• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Metroid Dread | Review Thread

Is The Guardian actually weighted so much that it's not possible for Dread to get a 90? What if Edge gives it a 9? Or multiple smaller outlets?

Kind of confused how we went from "highest 89 of all time" to "I just hope it stays at an 89" with so many reviews lol, but such is the nature of Metacritic I guess.

Is The Guardian actually weighted so much that it's not possible for Dread to get a 90? What if Edge gives it a 9? Or multiple smaller outlets?

Kind of confused how we went from "highest 89 of all time" to "I just hope it stays at an 89" with so many reviews lol, but such is the nature of Metacritic I guess.
I guess if EDGE gives it a 9 or a 10 it would have a good shot at a 90 still, but I think people gave up on EDGE scoring it that high long ago lol.

Lol The Guardian does game reviews?! Damn. I don't usually agree with their movie reviews either.

I don't know how anyone can give this game a 3/5.
It's the guardian so they would have
given it 5/5 for killing an evil fascist Donald Trump bird but a 1/5 for portraying immigrants as society destroying blobs, meet in the middle of those 2 and there's your 3/5

I don't know how anyone can give this game a 3/5.
A 3/5 is not a 6/10, no matter how much Metacritic's stupid equivalence makes it seem that way. 3 stars means it's a good game they were impressed by, but which had enough issues with it that held it back from transcending its own premise.

I don't agree with it, but it's not an unreasonable assessment of Dread.

A 3/5 is not a 6/10, no matter how much Metacritic's stupid equivalence makes it seem that way. 3 stars means it's a good game they were impressed by, but which had enough issues with it that held it back from transcending its own premise.

I don't agree with it, but it's not an unreasonable assessment of Dread.
Well I actually almost added that it is not a bad score in itseft. But for me this is just so good game that it is hart to see it getting under 4/5.

Is it bad of me to say that Great Britain has the worst taste in gaming?
Yes. That seems a little dramatic.

Now food, maybe we could agree with.
656194348802637834.png

What did The Guardian give the latest Fifa roster update? 5/5?

I also seem to remember most of Game of the year awards that didn't go to Breath of the Wild in 2017 were from UK outlets.
Loooooooooollllll

I mean I would totally dig if some 2017 GOTY's were given to Persona 5 and Super Mario Odyssey but I don't expect those to even have been nominated in UK then.

no cause it's true

As a former music chart nerd their music taste is terrible too & lets not even get into their food taste....

(sorry to any British folks on here)
Lady Gaga's Poker Face and Just Dance being the best selling singles of the digital era and staying toping charts for like two years was the last time UK commercially recognized art. And that was in 2008/2009.

Wait Psychonauts 2 is at 91? I thought there were no new games released this year that had hit 90+ yet.

that's not the version with the most reviews. usually for multiplatform games people consider the score of the version with the most reviews to be the games metascore.
There's actually one new game that meet the criteria! The PC version of Chicory has a 90 metascore and has enough reviews for a must-play badge!

A bummer that as of now it's both out of the Switch and also out of Game Pass / xCloud so I still did not play it, but it has a pretty talented team that includes the designer of Wandersong and the composer of Celeste so it's definitely on my radar

I've followed this thread these last few days -- not because I'm that interested in the metascore, but because it was quite fun following the ride hoping for the 90 score, haha.

With that said, I'm sad to see it's actually down to 88 at this point on meta. Sorry, folks, dream is d(r)ead. ;-(

88 is still a damn respectable score and the game has good word of mouth anyways so it's not as if it needed the higher score to get attention

Looks like IGN France 7/10 and Guardian 6/10 did the 90 dream in.

Oh well, but no matter. Amazing score still

Being the most positively received 8.8 in Nintendo history is cooler than just another 89 in the year of the 89 anyway.

I know Metacritic is worthless and everything and no one should care about MC scores but this The Guardian review is not even a review. In fact Iā€™m not sure if any of their game reviews are actually reviews. Basically it says that it feels good to play but itā€™s not good enough, the setting is uninspired and Hollow Knight is better. There is very little elaboration in their claims. It feels like some kind of briefing about what the game is with a sprinkle of opinion in there, while keeping it as succinct as possible. By reading this review you wouldnā€™t even know that in Metroid games you get power-ups in order to progress through previously unnaccesible areas. Meanwhile if you look at a regular game review, like say, IGNā€™s, regardless of the difference in score this one is much more valuable because it actually explains how Dread evolves from past Metroid games. You actually have a much better idea of what the game offers by reading that review. Even if it had a different opinion, it would have still been a good review because it would have actually explained better the context behind their claims. I donā€™t see that at all in The Guardianā€™s review

Read the Guardian review. Kinda got the vibe they didnā€™t really play much of it because itā€™s a general overview more than anything. Bosses were probably too difficult so the score was given out in frustration.

Read the Guardian review. Kinda got the vibe they didnā€™t really play much of it because itā€™s a general overview more than anything. Bosses were probably too difficult so the score was given out in frustration.

Review reads like was written by somenone that's not so udes to playing games.

This 88 is frustrating. Yes, it's a fantastic score, but many of the negative outlets are basically saying it's too hard. I'd never played a Metroid game in my life before this July, and I beat all 4 leading up to Dread. The final boss took me about 15 tries, and that one miniboss took me several tries as well, but the rest I either killed on the 1st try, 2nd try, or 3rd try lol. It's all about learning patterns. I don't think the game is nearly as hard as so many of these gaming outlets claim, and many of their criticisms are related to the "frustratingly difficult" bosses. I actually died more in Fusion!

I know this is all anecdotal, but as someone who isn't a diehard fan of this series by any means, I thought Dread was near-perfection :(

The game critics that gave Metroid Dread a bad review ruined their reputation in my eyes. The game is a straight up masterpiece.
Lol now that's just being silly. You're perfectly allowed to not like a game, even if it's highly rated or wins a ton of awards. Art is subjective after all

This 88 is frustrating. Yes, it's a fantastic score, but many of the negative outlets are basically saying it's too hard. I'd never played a Metroid game in my life before this July, and I beat all 4 leading up to Dread. The final boss took me about 15 tries, and that one miniboss took me several tries as well, but the rest I either killed on the 1st try, 2nd try, or 3rd try lol. It's all about learning patterns. I don't think the game is nearly as hard as so many of these gaming outlets claim, and many of their criticisms are related to the "frustratingly difficult" bosses.
As someone who likes the game, I found the bosses to be frustratingly difficult as well and that definitely negatively impacted my experience. An easy mode would've gone a long way towards making it a better time for me or maybe even the accessibility options in Celeste. It's not an invalid criticism by any means

The real 90 was the friends we made along the way :(
It was fun to dream alongside y'all

Anyways as others pointed it's the best 88 ever!!!

ā€œToo hardā€ claims are strange when Hollow Knight, a significantly harder game, is praised so much.

Shame it didnā€™t hit 90 - I just hope itā€™s enough of a success for Nintendo to kick off Metroid 6
But this is a Nintendo game, and I played Mario as a kid so if I can't do it, it must be the games fault.

Dark souls is allowed to be hard and if I can't do it then that just proves how hard it is, and why it deserves a 9

ā€œToo hardā€ claims are strange when Hollow Knight, a significantly harder game, is praised so much.

Shame it didnā€™t hit 90 - I just hope itā€™s enough of a success for Nintendo to kick off Metroid 6
I mean...I wouldn't be opposed to easier modes in other difficult games or even the sort of options that Celeste offered. Of course, I wouldn't say a game should be marked down for just being hard

Back
Top Bottom