• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Metroid Dread | Review Thread

AusGamers (10/10):
Then, once repaired and ready to dare, she moves onto the next fashionista boss withholding this summer's must-have accessory -- a Charge Beam here, a Phantom Cloak there -- and takes no guff when procuring whichever suit upgrade it is she needs to get to her final destination.

NME (5/5)
A decades-in-the-making celebration of 2D Metroid that’s unafraid to take risks by stretching into horror, Metroid Dread lives up to both halves of its name and serves as a satisfying cap to a story started in 1986.

Nintendo Link (97/100):
Metroid Dread gets just about everything right, and without spoiling anything, this is a satisfying ending to this story that will please fans both old and new. The addition of the E.M.M.I. create some of the most intense moments in the series’ history, and the boss fights are truly some of the most fun and challenging ever. Samus has never controlled better, and exploring with her once again on the eerie Planet ZDR is a dream come true. Samus is finally back, and she’s better than ever.

VGChartz (9/10):
Between the rock solid exploration and atmosphere, the incredible boss fights, and the solid tension building of the EMMIs, Dread is probably the definitive 2D Metroidvania of the 21st century.

PPE.pl (9/10, review in Polish):
Metroid Dread is another very strong production in the Nintendo Switch catalog ... But it's hard not to get the impression that this is a game "from fans to fans" – MercurySteam fulfilled yoshio Sakamoto's vision and the developers perfectly fulfilled this task.

IGN Portugal (9/10, review in Portuguese):
Samus Aran's triumphant return to a genre that she herself helped to name proves once again that there are no styles worthy of being caged in the past. The risk taken by MercurySteam results in one of the best games ever in the series, a chapter with its own personality that puts the bounty hunter alongside Link and Mario, making it one of the console's must-have titles. From the memorable bosses, to the harrowing encounters with the E.M.M.I. all painted by an artistic direction that takes the most from Nintendo Switch, making Metroid Dread one of the best of 2021.

Video Chums (8.9/10):
Metroid Dread is one of the best Metroidvania games out there with its awesome collection of abilities and its action-packed E.M.M.I. areas. It may not provide as much challenge as old-school fans would expect but it's still an undeniably incredible adventure.

Pocket Tactics (8/10):
Let’s get to the point: is Metroid still relevant in 2021? The answer is yes. While Dread doesn’t bring anything new to the table, and sticks very closely to the tried-and-true formula, it’s a well-balanced Metroidvania that will please fans that have waited 17 years for the true return of Samus.

Pocket Gamer UK (4/5):
Metroid Dread is a slick and intense platform-adventure, and the most exciting Switch game Nintendo has produced in quite some time.

Last edited:
Happy for MercurySteam, they seem to really get Metroid. Hope they'll have a long and fruitful partnership with Nintendo going forward.

So amazing to see how well the game is reviewing! I bet Mercury Steam must be pretty happy with their turn around. As always with some good direction you can get the best out of developers so them teaming with Nintendo was a very good idea indeed.

From what ive played so far the game plays like a dream it's fast paced and snappy like the gba games and the graphics look amazing on the oled switch and docked on tv aswell.

It's a perfect metroid game tbh.

Well done to Mercury Steam and Nintendo. By all accounts this looks amazing - can't wait to pick up my copy

Cubed3’s 9/10 review is now live: http://www.cubed3.com/review/6494/1/metroid-dread-nintendo-switch.html

In very much a Metroidvania move, backtracking back to the start of the review with the question, "Is the new adventure worth the wait?" The answer is a resounding yes. Nintendo and MercurySteam have pulled off a sequel that is classic, essential Metroid with a sprinkling of the new; controls, visual direction and a terrifying new threat that sends a space-aged shiver through the spine. Metroid Dread is the evolution to how side-scrolling Metroid should feel and the conclusion to something truly special. A thrilling chapter for players who have been looking up to the stars for decades, and a compelling tale for adventurers new to the series!

Kotaku (no score):
I’m glad that Dread really goes for it, that it wants to make you feel hunted and disadvantaged and that it’s willing to feel hostile in order to accomplish that. The result is a feeling that survival itself is a reward more meaningful than all the upgrades in the world, a feeling I rarely get from games anymore. But ZDR never captivated me the way previous Metroid settings have, and as a conclusion to the story arc, Dread seems to misunderstand what made the early chapters resonate. Samus is wonderful, a survivor, an icon, and she endures. But when I think back on my time with her over the past several decades, Dread will forever dwell in the shadows of my favorite Metroid memories.

British GQ (no score):
And that’s where Dread absolutely thrives: simple, focused ideas that are brilliantly executed. It’s smooth and satisfying in the hands, lean and exciting throughout the entire adventure and mixes its old school roots with fresh ideas that keep it ahead of the curve its forebears drew in the first place. That mix of new and old is a lot to balance in a game – let alone a portable one – but Dread makes it look easy. It’s both Nintendo’s best first-party game of the year and the perfect companion to a Switch OLED, should you be picking one up for launch day.

CNET (no score):
Though Metroid Dread will most certainly not be the last we see of Samus Aran, it is an effective capper for a particular era of the Metroid series. Metroid Dread is a terrific game, one that feels like coming home.

Nintendo World Report (10/10):
Over the years I’ve heard many people demand a sequel, in terms of gameplay, to one 2D Metroid or another. No matter what sequel you’ve wished for, Metroid Dread is it. It is simply Metroid, in the best way possible. Metroid Dread is the culmination of 2D Metroid in its entirety. It is a testament not only to what the genre has always been, but the potential of what it could become. It is a triumphant return of Samus Aran as the undisputed queen of the genre. Long may she reign.

App Trigger (9.5/10):
Metroid Dread is an amazing return for Samus with fantastic controls, excellent sound design and a wonderful overall aesthetic. Even as someone who’s not normally fond of Metroidvania-style games, the intensity of Metroid Dread held my attention to the point where I felt heartbroken the first time my Switch let me know the batteries were about to die.

Unboxed (9.5/10):
Mercurysteam have taken what they learnt from Samus Returns and really upped the ante with the gameplay, Samus controls like butter, running jumping and sliding all other the place feels like a dream. A few years ago we called Samus Returns on 3DS the best 2D Metroid ever made and as good as that game is, Dread improves upon it in almost every sense of the word, hopefully, this is the start of a whole new era for Samus and the Metroid franchise even after a lengthy development.

Power Unlimited (90/100, review in Dutch):
Anyway, all these negatives really only stand out if you place Dread in the pantheon of previous Metroid classics and then compare very closely. Because what I mainly want to communicate is that those Spaniards have done the impossible: creating a really good, classic Metroid! And that in a world in which the term metroidvania hardly raises any question marks. With production values of 2021, wow! So make a few more, MercurySteam; I promise I will never doubt you again. And… please don't take twenty years, okay?

Hey Poor Player (4.5/5):
Metroid Dread is a must-own for any Metroidvania fan. Featuring some of the best 2D combat I’ve ever played and a world dying to be explored, I couldn’t put it down until I reached the thrilling conclusion. Its difficulty and atmosphere help it live up to its namesake but never chased me away. There are minor issues, but nothing that stops this from being one of 2021’s best.

But Why Tho? (8.5/10):
Metroid Dread is not only an excellent game and return of a beloved franchise, it’s emblematic of everything that defined the genre in the first place in a way that many modern Metroidvanias simply aren’t. Its exploration, upgrading, and re-exploration are never spoonfed to you and feel constantly like great accomplishments with great difficulty scaling and thrilling new mechanics and atmosphere.

Kakuchopurei (80/100):
All I’m saying is welcome back, Samus. We’ve missed you. While your latest escapades are just a step below the original Super Metroid, it’s still a noteworthy adventure that’s definitely above the rest of its peers.

WayTooManyGames (8/10):
Metroid Dread is, well, another 2D Metroid, and that is worth celebrating if you’re a fan of the franchise. It will not, by any means, convert newcomers into die-hard fans of the series, given how it assumes you’ve played its predecessors right from the get-go, but it offers a crap ton of fanservice and excellent level design for those who know what to expect from a Metroid game. If only it didn’t have so many obnoxious stealth horror sections that did nothing but halt my overall enjoyment with it, this could have challenged Super Metroid as to which entry in the series is the greatest of all time.

Sorry for the double post lol

Switchitalia score: 8.5/10

Some graphical artifact and some difficulty spike can't ruin the overall experience, able to offer dynamic combat, good world exploration, nrw elements within the spirit of the franchise and a great travel through the lore of the Metroid universe. Samus is back!

The user rating is 9.1. People recognize greatness.
The user rating got tanked to an 8.7 with only like 100-150 new reviews. Lots of reviews obviously, but it was at a 9.2 with around 500. I'm not saying the game is perfect, but I think it's INCREDIBLE and I wonder if this is the normal flow of ratings or salty fans of other consoles/devs who couldn't stand to see the glowing user score? Hmmmm

Anyway, Dread is back up to an 89 on MC.

Last edited:
lol.....I think the game might be getting review bombed on MC.

lol.....I think the game might be getting review bombed on MC.

Why because it’s 2d or something?

"Can't believe Nintendo is selling this indie game for 60 bucks when my precious Hollow Knight is 20"
You are close

FTAszChZYUhf.png

Has Jeff or Mike given previews, or was it on the stream or something where they indicated they love it?
Jeff basically posted a tweet that he was sad dread ends and how he compared it to ALBW where its the best-feeling entry in a franchise that started on NES. It mayn not be perfect like ALBW, but it's really close. Basically almost perfect entry. So expect an extremely high score from him lol.

You are close

FTAszChZYUhf.png

Basically “I don’t like being asked to think too much”

But in their defense…
when you first arrive at the second zone (Cataris?) is there any real indicator that you’re meant to shoot the wall on the left? In an otherwise amazing game this has especially bothered me. Yes I did progress without looking at a guide but it felt like garbage luck

Basically “I don’t like being asked to think too much”

But in their defense…
when you first arrive at the second zone (Cataris?) is there any real indicator that you’re meant to shoot the wall on the left? In an otherwise amazing game this has especially bothered me. Yes I did progress without looking at a guide but it felt like garbage luck

Can't you see that section if you stand right next to it?

Can't you see that section if you stand right next to it?

It was a while ago. Perhaps that’s all it was, but it was bugging me. I think generally I don’t like “shoot at this solid wall to progress” as an idea, especially when there’s so many solid walls with nearby rooms.

That moment aside the game is still a 9+ for me

It was a while ago. Perhaps that’s all it was, but it was bugging me. I think generally I don’t like “shoot at this solid wall to progress” as an idea, especially when there’s so many solid walls with nearby rooms.

That moment aside the game is still a 9+ for me

At least they teach you to do it in the beginning, but yeah, could perhaps be handled better. Still, the best Metroid to date for me, also the most fair one despite being difficult.

At least they teach you to do it in the beginning, but yeah, could perhaps be handled better. Still, the best Metroid to date for me, also the most fair one despite being difficult.

For sure, it’s been a treat otherwise.

We’re at that phase of a hyped console exclusive’s review cycle where console warriors show up to review bomb the ENEMY EXCLUSIVE, I see.

"Can't believe Nintendo is selling this indie game for 60 bucks when my precious Hollow Knight is 20"
There is this Italian website that got Metroid a 7 point something and got a lot of shit from users. In the review there's a sentence somewhat like: "Exploration is definitely the son of the Hollow Knight model: don't expect to be guided"

Bruh have you ever played a metroid before?

Look, I love love love Hollow Knight, but Dread (only 4 hours in) is miles better. It just scratches an itch that Hollow Knight doesn't quite touch (they're also so very different in their approach to the genre, and hard to meticulously compare).

Back
Top Bottom