• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
I gotta say the fact that the visual rework here is so strong, with Bowser Castle 3 and Rainbow Road basically looking at least 95% like base 8, and all the other tracks having very solid retexture work, especially DK Mountain, really shows that they were just extremely unfocused or unambitious with most of the previous cups if all of them could have looked like this since the beginning.

Unless this wave had more time in the oven that one might think, which may explain why wave 5 was kind of a step down from wave 4 and even 3 visually.

Final breakdown of all non OG circuits in MK 8 DX + BCP per game:

SNES - 4 (2 Base + 2 BCP)
N64 - 6 (4 Base + 2 BCP)
GBA - 8 (3 Base + 5 BCP)
GC - 6 (3 Base + 3 BCP)
DS - 7 (3 Base + 4 BCP)
Wii - 11 (3 Base + 8 BCP)
3DS - 8 (4 Base + 4 BCP)
Tour - 14

Its interesting how they double all previous games representation except Wii where they included almost thrice the amount of tracks.

Are you fine or do you have want a different representation per game?

N64 - 6 (4 Base + 2 BCP)
GBA - 8 (3 Base + 5 BCP)
GC - 6 (3 Base + 3 BCP)
DS - 7 (3 Base + 4 BCP)
3DS - 8 (4 Base + 4 BCP)
Tour - 14

Its interesting how they double all previous games representation except Wii where they included almost thrice the amount of tracks.

That's fine but they better add Wario Coliseum from Double Dash....

N64 - 6 (4 Base + 2 BCP)
GBA - 8 (3 Base + 5 BCP)
GC - 6 (3 Base + 3 BCP)
DS - 7 (3 Base + 4 BCP)
3DS - 8 (4 Base + 4 BCP)
Tour - 14

I wouldn't have minded a few more N64 tracks
Frappe Snowland instead of Rosalina Ice World
Banshee Boardwalk
DK Jungle Parkway
Wario Stadium

How would y’all rank all five of the Rainbow Roads in MK8D?

For me:

1) 3DS Rainbow Road. This one is my favorite in the series. It’s gorgeous, otherworldly, amazing music. drifting on the planets rings, bouncing on the moon… it’s just so memorable.

2) N64 Rainbow Road. Too short yeah, but I’m super nostalgic for 8’s version of this one. I remember when it was first revealed with the visual upgrade and new remix, it’s just pure joy to play through.

3) Wii Rainbow Road. Just a great and tricky track, and I’m a sucker for galaxy music.

4) SNES Rainbow Road. Loved the visual overhaul this one got too, simple but great

5) Rainbow Road. The brand new one is actually my least favorite. Just think I didn’t vibe too much with the space station setting, layout isn’t crazy memorable either. Good track, but I love the others.

For me:

1) 3DS Rainbow Road. This one is my favorite in the series. It’s gorgeous, otherworldly, amazing music. drifting on the planets rings, bouncing on the moon… it’s just so memorable.

2) N64 Rainbow Road. Too short yeah, but I’m super nostalgic for 8’s version of this one. I remember when it was first revealed with the visual upgrade and new remix, it’s just pure joy to play through.

3) Wii Rainbow Road. Just a great and tricky track, and I’m a sucker for galaxy music.

4) SNES Rainbow Road. Loved the visual overhaul this one got too, simple but great

5) Rainbow Road. The brand new one is actually my least favorite. Just think I didn’t vibe too much with the space station setting, layout isn’t crazy memorable either. Good track, but I love the others.
1 Rainbow Road Wii - My favorite in the series. It lost some of its bite here, but it’s still a fun ride from start to finish.

2 Rainbow Road 8 - Has that one wicked turn near the start. It’s pretty solid overall though it does feel a tad redundant with Rainbow Road Wii in the game.

3 Rainbow Road 7 - This one grew on me a ton here, but none of the obstacles are too tough which is what I want most in a Rainbow Road. Cool journey though.

4 Rainbow Road 64 - I wish this was more than one lap and it’s not tough at all, but it’s a great spectacle and just feels cool to race on.

5 Rainbow Road - I like this one a lot! It’s got some fun turns and good obstacles with the thwomps. Probably the third most difficult of the courses which I appreciate.

Number one is unquestionably 3DS Rainbow Road for me. It has my favorite texture for the rainbow road itself, zooming through the planets is sheer delight, and I like that even if you mess up you can still enjoy the wonderful sights of the other path.

Number 2 is MK8’s own RR. I love love love the space station theming (the Blooper spaceship always make me smile), and I think I have the hardest time with this RR compared to the others, which makes it all the more engaging.

Number 3 is SNES. Amazing update to the original that is much, much better than it has any right to be. Short and sweet and the neon Thwomps look fantastic.

Number 4 is N64. It’s so festive! The beautiful fireworks, the Toads on the train throwing down coins for you, it’s a joy from start to finish. I’d love to visit this course for real.

Number 5 is the Wii one, which might be because I haven’t had enough time with it yet. It kind of feels like the “textbook” Rainbow Road, which is fine but the others are so much more interesting.

1) SNES RR - The goat
2) MK8 RR - The best layout in my opinion, the most fun to play
3) 3DS RR - Great theme and diversity, just a bit short
4) Wii RR - It's solid, nothing more nothing less
5) N64 RR - Just really boring, there's nothing going on. Great music though

Wii RR: epic, great layout, varied, challenging, overall perfect
3DS RR: one of the easiest RR, but extremely fun and super memorable, truly special
SNES RR: a simple track, but super intense and fun
N64 RR: a very simple track layout wise, but overall fun and memorable
8 RR: it's just a bunch of akward curves after akward curves, and the middle section in the space station is the only good part, plus it has the least memorable ost of these 5, kinda hate it.

Oh Rainbow Road ratings? For me it's

3DS > Wii > N64 > 8 > SNES

Love them all though. I think the only RR in general I don't care so much for is the DS one. Outside of the corkscrew it felt mostly derivative of the DD rainbow road with the worst music of them all imo.

For me:

Swap 4 and 5 and you got my list, although I do love both of them. It's a lot easier to appreciate Wii U Rainbow Road now that we've got 4 others, and it doesn't have to live up to being the Rainbow Road of the game, for lack of a better phrase. It can be it's own thing, and for what it is, it's a pretty rad space track.

re: RR, Wii > 8 > SNES > 7 > N64
Honestly I could be persuaded to swap 8 and Wii for #s 1 and 2. They're both strong technical tracks with fun cuts, aesthetically I've got no issues with either. RR8 is much tougher on 200cc, though I prefer Wii for 150cc. Never got the distate for 8's Rainbow Road, and I say that as someone who's been harsh on vanilla 8's track selection.

3DS and SNES are like complete opposites in terms of design, I prefer the more straightforward approach of SMK's. 7's isn't awful but it's kind of all over the place and isn't as difficult as other Special Cup tracks have been. 64 is what it is, maybe I'd put it above 7's if it were two laps instead of one.

Rainbow road

3DS > Current Wii (old Wii has some camera Jank, especially with the star ramps) > DS (sick loopdeloop) > SNES (fast, hard and fun) > 8 (its good, no notes, but doesn't blow me away > Gamecube > N64 (pretty, but very boring especially the old version). > don't remember any GBA one

Beat all the staff ghosts for Wave 6. There's a few 200cc from earlier waves I didn't get around to beating, but I don't think I'm gonna bother coming back to them.

N64 - 6 (4 Base + 2 BCP)
GBA - 8 (3 Base + 5 BCP)
GC - 6 (3 Base + 3 BCP)
DS - 7 (3 Base + 4 BCP)
3DS - 8 (4 Base + 4 BCP)
Tour - 14

Since Double Dash is the Mario Kart game I've played the most and Wii is one of my least played Mario Kart games, I would have wanted more GC courses at the cost of Wii. For Tour, I think it's maybe personally okay because I've barely touched the game and putting the circuits in a console game with versions that consolidate the various track versions feels almost like preservation. That said, I don't like the real-world themes, just like I don't like the Mercedes parts, so I'd probably cut the ones that are city-based and bump up the representation of the other console games that are lagging instead.

Finally got round to playing the last couple of waves. Some great tracks here, with SNES Bowser Castle 3 and Wii Rainbow Road being my favourite.

Pauline might be a new main too. Love her animations - the way her hair moves is oddly satisfying for some reason - and the fact that she occasionally sings while gliding is a very charming touch.

Last edited:

There's a lot of retro courses to include in next MK, plus some MK8 courses.

Seeing the Mushroom City footage reminded me: The red arrows warning of turns ahead used to be solid objects, integrated into the environment, and clearly convey they're a road block, rather than the semi-transparent, floating in the air signs of Tour's city tracks with what often looks like viable race paths behind them.

Quoted by: Tye
Thought this video was interesting! This Youtuber had users vote on all the tracks using a five star scale and ranked them all. 3DS Toad Circuit placed at the bottom, and Wii Rainbow Road placed on top.

DK Mountain is where the Art Direction of the Booster Course Pass shines the most. The color choices in the DLC tracks are I think overall better than in the base game though they were hold back by some bad models and lacking textures. But DK Mountain, even if it has little texture work at some places, is looking really fresh.

Last edited:
Seeing the Mushroom City footage reminded me: The red arrows warning of turns ahead used to be solid objects, integrated into the environment, and clearly convey they're a road block, rather than the semi-transparent, floating in the air signs of Tour's city tracks with what often looks like viable race paths behind them.
They’re only like that in Tour/BCP courses because of the whole changing up laps gimmick. It literally is a viable race path beyond them, because they’re blocking paths that are just made inaccessible for that lap. And they can’t be physically present in the course because it has to change between laps, and it has to be able to work for everyone regardless of what lap they’re on—for example, two players could be approaching the same split in the path, but one is lagging behind by a whole lap, so one player has to be allowed entry to the lap 2 path while the other has to stick to the lap 1 path.

For Rainbow Road in this game my ranking would be Wii > 3DS > 8 > SNES > N64.

N64 Rainbow Road is 10/10 visuals and music. But it's way too short to feel fully enjoyed, it feels like one of the shortest tracks in the game.

Getting a 3-pack of dud courses for selection, so you pick random, then it lands on your choice and randomly picks DK Mountain is peak satisfaction.

Thought this video was interesting! This Youtuber had users vote on all the tracks using a five star scale and ranked them all. 3DS Toad Circuit placed at the bottom, and Wii Rainbow Road placed on top.

Oh good, 3DS Toad Circuit is definitely the most unremarkable track here.

I will never, ever understand the hate for Bone Dry Dunes. Second to last???
The track just feels awkward to race on for me. Especially the split path right before and during the anti-gravity section, the turns feel extremely awkward and I can never manage to do them right. And this is coming from a guy that loves playing and is good at 200cc.

The track just feels awkward to race on for me. Especially the split path right before and during the anti-gravity section, the turns feel extremely awkward and I can never manage to do them right. And this is coming from a guy that loves playing and is good at 200cc.
When I drive on the left road at the mini split track before the turn to the the anti gravity section is much more manageable for me. But I get what you mean. I really hate the two sharp turns shortly before the Finish Line.

People seem to really dislike the more basic and simple Tracks, and here I am all "Ah, nice, Toad Circuit, a nice break from the "WTF IS GOING ON AHH!" chaos that so many tracks has, especially online XD
I love me some creative whacky tracks but you really need some simple ones to even them out, and to give a bit more focus on item play and such.

Also please delete all the City Tracks, they are awful and bring the game down a lot for me.

So with this out of the way, what's EPD9/Yabuki''s next move now?
The next Mario kart probably Is switch 2 launch year, it’s pretty clear form these credits that they have definitely been working on the next one for awhile..

Also I think it takes a more live service/ splatoon like approach across liek 5 or 6 years of updates. I think we will see a lot of repeated retros next game. I think that era of Mario kart is over, the days of 32 tracks and even 48 tracks are over I think.

I full belief the next game will pass 100 tracks but maybe after years of updates.

They’re only like that in Tour/BCP courses because of the whole changing up laps gimmick. It literally is a viable race path beyond them, because they’re blocking paths that are just made inaccessible for that lap. And they can’t be physically present in the course because it has to change between laps, and it has to be able to work for everyone regardless of what lap they’re on—for example, two players could be approaching the same split in the path, but one is lagging behind by a whole lap, so one player has to be allowed entry to the lap 2 path while the other has to stick to the lap 1 path.

For the record, they actually fix this in other tracks by having physical walls and obstacles be present for other players but not for you.

Super noticeable in Kalimari Desert with the ramps that appear on the last lap to steer you into the train tracks. If a lapped player is present, they just see you fly in the air.

Quoted by: Tye
For the record, they actually fix this in other tracks by having physical walls and obstacles be present for other players but not for you.

Super noticeable in Kalimari Desert with the ramps that appear on the last lap to steer you into the train tracks. If a lapped player is present, they just see you fly in the air.
Sure, but as you pointed out, that can be super jarring to see in game, so it makes sense that for the most part they go with a better solution that works more smoothly.

Haha you're right. I made a mistake.
I was so confused. 😭

I'm one of the people who's been playing Mario Kart 8 since its launch in 2014. I shouldn't be too surprised that people are more familiar with the Deluxe version selling an order of magnitude more. 🤪

Back
Top Bottom