• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 coming to PC and consoles on October 24th (out now!)

What frame rate did Snake Eater 3D run at? Not asking to downplay disappointment; just curious since I stomached that well.

While I was very much looking forward to a Switch release, 30fps is fucking unacceptable for games I literally already own.

What a fucking joke, as always Konami. Can’t wait until these chucklefucks lose it all and sell their IP rights for chump change.

I’ll just go back to playing my PS2 versions on PC with pressure sensitive inputs intact. Whatever!

isnt this collection based on the bluepoint port on PS3/360 that ran at 60 fps ? Absolutely no reason for the Switch version to not be 60 fps and 1080p docked besides Konami being cheap as fuck.

Seems like they really didn't want Rockstar to have the spotlight as far as barebones port is concerned.

isnt this collection based on the bluepoint port on PS3/360 that ran at 60 fps ? Absolutely no reason for the Switch version to not be 60 fps and 1080p docked besides Konami being cheap as fuck.

Seems like they really didn't want Rockstar to have the spotlight as far as barebones port is concerned.

I think they're porting the Vita version of those ports for some reason?

I mainly am in this for MGS1 and the 2D games and since those seem to be outstanding I’m still in day one on this for switch. Kinda expected MGS 2/3 to possibly be this way due to how they were on Vita/3DS, so i’m not too bothered (i’m likely to skip those anyhow)

Now if this is true for the PS5/XSX vers then konami wtf

Perfect, Konami saving me time and money.

I was expecting this collection to be the absolute bare minimum and it still manages to end up lower than my already low expectations, simply amazing.

That MGS3 remake is the easiest disappointment to predict by the way, the fact that it was randomly announced mid conf amongst the filler stuff in that PS showcase was already very telling. Expecting a quick cash grab with no budget.

Last edited:
Joke if true, not a product worth buying if that's the case.

PS3 is actually the best way to play still since it has the pressure sensitive face buttons that PS4/5 don't.

i think the "720p" comment is likely a misunderstanding similar to what happened with Red Dead Redemption, it'll probably at least run at a higher resolution on PS5 and Xbox Series.

if not, it'll probably get corrected rather quickly. they've already added a (digital only) PS4 version and Keyboard/Mouse support on PC in response to complaints.

LOL

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Volume 1 apparently makes no alterations to the themes and content of the original games, though it does open every game with a warning that some of that content "may be considered outdated."

"This game contains expressions and themes which may be considered outdated. However, these elements have been included without alteration to preserve the historical context in which the game was made and the creator's original vision. Player discretion is advised," the warning reads. The game doesn't specifically reference series lead Hideo Kojima here, but the singular "the creator" here leaves little room for doubt on who we're talking about.

Translation = "Kojima is a fucking creep and a massive misogynist pathetic weirdo, please be aware"

Konami has now clarified to VGC that the game will render at the following resolutions:

All platforms except Switch – 1080p / 60 frames per second target
Switch (docked mode) – 1080p / 30 frames per second target
Switch (handheld mode) – 720p / 30 frames per second target

Looks like the previus info was misinformation

Konami has now clarified to VGC that the game will render at the following resolutions:

60 fps should easily be feasible on Switch so that's still rather disappoiting (unless they're doing other visual improvements that weren't present in the previous HD collection besides a res bump).

It has been almost a decade since I last played these (originally PlayStation 2) games on the PlayStation Vita, so I already experienced a lesser version. In fact, this is an upgrade compared to the aforementioned. Can't even remember what it's like to play 'em at 60 frames per second. lol

Sure, a higher frame rate is ideal, but the games aren't less enjoyable at a lower one.

According to Vandal, who posted their hands-on impressions yesterday, the 30fps on the Switch version of MGS3 aren't even stable. They do mention that it could be fixed for the final version, but who knows.

Quick and dirty translation here:
The performance of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, also at 30 FPS, is not stable. although that doesn't mean that it will be like this in the final version. Konami warned us that we would encounter errors in this preliminary version that the development team is currently working on.

It has been almost a decade since I last played these (originally PlayStation 2) games on the PlayStation Vita, so I already experienced a lesser version. In fact, this is an upgrade compared to the aforementioned. Can't even remember what it's like to play 'em at 60 frames per second. lol

Sure, a higher frame rate is ideal, but the games aren't less enjoyable at a lower one.
Bigger issue I read is that potentially the switch version still has dips even with the 30 fps cap so it could end up being really shoddy.

Bigger issue I read is that potentially the switch version still has dips even with the 30 fps cap so it could end up being really shoddy.

I expect these dips to be much less noticeable than on the PlayStation Vita. We'll see. ;)

Boy was I ever silly for giving Konami the benefit of the doubt. When we're talking about games that ran at 60fps on the PS3/Xbox 360 over a decade ago, and even 60fps on Nvidia Shield which is nearly-identical to the Switch, there's really no good excuse for them being 30fps (and not even a locked 30fps, at that) on Switch.

It's a bummer because I was actually really looking forward to playing these on Switch, but if they've dropped the ball this badly, I can wait for either a steep Steam discount or to see if it runs any better on Switch 2 (not getting my hopes up there).

I wouldn’t read too much into framerate dips on a prerelease product, but a 30fps target is pretty disappointing.

Oh, well. Guess I’ll get the Master Collection when I get a PS5. And by the time that comes, the second volume of the MC should be out, lol.

Unless, of course, the collections come to Switch 2 :p

Konami is an embarrassment with these ports but not their first time messing up ports the silent hill hd collection was also a mess back in the day, but sad that they still havent learned.

mgs2 was 60 fps on the goddamn ps2

no excuse
This is actually pretty common thing on Switch. Katamary Damacy Reroll, Tales of Symphonia and those Bloodrayne games were 60 fps on PS2 but their remasters are 30fps on Switch. Final Fantasy XII, Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song were 30 fps on PS2 and 30 fps on Switch. FF12 is not locked on Switch also.

Few lucky remasters on Switch are blessed with 60 fps.

This is actually pretty common thing on Switch. Katamary Damacy Reroll, Tales of Symphonia and those Bloodrayne games were 60 fps on PS2 but their remasters are 30fps on Switch. Final Fantasy XII, Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song were 30 fps on PS2 and 30 fps on Switch. FF12 is not locked on Switch also.

Few lucky remasters on Switch are blessed with 60 fps.
Symphonia was 60 FPS on GameCube and 30 FPS with big dips on PS2.

Yeah the PS3 and Switch remasters were based on PS2 version. I suspect they lost the source code of Gamecube version or something.
Indeed ! But I still believe that the "We lost the source code :(" excuse doesn't work.

I mean, it didn't stop SquareEnix to put Final Fantasy IX into an android emulator for the PC & console releases (so everyone can enjoy the world map capped at 10 FPS). Well for FF VII and VIII, they used the PC versions so that's why the framerate of the action bar in battles runs at 15 FPS in the remasters instead of 30.

I remember everyone sharing an article saying FFX HD’s resolution was 480p on Switch back when it came out

With the file size and performance differences, guess I’ll get these on PS5 at an inevitable sale price. Still glad they are coming to switch though.

I wish they would port the 3DS version of MGS3 as well. I'm playing it right now on emulator and it's honestly the best version of the game

Not gonna let the 30fps bother me enough to not get the only modern version of MGS1 that actually looks correct.

Oh i really want Konami to rerelease Twin Snakes (that was 60 fps) and try to explain why that goes at 60 in the future considering is literrally MGS2

You can buy the games individually so you could just get 1 and 3 if the frame rate for 2 is an issue for you. That’s what I’m considering anyway. I’ll get 2 if they update it down the line.

To think that for sure they will try another Silent Hill collection, i hope at least for that they learbed to spend money and actually have time for it

So, it turns out to be 720p docked instead, contrary to Konami's PR-statement.

John counted the pixels from a direct-feed .mp4

tenor.gif

I was really looking forward to the Switch version, but Konami really shit the bed. Lazy and unacceptable. I hope there’s enough backlash to get Konami to fix these issues via updates.

Glad I went with getting Rain Code instead of this garbage of a port.

And they tell me Red Dead Redemption on Switch isn't worth the money...

Yeah the PS3 and Switch remasters were based on PS2 version. I suspect they lost the source code of Gamecube version or something.
Nintendo and Silicon Knights have the rights to the code used in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

Back
Top Bottom