• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
A Diddy Kong Racing track would fit in Mario Kart 8 like a glove; you don't even need to make too many alterations, since you already can use the plane and boat sections for gliding and underwater shortcuts, respectively

My second cousin at Nintendo said that the last 2 characters are NES ROB and Famicom ROB representing the global and Japanese versions of Mario Kart DS

On one hand, I love the nighttime traffic/city courses, so Moonview missing out on the BCP was gonna make it a good candidate for what would surely be an incredible looking remake in MK10.

On the other hand, I didn’t play much MKWii, so I’m excited to finally try it out! Mushroom City can get the sexy remake treatment in MK10 instead now

I think it's hilarious that the final wave will include two courses with Piranha Plant in the name even though the courses are quite different. I hope they put them back-to-back in the same cup for maximum confusion. Also hilarious that Petey wasn't released in the same wave as two of his courses! Piranha Plant Rainbow Road as the final nitro? 😂

Piranha Plant Pipeline is a terrible name, but at least it opens the door for Airship Fortress. If we can have two Piranha Plant tracks in wave 6, we can have two Bowser related tracks.

So, I'll go with these for my wave 6 predictions, although they're very subject to change depending on what datamines show over the next week.
  • ACORN CUP
    • Tour MD
    • SNES Bowser Castle 3
    • GCN DK Mountain
    • Piranha Plant Cove
  • SPINY CUP
    • Tour Rome Avanti
    • Piranha Plant Pipeline
    • DS Airship Fortress
    • Wii Rainbow Road

Walking into Wave 5 which tracks are you most looking forward to racing on? I think for me it’s:

1 Vancouver - people here have hyped this one hard so I’m hyped.
2 Koopa Cape - it may be gutted, but it’s been my number one most wanted retro.
3 LA - SoCal <3
4 Moonview - Great course!
5 Athens - It’s new to me!
6 Daisy Cruiser - This is a good course. I’m looking forward to it.
7 Squeaky Clean - I feel like I don’t have a great sense of this one yet, but I’m intrigued.
8 Sunset Wilds - Good course. Quietly excited.
  1. Squeaky Clean Sprint
  2. Vancouver
  3. Los Angeles
  4. Athens
  5. Koopa Cape
  6. Moonview Highway
  7. Daisy Cruiser
  8. Sunset Wilds
Really digging the Tour tracks this time around, but everything looks great for the most part. The wave seems to be lacking an "x-factor" track though, for lack of a better word. No Coconut Mall, Waluigi Pinball, Maple Treeway, Rainbow Road, or Yoshi's Island. Hoping SCS can fill that void.

Walking into Wave 5 which tracks are you most looking forward to racing on? I think for me it’s:

3 LA - SoCal <3
7 Squeaky Clean - I feel like I don’t have a great sense of this one yet, but I’m intrigued.
1. Vancouver Velocity. This course might actually make me a little emotional, because I lived in the PNW for a few months and loved the area. I had wanted to visit Vancouver while I was up there but didn't have a passport, but I could see the the mountains featured in the track from the border.
2. Daisy Cruiser. It looks like a really fun summer track! I love the branching paths.
3. Athens Dash. I love the verticality and I've always wanted to visit Athens.
4. Los Angeles Laps. I actually did visit the city this time, and it's going to feel weird racing in a fictionalized city that I've been to. Plus the track looks super fun.
5. Squeaky Clean Sprint. The track design looks amazing, even if I'm not a fan of the theme.
6. Moonview Highway. This looks like a standard city track, just without branching paths. It'll be fun, but nothing special.
7. Koopa Cape. Looks kinda generic, but I'm sure it'll be fine.
8. Sunset Wilds. I really don't like how this looks based off the trailers. It's way too orange. Plus the layout is pretty simple. Not excited.

My Wave 5 hype ranking:

1. Squeaky Clean Sprint: A new track almost by default would top my list, but this one also has a really cool theme and aesthetic to it so I'm excited to finally play this after the years of a rumored bathroom track coming to Tour

2. Moonview Highway: I don't have a lot to add other than the complete shock this actually made it into the BCP. Its one of those Wii tracks that really deserved another shot and Im glad it came over. Biggest surprise of the wave!

3. Vancouver Velocity: This is the clear fan favorite of Tour's cities and I can't wait to play it in Wave 5. Really no complaints

4. Los Angeles Laps: Absolutely love this track and how it's a city that's a total section track. My only disappointment is the music from the previews sounds like the old crunchiness is gone and smoothed more with jazz, dunno how to explain other than the remix not hitting the same vibe

5. Sunset Wilds: This was the GBA track I most wanted in the BCP. It looks solid overall but possibly not getting the sunset to night transition really hurts the aesthetic of this track.

6. Koopa Cape: This is a really good course overall, but I'm just not that excited for it as it's one of those Wii tracks that's been in every Mario Kart release following its debut in MK Wii.

7. Athens Dash: This is a fine city in Tour but it doesn't feel like a big standout to me and we are getting arguably Tour's 2 best cities this wave so this one comes up short in mindshare for me

8. Daisy Cruiser: This is an OK track but not a personal favorite due to how wide the lanes are and the lack of obstacles other than the shifting tables in the dining room

Looks like this will release 10AM JST on Wednesday (which is 9PM EST, July 11th)

The delivery date for the 5th installment of the paid additional content of "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe", "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Course Additional Pass" has been decided on July 12 (Wednesday) at 10:00 am. (Machine translated)

Looks like this will release 10AM JST on Wednesday (which is 9PM EST, July 11th)

Nice, just like last time. Can't wait :)

Nintendo releasing Piranha Plant Cove and Piranha Plant Pipeline in the same wave, in a game that already has Piranha Plant Slide...... such a troll move 🫠

Really curious to find out Moonview Highway's course ID next week. Did it replace a GCN track, a ??? track, Wii Rainbow Road...... or could it have been moved up from a hypothetical Wave 7.......

So…is Piranha Plant Pipeline based on the DS Dokan course or not? Or have we still not seen enough to know for sure?

Now that we know mobDK isn't actually a Donkey Kong themed course and we aren't sure if there's going to be one in the last wave, the two last character slots seem much less certain, don't they?

I could see them still adding Diddy and Pauline even without a DK course to tie in, but I could also see them going for another surprise like Wiggler.
Even without a new Donkey Kong course, Diddy and Pauline are, like, the two most obvious choices. Doesn’t mean they can’t mix things up, but I’d be surprised if they did. And now we know there’s clearly no effort being made to match characters to courses anyway, since we’re getting Petey Piranha this wave while the two new Piranha Plant themed courses are due for the final wave.

So…is Piranha Plant Pipeline based on the DS Dokan course or not? Or have we still not seen enough to know for sure?
It's inspired by it, but not a direct recreation. The original didn't have branching paths.

Quoted by: Tye

3 LA - SoCal <3

I don't play tour so.....

1. Koopa Cape- Still a top 3 Wii course
2. Daisy Cruiser- The tables better move!
3. Squeaky Clean- Looks like a lot of fun
4. Moonview Highway- Still don't remember this course
5. Sunset Wilds- The GBA courses have largely been just ok.
6. Vancouver- They hosted the Olympics once, that was cool.
7. LA- Lakers suck
8. Athens- They invented the Olympics. That was pretty cool too

I just realized the music is totally different too… So it does seems to be its own thing. I kinda question whether it’s even inspired by the unused DS course at all, honestly.
Maybe not directly inspired by but they are definitely going for the same theming with heavy reliance on the pipeline for both. It is interesting to wonder if a similar aesthetic would've been achieved if dokan_course was finished in DS.

I just realized the music is totally different too… So it does seems to be its own thing. I kinda question whether it’s even inspired by the unused DS course at all, honestly.
It definitely is. The course name in the files is the same (Dokan), the colors are the same, there's even a weird narrowing of the starting line that's the same. It's just not a recreation. More of a expanded remake.

Quoted by: Tye
It definitely is. The course name in the files is the same (Dokan), the colors are the same, there's even a weird narrowing of the starting line that's the same. It's just not a recreation. More of an expanded remake.
Why wouldn’t they have kept the unused music then? Even if it was just as a small part of a new song? I mean, I guess we haven’t heard the whole song yet so it’s still possible, but they’re not exactly being upfront about it if so. And “dokan/pipe course” isn’t exactly a super unique concept. Guess we’ll know more next week, though.

1. Vancouver Velocity. This course might actually make me a little emotional, because I lived in the PNW for a few months and loved the area. I had wanted to visit Vancouver while I was up there but didn't have a passport, but I could see the the mountains featured in the track from the border.
2. Daisy Cruiser. It looks like a really fun summer track! I love the branching paths.
3. Athens Dash. I love the verticality and I've always wanted to visit Athens.
4. Los Angeles Laps. I actually did visit the city this time, and it's going to feel weird racing in a fictionalized city that I've been to. Plus the track looks super fun.
5. Squeaky Clean Sprint. The track design looks amazing, even if I'm not a fan of the theme.
6. Moonview Highway. This looks like a standard city track, just without branching paths. It'll be fun, but nothing special.
7. Koopa Cape. Looks kinda generic, but I'm sure it'll be fine.
8. Sunset Wilds. I really don't like how this looks based off the trailers. It's way too orange. Plus the layout is pretty simple. Not excited.
1. Vancouver Velocity - My favourite city track. I'm very excited I get to play this one earlier than I expected. It looks beautiful in the trailer and the anti-gravity addition is very cool.
2. Daisy Cruiser - This is my 2nd favourite GCN track after DK Mountain. It looks beautiful in this version! The floating Goombas and NPCs in the dining hall are such cute touches.
3. Athens Dash- Really cool take on a city course. I love the multiple obstacles and verticality. Really enjoy the music too. Makes me nostalgic for Athens.
4. Squeaky Clean Sprint - The colours and textures look beautiful. I love all the Easter Eggs. I'm still unsure if the layout is going to be simplistic or not, but it seems to have a decent amount going on. The music I'm also not sure of. It sounds kinda out of place but maybe I'll be more immersed when playing it.
5. Koopa Cape - Can't believe I'm rating this one so low! One of my fave Wii tracks. I don't like the tan coloured rocks in this version, but the water and koopa shells look great. There are just others I'm more excited about.
6 LA Laps - Even though this is 6th place, I am hyped for this course. They improved the music by removing the annoying, repetitive vocals. The layout is fun. I just don't have any particular resonance with LA in general.
7. Sunset Wilds - GBA courses always look fantastic in the BCP and this is no exception. However, the layout is very simplistic.
8. Moonview Highway - I'm not a fan of traffic courses in general. The glowy lighting looks like it will be beautiful, but I always found this to be a meh course on Wii.

The new course is really called Piranha Plant Pipeline?

Isn’t 3DS Piranha Plant Slide called Piranha Plant Pipeway in Europe? That’s wayyyy to close imo

The new course is really called Piranha Plant Pipeline?

Isn’t 3DS Piranha Plant Slide called Piranha Plant Pipeway in Europe? That’s wayyyy to close imo
Yeah the EU name for Piranha Plant Slide is Piranha Plant Pipeway so the English localization of Pipe Canyon (the Japanese name) being Piranha Plant Pipeline is just bad.

I'm not convinced yet because it's strange that they haven't shown nighttime skybox transition but we are like 4-5 days away so we will find out pretty soon.
I'm convinced on Daisy Cruiser. The tables definitely look to be in different spots.
Also not convinced on Sunset Wilds yet. I need a night time screenshot of this version.

If Sunset Wilds does not have the sunset to night transition, then it will be the biggest wasted slot in the pack because that gimmick is a huge part of that course's identity and it would've been better to pick a different track instead if there is no transition.

I'm still holding out hope because Nintendo must know they can't just get rid of the transition in 8 Deluxe. People will be very upset.

I'm convinced on Daisy Cruiser. The tables definitely look to be in different spots.
Also not convinced on Sunset Wilds yet. I need a night time screenshot of this version.
They also haven't shown half of Los Angeles Laps, the park section of Vancouver Velocity, or the mountain climb section in Athens Dash. The marketing for this Wave is weird all around.

I was more referring to them removing the native american imagery. I could see "Certain people" complaining about that

If it happens in Tour why are we even entertaining the possibility that it won’t in 8DX?

I think there's a few layers to it:
  • It isn't clearly shown in any footage or screenshots thus far; I feel it's a little silly to rule it out solely based on that though, given how much isn't shown from all of the other tracks.
  • It works differently in Tour compared to the original. In Super Circuit the sun lowers per-lap, but since Tour only has two laps it instead switches to night on a set timer, regardless of lap progress (difficult to notice since you're constantly moving in Tour and it's timed to the average lap time for lap 1). Given 8DX has the proper three laps it's been up in the air which method they would even use.
  • The skyboxes in the BCP aren't reused from Tour, so that's not an asset that would immediately carry over without question.
  • 8DX hasn't had any dynamic changes in lighting like that as far as I recall; it'd be something new for the game.
It does appear that the sun has lowered between two of the shots we can see, but I don't blame people for being sketpical. Not everything has made the cut to 8DX so far; original car park layout and functionality for Coconut Mall, Inky Piranha Plants in Bangkok, Sidesteppers in Singapore; so it's not like anything is really a given here.

As far as we know the course never had music composed for it in the first place. The track you hear when you force the course to load in those leaked early builds is just the default track that the game loads as a failsafe; in the final game this would be the title screen theme, but in those demo builds it is an unused circuit theme (based on the name SEQ_CIRCUIT2, maybe intended for Mario Circuit). Plays on plenty of the other test / early courses too.

We're never going to know for sure if it was truly inspired by the scrapped DS course; easy to imagine them coming up with the same general theme independently; but the music isn't a deciding point on that.

DS beta Dokan course has virtually no features outside of the track having pipes and a grated floor. There's nothing to "inspire" from it because pipes are a common visual element in Mario games and "what if Mario drove his kart through one" has been a thing since 64. I could just as easily argue that Koopa Cape is inspired by the DS beta Dokan course, and I wouldn't have to ask the question of why it took them 18 years to make good on it

I'm sure I'm not the first one to have this sentiment but I really wish there was just a dedicated pass for more characters; 6 new ones is nice but Tour has so many unique characters it's a shame they're stuck in that game and not in 8 Deluxe. Hoping for Diddy and Pauline in the final wave but no matter who the final two are there's a ton of missing ones that'd have been great to see.

Track-wise I'm less disappointed (no Airship Fortress aside), but if the tracks weren't regulated to what's already in Tour then Toad Factory and Wario Colosseum would've been my personal picks to bring back.

I watch the trailer again, I'm not someone who absolutely wants big graphics, but the bare minimum hasn't even been done in the background here :

1688806858-mk.jpg

The same kind of thing happens on Koopa Cape, with the cartoonish simplistic trees next to the well-detailed shell full of reflective effect.

What bothers me a bit is not the overall graphic quality of the pass, but that it's inconsistent.
It's interesting to see that there were already graphic inconsistencies from wave to wave, then within a same wave, and now even within a same track !

Yeah I don't know but for some reason or another it doesn't even bother me on Athens Dash 😬
I don't think it'll bother me at all in-game, I couldn't even see what the complaint was with Shroom Ridge to be honest. But for this one, seeing the trailer again without the excitement of discovering what's in store for us, it kind of jumped out at me haha

If Moonview Highway replaced Mushroom Bridge, it's definitely a change for the better. It's sad to only get 3 GCN tracks in the BCP (and all of them are ones that have already returned in some form), but Bridge is such a weak, overhyped track in my opinion. I think people go crazy about the railings and forget that the other 90 percent of the track is boring. If it was Mushroom City, I would be really upset, but that clearly didn't even have plans to be in Tour at all. Just makes me wonder why they go through the effort of making all the original cars again only to use them on the more basic of the two tracks.

Just makes me wonder why they go through the effort of making all the original cars again only to use them on the more basic of the two tracks.

Well the Bomb Car is used for Moonview too, and the Mushroom Car is actually used on the R and R/T variants of it as well. Doesn't seem to be something carried into 8DX though, and the Wiggler Wagon remains exclusive to Bridge.

My order of preference has always been City > Highway > Bridge so i'm not too fussed about GCN losing a track if this is the result. Makes it equal to DS and 7 in course count anyhow, so that's not too bad.

Updated OP for Wave 5, Wave 4 Banners + Cameos
Say hello to the new and improved ST! I've swapped editing software and changed up how I approached the graphics and banners. As of writing this post, I haven't changed the title banner, but you may see some changes in the future.

As usual, here are the banners that were used for Wave 5. Each of them features a hidden cameo from The Super Mario Bros. Movie:

The-Race-Continues-Wave4.png

How-To-Purchase-Wave4.png

Trailers-Media-Wave4.png

See-You-Wave4.png

No cameos on the newest banners, at least not yet. I'm still getting used to my new software. But I hope you enjoy the spruced up presentation!

Excited for finally more new characters. While they are not really 'important' like tracks, I like the variety.
I am the most excited for finally a new MK tho. MK8 is great but I am excited for it to be 'done' so we can eventually get a brand new one.
I'll gladly take a smaller Track Selection for starters, if it means a new 'feel' of MK once more. With new character models, assets, vehicles, gimmicks, voice lines, Battle Mode, etc.
But yeah, excited for this batch, tho I just... don't like the Tour City tracks, they are so visually confusing compared to more normal MK tracks.

Excited for finally more new characters. While they are not really 'important' like tracks, I like the variety.
I am the most excited for finally a new MK tho. MK8 is great but I am excited for it to be 'done' so we can eventually get a brand new one.
I'll gladly take a smaller Track Selection for starters, if it means a new 'feel' of MK once more. With new character models, assets, vehicles, gimmicks, voice lines, Battle Mode, etc.
But yeah, excited for this batch, tho I just... don't like the Tour City tracks, they are so visually confusing compared to more normal MK tracks.
I'm in no hurry to let go of Mario Kart 8D, but I can't wait to see the next game!
I find Mario Kart 8 almost perfect gameplay-wise and it has the best track selection (nitro and retro) of any Mario Kart imo but new gameplay, new artistic direction and, more generally, new ideas will be much appreciated after so many years.
I'm not a big fan of City tracks either, my favorite is Amsterdam and it's precisely the one that feels the least "city", otherwise I'd say it's Sydney. I don't find most of them very inspired, that they lack memorable sections, and that they're pretty confusing the first time. That said, I don't hate them either, and I still enjoy playing them. And the three to come look very promising judged from the images I've seen, maybe my new top 3 will be all here :)

I'm in no hurry to let go of Mario Kart 8D, but I can't wait to see the next game!
I find Mario Kart 8 almost perfect gameplay-wise and it has the best track selection (nitro and retro) of any Mario Kart imo but new gameplay, new artistic direction and, more generally, new ideas will be much appreciated after so many years.
I'm not a big fan of City tracks either, my favorite is Amsterdam and it's precisely the one that feels the least "city", otherwise I'd say it's Sydney. I don't find most of them very inspired, that they lack memorable sections, and that they're pretty confusing the first time. That said, I don't hate them either, and I still enjoy playing them. And the three to come look very promising judged from the images I've seen, maybe my new top 3 will be all here :)
Yeah, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is almost certainly the 'best' Mario Kart, it is very very good. It's like Smash Ultimate. SO much in it, plays very well. But as good as they are, I do desire a new one to do something different after so long, haha. Story Mode, anyone?
The City Tracks are just a bit too confusing to me. I'd prefer them a lot more if they did not change for every lap. Makes it hard for me to learn them. I kinda don't have a favorite cuz they all blend together for me, I admit ._.

I hear ya on the city tracks. Do you play Tour? If not, I promise you that Athens, LA, and Vancouver are all bangers. In their own ways they also feel less like traditional city tracks. Athens is almost entirely around the ruins of the Acropolis, LA is largely by the beach and oil fields, and Vancouver leaves the downtown core for the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Stanley Park's Lost Lagoon.

Back
Top Bottom