• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Metroid Dread | Review Thread

Reviewers please.

Lm93KRM.gif

88 on Open Critic should go up once the 10s get in. There's one review there that scored the game a 3.5/5 (7). That will probably the lowest score the game will have.

Low 90s seems possible.

Im glad i havent seen any trailers or info of this game, only saw some side eye glimpses in directs want to go in compactly surprised, happy the reviews are looking good

I almost feel like saying 'as expected' because it all looked superb, but to now see it confirmed...SAMUS IS BACK

In any case, that's a great series of scores, even though it's expected from how well Samus Returns reviewed.

Mercury Steam and Nintendo are gonna have a good long partnership, for sure.

Looking good, I just saw the Nintendo life review and I will stop checking more reviews for now. Friday cannot come soon enough

I'm surprised. Finished the game last night and it's my least favorite metroid. Reviews are like looking into a different reality.

Eurogamer (essential):
This is a modern Metroid, a 2D adventure delivered with triple-A panache, yet one that retains the grace and poise that's always marked the highlights of this series, and marked it out from its many imitators. How blessed we are to have Samus properly back, and what a marvel it is to be reminded how special Metroid can be. The wait, I'm delighted to say, was somehow worth it.

Screen Rant (5/5):
Metroid Dread is an instant classic. Its seamless blend of exploration, combat, puzzle-solving, and light touches of story creates one of the most engaging experiences on Nintendo Switch. Samus Aran's journey has been through its ups and downs, but the mesospheric high of Metroid Dread is evidence there is so, so much more left for the bounty hunter to accomplish, and another adventure can't come soon enough.

Player 2 (9.1/10):
Metroid Dread is a truly exceptional return to the spotlight for the franchise and Samus Aran. Having been somewhat lost in the wilderness for the better part of a decade, the pair of Nintendo and MercurySteam has worked wonders for the franchise. Some balancing issues erode at the unbelievable foundation of the game, but dread about the future of Metroid no longer, Samus is back in style.

Everyone, do yourselves a favor and buy this game. Doesn't matter if you've never played a Metroid game before. Buy. This. Game.

Yeah I don't see it getting back to 90. Damn, we could've had the first 90 of the year.

damn, 88 on both

I was hoping for above 90 but y'know, it is a 2D game in 2021

It's the year of the 88, it's crazy how many games end up on that score.

I can already predict SMTV will receive a 88 too!

Reckon the only one with a chance left to break through the 90 barrier this year is... Forza Horizon 5 I guess? But a lot has changed since FH3 and FH4 got 90+. Perhaps Endwalker if it's a worthy end to the saga.

90 was always going to be next to impossible; all it needs is two 7/10s and it basically becomes impossible.

These days, given review scores seem to average lower than they used to, I think median score is often a better metric. Dread has 8 reviews below 88, 2 at 88, 15 at 90, and 8 above 90 (as of right now with 33 reviews). That gives a median score of 90, comfortably so in fact.

Not enough 10s for a 90+ score, oh well. I'll live.

Everyone, do yourselves a favor and buy this game. Doesn't matter if you've never played a Metroid game before. Buy. This. Game.
I'm gonna disappoint you right here. Metroid is one of my least favorite Nintendo franchises, hated even and I don't like metroidvania in general. Hated Samus Returns and I'm skipping Dread too. Though I'm happy that people are getting what they wanted.

I need Nintendo to post my collector's edition and I need Amazon to send my damn OLED.

I'm gonna disappoint you right here. Metroid is one of my least favorite Nintendo franchises, hated even and I don't like metroidvania in general. Hated Samus Returns and I'm skipping Dread too. Though I'm happy that people are getting what they wanted.
why are you skipping it?

Back
Top Bottom