• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews Metroid Dread | Review Thread

mazi

picross pundit
Metacritic (88)
OpenCritic (87)

Eurogamer (essential):
This is a modern Metroid, a 2D adventure delivered with triple-A panache, yet one that retains the grace and poise that's always marked the highlights of this series, and marked it out from its many imitators. How blessed we are to have Samus properly back, and what a marvel it is to be reminded how special Metroid can be. The wait, I'm delighted to say, was somehow worth it.

Polygon (recommended):
Dread reimagines the Metroid format with confidence and care, and it trusts the player to make leaps along the way. While following its interwoven path of epic boss fights, satisfying upgrades, and otherworldly environments, all I could think was that this is the Metroid game I’ve been waiting for. It easily stands astride the best entries in the series, and I eagerly await a follow-up in the year 2040.

3DJuegos (recommended, review in Spanish):
Metroid Dread is a superb demonstration about how to make a 2D action platformer with tons of exploration and backtracking. Definitely, a must for Metroid fans.

Console Creatures (recommended):
There’s a reason we’ve classified an entire genre of games as Metroidvania – the queen cannot be toppled, and Metroid Dread is a shining example of how the original is always better.

The Verge (no score):
It nails the classic feel of a Metroid game while updating it with wonderfully detailed visuals, more satisfying combat, and new areas that briefly turn it into a stealth horror experience. But all of that comes to a grinding halt when you have to fight three bosses in a short span, each of which requires either fast reflexes or pattern memorization to get through — or both. Instead of punctuating the quiet exploration with intense battles, the copious boss encounters instead turn into a slog. Dread features some of the most beautifully dark and solemn moments in the franchise — but you’ll have to be prepared to really fight to see it all.

Ars Technica (no score):
If "classic 2D adventure on Switch" puts the same tingle in your spine as it does mine, Mercury Steam will not lead you astray with this impressive sequel. Buy.

Kotaku (no score):
I’m glad that Dread really goes for it, that it wants to make you feel hunted and disadvantaged and that it’s willing to feel hostile in order to accomplish that. The result is a feeling that survival itself is a reward more meaningful than all the upgrades in the world, a feeling I rarely get from games anymore. But ZDR never captivated me the way previous Metroid settings have, and as a conclusion to the story arc, Dread seems to misunderstand what made the early chapters resonate. Samus is wonderful, a survivor, an icon, and she endures. But when I think back on my time with her over the past several decades, Dread will forever dwell in the shadows of my favorite Metroid memories.

British GQ (no score):
And that’s where Dread absolutely thrives: simple, focused ideas that are brilliantly executed. It’s smooth and satisfying in the hands, lean and exciting throughout the entire adventure and mixes its old school roots with fresh ideas that keep it ahead of the curve its forebears drew in the first place. That mix of new and old is a lot to balance in a game – let alone a portable one – but Dread makes it look easy. It’s both Nintendo’s best first-party game of the year and the perfect companion to a Switch OLED, should you be picking one up for launch day.

CNET (no score):
Though Metroid Dread will most certainly not be the last we see of Samus Aran, it is an effective capper for a particular era of the Metroid series. Metroid Dread is a terrific game, one that feels like coming home.

Nintendo World Report (10/10):
Over the years I’ve heard many people demand a sequel, in terms of gameplay, to one 2D Metroid or another. No matter what sequel you’ve wished for, Metroid Dread is it. It is simply Metroid, in the best way possible. Metroid Dread is the culmination of 2D Metroid in its entirety. It is a testament not only to what the genre has always been, but the potential of what it could become. It is a triumphant return of Samus Aran as the undisputed queen of the genre. Long may she reign.

Screen Rant (5/5):
Metroid Dread is an instant classic. Its seamless blend of exploration, combat, puzzle-solving, and light touches of story creates one of the most engaging experiences on Nintendo Switch. Samus Aran's journey has been through its ups and downs, but the mesospheric high of Metroid Dread is evidence there is so, so much more left for the bounty hunter to accomplish, and another adventure can't come soon enough.

Trusted Reviews (5/5):
Metroid Dread perfects the metroidvania formula that its predecessors established, while also elevating the series to new heights with highly rewarding combat, stunning 3D cutscenes and new stealth segments that provide greater variety to the gameplay. It won’t be for everyone due to its high difficulty and a lack of accessibility options, but this is nevertheless one of the best games in the Nintendo Switch library. If you’re a fan of Super Metroid, you’ll love it.

VGC (5/5):
With a near-perfect balance of nods to the past and fresh ideas, Metroid Dread brings cinematic flair, fast-paced action and a surprising story to the side-scrolling classic. This is the comeback fans have been waiting for.

Nintendo Life (10/10):
Metroid Dread is a triumphant return for both Samus Aran and developer MercurySteam. This is a super-slick, hugely entertaining and exquisitely designed entry in the Metroid franchise that plays better than anything we've seen from the series so far. With a bunch of fantastic new abilities, super tense and enjoyable stealth sections, plenty of great big boss fights and a story that fans will definitely enjoy, we can't really see how this one could have been any better. Best Metroid game ever? This could be the one.

AusGamers (10/10):
Then, once repaired and ready to dare, she moves onto the next fashionista boss withholding this summer's must-have accessory -- a Charge Beam here, a Phantom Cloak there -- and takes no guff when procuring whichever suit upgrade it is she needs to get to her final destination.

NME (5/5)
A decades-in-the-making celebration of 2D Metroid that’s unafraid to take risks by stretching into horror, Metroid Dread lives up to both halves of its name and serves as a satisfying cap to a story started in 1986.

Nintendo Link (97/100):
Metroid Dread gets just about everything right, and without spoiling anything, this is a satisfying ending to this story that will please fans both old and new. The addition of the E.M.M.I. create some of the most intense moments in the series’ history, and the boss fights are truly some of the most fun and challenging ever. Samus has never controlled better, and exploring with her once again on the eerie Planet ZDR is a dream come true. Samus is finally back, and she’s better than ever.

Atomix (96/100, review in Spanish):
Probably the game that I have enjoyed the most in 2021 and one of my favorites from the wide catalog of the Nintendo Switch. MercurySteam did it and Samus is back better than ever.

My Nintendo News (9.5/10):
This final 13-16 hour installment is an exquisite showcase of 2D Metroid in its prime. Newcomers and die-hard fans of the series can revel in a Nintendo Switch game that not only provides one of the most deadly and thrilling experiences on Nintendo’s latest handheld to date, but one that’s such a joy to play thanks to control refinements and HD graphics. Metroid Dread is an explosive and emotional end to a beloved story that cannot be missed, and we’re already itching to see where the next mission takes us. Just as long as it doesn’t include the dreaded E.M.M.I.

Nintenderos (9.5/10, review in Spanish):
Metroid Dread is the sequel that everyone has been waiting for. A great game that can be hard and complex, but at its core, it's a true evolution of the classic Metroid formula. A must have for every Nintendo Switch user.

App Trigger (9.5/10):
Metroid Dread is an amazing return for Samus with fantastic controls, excellent sound design and a wonderful overall aesthetic. Even as someone who’s not normally fond of Metroidvania-style games, the intensity of Metroid Dread held my attention to the point where I felt heartbroken the first time my Switch let me know the batteries were about to die.

Unboxed (9.5/10):
Mercurysteam have taken what they learnt from Samus Returns and really upped the ante with the gameplay, Samus controls like butter, running jumping and sliding all other the place feels like a dream. A few years ago we called Samus Returns on 3DS the best 2D Metroid ever made and as good as that game is, Dread improves upon it in almost every sense of the word, hopefully, this is the start of a whole new era for Samus and the Metroid franchise even after a lengthy development.

Nintendo Wire (9.5/10):
While it falls just short of being a masterpiece, Dread proves itself worthy of Metroid’s legacy with high fluidity, some fantastic setpieces, and a few particularly killer robots. We can only hope that this is not the end of Samus’s journey, but merely a new beginning – at the end of the day, the only thing I dread is this series returning to dormancy.

Gamepur (9.5/10):
Metroid Dread manages to do incredibly well by marrying moments of action with extreme tension and doing so from the flow of organic gameplay instead of using tools such as cutscenes and dialogue. In Metroid Dread, language is a kinetic thing. Samus Aran’s body is a moving sentence, and her weapons and abilities are punctuation. How you interact with the world you move through is how you tell your story. This is how the very best games in the series have always been and are true of all the best examples of the Metroidvania genre.

MGG Spain (92/100, review in Spanish):
Metroid Dread is one of the games of the year. The waiting time after Fusion was worth it, and this sequel lives up to it. The title has great pacing, cool design, and plenty of mechanics that modernize Samus. This game serves to highlight two things: Samus Returns, and MercurySteam.

The Games Machine (9.3/10, review in Italian):
Metroid Dread convincingly shows that Samus Aran is, after so many years, still at the (or very near to) the top of the genre it helped define. MercurySteam's creation is exhilarating, well balanced and beautiful to look at; even the somewhat atypical E.M.M.I. sections are competently integrated with the rest of the game.

Vandal (9.1/10, review in Spanish):
Metroid Dread is the comeback we have been dreaming about for years. There is some room for improvement, but overall it’s an incredibly solid game and a must-buy for any Metroid (or metroidvania) fan.

Player 2 (9.1/10):
Metroid Dread is a truly exceptional return to the spotlight for the franchise and Samus Aran. Having been somewhat lost in the wilderness for the better part of a decade, the pair of Nintendo and MercurySteam has worked wonders for the franchise. Some balancing issues erode at the unbelievable foundation of the game, but dread about the future of Metroid no longer, Samus is back in style.

IGN Italia (9.1/10, review in Italian):
An excellent return for Samus Aran and the Metroid series. The novelties don't work perfectly, but they are interesting nonetheless.

IGN (9/10):
Metroid Dread gets so much right after so many years that I almost feel resentful that we didn’t get this game and a few sequels in some steady cadence starting in 2005. But instead, I’m incredibly happy to play a Metroid that is back at the top of its game. Even though it’s the latest in a decades old series, Dread has just enough clever innovation to balance its familiarity. The universally recognizable mix of tough puzzles, tougher boss fights, ever-evolving exploration options, and intricate level design that recent games like Hollow Knight and Ori get so right has an origin point: It’s Metroid. I love those games, but the Metroid team, a mix of old and new developers now, have shown that they know how to do it best.

Multiplayer.it (9/10, review in Italian):
We never felt so powerful in a Metroid game, but at the same time the E.M.M.I. robots keep the tension high. This is a great conclusion and an explosive return, and hopefully not the last time we see Nintendo's most famous bounty hunter in a 2D adventure.

Game Informer (9/10):
After 19 years, Nintendo finally delivers an official sequel to Metroid Fusion that concludes Samus Aran's lifelong battle with a race of deadly alien organisms.

GAMINGbible (9/10):
I am, on the whole, delighted to report that Metroid Dread is every bit as good as the fans had hoped it would be, delivering a stunning conclusion that lays the groundwork for a very exciting future. It's a masterfully executed, explosive action game that delivers on every level, and looks and feels exactly how a Metroid game should in 2021. There are eye-popping vistas, moments of sheer terror, and some of the most memorable - and challenging - boss battles in the series' 35-year history.

XGN (9/10, review in Dutch):
Metroid Dread is the return of Samus we waited for almost twenty years. The closing chapter of Samus' adventure is intended to kickstart the era of the Switch OLED and it does it with a bang. The game looks delicious and plays seamlessly smooth. The game has some minor flaws but feels nearly perfect as you search the depths of ZDR and need to flee the E.M.M.I. to save your life. This is simply a must-buy for everyone that owns a Switch.

Shacknews (9/10):
In so many ways it is a return to what makes Metroid such a fantastic series of games. The EMMI chase segments are a welcome addition and add a new twist to its classic gameplay. The boss fights are more epic than ever, and the story is such a sweet payoff for fans that have invested literal decades in the overall series’ lore. There are a number of reasons they named the first half of an entire genre of games after this franchise and so many of them are on display here.

Stevivor (9/10):
Metroid Dread has been decades in the making, and if that’s because it wasn’t possible on less powerful handhelds, it’s been well and truly worth the wait. The strong foundations of Samus Returns have been expanded upon and evolved to create a modern Metroid experience that meets, and surpasses, the classic expectations. While it’s not a horror game, the E.M.M.I provide tension without being overplayed, and are backed up by a selection of challenging but rewarding boss battles. Playing as Samus has never felt better, with the bounty hunter’s quick and nimble movement perfectly paired with a blend of action, speedy traversal and stealth.

TheGamer (4.5/5):
Metroid Dread suffers from some minor grievances, but overall it is a remarkable achievement in not just resurrecting a dormant and beloved series, proving its authority in the genre it inhabits, or exhibiting the kind of airtight design we’d expect from a title of this calibre. It is a remarkable achievement because it is one of those few rare games that sets itself an atmospheric goal and launches it towards and through the stratosphere. This, here, is one of 2021’s very best games - we’re always in for a treat when Samus returns.

TheSixthAxis (9/10):
Metroid Dread sees the galaxy's best bounty hunter return in fine form. It takes the terror of being hunted from Metroid Fusion, the more modern direction of Samus Returns, and the freedom to add to the series' decades of lore to create something that's nigh on essential for Metroid fans.

Areajugones (9/10, review in Spanish):
Metroid Dread is a perfect mixture of 'things'. It is obviously a Metroidvania, but it can be enjoyed both by the connoisseurs of the genre as well as those that are complete newbies to it, it can even be considered a proper place to start exploring the genre. Even I, someone who is not particularly a fan of the Metroidvania concept, have been delighted by what Metroid Dread has to offer, and it has provided me with a ton of joy and has also surprised me more than any other game in a long time.

CGMagazine (9/10):
Metroid Dread is a wonderful, modern take on a classic game from childhood. It looks as beautiful as any of today’s games, but has a feel of the games of old. The scary tone of the game and its intense foes give you a challenge worthy of the series.

Checkpoint Gaming (9/10):
A continuation of Samus’ story from Metroid Fusion, Metroid Dread excels as a hybrid of both classic and modern Metroid gameplay. The exploration and combat are top-notch, with satisfying boss fights complete with stunning graphics and mid-action cutscenes. It’s only a few nitpicks that prevent Dread from being a masterpiece, but that still means that it’s a must-have for Metroid fans. The future holds a lot of promise for Samus Aran.

Eurogamer Italy (9/10):
Exploring ZDR planet is a marvelous adventure: as you progress through the game, you will collect new powers and story elements. Metroid Dread feels like old and new at the same time: will please both fans of the series and new players. This game plays gorgeously on the new Switch OLED screen and is a must-have for every metroidvania addict.

Gameblog.fr (9/10, review in French):
With Metroid Dread, Mercury Steam brings the series back to its roots by delivering a strong, dense and cleverly designed 2D episode. Thanks to its tough but balanced curve, Samus keeps getting stronger and more able to decipher many puzzles and fight interesting bosses, only to appear vulnerable when escaping the new EMMI robots. The adventure sure is classic, but all the elements here are pushed to their limits, for the better. What a ride.

God is a Geek (9/10):
Metroid Dread is nearly the perfect return for Samus, and only some difficulty spikes rain on the parade. This is a tight, responsive 2D Metroid experience that constantly impresses and surprises in equal measure and is the perfect way to launch the new Switch model.

Jeuxvideo.com (18/20, review in French):
Whether you are a newbie or a fan of the series, Metroid Dread is a must-have for any Nintendo Switch owner.

PCMag (4.5/5):
Metroid Dread for the Nintendo Switch is a worthy holder of the title "Metroid 5." Its sprawling world begs you to explore every inch of it, and while it keeps Samus Returns' control elements, they feel much better on the Switch. This is a proper Metroid 5, and that's more than enough to make it an Editors’ Choice pick for Switch games.

IGN Spain (9/10, review in Spanish):
Metroid Dread is pure love for the franchise. It takes the elements of the classic 2D games and unites them with the evolving essence of Metroid Fusion, introducing many others that work perfectly. It doesn't give off such a magical aura and there are things to improve, but it establishes itself as one of the best games on the console.

Metro GameCentral (9/10):
Metroid Dread is a culmination of everything the series has been up to this point but afterwards it needs to evolve into something genuinely new. Whether that will be Metroid Prime 4, or if the first person games will continue to be regarded more as spin-offs, remains to be seen but if this is a send off for the 2D Metroid games as a whole then it’s the best one anyone could’ve asked for.

Meristation (9/10, review in Spanish):
Nintendo teams up again with MercurySteam to bring us the first unreleased adventure of Samus Aran in side scrolling (remakes aside) since the premiere of Metroid Fusion in 2002. The pressure was not little, but Metroid Dread is up to the task. For the control, which lets us handle the bounty hunter in her most agile and precise version; by the design, which branches and extends to offer hours of exploration without taking us by the hand; and for the selection of bosses, who take advantage of the best combat of the saga in its 2D aspect. The robots E.M.M.I. They may test the patience of some players, but they create situations of genuine tension and development doses them enough. So fans of Metroidvania are in luck: Metroid Dread lives up to the saga that popularized this genre in the first place. Now we only have to ask that we don't have to wait another 19 years for the next one.

Hobby Consolas (90/100, review in Spanish):
Metroid Dread surpasses all our expectations and has everything we could have ask for: exploration, impressive action sequences, great atmosphere, tension and the best Samus incarnation. If we look at it as a metroidvania it doesn't reach the same level of greatness as some of the finest examples of the genre... But it comes close.

Gamer.nl (9/10, review in Dutch):
Metroid Dread combines the old, trusted Metroid formula with enough fresh ideas to revive the 35-year-old series. Never before has Samus been so fluidly controlled and the action so spectacular. The EMMI is an exciting break from standard exploration, but every part of Metroid is equally well thought out. However, optional upgrades hardly add anything in most cases and it doesn't want to be as free as Super Metroid. They are minor missteps for a game that puts Metroid back on the map.

Digital Trends (4.5/5):
Metroid Dread is the exact jolt of energy the Metroid series needed. What’s 19 years old feels new again thanks to sharp gameplay additions that enhance both battles and exploration. It especially excels in its atmosphere and storytelling, creating an Alien-esque sci-fi horror story that takes the franchise’s space opera to eerie new heights. The queen is back to remind us who puts the Metroid in Metroidvania.

SpazioGames (9/10, review in Italian):
It took a bit longer than expected, but Metroid Dread simply is Metroid at its finest: with a smartly crafted level design that explains why this legendary saga became a reference point, this new Samus’ adventure embodies all the features Metroid fans love.

Filmweb (9/10, review in Polish):
MercurySteam did it again. “Metroid Dread” does an amazing job of mixing tradition with novelties and manages to add some fresh mechanics to the well known gameplay formula. Exploration is satisfying and intense while also give the sense of freedom and accomplishment to the player. Spanish team created a sequel for the “Fusion” that lives up to the its cult predecessor.

Enternity.gr (9/10, review in Greek):
If you are in the category of oldschool gamers waiting for the first Metroid prototype after 11 years, Metroid Dread will tick all the boxes for you.

PPE.pl (9/10, review in Polish):
Metroid Dread is another very strong production in the Nintendo Switch catalog ... But it's hard not to get the impression that this is a game "from fans to fans" – MercurySteam fulfilled yoshio Sakamoto's vision and the developers perfectly fulfilled this task.

IGN Portugal (9/10, review in Portuguese):
From the memorable bosses, to the harrowing encounters with the E.M.M.I. all painted by an artistic direction that takes the most from Nintendo Switch, making Metroid Dread one of the best of 2021.

VGChartz (9/10):
Between the rock solid exploration and atmosphere, the incredible boss fights, and the solid tension building of the EMMIs, Dread is probably the definitive 2D Metroidvania of the 21st century.

Cubed3 (9/10):
A thrilling chapter for players who have been looking up to the stars for decades, and a compelling tale for adventurers new to the series!

Power Unlimited (90/100, review in Dutch):
Anyway, all these negatives really only stand out if you place Dread in the pantheon of previous Metroid classics and then compare very closely. Because what I mainly want to communicate is that those Spaniards have done the impossible: creating a really good, classic Metroid! And that in a world in which the term metroidvania hardly raises any question marks. With production values of 2021, wow! So make a few more, MercurySteam; I promise I will never doubt you again. And… please don't take twenty years, okay?

Hey Poor Player (4.5/5):
Metroid Dread is a must-own for any Metroidvania fan. Featuring some of the best 2D combat I’ve ever played and a world dying to be explored, I couldn’t put it down until I reached the thrilling conclusion. Its difficulty and atmosphere help it live up to its namesake but never chased me away. There are minor issues, but nothing that stops this from being one of 2021’s best.

iMore (4.5/5):
Strong gameplay, visuals and audio propel Metroid Dread to be the best 2D game in the series, though dated map design and lack of accessibility bring the experience down a bit.

GameSkinny (9/10):
Metroid finally returns with a new sequel, and it’s exactly what we expect from the series. It’s a fine return to form for Samus with a huge world to explore but definitely doesn’t reinvent the wheel.

Nintendo Insider (9/10):
Metroid Dread stands as a phenomenal achievement. From project dormancy to becoming a sci-fi spectacle, MercurySteam has delivered a Game of the Year contender that’s quite capable of unleashing a Charge Blast to keep away the competition. A game like this deserves to be celebrated, and I can only hope that it has continued to lay the groundwork for more adventures with the intergalactic bounty hunter to come.

Nintendo Enthusiast (9/10):
Dread is a stellar sequel to Fusion and a triumphant return that easily ranks among the best in the 2D series.

GamingTrend (90/100):
Metroid Dread is yet another fantastic return to form for Samus. ZDR is an absolute blast to explore with secrets everywhere and satisfying bosses to fight. However, the game is held back by some strange design decisions, areas that blend together, and controls that are far too complicated.

Inverse (9/10):
We’ve seen Metroidvania games like Hollow Knight nail the formula in recent years, but Metroid Dread proves there’s nothing better than the franchise that started it all.

Worth Playing (9/10):
Metroid Dread is a fantastic return to form for the 2D Metroid titles. Building upon the lessons of Samus Returns, it captures the feel of Metroid nearly perfectly. It's incredibly fun to play, balances the story and gameplay in the way a Metroid game should, and in general, it's just excellent. Its few flaws stood out more in retrospect than while I was playing the game. It's easily one of the best 2D Metroid titles, and it's a fantastic way to close out the ongoing storyline.

Hardcore Gamer (4.5/5):
Metroid Prime 4 may still be years away, but make no mistake that MercurySteam and Nintendo’s latest incarnation of Metroid has made the strain of such a wait not just more bearable, but potentially no longer existent. Sure to please longtime fans and general Switch owners/newcomers alike, Metroid Dread more than delivers on a climax two decades in the making.

Forbes (9/10):
Overall, Metroid Dread brings a narrative close to a decades long story with excellent level design and combat. It also looks great as well. So until Samus Aran is needed once again to save the Galactic Federation, I am happy to just savour the joy of another successfully completed mission.

Video Chums (8.9/10):
Metroid Dread is one of the best Metroidvania games out there with its awesome collection of abilities and its action-packed E.M.M.I. areas. It may not provide as much challenge as old-school fans would expect but it's still an undeniably incredible adventure.

Wccftech (8.8/10):
Metroid Dread proves that the Metroid franchise is still ready to innovate the genre it helped build with exciting new ideas. While it hasn't taken on all the lessons from newcomers that have filled in since its absence, it doesn't feel like an outsider looking in.

COGconnected (88/100):
Metroid games have always had trace elements of sci-fi horror in them, and Metroid Dread is no different. Rather than inject the series with new levels of fear and tension, Dread seeks to highlight the latent spookiness already present. To that end, it works! That familiar sense of powerlessness and fear is given new life in this game. Suddenly your initial state of weakness has greater narrative weight. Furthermore, the lateral expansion of your move set feels like a natural conclusion. Every victory is one you clawed and fought for with all your might. Each new stage is filled with fresh dangers to keep you moving with an abundance of caution and care. Even the complex controls and the punishing boss fights are in service to this vision. Metroid Dread takes small, but significant, steps to expand and innovate upon the established series formula. Metroid and Metroidvania fans alike won't want to miss this entry.

Press Start Australia (8.5/10):
Metroid Dread feels like a celebration of 2D Metroid. It manages to stay true to the original games, whilst also introducing some new elements that keeps things feeling fresh. The game is held back by some questionable level design, the E.M.M.I feeling repetitive and a definite knowledge barrier for series newcomers.

WellPlayed (8.5/10):
An intoxicating power climb, top-notch level design and a fear-inducing hook make this an incredibly compelling and long overdue side-scrolling Metroid sequel. It struggles with sticking too closely to the roots of its decades-old predecessors and could definitely learn a thing or two from contemporary Metroidvanias, but it's a blast all the same.

Destructoid (8.5/10):
Metroid Dread doesn’t take a lot of big swings, but it rarely bats a foul ball. You can tell this was carefully crafted with existing fans in mind, but it’s not so heady that newcomers wouldn’t be able to pick it up. While we wait for proof of life from Metroid Prime 4, you can journey with Samus in another reliable adventure right now.

GAMES.CH (85%, review in German):
Metroid Dread is a dignified sequel to a sacred games series. The almost invincible E.M.M.I. can be annoying, but other than that, you get a fully-fleshed metroidvania that combines new mechanics with traditional Metroid gameplay in the best sense.

GamePro Germany (85%, review in German):
25 years after the start of the 2D saga, Samus is in perfect shape and has tied us to the Switch for many hours.

Millenium (85/100, review in French):
With Metroid Dread, Mercury Steam brings a satisfying conclusion to 35 years of history. It's a particularly solid metroidvania, which will make you thrill at every revelation and sweat at every boss fight, while distilling a level-design mastered like never before. However, its main and only innovation, embodied by the E.M.M.I., prevents the title from reaching the pantheon of the genre, which is already full of quality titles: more frustrating than stressful, the mechanics and areas related to the robots of the galactic federation are far from convincing us.

Nintendo Blast (8.5/10, review in Portuguese):
In the end, Metroid Dread maintains the 2D essence of the series in an immersive adventure, it's just a shame that the opportunity to dare a little was wasted.

But Why Tho? (8.5/10):
Metroid Dread is not only an excellent game and return of a beloved franchise, it’s emblematic of everything that defined the genre in the first place in a way that many modern Metroidvanias simply aren’t. Its exploration, upgrading, and re-exploration are never spoonfed to you and feel constantly like great accomplishments with great difficulty scaling and thrilling new mechanics and atmosphere.

Switch Italia (8.5/10, review in Italian):
Some graphical artifact and some difficulty spike can't ruin the overall experience, able to offer dynamic combat, good world exploration, new elements within the spirit of the franchise and a great travel through the lore of the Metroid universe. Samus is back!

Seasoned Gaming (8.5/10):
Metroid Dread provided me some of the most fun I’ve had in video games this year and is absolutely a game that deserves a seat right next to its siblings in the series.

Cerealkillerz (8.2/10, review in German):
Metroid Dread scores with well-established strengths of the series and delivers exciting bossfights and a well thought through leveldesign. Sadly the attempts of the game to create a tense atmosphere fail most of the time and the technical limits of the Nintendo Switch hold the title back from reaching its full potential.

GameSpot (8/10):
More than anything else, Metroid Dread feels like going back to a place of comfort after a long time away. Though the gameplay is refined and new features have been added to the mix, Dread sticks closely to the formula of its predecessors. In the end, for longtime fans like myself, that's probably for the best. There's nothing to dread here. We're home again.

VG247 (4/5):
Metroid Dread is likely to give those that have been counting down the days to its release exactly what they want: a thrilling experience in line with what they loved about past games. There are original ideas here - but they’re better considered as evolutions of what came before rather than anything groundbreaking. There’s stumbles here and there with the difficulty and progression signposting, but all of that feels very Metroid. Dread is no Super Metroid, but that game is a stone-cold all-timer. Putting that game aside, Dread is up to the series standard, and is well worth a look.

Vooks (4/5):
It's a cliché, but Metroid Dread won't be a game for everyone. If you like a game that doesn't hold your hand at all, is brutally difficult, requires precision from every movement and busts your back, you'll love Samus' latest mission. If not, your experience will vary depending on how much you can put up with the genre’s pitfalls and what might be considered obtuse design decisions. Metroid Dread almost broke me several times, but it might just be what you're after. It took a while, but Samus is back, and hopefully not going away for so long this time.

SECTOR.sk (8/10):
Metroid Dread is good, but it could use a lot of gameplay balance to make the game better.

Pocket Tactics (8/10):
Let’s get to the point: is Metroid still relevant in 2021? The answer is yes. While Dread doesn’t bring anything new to the table, and sticks very closely to the tried-and-true formula, it’s a well-balanced Metroidvania that will please fans that have waited 17 years for the true return of Samus.

Daily Mirror (4/5):
Metroid Dread masterfully combines the atmosphere, classic exploration, boss battles and platforming of the original, with enhanced graphics and a faster, more responsive Samus than ever. While it does follow the Metroid formula to some extent, the refinements and extra layer of added tension make the game the more gripping Metroid game in the franchise. Metroid Dread perfectly blends combat, exploration and pursuit, its brilliant cat and mouse dynamic that adds a welcome addition to the Metroid gameplay.

Pocket Gamer UK (4/5):
Metroid Dread is a slick and intense platform-adventure, and the most exciting Switch game Nintendo has produced in quite some time.

Kakuchopurei (80/100):
All I’m saying is welcome back, Samus. We’ve missed you. While your latest escapades are just a step below the original Super Metroid, it’s still a noteworthy adventure that’s definitely above the rest of its peers.

WayTooManyGames (8/10):
Metroid Dread is, well, another 2D Metroid, and that is worth celebrating if you’re a fan of the franchise. It will not, by any means, convert newcomers into die-hard fans of the series, given how it assumes you’ve played its predecessors right from the get-go, but it offers a crap ton of fanservice and excellent level design for those who know what to expect from a Metroid game. If only it didn’t have so many obnoxious stealth horror sections that did nothing but halt my overall enjoyment with it, this could have challenged Super Metroid as to which entry in the series is the greatest of all time.

KeenGamer (8/10):
Metroid has officially returned to its pedestal of greatness among Nintendo's finest. Powerfully efficient in its details and ruthless in its effort to make the player writhe in agony. While not the greatest heights the franchise has ever seen, it's more than polished enough to be a respected and beloved addition to the franchise. While it marks the end of the original timeline, the future is vast and endless, and Dread marks the potential for a markedly improved vision of the genre. While the Switch has more than enough must-buys already, this is yet another. Just be warned that it takes no prisoners.

Telegraph (4/5):
It’s terrific stuff, though it may prove a little strenuous for newcomers at times. Metroid has always been one of Nintendo’s more ‘hardcore’ pursuits and Dread looks to make a virtue of this in a challenging and often esoteric adventure. But whether you are new or a Metroid old-hand, there is no doubting the craft here. A welcome return for one of gaming’s most stylish heroes.

Rely On Horror (8/10):
While Metroid Dread is undoubtedly one of the best Metroidvania games in recent years, it still has a few pitfalls that make it less impressive than many of the other newer games of this style that have been released in the last 20 years. It’s still a very worthwhile experience and easily one of the best titles in the entire series, if not the best overall, but it leaves a little bit to be desired compared to its more modern peers.

Everyeye.it (7.8/10, review in Italian):
With some extra ideas, less repetition and a little more character in artistic terms, the result could have been be different and even more rounded. However, it is always fascinating to find Samus on our screens, in a franchise that deserves more than it usually gets (starting with the Big N).

Digitally Downloaded (3.5/5):
I left Metroid Dread feeling quite conflicted about it. On the one hand, I do think it is fundamentally well designed, and the main gameplay element - the robot stalkers - are woven into the Metroid formula beautifully. On the other hand, that Metroid formula is getting long in the tooth and Dread doesn't do nearly enough to revitalise it. Dread is fine. It's not just nearly memorable enough for a game that fans have been waiting so many years for now.

Launcher (7/10):
“Metroid Dread” was always going to struggle against its own legacy. I can’t help but think of what we’ve been missing since Nintendo left its wildly innovative spin-off “Metroid Prime” series to languish for the last 14 years. Nintendo has promised a fourth game in the main line series, and that kind of fresh look at the Metroidvania genre demands a revisit. “Metroid Dread” is a good Metroid-style game, but does little more.

GamesRadar (3.5/5):
Metroid Dread's often idiosyncratic approach to combat and control has a wide-reaching impact on what this 2D adventure can ultimately achieve. There's a great game buried in here, but you'll need to constantly push through some frustrating encounters and points of friction to find it. This isn't the return Metroid deserved after Fusion, but after 19 years perhaps it's no surprise that Samus Aran is a little off her game.

Last edited:
ef9.gif

Honestly most of the time I don't care that much about the critical reception side of things, even if I find it interesting to read a bunch of different perspectives on the games I buy, and I know I'm buying Dread no matter what, but... I really, really hope Dread gets rave reviews. This is the best shot Metroid has had at success for 20 years and strong reviews, while not essential, will help with that, I think.

first review thread on the new forum! be nice everyone and don't lose your sh*t if you disagree with someone's score/opinion.

first review thread on the new forum! be nice everyone and don't lose your sh*t if you disagree with someone's score/opinion.
89????!!!!??!! Trash game.

this is sarcasm

Back
Top Bottom