• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Metaphor: ReFantazio announced by Atlus, releasing on Oct 11th [Read Staff Post]

goofy ass name
Maybe, but very unlikely. I know Capcom and Square skip Xbox One but not PS4 very often, but Sega/Atlus and Namco seem to hit Xbox One if they are hitting PS4 too for multilatfoprm releases, I actually cannot think of a single exception to that.
they'll hit ps4 because atlus will want to sell more than 10 copies in japan

Definitely not what I expected (I thought it would look more...idk, medieval?) but it looked really cool! Between this and the Persona 3 remake, Atlus has got some really exciting stuff lined up for next year! I hope this game hits Switch and/or Switch 2 in addition to PS/PC/Xbox. Especially since JP sales will probably struggle otherwise.

Don't most JRPGs that aren't Dragon Quest get the majority of their sales worldwide versus just Japan? A potential lack of a Switch version isn't a death knell for this game.

aTMknnrzQTJhwNeuwtmd6K-1920-80.jpeg.webp

That menu screen, though.

My biggest question, aside for the structure, what is the game engine? Given that SMTV and P3R are UE4, SH2 was unity, and their last game on the P5 engine was Catherine Full Body (I guess P5R) it seems Atlus has not settle on an engine. P6 will be telling.

My biggest question, aside for the structure, what is the game engine? Given that SMTV and P3R are UE4, SH2 was unity, and their last game on the P5 engine was Catherine Full Body (I guess P5R) it seems Atlus has not settle on an engine. P6 will be telling.
Persona 5 engine

Don't most JRPGs that aren't Dragon Quest get the majority of their sales worldwide versus just Japan? A potential lack of a Switch version isn't a death knell for this game.
Switch has inherited all the JRPG audience, not just the Japanese ones. But yes, if this game gets a marketing push similar to Tales of Arise, it can go beyond 2m in sales. Switch version would help a lot but as a successor launch title it would even sell even more, so I think Atlus will go for that.

So is this basically just Persona? It looks incredibly similar, although I can't really tell if we are doing demon recruitment here (the battle screen suggests so?)

Not a fan of the art direction, looks very ugly to me. The animations are very bad, they were always stiff but now it's way more jarring because of the higher fidelity.

If anything, I'm glad this exists so Hashino stops trying to make social commentary on contemporary topics just to completely failing at grasping them on a fundamental level. Hopefully P6 will be better in that regard.

Switch has inherited all the JRPG audience, not just the Japanese ones. But yes, if this game gets a marketing push similar to Tales of Arise, it can go beyond 2m in sales. Switch version would help a lot but as a successor launch title it would even sell even more, so I think Atlus will go for that.

PlayStation?

Holy moly, this looks freaking insane?? I wonder if this will come to Switch or at the very least, if it's coming late 2024, maybe Switch successor?

Atlus is a different beast when it comes to massive turn based rpgs.

with this + persona 3 remake it doesn’t look like persona 6 is anywhere close to coming out maybe that 2026 rumour is true

The interface, mixing fonts on an angle while reversing black and white out of each other just looks like a barely legible mess to me. I just don’t find calendar systems, treating a fantastical adventure like a spreadsheet of units of time to optimise, fun either. The artwork of the creatures is cool though!

PlayStation?
Ever since the PS3-PSP split, the JRPG audience has not been the same on home Playstations. That's why Vita got a lot of JRPG's despite its low sales. It even got some big exclusives too. And Switch inhertied Vita's userbase, got series like Atelier, Neptunia, Ys and even Trails. PS4 still gets ports, because it costs almost nothing to port there.

Steam is the key here. Arise sold really well there, it was on the Steam top sellers list during the launch week, unlike PS4. Atlus/Sega needs to push this game hard and I think they will, recent Persona titles got big pushes.

Wonder what engine this is running on because right now the framerate seems really unstable at times. Might still be their persona 5 engine considering how long it's been in development.

So is this basically just Persona? It looks incredibly similar, although I can't really tell if we are doing demon recruitment here (the battle screen suggests so?)
Don't know if demon recruitment is here, but yeah it's Persona in a "modern day fantasy" setting.
The menus are all straight out of Persona 5 but somehow even more crazy and stylish. Social links are here, the combat UI is very similar, your character has social abilities to level up. It's totally Not-Persona, which surprised me a bit tbf.

Sakurai on the phone as of right now with Atlus to get a character for the next Smash just to make a level out of those menus.

Game is releasing in a year and probably more than that, wouldn't worry about framerate issues as of right now. They don't fix that until the end of development.

Exciting to see, I was wondering about Project Re Fantasy just last week. In a lot of ways, it looks exactly how I imagined it six years ago. I've seen talk about how this would end up vaporware or was just a recruiting tool and probably evolved into something very different from the original concept and vision, and yet here it actually is.

It looks good for the most part, though I was surprised that it looks to be sticking close to Persona mechanics with the calender system and bonds. Archetypes seem to be the equivalent of personas and also double as a class system. Curious to see how they differ from personas.

The synthesis option in battles appear to be dual techs. Dual tech systems seem to be popping up a fair bit lately between this, 7 rebirth, and Future Redeemed. It took jrpg developers 28 years to realize people really liked those in Chrono Trigger lol.

The cyan crystal flower things at the top make it look like the Nocturne style press turn system. Though it seems skills also require and consume varying amounts of these crystals in addition to MP, might only be for synthesis skills though.

Some of the elements seem kinda neat even if I don't like the UI at all.

That said uh, fuck Hashino, I'm not touching anything he works on with a 10-foot pole. I'm really uncomfortable with how much game audiences are happy to give him the time of day given how vocal and awful a bigot he is.

Last edited:
Yeah, this was a personal highlight for me. Not expecting this on Switch but perhaps on the [redacted]?

Man, I was hoping Re:Fantasy would be something different from SMT and Persona - instead it looks like a fusion of the 2 franchises with some fantasy elements and worse monster designs. Also I really don't like how the environment and characters completely clash in artstyle (and performance was very bad, but I can excuse that as it's WIP footage)

I'm not really familiar with the teams and people working at Atlus, so I'm curious - can I get an explanation as to what's up with the director Hashino?

FINALLY, I have been waiting to see this game since it was announced in 2016!!

I think it looks great, pretty much what I was expecting with fantasy in a modern like setting, I hope this makes its way to Switch as well.

Man, I was hoping Re:Fantasy would be something different from SMT and Persona - instead it looks like a fusion of the 2 franchises with some fantasy elements and worse monster designs. Also I really don't like how the environment and characters completely clash in artstyle (and performance was very bad, but I can excuse that as it's WIP footage)

I'm not really familiar with the teams and people working at Atlus, so I'm curious - can I get an explanation as to what's up with the director Hashino?
He worked as a director and writer on a number of games (including Persona 3-5 and Catherine) and has a long history of, both in his games writing and things he's said in interviews, etc, being vocally misogynistic, homophobic, and transphobic. I don't feel comfortable going into the details because it's nasty shit no one needs to see, but he's especially fond of "conversion therapy" style plotlines or making LGBT people out to be predators.

Ever since the PS3-PSP split, the JRPG audience has not been the same on home Playstations. That's why Vita got a lot of JRPG's despite its low sales. It even got some big exclusives too. And Switch inhertied Vita's userbase, got series like Atelier, Neptunia, Ys and even Trails. PS4 still gets ports, because it costs almost nothing to port there.

Steam is the key here. Arise sold really well there, it was on the Steam top sellers list during the launch week, unlike PS4. Atlus/Sega needs to push this game hard and I think they will, recent Persona titles got big pushes.
Yea, RPGs tend to be very popular on portables. Switch naturally inherited the GBA->DS->3DS progression along with Sony bowing out of the market. JRPGs in particular have been doing very well on Switch.

Anybody hype for a Hashino project in 2023 is, uh, worrying. Maybe I'm wrong and this one won't be a neoconservative script that hates women and the gays. That'd be really neat, but considering his recent track record I can't really get behind it. It's a shame because I liked some of the games he worked on before that aspect of his became more prominent(basically Nocturne and DDS), but I don't wanna risk having yet another game grossing me out while hiding behind some sleek aesthetic.

Source?

What are you even on about?

He's probably talking about Hashino's homophobia and transphobia. You can see examples of one, the other, or both in all of his work starting with Persona 3. Though personally, I'm not sure it's as though he doesn't grasp them; I think he does, but makes the choice to be hateful towards queer people. You'd think he'd grow as a person and understand everything he got wrong over time, but I think he just genuinely hates queer people for being queer.

This looks absolutely gorgeous, if a little chaotic, but I love the style, and another Meguro soundtrack is always fire. I'm definitely on board, and we're starting to see some excellent JRPGs lining up for 2024 which is great news. Optimistic but with a few questions, for sure.

Hopefully Sega will crack down hard on Hoshino this time around. Persona 5 got a pretty decent amount of negative press for an otherwise completely meaningless scene due to the pointless homophobia, to the point that they made a (very half-assed) change for Royal. That probably isn't worth the bad press in Sega's eyes, so hopefully they knock that shit out of the game.

Well, best case scenario is that they dump his homophobic ass entirely, but that ain't happening.

now I fully expect a ps5/xbox/steam configuration here of course but like japan is the third largest market for video games after the US and China and I don't understand why everyone's like "ignore it"

Hopefully Sega will crack down hard on Hoshino this time around. Persona 5 got a pretty decent amount of negative press for an otherwise completely meaningless scene due to the pointless homophobia, to the point that they made a (very half-assed) change for Royal. That probably isn't worth the bad press in Sega's eyes, so hopefully they knock that shit out of the game.

Well, best case scenario is that they dump his homophobic ass entirely, but that ain't happening.
The change was only present in the localization, it was the same in the original Japanese version of Royal.

Sega has been pretty hands off with Atlus, they don’t really care about the handling of LGBT content or other problematic elements in their games (which extends past Hashino, really).

Last edited:
I love that half this thread is "Hoshino is a bigoted jerk and his games can go suck eggs" and the other half is "looks sick, hype!" Truly Family Boards is a land of contrasts......

The change was only present in the localization, it was the same in the original Japanese version of Royal.

Sega has been pretty hands off with Atlus, they don’t really care about the handling of LGBT content or other problematic elements in their games in their games (which extends past Hashino, really).
Bleh, that's disappointing. Not that the western change was particularly good anyway, but at least the intent was kinda-sorta-not-really there.

I love that half this thread is "Hoshino is a bigoted jerk and his games can go suck eggs" and the other half is "looks sick, hype!" Truly Family Boards is a land of contrasts......
I should say when I made my post, I didn't really know who Hashino was. I like SMT well enough, but I'm not a big Persona fan. Only played the gym teacher arc in 5 and never played the others at all. Re Fantasy had interested me years back as having Persona's flare and style in a big fantasy game without the high school sim stuff and I looked for updates from time to time but never looked too deep into who exactly Studio Zero was.

Reading through posts on this thread now, looks like I'll be staying away from this, and Persona 3 reloaded. I apologize for my earlier post. I was ignorant.

Even as someone who has P5 as a problematic fav, there's a lot of uncertainty about this game that makes me uneasy. Will it be bloated in length? Will the isekai fantasy angle be another bog standard power fantasy with zero nuance? Will Hashino indulge in his worst writing tendencies yet again?

The game will probably be mechanically sound with great monster design and music, but there's way too many question marks to get excited about what was shown here. Even Soejima's human designs just feel like more of the same old same old.

FyXIf6iakAAf_Oq

This are... just social stats from Persona, right...?
I'm actually surprised how Personafied they do a medieval fantasy setting.

(Also Tolerance as stat in a Hoshino game? lmao)

That's medieval Persona alright. If it ends up really good, I'll definitely make sure to pick it up later on. Visually looks honestly pretty messy and busy but, if it's made by the same sort of team as the other major Persona or SMT games, I can hope it'll be a fun time. Just don't want to get burnt out of Persona by the time I get around to Persona 3 Reload next year

He's probably talking about Hashino's homophobia and transphobia. You can see examples of one, the other, or both in all of his work starting with Persona 3. Though personally, I'm not sure it's as though he doesn't grasp them; I think he does, but makes the choice to be hateful towards queer people. You'd think he'd grow as a person and understand everything he got wrong over time, but I think he just genuinely hates queer people for being queer.

It honestly extends past just the queerphobia in general. The Persona games as well as Catherine delve into views on women and sexual/romantic relationships in ways that are really grotesque and offputting. If you read the interviews Hashino has done, he seems really oblivious to anything like this and it's often overlooked when people decide to call him out. This game having more relationship systems like Persona is a big red flag and another point to look to see if him or anybody on the writing team are able to handle getting past their own track record. There's much more than that when it comes to conservative themes in his games, but the phobia and misogyny are the most blatant standouts because they are so jarring to the works they are in.

Last edited:
It honestly extends past just the queerphobia in general. The Persona games as well as Catherine delve into views on women and sexual/romantic relationships in ways that are really grotesque and offputting. If you read the interviews Hashino has done, he seems really oblivious to anything like this and it's often overlooked when people decide to call him out. This game having more relationship systems like Persona is a big red flag and another point to look to see if him or anybody on the writing team are able to handle getting past their own track record. There's honestly much more than that when it comes to conservative themes in his games, but the phobia and misogyny are the most blatant standouts because they are so jarring to the works they are in.

Yes, you're absolutely right. I honestly should have mentioned his gross views on women in general (the way Anne is treated in P5 is particularly gross, for instance). There's a lot that's deeply wrong with Hashino's work, and his open hatred of queer people is only one of the most prominent features of it, but not the whole story.

Back
Top Bottom