• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
I was all-in for the crossover Mario Kart idea (as long it wasn't dropping the Mario Kart brand, because it's just a ludicrous suggestion) when it was an unique proposed kart game made for the Switch, since MK8DX was taking the spot of a regular entry...

But as far sequels go for the next system, I'd say Mario Kart barely reached its potential on exploring Mario's rich extended universe when comes to characters and track designs.. just now we started seeing tracks based on actual location from the games like Yoshi's Island. There's much room to grow on that front.. you don't need the Nintendo themed crossover as filler, imo.

I would rather go all-in on Mario for both drivers and courses but I do think a stronger focus on crossover content is the direction they'll be heading in for 10 (they can call it Mario Kart X to stand for both 10 and crossover). I still optimistically hope Mario will make up the majority though; say, if the game launched with 12 cups, they'd be split into 4 New (Mushroom, Flower, Star, Special), 4 Classic (Shell, Banana, Leaf, Lightning) and 4 Crossover (Triforce, Crossing, Onion, Squid); and non-Mario universe characters would make up no more than a quarter of the roster (hopefully a lot more).

I just wonder how they'd handle retro crossover tracks under this setup lol; like if they wanted to bring back Wuhu Island or Big Blue would it be in a classic cup or a crossover cup?

I would rather go all-in on Mario for both drivers and courses but I do think a stronger focus on crossover content is the direction they'll be heading in for 10 (they can call it Mario Kart X to stand for both 10 and crossover). I still optimistically hope Mario will make up the majority though; say, if the game launched with 12 cups, they'd be split into 4 New (Mushroom, Flower, Star, Special), 4 Classic (Shell, Banana, Leaf, Lightning) and 4 Crossover (Triforce, Crossing, Onion, Squid); and non-Mario universe characters would make up no more than a quarter of the roster (hopefully a lot more).

I just wonder how they'd handle retro crossover tracks under this setup lol; like if they wanted to bring back Wuhu Island or Big Blue would it be in a classic cup or a crossover cup?
Definitely a crossover cup. Gives them an excuse to make less tracks for it AND brings back fan favorites. It's a win win.

I've said this before, but after MK8DX almost exhausting the amount of old tracks (I know there are a few missing), on top of being an almost 10yr old game.. I'd very much like a new Mario Kart with a full set of new tracks and no returning ones. Maybe 48 new tracks is pushing, but I'd settle for less (32) if it means no recycled content at launch.

Then you can bring back a couple of fan favorites as DLC.

My move if I was Nintendo would be to hold edge cases like that for DLC where it wouldn't really matter so you can avoid needing to make a decision

Like how MK8's original DLC was a mix of new and classic courses (e.g. the Triforce Cup having Hyrule Circuit and Ice Ice Outpost alongside Wii Wario Gold Mine and SNES Rainbow Road)

I've said this before, but after MK8DX almost exhausting the amount of old tracks (I know there are a few missing), on top of being an almost 10yr old game.. I'd very much like a new Mario Kart with a full set of new tracks and no returning ones. Maybe 48 new tracks is pushing, but I'd settle for less (32) if it means no recycled content at launch.

Then you can bring back a couple of fan favorites as DLC.
Part of the reason you have retro tracks is the same reason smash has clones/semi clones, they take less time to develop. There's no reason to settle for less tracks, and there's still quiet a few tracks that have never been retros, at least one from every prior game. Stuff like N64 Wario Stadium and GBA Rainbow Road are probably a lock for the next Mario Kart.

Part of the fun of thinking about a new Mario Kart is what retros they’ll bring back, how it will look, what the music will sound, etc. So I do hope they keep bringing back old tracks - especially with how Mario Kart 8 completely gave them a new makeover - been an integral part of the series since 2005!

Updated OP for Wave 6, Wave 5 Banners
Our last wave means one last set of banners to upload and preserve. I'll inevitable update the courses graphics once Wave 6 comes out, but we now have banners themed after every wave. So for posterity, here's the banners used for Wave 5:

The-Race-Continues-Wave-5.png

New-Racers-Wave-5.png

How-to-Purchase-Wave-5.png

Trailers-and-Media-Wave-5.png

See-You-Wave-5.png

No cameos this time or with Wave 6, but I did refine the visual presentation to something I feel pretty proud of. This was a long-term ST project, and I knew that going into the BCP. It's wild to see it finally come to a close, but it's nice to have a thread that's run for nearly two years off the back of these updates. We've come a long way from the days of Wave 1, and it'll be nice to see Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in its final released state.

Been playing MK7 recently because Rosalina's Ice World is coming lol. Dang I'm super excited for this final update.

I still can‘t get over it how ugly that Wii Rainbow Road looks. Someone at Nintendo seem to have forgotten to clean it since 2010 and now there is some layer of milky dust on that track.

It's crazy how 2 years seemed an unreasonably long time when the BCP was announced, and now that it's over it feels like it went by so fast. Will miss all the speculation and anticipation before each wave, hopefully MK9/10 will have a seasonal pass like this to keep me always coming back to the game.

Gonna miss all the speculation over the past two years, at least next thing will finally be a brand new Mario Kart game.

Crazy to think this thread has been around for a year and a half, you did an excellent job @VolcanicDynamo. I still remember some of the mixed feelings about Wave 1's graphics, the excitement when every Wave seemed to get better, the hype announcement of Birdo bringing new characters, the finale of Tour and the surprise of one last 3DS course in the Pass right at the end. What a ride :)

it’s mariover

But in all seriousness I loved following all the speculation and leaks pertaining to this DLC. What an amazing journey!

Version 3.0.0 Patch Notes

Latest update: Ver. 3.0.0 (Released November 8th, 2023)​

Support for DLC​

• Added paid DLC: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass, Wave 6 (two cups, eight courses, four characters, 17 Mii racing suits).

General​

• Added “Music” button to the top menu.
    • This is a feature where you can listen to the background music that plays during the game, as you like.
    • Even players who don’t own the Booster Course Pass can listen to the background music of the DLC courses.
  • Added feature where other players who aren’t friends can join in a Room.
    • After creating a room, press the + Button or – Button to display the Room ID on the Room screen, and tell your fellow racers the Room ID.
    • The other racers can join by entering the Room ID in “Search by Room ID.”
  • Made it so that you can create a Room even if you have 0 friends registered.
  • Added staff credits for the Booster Couse Pass.
    • Conditions for seeing the credits
      • If you have the Booster Course Pass: Clear all DLC cups in Grand Prix mode ranked third or higher (for the second time and later, clear Moon Cup or Spiny Cup ranked third or higher).
      • If you don’t have the Booster Course Pass: After racing in the DLC courses in Online Play or Wireless Play 100 times or more, clear a random cup in Grand Prix mode ranked third or higher (for the second time and later, clear Bell Cup ranked third or higher).
  • Increased the invincibility time of a portion of characters and vehicle customizations.
  • Made it so that you can’t acquire strong items when taking an Item Box by stopping or driving in reverse, or taking an Item Box that is in same location multiple times during a race.
  • Shortened the time between when an Item Box is acquired by someone until it is restored.
  • Lowered the appearance rate of Mirror and 200cc in “Worldwide” and “Regional.”
  • Made it so you can acquire the “Varia Suit” when using a Metroid series amiibo.
  • Made it so you can acquire the “Hylian Suit” when using a Legend of Zelda series amiibo.
  • Made it so you can acquire the “Kirby Suit” when using a Kirby series amiibo.
  • Made it so you can acquire the “Daisy Suit” when using a Daisy amiibo.

Fixed Issues​

• Fixed an issue where no Bob-omb car blows up in Wii Moonview Highway, but a Bob-omb car blows up for someone you are playing with online.
  • Fixed an issue where, when racing against a Ghost in Time Trials on Yoshi's Island, the red road would not appear even though the Ghost touched the Winged Cloud.

"Made it so that you can’t acquire strong items when taking an Item Box by stopping or driving in reverse, or taking an Item Box that is in same location multiple times during a race."

HELLO?

I'll be back to tell you guys how the courses play in 17 hours 18 minutes

EDIT: make that 17 hours 17 minutes

I did a hard restart on my Switch and restated the download....yeah their servers are getting hammered or something.

edit: Ok just showing 5 minutes now, 18%.

Beat both cups in 150cc, easily the best wave between the courses, characters and mii costumes. Not a single dud track.

Just got in, went to check out the music menu and it's very slick: organized by cups, just click on the track icon you want.

Wii Rainbow Road and Rosalina's Ice World are gorgeous. All the new tracks look and sound fantastic.

Holy shit the new credits are sick! They did not have to go this hard.

2 winner cups imo. Wii Rainbow Road and Rosalina’s Ice World are indeed stunning.

Piranha Plant Cove might be my favourite one here - love the variation between the laps, the ruins and constantly going in and out of the water!

They did Wii Rainbow Road justice. 3 minutes long, even preserved the flame effect when you fall off. Love it.

This is probably the best wave, especially in terms of graphics. Great stuff.

Wow loving this update so far! The fact that they kept the flaming comet effect when you fall off Wii Rainbow Road made me actually lol.

Diddy Kong finally being playable in this game after almost a decade feels like an ancient wrong has finally been made right. He may look slightly deep fried, but he’s finally here :)

Have had a very busy week so I totally missed this happened right now! Super pumped to dive in!!

My husband and I just played it! Both of us loved every single track from this wave! Wii Rainbow Road is peak fiction!

Composers loved the strings in Daisy Cruiser so much, they decided to do it again for Daisy Circuit.

And man, I’m happy they did. Beautiful music.

Back
Top Bottom