• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Metroid Dread | Review Thread

Since yesterday, we had:

Gaming Bolt - 100
Forbes - 90
Noisy Pixel - 95
GameMAG - 80
GameOver.gr - 90
Washington Post - 90
Twinfinite - 100

Avg: 92,14

I'm assuming every outlet has the same weight, which I know it's not the case.

Since yesterday, we had:

Gaming Bolt - 100
Forbes - 90
Noisy Pixel - 95
GameMAG - 80
GameOver.gr - 90
Washington Post - 90
Twinfinite - 100

Avg: 92,14

I'm assuming every outlet has the same weight, which I know it's not the case.

Added right now Switch olayer with another 10, but no Twinfinite.

It counts on meta? 90 is really close

Updated:

Since yesterday, we had:

Gaming Bolt - 100
Forbes - 90
Noisy Pixel - 95
GameMAG - 80
GameOver.gr - 90
Washington Post - 90
Twinfinite - 100
Game Revolution - 90
Switch Player - 100

Metacritic: 89

Just out of curiosity, I was reading some reviews that gave Dread a 7 or similar and damn.... people really have no idea what constitutes a Metroid game.

I don't care about metacritic. But somehow I care now. This is a great game that deserve to be a best game of a year. Super has always been my top games and I think this is a better game.

I’m so glad Metroid: Dread is doing well commercially and critically. Metroid is a top 3 Nintendo series for me, and I arguably I like it more than The Legend of Zelda too.

I didn’t bother picking it up at launch since I wanted to take my time with it, plus I have too much to play as it is. I’m going to pick it up in December when I take time off of work so I can properly enjoy it.

It would be funny/sad if Twinfinite or something else ends up bringing Dread over the 90 mark and then Edge comes and brings it right back down to 89
That would be nightmare case scenario. But I think an 8 would maintain the 90, 9 or 10 would push it to 91, no? I don't think it's getting less than 8 tbh.

Come on, the Twinfinite 10 has to be added soon. That will be enough to get it to 90, right??? ... Right?????

What a great score for a great game. This should seriously pick up this year's GOTY award. Then the triumphant return of Metroid would truly be complete.

What a great score for a great game. This should seriously pick up this year's GOTY award. Then the triumphant return of Metroid would truly be complete.
TBH it deserves higher.

A few early reviews 7'ed it citing things like bad boss battles and controls when those are literally the best aspects of the game. They seem like they never even played it.

The game deserves about 93-95 in my eyes. One of the best games I've ever played.

TBH it deserves higher.

A few early reviews 7'ed it citing things like bad boss battles and controls when those are literally the best aspects of the game. They seem like they never even played it.

The game deserves about 93-95 in my eyes. One of the best games I've ever played.
Oh I absolutely agree. The controls are really tight and are designed in a way that it's really satisfying to speedrun this game. The boss battles range from perfectly fine to great.

It has all the hallmarks of an all-time classic: Great gameplay, replayability, player freedom, and is designed in ways that respect a player's intelligence.

It deserves a 90+, that's for sure.

Welp, finished my run at 100% on hard mode yesterday, now i'm in for a 0% run on normal.

Game is still incredible.

I'm not too much into ranks, but in preparation for Dread i.replayed and completed Zero Mission, Super Metroid and Fusion (didn't included Samus Returns because i have my 3ds locked in the storage room).

Overall, Dread is in my top 3 of the 2D saga, imho it's linearity is similar more to Zero Mission than Fusion, but with a subtle difference, the map, in Dread it marks red, blue, green door very clear, even shows some paths that you didn't explore in a subtle way, that not only makes exploration easier, but navigation through the linear path of the game, it makes the way more clear and has more sensation of linearity due to this.

But the entire design of the map is incredible from the top to the bottom, on of the best in the series, not only in it's levels, it's setting too.

It has the best and hardest bosses in the entire 2D saga, and controls like a dream.

As insaid, i played the 2D saga recently (less than a month), but right now it's impossible for me not putting Dread at the same level of Super Metroid or Zero Mission, even higher overall due to QOL improvements due to technology.

I've expected a quality game, but not this level of instant classic.

My 2 cents

#laturra

TBH it deserves higher.

Sounds like they tried to brute force the bosses, which absolutely would make this game way more frustrating and unintuitive. Definitely how I initially approached the bosses, but then learned their patterns and succeeded.

two 9s and a 10 today, still at 89.

wtf...
conspiracy-in-living-color.gif

Yo how is it STILL not rounding up to 90 yet? Lmao

At this rate, it might never reach it if EDGE gives it an 8 or worse :(

Sounds like they tried to brute force the bosses, which absolutely would make this game way more frustrating and unintuitive. Definitely how I initially approached the bosses, but then learned their patterns and succeeded.
It's painful watching streamers for that reason, especially when the boss check point is behind an obstacle that requires a specific item to get by it, they fail on the boss over and over, each time using the item to get back into the boss room, but then never using it in the fight.

Tbh Metroid is a difficult series so some people having issues with the game difficulty wise is only natural.

For some it may feel unintuitive unfortunately. I know people docked points on Tropical Freeze for its difficulty even tho that game is a masterpiece lol.

Getting to 90+ is a big ask. For every 8/10, you need a 10/10; for every 7/10 you need two 10/10s. Average scores become harder to move the higher you go for this reason. But it does very much seem like both the median and modal score is 90.

While I agree that this game deserves 90+ (whatever that means lol), I think we should all just be happy that this is a fucking incredible game which has seemingly received a rapturous reception, both critical and commercial.

Back
Top Bottom