• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 coming to PC and consoles on October 24th (out now!)

A collection of enhanced versions of Ghost Babel, The Twin Snakes, and Snake Eater 3D would have been an instant buy for me.

I already have the HD versions of Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater so this isn’t essential. I may partake once the price drops though I’m leaning toward the PS5 version for potential better frame rate and resolution.

Last edited:
Glad it got a release date! Will pick it up on Xbox, but might wait for a sale.

Oh yes! They're also going to be sold separately, right? If that's the case, I think I'll just get 2, because I already have the remakes of 1 and 3.

Looks like the collection is going to release physically too, very hype about it.
Haven't played the OG MGS in like... I don't know... 13 years or something.

Replayed MGS2 5 years ago on Xbox One, it still blew my mind at how good and modern it was.

MGS3 will forever stay a modern masterpiece so not much to say about it.

Konami isn't holding back with this collection. It is nice to see Solid Snake making a comeback on modern consoles.

Honestly don't know what I expected, but the Collection is a whopping 60€.

Alternatively, you can buy the the games separately for 20€ each, and miss out on bonus content.

Metal-Gear-Solid-Master-Collection-Vol1-Switch.webp

Can't waiiiiiit

Damn. That is incredibly disappointing. Guess I'll skip it.

surprisingly, this isn't the first time the NES port of Metal Gear has gotten a re-release. it was included in a Japan-only Gamecube console bundle as a standalone disk, using the traditional Tomohiro Kawase emulator various 1st-party Gamecube and GBA games used at the time. (it's not the only standalone NES disk either, Tower of Druaga was released as a pre-order bonus for Tales of Symphonia.)

Snake's Revenge is completely new, which is shocking considering it's the entire reason this is a franchise in the first place. Kojima never intended to make a direct sequel to the first game. but when one of the staff members working on this title brought it up to him, he quickly went to work on drafting his own official sucsessor for the MSX.

Looks like a great collection with faithful ports. Hope newcomers enjoy the best games in the series on this volume.

For newbies: Don't skip OG Metal Gear 2! It's one of the best in the series, criminally underplayed, and ties directly into the story of MGS1. Metal Gear 1 can be skipped if you don't have the tolerance for retro games. But the difference between MG1 and 2 is like jumping from Final Fantasy 1 to 6, massive leap in every department.

It's a shame the Switch version is trash. Seems like it's just the PS5 version for me unless the Asian Switch release is complete.

Looks like a great collection with faithful ports. Hope newcomers enjoy the best games in the series on this volume.

For newbies: Don't skip OG Metal Gear 2! It's one of the best in the series, criminally underplayed, and ties directly into the story of MGS1. Metal Gear 1 can be skipped if you don't have the tolerance for retro games. But the difference between MG1 and 2 is like jumping from Final Fantasy 1 to 6, massive leap in every department.

I hope for the sake of newcomers that they offer an easy mode on the games, or other accessibility options to make them more friendly. I agree that both Metal Gear games are must plays, but if Konami just drops them "as is" in the collection, most people will skip out after five minutes.

Switch version is just... absolutely astoundingly disappointing for a lot of reasons. Like, the fact seems nothing is on the cartridge almost seems like the physical release is absolutely worthless. May still get it digitally, but physically? No point. Just none.

Yeah I was excited to get the physical copy but not like this. At that point why don't just put the game voucher like other releases has done?

Major oof on the massive downloads. Went from "day 1 buy" to firm "wait for sale".

I don't care about downloads for the videos, but I hope they're at least optional. I'm not keen to waste 30 GB for videos I'll probably watch once and never again. Just upload the videos to Youtube lol.

I guess it's Konami, so I can't expect them to care enough to spring for a 32 GB cart to at least fit all the games, but they're only putting 2.4 GB on the cart?! And if the breakdown is:

MGS: 4.8 GB
MGS2: 8.0 GB
MGS3: 12.2 GB

It seems like they're doing the Bioshock Collection approach, where they put a tiny bit of each game on the cart, which is the absolute worst way to do it. Can we not get at least one entire game on the cart?!

The worst thing is they probably could've given us everything but MGS3 + Additional Download (International versions + Videos) on a 16GB cartridge and yet...

I got curious about the Japanese release, hoping maybe it'd be different. Looking at the information, the cover has a warning about the game software and to check the back for more details. I was wondering if it was a "product of it's time" warning (which Metal Gear, with anything from that era, has stuff that didn't age well), but looking at the PS4 and PS5 covers, it's not there. So likelihood, Japanese Switch cartridge release is the same as the International version and the warning is about the download size information on the back.

Sigh.

The worst thing is they probably could've given us everything but MGS3 + Additional Download (International versions + Videos) on a 16GB cartridge and yet...

I got curious about the Japanese release, hoping maybe it'd be different. Looking at the information, the cover has a warning about the game software and to check the back for more details. I was wondering if it was a "product of it's time" warning (which Metal Gear, with anything from that era, has stuff that didn't age well), but looking at the PS4 and PS5 covers, it's not there. So likelihood, Japanese Switch cartridge release is the same as the International version and the warning is about the download size information on the back.

Sigh.
Damn.

Well, maybe the Asian release fares better. If not then at least the PS5 version should be complete.

Sigh.
yeah the information on the japanese webpage is the same. 2.4 gigs on the cartridge

On another note, vol 2 MUST include Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel or violence will happen

I’m gonna need a guide on the order these games should be played. Had never heard of Snake’s Revenge before lol.

I’m gonna need a guide on the order these games should be played. Had never heard of Snake’s Revenge before lol.

There are two ways to play it.

First is the order that the games were made. Metal Gear -> Metal Gear 2 -> Metal Gear Solid 1 -> Metal Gear Solid 2 -> Metal Gear Solid 3. I prefer this way myself.

The other way to play the series is move Metal Gear Solid 3 to the start of your playthrough, then move on to Metal Gear and so forth. MGS3 is a prequel. You could honestly start there without any issues. Some of the small story tidbits and references may miss you, but you won't be lost really. That is the newest game in this collection so the gamelan will be more advanced.

Lastly, I'm not sure what you tolerance for older games are, but the Metal Gear games are from the late 80s. They are NES hard. If you don't decide to finish them and want to start with Metal Gear Solid 1, then I suggest watching a playthrough or reading the synopsis of those two games. You get a lot of backstory and foundation to the plot of the first Solid game and beyond.

So disappointed for the downloads… probably it’ll be the same for the Arkham collection… sigh…
I mean, with the entire collection being ~115 GB on other platforms, this is an absolute given.

The download thing is annoying but I’ll still pick this up on Switch, handheld seems the best way to replay the original MGS rather than blown up onto a large TV.

Now, Capcom, if you are reading this, do this but with a Capcom Classic Horror Collection! RE1-3 plus Dino Crisis 1&2, I would pay good money for this!

I don't understand...
On the eshop the total size is 1.7 gb, and the breakdown is 300-500 mb per game, plus the additional content.

How can that be?

I love downloading shit, so I'm quite excited. I've always bounced off of MGS games because I suck at stealth, but here's a new opportunity in a handheld form factor! And I really want to try the MSX games.

I don't understand...
On the eshop the total size is 1.7 gb, and the breakdown is 300-500 mb per game, plus the additional content.

How can that be?
This normally happens when the physical games come on a cartridge with a download, the size is indicated in the eshop without the obligatory day 1 patch (the one that is applied to the cartridge).

Definitely going with PC for this collection. I hope the person who made that third person mod for the PS2 version of MGS2 is able to bring it over to the PC version somehow. Super excited to see how the modding scene goes in general.

This one certainly wouldn’t be coming to switch (could run it I imagine but the file size….)
Huh... didn't the leak say that Vol. 2 would include Portable Ops, Peace Walker (and perhaps other portable titles) as well as Revengeance?

Honestly, people have been claiming for so long for a non-PS3 version of MGS4 that I can't imagine Konami just bundling it as part of a collection. Not when they could make a big deal out of it and sell it at full price (or near full price if they're feeling magnanimous).

Huh... didn't the leak say that Vol. 2 would include Portable Ops, Peace Walker (and perhaps other portable titles) as well as Revengeance?

Honestly, people have been claiming for so long for a non-PS3 version of MGS4 that I can't imagine Konami just bundling it as part of a collection. Not when they could make a big deal out of it and sell it at full price (or near full price if they're feeling magnanimous).
I don’t think it’s that definitive to be honest. Just a timeline with inactive links. But IGN says they understand it to be true. I would think that they could do a 3rd collection with the portable games and revengeance too. Guess we will see, but 4 getting a full release outside of the collections would make a lot of sense.

Some insider tweeted (Andy Robinson? jez Corden? I can't remember) said Vol 2 should include Peace Walker and Metal Gear Rising. Don't remember anyone mentioning Portable Ops.

If it's MGS4+MGR+Peace Walker, it's gonna be a pricey collection. But that's no issue, Konami is already selling the games of Colection 1 individually.

No doubt MGS4 will be in the next volume. They're clearly marketing everything around the 8 canonical mainline games (MG1-2, MGS1-4, PW, MGS5).

Ghost Babel probably gets included as a bonus game since that's a simple one to emulate.

Portable Ops is in a weird place since they'd have to make a brand new port for it.

MGR would need a modern port too since it's been stuck on 7th gen consoles. But it's a more modern multiplat with a PC version so probably wouldn't be hard to port.

Twin Snakes is probably in legal hell with Silicone Knights and is also not worth porting since it's shit.

Honestly I'd really like vol 2 to focus on the portable games. Pease walker, portable ops, acid 1 and w and Ghost Babel. I've only played peace walker out of those so most would be new to me.

4 and rising would make a good vol 3. Only 2 games but they are connected story wise and they are bigger in scope so I think could justify it.

Some insider tweeted (Andy Robinson? jez Corden? I can't remember) said Vol 2 should include Peace Walker and Metal Gear Rising. Don't remember anyone mentioning Portable Ops.

If it's MGS4+MGR+Peace Walker, it's gonna be a pricey collection. But that's no issue, Konami is already selling the games of Colection 1 individually.
So I just checked, because I also didn't remember who said it originally. It was Jez Corden in this Windows Central article:

The Classic Collection may also come in volumes, based on what I've heard, with Metal Gear Rising, PeaceWalker, and other spin-offs like Portable Ops hitting as part of a "Vol. 2" Classic Collection. Some of the details on the Classic Collection are a bit murky, so take it with a grain of salt. MGS1-3 re-releases are almost certainly in, though.

Of course, even he admits that his info isn't 100% set in stone, so it's plausible that he got something wrong.

If Konami is inteligent will do Vol 2 (and then maybe an oddball 3??) And finishing itball with a MGS presentation with new footage of MGS 3 remake and the announcment of MG4 Substance at 70 for all platforms

Is going to sell like crazy

Back
Top Bottom