• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 coming to PC and consoles on October 24th (out now!)

So, it turns out to be 720p docked instead, contrary to Konami's PR-statement.

John counted the pixels from a direct-feed .mp4

lmao that guy in black acting over the top disgusted with Konami the whole video is hilarious

Last edited:
I'm honesty just super disappointed in this release. Not having anything on the cart for the physical, worse performance than the ps3 version just bums me the hell out.

I still have my copies of these games on ps1, ps2, and the HD collection on ps3 and I guess I'll just be sticking with those version for the foreseeable future. Only way I see myself getting them now is at a very steep discount if they can fix them up some (like they did with super bomberman r).

Too expensive for the caveats: small game card size than won’t fit all the games, bad adaptation compared to the other editions. I wanted to get there day one but now I’ll probably wait until a good sale, if ever.

bad, Konami, very bad :(

I'm not super obsessed with graphics and performance, but at the same time I don't want to reward what seems to be a very underwhelming effort.

This went from "Hell yeah! Day one!" to "I'll wait for a really hefty discount" quite fast.

SIGH I’m genuinely so bummed by this release. I was SO ready to drop literally any price on this collection, and now I’m really starting to consider just cancelling my pre-order. If they had just put in a little more work to get MGS 2 and 3 to 60 on Switch. I don’t even mind that MGS1 is PS1 res/framerate. I don’t even mind 2 and 3 being 720p. But being 30 FPS? Unacceptable IMO. I don’t wanna support this half-assed cash-grab of a port.

I'm not super obsessed with graphics and performance, but at the same time I don't want to reward what seems to be a very underwhelming effort.

This went from "Hell yeah! Day one!" to "I'll wait for a really hefty discount" quite fast.
If I ever see it on the eShop discounted at 75%, I might consider it.

Like, look

I am often in the extreme minority because despite everything (and there has been a lot) I believe there’s a way for Konami to redeem themselves and get back to being liked by folks. They’re KONAMI for goodness sake! They’ve made and released some of the all-time best video games. Among third party publishers, their legacy is among the best in the world. Now, this is going to be an uphill battle, no doubt, but I do think if they put in the work, people can get back to thinking that Konami is a name they can trust when it comes to quality games. But that trust has to be earned, and for me personally, I am, and have been for a while, ready to love and trust Konami again.

This is not how you earn trust. This is how you further destroy trust. This is how you convince the haters they’re right.

Konami decision makers, you’re probably not reading this. I wish you would but you’re likely not. However, in the very rare instance that someone in a decision-making capacity at Konami is reading this message:

Please. I say this with nothing but love for you and your legendary video games in my heart: Do the right thing here. Delay this. Put a bit more work into this. Make this the definitive versions of these games. I genuinely do not think it would require that much more time or budget. Just get the Switch versions to 60 frames per second. That’s all I ask.

I guess I'll stick to the 360 release and maybe buy MGS1 if it releases on the eshop. What a sad release. Fuck Konami.

I'd love to buy the whole thing, but on account of Konami being terrible I'll just very reluctantly buy MGS2 because I have nowhere else to play it right now.

At least GTA Trilogy was salvagable after a couple months of patches, but this reads like Konami is actually proud of this unpolished turd.

I would have even accepted 720p/60 to buy at full price, but 720/30 docked, with dips? Good luck between Mario, Sonic, Alan Wake 2, Assassin's Creed, Spider-Man 2, Cities Skylines II, Detective Pikachu, and an equally valued Batman: Arkham Trilogy launching eleven days prior and so far no previews of a disappointing port

If MGS1 is standalone on the eshop, I'll buy for sheer portability.

I don't expect it to be, despite the Steam listing.

This will be what I get too, even if it does have those borders on at all times (I'd prefer to turn them off tbh). But I want to play MGS1 again since it's been a while.

1080p30 docked

I mean...still seems like a strange limitation when MGS2 & MGS3 could hit 60 fps on PS2, but I sincerely hope it's not dipping from 30fps that often

Resolution and fps for all consoles.

They said this before. I don't trust them, unless they've changed things up. Menus are displayed at 1080p according to John from Digital Foundry, while the actual game itself displays at 720p in docked mode. Do they think we're stupid?

I guess it’s a good thing that I haven’t played these games elsewhere before (besides a bit of Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D on 3DS) so I don’t really care as much about the resolution or frame rate, but it is disappointing that the Switch version seems to be such a low effort job. At least 30 FPS vs. 60 FPS isn’t as big of a deal for Metal Gear, I would assume, as it is for, say, Sonic, so I doubt it’ll bother me much at all.

I just wish Twin Snakes was included…

EDIT: Also, how often do Konami games usually go on sale? ‘Cause I dunno if I should pick this up at launch or wait for a sale. It’s not a huge priority for me like the other October releases (Detective Pikachu Returns, Sonic Superstars, and Super Mario Bros. Wonder), so I can afford to wait on it. I also still need to pick up Super Bomberman R 2 sometime, too…

EDIT: Also, how often do Konami games usually go on sale? ‘Cause I dunno if I should pick this up at launch or wait for a sale. It’s not a huge priority for me like the other October releases (Detective Pikachu Returns, Sonic Superstars, and Super Mario Bros. Wonder), so I can afford to wait on it. I also still need to pick up Super Bomberman R 2 sometime, too…
often enough, from what I've seen. Not Sega/Ubisoft fast, but I've seen their other collections go on sale pretty frequently. For instance, Castlevania Advance Collection seems to be roughly half-off 4 or 5 times a year.

Quoted by: Tye
They said this before. I don't trust them, unless they've changed things up. Menus are displayed at 1080p according to John from Digital Foundry, while the actual game itself displays at 720p in docked mode. Do they think we're stupid?
Ayo????? That is scummy as fuck if that's how they're justifying the resolution

Definitely holding out on reviews then

often enough, from what I've seen. Not Sega/Ubisoft fast, but I've seen their other collections go on sale pretty frequently. For instance, Castlevania Advance Collection seems to be roughly half-off 4 or 5 times a year.
Hmm, so the question then becomes how likely will it be for the physical copies of this (and Bomberman) to sell out before it goes on sale…

If MGS1 is standalone on the eshop, I'll buy for sheer portability.

I don't expect it to be, despite the Steam listing.
It will be.

The physical version is worthless. Only 2,4 GB are on the card.

All games are ~ 20+ GB combined and there is 30 GB optional bonus content.

This collection is so low effort. It's sad. But I'm a sucker for MGS and if the performance is at least stable, will buy it day one. If the game runs like shit, I wait for a sale/patch.

This could have been an really easy sell for me, but I just don't understand why MGS2 and MGS3 are running at 30FPS on Switch when the old HD collection this is apparently based on ran at 60FPS on a 360/PS3. Really weird and disappointing stuff.

I'll just stick to playing these games on my old PS3

The physical version is worthless. Only 2,4 GB are on the card.

All games are ~ 20+ GB combined and there is 30 GB optional bonus content.

This collection is so low effort. It's sad. But I'm a sucker for MGS and if the performance is at least stable, will buy it day one. If the game runs like shit, I wait for a sale/patch.

This isn't a rag on you cause if Metroid Prime Remastered ended up being low effort I would've bought it, but we can see why Gamefreak spits out terribly performing Pokémon games today. Like you with MGS, me with the Prime series, there are 20 million Pokémon fans who probably just don't care.

Edit: sorry kind of a derail but just a realization of how we can turn that part of our brains off for series we love.

Eh, well at least it's coming out on pc. Hopefully 4K on there shouldn't be too difficult and maybe even there would be a way to unlock the fps.

Certainly not getting the Switch version though, no reason for it to only be 30fps. Real shame as well because a proper, modern handheld version of these games would be great.

FEsFppJ.png

Apologies for the necrobump, but this seemed pertinent information given how unenthused this board likely is on making an ST for the collection

As always, if you're not on DekuDeals, now is as good a time as any to track discount sales because Konami could not be any more blatant in their warning signs about this collection

As always, if you're not on DekuDeals, now is as good a time as any to track discount sales because Konami could not be any more blatant in their warning signs about this collection
Konami's sales are among the rarest on eShop, they do discounts like, twice a year.

But hey, at least they're honest about it and promise to fix it. Vita versions of the games were broken at launch (full of glitches) but they got patched in time.

Going to pick the first one on Switch

I tried playing MGS2 on the Vita and it seemed great from what I've played, but there were some references to characters and events from the first game so I wanted to pause it to play MGS1 to get more context

This collection seems like a great get on PC in 3 years once the community fixes it. 1080p max on all games and 30fps on MGS is inexcusable. The bar was in the ground and they still only managed to barely meet it.

I was gonna only get MGS1 on Switch, but hearing it’s the PAL version… why is Konami like this lol

You can download language packs. Mine started as PAL and US/JP NTSC DLC is available from within the games.

Also there seems to be datamining for MGS4 in the next or next-next volume.

ZF0L9NE_d.webp

Is this collection still playable or should I just buy the classic versions?
Ugh, honestly, no idea- the verdict is entirely out still.

I'm over here WAITING for someone to confirm the Japanese Switch retail carts do in fact contain Metal Gear Solid 1- if so, the import cart will be mine!

My personal Master Collection So Far

• Metal Gear Solid, PS1 version for accuracy and CRT shaders in Retroarch
  • Metal Gear Solid, GOG PC version for PC Integral differences
  • Metal Gear Solid 2, PS2 version for pressure sensitive controls
  • Metal Gear Solid 2, GOG PC version for V's Fix and 3RD Person Camera Mod
  • Metal Gear Solid 3, PS2 version for pressure sensitive controls
  • Metal Gear Solid 3, Master Collection PC for access to the HD Edition version of the game

I'm looking forward to getting home today and playing MGS2. But I'm limiting myself to only buying that game because Konami, as proven by the quality of these ports, sucks and because I currently have no other way of playing Sons of Liberty.

Oh, boy, suddenly I have hope MGS4 will be taken away from its PS4 prison.

While they don't seem like terrible ports in the sense that they're actively worse than previous ports, it just feels like a case of so much missed potential. The fact that they're still just rendering at 720p on PS5 is disappointing.

Imagine a world where we have 4K, 120 fps MGS2/3 and an emulated version of MGS1 that is comparable to what you could do with Duckstation.

At the very least the Switch versions should be running at 60fps.

I’m pretty eager to pick this up next month. The only sucky part for me is that Snake’s revenge and NES Metal Gear is only available if you get the $60 bundle, so i can’t just stick with MGS1/NES like I hoped to. Funnily though the 2D games are what’s on the actual switch cart if you refuse to download anything, so if it had MGS1 and I didn’t want digital I could just nab it lol

Dont care much for 2/3 and i’m not surprised they run at 30 considering how other ps2 ports tend to run on switch (looking at Bamco stuff such as klonoa and katamari…) and I’ll be stunned if 4/5 are ported to Switch 1 next year: especially 4 being freed from the PS3. Seems safer to make them Switch 2 exclusive to run properly (or we’ll just get the 360/PS3 MGSV experience i guess)

Hoping the GBC game is Vol 2’s bonus.

I’m happy with just straight slightly less buggy ports of the HD collection, even if MGS2 has a 30fps cap for some reason (it’s been 8 years since I played it so it won’t bother me.) I hope this does well enough for them to do Vol 2

Back
Top Bottom