• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Metroid Dread | Review Thread

Yeah there were a few times that I kinda questioned the design of an area but that was certainly not one.

Hidden blocks are core to the DNA of Metroid, those complaints about them are ridiculous.
I'd argue it is a legitimate complaint when there really aren't any good tells for if you should be shooting in an area. Like, in older Metroid games that sort of thing can happen quite a bit and it's just kinda annoying. However, I don't think I can recall such an instance in Dread, the game is pretty good at telegraphing when you should be shooting the scenery.

I'd argue it is a legitimate complaint when there really aren't any good tells for if you should be shooting in an area. Like, in older Metroid games that sort of thing can happen quite a bit and it's just kinda annoying. However, I don't think I can recall such an instance in Dread, the game is pretty good at telegraphing when you should be shooting the scenery.
There is an enemy on ceiling giving you hints as well as the map blinks when there is hidden blocks

Heh, I wouldn't particularly call Metroid Dread an AAA. Heck, I wouldn't even call Tropical Freeze AAA and that game had a strong budget.

Also, the reason why you have so many people having a hard time understanding why Metroid is 60 dollars is that they are used to 2D games at like 20 to 30 bucks with 40 being the maximum. However, these same people don't realize 2D games from Nintendo are always priced high. In fact, I would go to say 2D games are priced lower than they should be like Hollow Knight imo.

Maybe you could make the argument that 2D games were cheaper on the Wii U

Still, why make a commotion out of it? Like if you don't think it's worth it ok, but don't go around dunking on others.
Hmmmm I dunno. It definitely is probably a confirmation bias thing, so it's probably just an uneducated opinion coming from me, but I feel Dread is a lot more high budget/graphically impressive, even by the higher standards of 2021/the Switch, than Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was on the Wii U in 2014. Again, though, it might just be confirmation bias, because I always felt certain parts of the graphics/art style of DKC:TF weren't nearly as detailed as I'd like them to be, or as a lot of people said they were. There's parts of Dread where I legit wonder how taxing the lighting/shadows were for the Switch, or that some atmospheric moments are among the most beautiful on the system. I never felt that way with DKC:TF on the Wii U. But even setting aside the graphics, DKC:TF got very little marketing compared to Dread. I'd say Dread is closer to AAA than it, even though it doesn't matter.
I think Metroid Dread is the most AAA any 2D game ever got. Big budget, lengthy dev cycle(4 years), heavy marketing by Nintendo, and everything more. It got more marketing than DKTF. Marketing wise the only 2D games I think would surpass it would be 2D Super Mario, Mario Maker and Smash Bros. of course.
As other people have said, the western measure of what AAA is wouldn't apply to Nintendo as no game by them sans Smash Bros and Animal Crossing, due to post launch content, would exceed the 100 million dollars barrier. Yet some games like Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild probably did so if we include marketing.
But if you're including Smash Bros, wouldn't that by far be the most "AAA" 2D game ever? I mean, even not including the post-launch content, the marketing and licensing alone probably almost exceeds Dread's budget, if it doesn't already. And honestly, Smash IS one of the better looking games on the Switch.

There is an enemy on ceiling giving you hints as well as the map blinks when there is hidden blocks
Yeah I'm not saying it's a problem Dread has, the video pretty clearly showcases the telegraph in that instance and I can't recall an instance where there isn't a similar telegraph

But I'm also saying that if those telegraph's weren't there, then that's arguably bad design even if it is a standard feature of Metroid. It's one of my few problems with how Super is designed even though that game does do its telegraphs well enough.

Yeah there were a few times that I kinda questioned the design of an area but that was certainly not one.

Hidden blocks are core to the DNA of Metroid, those complaints about them are ridiculous.
I honestly don't think it's an unreasonable complaint, but it's far from a dealbreaker either. I kind of hope Metroid moves away from hidden blocks being a part of the critical path in future games. Especially if the item that allows you to scan a room for them continues to be a late-game pickup.

Dread is still a masterpiece, of course.

Hmmmm I dunno. It definitely is probably a confirmation bias thing, so it's probably just an uneducated opinion coming from me, but I feel Dread is a lot more high budget/graphically impressive, even by the higher standards of 2021/the Switch, than Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was on the Wii U in 2014. Again, though, it might just be confirmation bias, because I always felt certain parts of the graphics/art style of DKC:TF weren't nearly as detailed as I'd like them to be, or as a lot of people said they were. There's parts of Dread where I legit wonder how taxing the lighting/shadows were for the Switch, or that some atmospheric moments are among the most beautiful on the system. I never felt that way with DKC:TF on the Wii U. But even setting aside the graphics, DKC:TF got very little marketing compared to Dread. I'd say Dread is closer to AAA than it, even though it doesn't matter.

But if you're including Smash Bros, wouldn't that by far be the most "AAA" 2D game ever? I mean, even not including the post-launch content, the marketing and licensing alone probably almost exceeds Dread's budget, if it doesn't already. And honestly, Smash IS one of the better looking games on the Switch.
Oh, of course. Licensing and development of base game alone would be the highest budget ever for any 2D game, including marketing, post launch development and licensing, it's probably the highest budget EVER for any Nintendo game. The only game that might surpass it eventually is Animal Crossing New Horizons.

10/10
THERE WE HAVE IT! ANOTHER 10/10 TO BOOST THE METASCORE! Okay I feel pride to be a Brazilian now(and that's a really, really rare feeling), Switch Brasil is absolutely a great site.

90 IS COMING!!!!!!

Switch Brazil and EZA both uploaded to metacritic. The journey to 90 MC might actually be decided by Edge lmao
Would a 9 from Edge even do it or would it have to be a 10? I guess that's hard to determine without knowing MC's algorithm

Edge is heavily weighed on Metacritic, so an 8 would probably ensure it stays at 89, whereas a 9 or 10 would make 90 a real possibility.

My gut tells me Edge will give Dread an 8.
I hate that I'm such a fanboy to this damned franchise that I even care lol, I swear I don't care about Metacritic at all 99% of the time, I just want Dread to be even more celebrated than it already is 😭

Edge is heavily weighed on Metacritic, so an 8 would probably ensure it stays at 89, whereas a 9 or 10 would make 90 a real possibility.

My gut tells me Edge will give Dread an 8.
Agreed, but Edge loves inventive level design and games with great game feel - both of which Dread has in spades.

I honestly think it’ll come down to how they feel about the EMMI

I honestly don't think it's an unreasonable complaint, but it's far from a dealbreaker either. I kind of hope Metroid moves away from hidden blocks being a part of the critical path in future games. Especially if the item that allows you to scan a room for them continues to be a late-game pickup.

Dread is still a masterpiece, of course.
I'd rather they lean into it but replace the clearly marked blocks with much more logical and organic barriers. Kinda like how Prime did it by analyzing the material, though without having to scan it.

Maybe it's just me but when I get to a new room in a 2d Metroid game I shoot every inch of the walls, floor, and ceiling.

Edit: Axiom Verge as well.

Whereas it doesn't make literally any sense sales wise, the franchises that make the most sense to compare in terms of critical acclaim are 3D Mario and 3D Zelda. Edge gave both Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda Breath of the Wild 10. I think Metroid Dread, being a new mainline entry in a celebrated series, with great gameplay mechanics, top tier graphics and level design and everything really that you can expect, should receive a 9. Or even a 10. Bayonetta 2 got a 10 by them back when it was released.

Jeff said something about Samus and it's so true. I've always like Samus in every Metroid, but after Dread she's now one of my favorite characters ever.. Perfect characterization!

If you go to the 2021 list on Meta, you can literally see this game passing up all the other 89s as more reviews get put in, it’s SO close to 90 now.

I have a feeling this game is gonna get to 90 on MC and Edge will drop it right back down to 89. 😬

umIzzDB.png

They just needed a little focus and direction.

Is there a reason why some outlets don’t count on MC or others are held to higher value on there as opposed to actually treating each score as viable? I never understood MC as opposed to say, Rotten Tomatoes which is a percentile that’s clear cut, where a 70 just means 7 out of 10 gives thumbs up.

Is there a reason why some outlets don’t count on MC or others are held to higher value on there as opposed to actually treating each score as viable? I never understood MC as opposed to say, Rotten Tomatoes which is a percentile that’s clear cut, where a 70 just means 7 out of 10 gives thumbs up.
I guess because if Jaded "who the hell is he?" Alyx starts a lame wordpress blog tomorrow and gives every Nintendo game a 10, that might cause an issue.

hyperbole but yeh

I actually have no idea

I guess because if Jaded "who the hell is he?" Alyx starts a lame wordpress blog tomorrow and gives every Nintendo game a 10, that might cause an issue.

hyperbole but yeh

I actually have no idea
Well obviously I don’t mean that lol but a regular outlet that didn’t just pop up overnight whether it’s small or big.

Back
Top Bottom