• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Metaphor: ReFantazio announced by Atlus, releasing on Oct 11th [Read Staff Post]

Now this is real music

CphT240.png

This game looks terrible, but it looks terrible in a way that suggests more a lack of programming skill than aiming at weak hardware so I would guess that's why it's not coming to Switch.

FyXGD1HacAA35ve.png
It kinda reminds me of HD Texture packs for old PC games.

Like way too much detail on some of the textures for no reason.
But then parts of the buildings that are higher up look low res.
It just looks unpolished I think.

But I guess they still have some time until release.

It kinda reminds me of HD Texture packs for old PC games.

Like way too much detail on some of the textures for no reason.
But then parts of the buildings that are higher up look low res.
It just looks unpolished I think.

But I guess they still have some time until release.
Yeah, that's what they said in the stream. Being in the polishing phase and all that. Let's see how much they can improve until release.

Yep, no announcement for NS. It's dead.
You can see examples of one, the other, or both in all of his work starting with Persona 3.
Honestly, what was that line during operating babe hunt in P3 even? holy cringe...
I wonder if it was the same in japanese or if it was some dumbass in charge of localization.

the game definitely looks better, but I'm not vibing with the art. it still looks muddy in a way. just not technically so like the first trailer. the tech behind it isn't helping it either

Arent they using the old tech from Persona? Cause I can see that its struggling with big environments

the game definitely looks better, but I'm not vibing with the art. it still looks muddy in a way. just not technically so like the first trailer. the tech behind it isn't helping it either
Both the colors and actual performance really make me think of a late 2000s HD game… and not in a good way.

The tech side of things definitely looks a bit iffy, but I'm happy they're doing more than just fantasy Persona. This looks really interesting, although it's still hard to really get a pulse on what the core identity is.

My main question after that trailer is is this some kind of action/turn-based hybrid? It seemed like there was both action combat but also a turn-based menu skill selection or something

Wow, I didn’t think this would be a combination of action and turn based mechanics, I have been waiting for this game since 2016 when it was teased, this game has been looking very interesting so far.

There's like 15 seconds of in-engine stuff in this trailer and it all looks absolutely terrible from a visual and framerate perspective, does Sega really think this can launch in a year.

There's like 15 seconds of in-engine stuff in this trailer and it all looks absolutely terrible from a visual and framerate perspective, does Sega really think this can launch in a year.
Yes? That’s a whole year of polishing which isn’t insignificant. God of War 2018 was barely playable like 6-8 months before it launched, so it’s you know, not unusual for in-development games to still be…in development.

Either way, time will tell if Hoshino changed his ways but I doubt it so I’m not gonna get excited for the game until something more concrete is out there regarding that.

It's absolutely eating shit performance wise despite looking horrible visually and having nothing going on gameplay-wise. That is pretty uncommon for any game trailer to feature actually.

As in Trails games, so "turn-based but with position mattering" or do you mean action-based like the Ys games?
The Daybreak (Kuro) games have a "action rpg" style to streamline fighting weak enemies/mobs to get an advantage or run through. I know in Daybreak 1, it was a 3 hit combo, and that is similar to what is seen in the Metaphor trailer.

I thought Atlus was gonna go with the usual suspects for va work like their most recent games, PCB (mostly persona games) or Cup of Tea (SMT V and SH2) but they are going with someone else:

I had to look up who they are and some of the recent games were: Returnal, Live A Live, RE Village and BG3

I thought Atlus was gonna go with the usual suspects for va work like their most recent games, PCB (mostly persona games) or Cup of Tea (SMT V and SH2) but they are going with someone else:

I had to look up who they are and some of the recent games were: Returnal, Live A Live, RE Village and BG3

That's interesting. Those games had great VA, especially Returnal and BG3.

I'm in China so my daughter can visit her grandparents and their cousins and thus this gif is blocked for me, but I assume it is Pokemon SV and I will agree if that is the case, sure.
Hope you have a good family trip and she enjoys.

No it was an image from Seinfeld with Jerry holding his nose with his fingers to indicate something stinks. Elaine is next to him with a disgusted expression. I thought that post stinks so used this image. Hope that helps.

Hope you have a good family trip and she enjoys.

No it was an image from Seinfeld with Jerry holding his nose with his fingers to indicate something stinks. Elaine is next to him with a disgusted expression. I thought that post stinks so used this image. Hope that helps.

I would respond with the recent panels that went viral from the Death Note author as that's how every trailer from Metaphor feels like beyond the terrible visuals, but most of the memes about those panels were on Reddit which again, is banned in China.

I think this looks really great, surprised by the mixed reaction to it.
The director of this game is known for projecting his transphobic/homophobic views into his games which is why some people are feeling iffy about it. I personally think it looks interesting but I’m going to wait and see if he’s changed his ways or if he will continue to push his weird anti LGBTQ+ agenda.

Metaphor looks bad beyond the terrible visuals because every line of dialogue in both trailers is groan worthy nonsense from a guy who sucks.

"In other words, a fantasy" shut the fuck up, I'm begging you.

"Metaphor" itself makes me groan as a title.

I honestly dont see why you guys say the game looks bad. It looks like P5
I never said it looked bad. it just doesn't look much better than a PS3 title. damn near aliased as one too. for a game that's coming from the man who invented persona (this is a joke), I expected more, but it just doesn't technically impress

Here is the transition between battles. Looks cool, but as its been said, there is so much on screen my eyes kinda hate it lol.

And the transformation of the protagonist, which are called Archetype.

Wait, what?! This game has been in development since 2008-2010?!
— P5 started preparatory development right after P4 released.
no, I just said it looks like it. this game must be showing the limits of the P5 engine. that was made during the PS3 era and probably doesn't have modern lighting features or physically based rendering features. as old as it is, they probably can't extend the tools much because they might be jettisoning those tools after this game

One thing that came to mind is, this will be the first non-SMT game in a while meaning they will not rely on demon designs for enemies/partners.

Here lies the problem, the only Atlus game that has great to fantastic enemy design is EO (I am biased). Everything else non-SMT, is very bland to the point P5 started using demons. Granted we havent seen much, but I do hope we get cool designs, the Archetypes look very generic.

The Archetypes look cool, it would be cool if they use names from Arthurian legend or from fantasy myths as names for the Archetypes similar to how the persona names are taken from characters of literature and history.

no, I just said it looks like it. this game must be showing the limits of the P5 engine. that was made during the PS3 era and probably doesn't have modern lighting features or physically based rendering features. as old as it is, they probably can't extend the tools much because they might be jettisoning those tools after this game
I wonder if Person 6 is being developed with this engine, or they’ll make a new one or use UE

A speaking protagonist is quite the change compared to other Atlus games. And I think it's for the better.

One thing that came to mind is, this will be the first non-SMT game in a while meaning they will not rely on demon designs for enemies/partners.

Here lies the problem, the only Atlus game that has great to fantastic enemy design is EO (I am biased). Everything else non-SMT, is very bland to the point P5 started using demons. Granted we havent seen much, but I do hope we get cool designs, the Archetypes look very generic.
It is a risk, but also a chance. Atlus can freely create new enemy desings, and together with the non-silent protagonist and the unique setting, Metaphor can be an experience they've never done before.

Back
Top Bottom