• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Metroid Dread | Review Thread

Thank god Kat Bailey didn't review Metroid Dread, I think she would have give it a 7 score. Crisis avoided.
I'd like to suggest we, as a fami, do not single out reviewers like this; it's disrespectful, and not in the spirit of the community.

I'd like to suggest we, as a fami, do not single out reviewers like this; it's disrespectful, and not in the spirit of the community.
What? I can disagree with the content or opinions of a review/preview without saying that the reviewer is biased or a fake gamer? Preposterous! : p

Is Kat Bailey known to give 7s?
She just didn't seem to like the game much from the previews

Though imo the amount she didn't like it was overstated, she probably would've given an 8 or something based on her preview

Edit: To clarify, this is not meant to be disparaging towards Kat Bailey, just noting her seeming opinions on the game

She just didn't seem to like the game much from the previews

Though imo the amount she didn't like it was overstated, she probably would've given an 8 or something based on her preview

Edit: To clarify, this is not meant to be disparaging towards Kat Bailey, just noting her seeming opinions on the game
Yeah, different reviewers will have differing opinions. I think ideally you'd have someone who's a fan of the genre on the game they're going to review. Metroidvanias aren't for everyone.

been playing a looooooooot of metroidvania for the first time this year:

ori 1
ori 2
circle of the moon
aria of sorrow
harmony of dissonance
axiom verge 2
toki tori 2
kirby & the amazing mirror
shantae and the seven sirens

and i have carrion to get started on later this month.

so a new metroid is hitting a bit different. like there's so many games like it these days, it's unbelievable that the queen of them all is back and apparently one of the best in the series, and probably one of the best in the genre.

been playing a looooooooot of metroidvania for the first time this year:

ori 1
ori 2
circle of the moon
aria of sorrow
harmony of dissonance
axiom verge 2
toki tori 2
kirby & the amazing mirror
shantae and the seven sirens

and i have carrion to get started on later this month.

so a new metroid is hitting a bit different. like there's so many games like it these days, it's unbelievable that the queen of them all is back and apparently one of the best in the series, and probably one of the best in the genre.
Don’t miss hollow knight

Glad to see Dread reviewing well. I wasn't too worried about its critical reception after watching the Treehouse footage. Especially after how solid Samus Returns was. I just have to hope my copy arrives on time.

i played hollow knight for a solid 6-8 hours and it is not for me. way too difficult and unforgiving for my tastes. and i beat celeste with unending joycon drift.
Hmm, I thought Celeste was harder than the main part of hollow knight, now the optional stuff in hollow knight I thought was harder

0a8XCgQ_d.webp

Well half of the job is done. Just needs to sell and we'll enter a timeline of consistent Metroid releases.
We're probably looking at over two million in the first month given the insane pre-order sales and incredible advertising by Nintendo. The legs is the major question here.

Well half of the job is done. Just needs to sell and we'll enter a timeline of consistent Metroid releases.
Tbf Mercury Steam got to make Metroid 5 off the pitifully low sales of Returns, Nintendo's threshold for letting them continue is probably lower than ours

Edit: For fun, here's a hypothetical yearly Metroid schedule

2021: Dread
2022: Prime 1 HD
2023: Prime 4
2024: This is an iffy one. Maybe a spin-off, maybe Prime 2 HD if Prime 1 HD sells well
2025: Metroid 6

Thank god Kat Bailey didn't review Metroid Dread, I think she would have give it a 7 score. Crisis avoided.

Hmm, she likes Metroid so not sure she’d give it a 7. But who knows. Maybe she would. I love Kat Bailey and her podcast, but if there is a poster child for the old man yells at clouds meme, it definitely is her lol

To clarify, she is very set in her ways and she likes what she likes game wise.

A bit of an edit to clarify some more. It’s not a knock on her. She is actually one of my favorite writers and we have similar tastes in rpgs for the most part. She does like Metroid because Super Metroid is one of her favorite games. Unfortunately, Super Metroid is one of the best games of all time but also one of the worst things that could happen to the series as a whole. Too many people want Super all over again I feel sometimes, and honestly (not counting remakes) each entry is very different from one another gameplay wise IMO and I think that’s a good thing. The core is the same, but look at Super, 2 and Fusion. Very different ways that took the series in different directions within the same mold.

One can argue Metroid 1 and Super, but I always felt that Super was like a sequel that was also a remake.

I don’t know. Super Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time. 10/10. I just don’t want another Super personally.

Last edited:
I can see Samus Returns HD down the line. Dread plays beautifully in 60 FPS that it'd be a shame for MercurySteam's other Metroid title to be trapped on the 3DS.

Agreed - there's no reason to call out a journalist because of a review you disagree with. It's incredibly toxic, discourages reviewers being as honest as they can be and/or actively pushes them away from our community.

I think it would have been interesting to see Kat's review. She wasn't especially negative about Dread - she just wasn't fond of the EMMI section, but that's only from an early part of the game. Those segments could have easily evolved into something she turned around on entirely by end game.

Tbf Mercury Steam got to make Metroid 5 off the pitifully low sales of Returns, Nintendo's threshold for letting them continue is probably lower than ours

2024: This is an iffy one. Maybe a spin-off, maybe Prime 2 HD if Prime 1 HD sells well
For sure, and it seems like we'll be eating good for the next few years, but obviously there's a lot more inertia for the series if the upcoming slate of games sell well. There's a difference between "we are making these games because Sakamoto/Tanabe are pushing for it" vs "we need to make games because the franchise sells".

And yeah I think we could see something of a yearly release calendar for this series pretty quick here if things pan out. Remasters/Remakes could easily fill the schedule between new entries.

Hmm, she likes Metroid so not sure she’d give it a 7. But who knows. Maybe she would. I love Kat Bailey and her podcast, but if there is a poster child for the old man yells at clouds meme, it definitely is her lol

To clarify, she is very set in her ways and she likes what she likes game wise.

A bit of an edit to clarify some more. It’s not a knock on her. She is actually one of my favorite writers and we have similar tastes in rpgs for the most part. She does like Metroid because Super Metroid is one of her favorite games. Unfortunately, Super Metroid is one of the best games of all time but also one of the worst things that could happen to the series as a whole. Too many people want Super all over again I feel sometimes, and honestly (not counting remakes) each entry is very different from one another gameplay wise IMO and I think that’s a good thing. The core is the same, but look at Super, 2 and Fusion. Very different ways that took the series in different directions within the same mold.

One can argue Metroid 1 and Super, but I always felt that Super was like a sequel that was also a remake.

I don’t know. Super Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time. 10/10. I just don’t want another Super personally.
Yeah, in that way Super Metroid is kind of like a lot of games around that time. A lot of developers took the SNES being "The NES but better" pretty seriously and thus are essentially half-sequels, half-remakes.

Scoring as expected, but unfortunately my joycons are going absolutely haywire right now. The left stick is drifting like crazy and I had to reassign the A button to the Y. I can only afford Metroid or a pair of new Joycons right now, though. Hmm, semi-playable Metroid or a much more playable Switch this month?

Probably Metroid for me, haha.

why end there

2026: Prime Hunters HD or Other M Remake
2027 Super Metroid Remake
2028 Prime 3 HD
2029 Metroid 7
2030 Prime 5

We're probably looking at over two million in the first month given the insane pre-order sales and incredible advertising by Nintendo. The legs is the major question here.
I'm eagerly waiting for the Q1 fiscal report late this month because they usually tell sell throughs up to that point there.
If not there, I'm kind of having a fanfic in my head where it sits at 4m til Dec 31st.

I think 2024 has a huge shot for an expansion/DLC for MP4. Hell maybe even an iterative sequel to Dread, beginning the new arc, as they have engine and assets done and mastered the formula already, 3 years would be enough maybe.
I don't think Prime 2 HD would be ready as I guess after Prime 1 wrapped up this year the full team is at work at MP4 to make sure it's mind blowing in 2023.

I want this to do well not only to resurrect Metroid and make it a bigger thing, but lead to other revivals of dormant series.

Back
Top Bottom