• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Metroid Dread | Review Thread

I'm gonna disappoint you right here. Metroid is one of my least favorite Nintendo franchises, hated even and I don't like metroidvania in general. Hated Samus Returns and I'm skipping Dread too. Though I'm happy that people are getting what they wanted.
Why would you come into this thread to telegraph your perennially abysmal taste

There's insane amount of hype around right now and it's impossible to escape.

Hell I might even get the game.
You don't seem very committed in your dislike of Metroidvanias. Come join me in trying to embrace this genre, I'm hoping this game will be the one that clicks for me.

I'm gonna disappoint you right here. Metroid is one of my least favorite Nintendo franchises, hated even and I don't like metroidvania in general. Hated Samus Returns and I'm skipping Dread too. Though I'm happy that people are getting what they wanted.
You and me both know Disco Elysium is the better October game, indeed.

There's insane amount of hype around right now and it's impossible to escape.

Hell I might even get the game. Exact why I got Samus Returns int he first place.
You should buy a copy just to spite the hype.

Hell, buy two.

Anyone else who's not getting it until Tuesday that wants to grieve with me?

I'm legitimately considering buying it a second time because otherwise I have to wait until Christmas (originally my work contract expired next week and I expected to be going back to the UK from Germany alas (???) it got extended and so I'm in a different country to where my limited edition will be shipped to).

I am not a responsible adult with money.

(I could get a dread mousemat if i order it from Saturn!)

What a negative nancy
KMR6GoFBQxd4.png
so what they're saying is it would be higher if it was called betroid

The music might kill this for me. It was one of my favorite parts of Super Metroid
You started with the best atmosphere and music. Only downhill from there!

Fwiw, I only think Super and Zero Mission have great music from the more "modern" games (aka not OG Metroid and Return of Samus). Fusion and SR are mostly forgettable in their music, though Fusion's ice theme gives me the creeps.
We’ll probably never get another 90 game from Nintendo until BotW 2 or Bayonetta 3 lol. The games we know so far won’t get a 90. Pokémon Legends has a very small chance.
Yup lol, I'm not expecting a 90 MC until Prime Remake or BOTW 2. MP4 as well. Bayo will probably score around Astral Chain or slightly worse, I just have a feeling

I am once again asking everyone to buy Metroid Dread.
- Bernie Sanders, probably

I knew it would get an 88. I was on point lmao.

This year may not have a game that breaks the 90 barrier.

We’ll probably never get another 90 game from Nintendo until BotW 2 or Bayonetta 3 lol. The games we know so far won’t get a 90. Pokémon Legends has a very small chance.
Yeah, sounds about right. I think Pokémon Legends will be around 85, so Bayo 3 is my best guess for the next 90 Nintendo game.

Well I expected an 87 MC and 89 OC, so the average of those is exactly where Dread stands haha. I'm very satisfied!

You started with the best atmosphere and music. Only downhill from there!

Fwiw, I only think Super and Zero Mission have great music from the more "modern" games (aka not OG Metroid and Return of Samus). Fusion and SR are mostly forgettable in their music, though Fusion's ice theme gives me the creeps.

Yup lol, I'm not expecting a 90 MC until Prime Remake or BOTW 2. MP4 as well. Bayo will probably score around Astral Chain or slightly worse, I just have a feeling
Tbh I see Prime Remake scoring worse considering how Remakes usually end up when they are reviewed.

I mean in general there are very few 90 games at all this year, none on Open Critic and only a couple on Metacritic with low review numbers. 90+ MC is just exceedingly rare nowadays as review scores are more critical than they were even 5 years ago

Bayo 3 looks a little janky, at least graphics wise so im not 100% sure about that

Metro GameCentral (9/10):
Metroid Dread is a culmination of everything the series has been up to this point but afterwards it needs to evolve into something genuinely new. Whether that will be Metroid Prime 4, or if the first person games will continue to be regarded more as spin-offs, remains to be seen but if this is a send off for the 2D Metroid games as a whole then it’s the best one anyone could’ve asked for.

Sold my Switch to wait for the 4k version(performance issues and resolution were really bothering me) I'm sad that I can't play it right now. :(
Though I wouldn't have time anyway...

Tbh I see Prime Remake scoring worse considering how Remakes usually end up when they are reviewed.
That could totally happen. If it's an ambitious, gorgeous remake/remaster of a game that originally scored a 97, I can still maybe see it barely cracking 90. We'll see!
Atmosphere is a strong suit of the series though. Fusion has incredible atmosphere as well, despite it not being my favorite 2D Metroid. I would say Samus Returns has the weakest atmosphere and music thus far, though it seems Dread's music might fall into that camp as well.

I'm hearing plenty of reviewers saying the ambient music works well, though - just not distinctly memorable tracks besides boss fights

Digital Trends (4.5/5):
Metroid Dread is the exact jolt of energy the Metroid series needed. What’s 19 years old feels new again thanks to sharp gameplay additions that enhance both battles and exploration. It especially excels in its atmosphere and storytelling, creating an Alien-esque sci-fi horror story that takes the franchise’s space opera to eerie new heights. The queen is back to remind us who puts the Metroid in Metroidvania.

Not people ITT acting like 88 is a disappointment or a bad score lmao.

I'm begging people to stop worrying so much about numbers. The overwhelming consensus is that this is a great and worthy entry in the franchise.

Tbf this was the first showing. I’m sure it’ll look better when we see it again.

Agreed. I rarely put a lot of stock into early gameplay/trailers as far as graphics are concerned. Hopefully the final product will look fantastic.

I hate when the unscored reviews are glowing, like damn help the meta out 😭😭
Console Creatures (recommended):
Metroid Dread is hauntingly beautiful and dreadfully terrifying, giving us one of the best experiences on the Nintendo Switch. Bolstered by the gorgeous new OLED model, planet ZDR is a dreary place that will make your skin crawl at times. Fans of the older games, particularly Super Metroid will resonate with Dread. It only took two decades but the conclusion of the Metroid saga is satisfying, delivering one of the best experiences yet. There’s a reason we’ve classified an entire genre of games as Metroidvania – the queen cannot be toppled, and Metroid Dread is a shining example of how the original is always better.

Not people ITT acting like 88 is a disappointment or a bad score lmao.

I'm begging people to stop worrying so much about numbers. The overwhelming consensus is that this is a great and worthy entry in the franchise.
It would've been fun to see the first 90MC game of the year. It's kinda crazy that there hasn't been one yet.

Happy for Metroid. I gotta admit I doubted Mercury Steam a little, but I'm glad they delivered.

We’re at a super high 88 right now, hopefully a few more can boost it up at least to 89!

I had never played Metroid before. Everyone's hype for Dread got me curious and I played Super Metroid last week on NSO and absolutely loved it! I fly to Germany on Friday, so I look forward to bringing my new Switch OLED with Dread to keep me busy on the long flight 😊

My god, all but one of the unscored reviews are euphoric lmao, gotta pump those numbers up!!

An 88 is fantastic obviously

Back
Top Bottom