss, in total. Honestly, I didn't really start to make progress until I took it seriously. It really demands your full attention and skills, just like an old school boss...but it's super fair. I hadn't flexed this part of my Gamer Brain in such a long time that it took some getting used to, but it was well worth it. There's a consistent way to keep regenerating health and ammo, and once you learn it, the boss becomes much, much easier.

I also had like, 30% items or something when I faced the boss the first time. I decided to try beating the boss again with 100%, and yeah, it's infinitely easier if you have a zillion E tanks and missiles. I even beat it in one try the second go-around, haha. It feels like when I got really good at DKC2 as a kid and would just beat the K. Rool boss fight for fun. This game is incredible.

Oh no. So I did the sequence break to get Gravity Suit early, which is right after obtaining ice missiles from the EMMI in Ghavoran. Everything went smoothly. However, I'm only realising now that having done so means the only way forward is through frozen Artaria, and thus Z-57.

So that should go well. :)

It took me around 25 minutes, not 3 hours like one reviewer was saying. Here's a very vague tip if you are curious:
the power bomb comes in handy.
Thanks! I’ll definitely keep this in mind lol
I'm the opposite, I'm super psyched to face off against a boss that I'm hearing is ridiculously difficult. I find that kinda thing hella fun.
I mean I’m excited too but the problem is I’m not that great at games and so many bosses in this game have already demanded so much that I’ve felt like I barely scraped through. I dunno what an even harder boss will be like lol
It took me about an hour to beat the boss, in total. Honestly, I didn't really start to make progress until I took it seriously. It really demands your full attention and skills, just like an old school boss...but it's super fair. I hadn't flexed this part of my Gamer Brain in such a long time that it took some getting used to, but it was well worth it. There's a consistent way to keep regenerating health and ammo, and once you learn it, the boss becomes much, much easier.

I also had like, 30% items or something when I faced the boss the first time. I decided to try beating the boss again with 100%, and yeah, it's infinitely easier if you have a zillion E tanks and missiles. I even beat it in one try the second go-around, haha. It feels like when I got really good at DKC2 as a kid and would just beat the K. Rool boss fight for fun. This game is incredible.
Yeah one thing I plan on doing is buffing myself up before the fight. Just have enough energy tanks that I can take some punishment if I mess up for a second.

Nearing the end of the game and one of my main minor gripes is that there is no D-Pad basic 4/8-way controls. There have been several times that I've ruined a Speed Boost or otherwise misfired because I accidentally the analog stick. With the full range of 360 degree aiming, I understand why they did it, but basic D-Pad controls would have been neato.

Some thoughts, since I'm (I guess) in the last quarter of the game:
- Really like the environments and was surprised by some regions
- Love Samus. Her animations and how bad-ass she is. The devs nailed her
- Those Shinespark Challanges are cool. Not too hard but not easy peasy. Like them
- Bosses are tough, but still fair. Sure you have to retry them but you constantly get better
- Dislike that the feedback given by the bosses if you hit them is not visually great. Miss a red or yellow blinking when I hit them or them changing colors
- Map is big, but often confusing. I would prefer to have some central room or corridor in which you return often to reorientate yourself.
- What I learned (the hard way) is that you have to trust the Devs to guide you to the next bit of progression. For example: You obtained the weapon to open up... purple doors? Go to the next door that is purple right after a boss and go there (and hiding progress behind hidden Beam blocks is BS. Stop that)
- The negative is on this, that there is almost no big tour to find all kinds of shit for yourself like in Super Metroid after you got the Ice Beam or looped around the world and came back to your ship. Sure, there are upgrades here and there, but you don't really open up new areas by just backtracking. You gain some items by backtracking but even that seems like wated time, cause you will get there once the Devs lead you to that area again.
- Also it is hard to make a mental note/map with all these smaller locks all over the place. I never had to use a map that often, which is fine...? but not how I prefer it.

Dread as of right now is still a really good Metroid, but falls short on the proper backtracking and exploration mid-game that I love so much about Super Metroid. Movement is superb, combat is tight and I love the feel but not quite what I truly seek. Would place it number 2 on my 2D Metroid hitlist

Can I just say, the reveal of what Samus's weird purple energy power from the intro was was the biggest "Oh, duh, of course that's what it is!" moment for me. Like, how did I not see it coming?

Just started the game yesterday. I’m loving it, it looks so good on the OLED.

Also, damn, the speed boost puzzles are tough 😂

You'll know when you're at the final boss; it's pretty obvious. Missed items are shown on the map either through a flashing light on the map screen if you haven't seen it or an uncollected item if you have. If it's in a room you haven't explored yet, it won't be on the map.
Would you say I’m a third through the game?

Once I can clearly tell I’m at the final boss, I totally expect that I’ll go back and clean everything up before heading in and finishing it.

I need as much health and missile upgrades equipped as possible.

This game is great. That’s all. They nailed everything I love about the series. I’ve also gotten lost a couple of times now which is something that hasn’t happened to me since Super Metroid.

The way they refined the counter mechanic is also fantastic because 1, enemies are aggressive but they’re not HP sponges like SR in the early game. And 2, I can do it on the move and still do good damage even if it’s not a parry.

Okay, that wasn't actually THAT bad.

Unless that wasn't the true final boss...

EDIT: can confirm it was...
more or less.

100% in just over 10 hours. What a game, holy hell.

Last edited:
Finished my first run over the weekend. The game is a true masterpiece. It's insane to me how expectations for the game were so high (almost unfairly high in some ways) and they somehow managed to surpass them.

I'm so happy this game looks poised to be a breakout success for the series, because it's 100% deserved.

- What I learned (the hard way) is that you have to trust the Devs to guide you to the next bit of progression
Yep I noticed they funnel very well your path. If you found a transport/teleport, unless you missed something in the current area, you probably just need to use it. And I noticed some kinds of blocks/doors are not exactly widespread, so it's kinda clear where to go next after getting a new ability

This way of doing things plus QoL stuff like highlighting a block or door type made me really love the pacing. I got absolutely stuck on Super Metroid a few times, maybe because I missed some block or something and then started backtracking on the whole map cluelessly, while in this one it felt like always something new was happening, and there always was a place I suspected I needed to check out

Anyway great game and a clear improvement over Samus Returns gameplay

Sequence-breaking to get upgrades earlier than you would through normal progression is fun. Early grapple beam and bombs are pretty easy to pull off. Will go for early grav suit and maybe cross bombs next.
I really hope someone puts together a compilation of sequence breaks, I'd love to see how I can plan some out for myself

What's the part you're having trouble with? I just did it less than an hour ago so it's fresh in my mind.
It's not a specific part, just stupid mistakes on my part. I have trouble timing the spin jumps, I keep running into him

It's not a specific part, just stupid mistakes on my part. I have trouble timing the spin jumps, I keep running into him
There's only one or two parts where I felt like I needed to space jump, everything else is dodgeable either by sliding or flash shifting.

hmmm that one energy tank.. I guess you have to drop down using the using speedbooster? Do you lose momentum when you drop down? Haven’t tested that yet.

Currently at the halfway point?

A Chozo who is alive? Well now. Cool to see Samus talk in that alien lingo.

The mini boss which follows, oh boy
That mini boss that follows is my favorite enemy in the entire game.

I will just say... look forward to seeing it again.

Is it normal that...
The final boss fucking obliterates me? I can't believe how good are the boss fights in this game

Back
Top Bottom