• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
My OCD is scared to see what will happen to the character select screen after Birdo

God no matter what it's gonna look ugly 😭

Quoted by: Tye
WARNING: pointless rant coming. I just kinda like tracking this game’s journey with its retro tracks.

If the remaining prefixes from the leak are correct, MK8D will have over half of MKW’s Nitro courses and exactly half of MKDD’s. That’s kinda crazy.

N64 got a big head start with vanilla MK8 back on Wii U, it was heavily represented in the retro cup with 4 tracks - which was kind of odd to me given MKWii and MK7 represented the most recent games before them the most. However, it wasn’t represented at all in MK8 Wii U’s DLC and only has 2 in the BCP.

Gamecube and Wii have played tons of catch up. GCN went from two courses in MK8 vanilla, another two in its DLC, and then will presumably have another 4 by the time the BCP finishes. Increasing by 6 from vanilla MK8. Wii had 2 in the original, gained another from MK8’s DLC, and will presumably gain another SIX by the end of the BCP. MKWii will be by far the best represented by the end of the BCP.

GBA though, might be the star of the show for me. Starting with a mere 1 - Mario Circuit at that - and gaining tons of its more unique courses after. Ribbon Road and Cheese Land getting great remakes in the Wii U DLC, and another FIVE courses in the BCP - including great looking Boo Lake and Riverside Park remakes so far. It’s total went from 1 to 8.
3DS pretty even throughout - 3 in the original, another 1 in the DLC and then another 3 in the BCP.

SNES though… by far the worst represented. Only one in the original, one in the DLC, and two by the end of the BCP. Im not that bothered by that though, it’s the least interesting to pull from at this point.

So we have

9 - MKW
8 - MKDD
8 - MKSC
7 - MK7
7 - MKDS
6 - MK64
4 - SMK

The original game had

4 - MK64
3 - MKDS
3 - MK7
2 - MKW
2 - MKDD
1 - MKSC
1 - SMK

Overall thoughts
  • SNES and N64 are about where they should be. N64 got a lot more love than it normally would’ve in original MK8, so it not gaining much post-launch is fine with me.
  • Super Circuit is the big winner of post launch MK8, I’ve loved seeing it’s stuff remade as someone who didn’t play much.
  • MKWii and DD showings will be amazing, though we still have the majority of their courses in Waves 5 and 6 so we’ll have to see on the execution
  • MK7, as the most recent entry, could’ve gotten like 1 or two more overall and I would’ve been fine. But all of it’s remakes have all been great

Last edited:
My OCD is scared to see what will happen to the character select screen after Birdo

God no matter what it's gonna look ugly 😭
They could do something like these mockups and have it look fine…but I have the same worries as you, lol. I’m just hoping they don’t shrink everything down and tack on a new column or row, making the Mii icon not be in the bottom right slot anymore… That bothered the hell out of me on the Wii U version. =P

I hope MOBDK is based off of Tropical Freeze’s unique environments like the autumn hills or savanna 🙏🏻

3DS DK Jungle was a great homage to Returns, TF deserves the same!

WARNING: pointless rant coming. I just kinda like tracking this game’s journey with its retro tracks.

If the remaining prefixes from the leak are correct, MK8D will have over half of MKW’s Nitro courses and exactly half of MKDD’s. That’s kinda crazy.

N64 got a big head start with vanilla MK8 back on Wii U, it was heavily represented in the retro cup with 4 tracks - which was kind of odd to me given MKWii and MK7 represented the most recent games before them the most. However, it wasn’t represented at all in MK8 Wii U’s DLC and only has 2 in the BCP.

Gamecube and Wii have played tons of catch up. GCN went from two courses in MK8 vanilla, another two in its DLC, and then will presumably have another 4 by the time the BCP finishes. Increasing by 6 from vanilla MK8. Wii had 2 in the original, gained another from MK8’s DLC, and will presumably gain another SIX by the end of the BCP. MKWii will be by far the best represented by the end of the BCP.

GBA though, might be the star of the show for me. Starting with a mere 1 - Mario Circuit at that - and gaining tons of its more unique courses after. Ribbon Road and Cheese Land getting great remakes in the Wii U DLC, and another FIVE courses in the BCP - including great looking Boo Lake and Riverside Park remakes so far. It’s total went from 1 to 8.

DS had a pretty bad showing after original release. Not a bad 3 courses in the original MK8, but nothing in its DLC and only 2 in the BCP - bringing its total to 5. Less than both SC and DD before it, and MKW and MK7 after it.

3DS pretty even throughout - 3 in the original, another 1 in the DLC and then another 3 in the BCP.

SNES though… by far the worst represented. Only one in the original, one in the DLC, and two by the end of the BCP. Im not that bothered by that though, it’s the least interesting to pull from at this point.

So we have

9 - MKW
8 - MKDD
8 - MKSC
7 - MK7
6 - MK64
5 - MKDS
4 - SMK

The original game had

4 - MK64
3 - MKDS
3 - MK7
2 - MKW
2 - MKDD
1 - MKSC
1 - SMK

Overall thoughts
  • SNES and N64 are about where they should be. N64 got a lot more love than it normally would’ve in original MK8, sso it not gaining much post-launch is fine with me.
  • Super Circuit is the big winner of post launch MK8, I’ve loved seeing it’s stuff remade as someone who didn’t play much.
  • DS really could’ve used one or two more in the BCP or one in the Wii U DLC to bring it up to the amount the other modern games in the series got - especially because DS is such a beloved entry with fan faves like AF to choose from. It comes out the loser of MK8’s retro showings.
  • MKWii and DD showings will be amazing, though we still have the majority of their courses in Waves 5 and 6 so we’ll have to see on the execution
  • MK7, as the most recent entry, could’ve gotten like 1 or two more overall and I would’ve been fine. But all of it’s remakes have all been great

I'm confused about how you got your DS count. BCP has had 4 DS tracks on top of the 3 that were in vanilla MK8:
  • Cheep Cheep Beach
  • Tick-Tock Clock
  • Wario Stadium
  • Shroom Ridge
  • Waluigi Pinball
  • Peach Gardens
  • Mario Circuit
Personally i'd be totally content with the balance of the lineup if DS had one more (Airship Fortress) and 3DS had two more (Shy Guy Bazaar and one of the many other good options). N64 has some fine tracks to pull still too but it feels slightly less important to me I guess.

I'm confused about how you got your DS count. BCP has had 4 DS tracks on top of the 3 that were in vanilla MK8:
  • Cheep Cheep Beach
  • Tick-Tock Clock
  • Wario Stadium
  • Shroom Ridge
  • Waluigi Pinball
  • Peach Gardens
  • Mario Circuit
Personally i'd be totally content with the balance of the lineup if DS had one more (Airship Fortress) and 3DS had two more (Shy Guy Bazaar and one of the many other good options). N64 has some fine tracks to pull still too but it feels slightly less important to me I guess.
Yeah I just realized I totally fucked up my DS count lol. I had a whole list and hadn’t counted DS Cheep Cheep Beach or Wario Stadium when adding up the totals, but somehow did when going through vanilla MK8 totals. I don’t even know where I lost track of it for BCP totals lmao.

And I agree, Airship Fortress would’ve been perfect and I would’ve loved SGB or Rosalina’s Ice World from MK7.

Ah well, more tracks to get hyped about for even more ambitious MK Next remakes!

It’ll be fun to speculate retro cups for MK Next after the full BCP comes out, but it’ll be weird because I still feel like it’s too soon for MK8’s courses to get “remakes” despite the game being 10 years old

14 characters is very much unrealistic considering all the animations and stats balancing they have to implement.
all of the animations would be borrowed from the characters' appearance in mario kart tour and the stats would be the same as any of the characters already present in the game

If we were really getting 14 characters would we only be getting 1 in wave 4, and then the remaining 13 across the final 2 waves? It's not impossible just very unlikely.

Can someone repost the prefixes for the remaining 4 cups? I have them from the very beginning of the leak but I know stuff has moved around

Just to see if I remember right we have

• 5 city tracks
  • 4 new non-city tracks
  • 3 GCN tracks
  • 2 Wii tracks
  • 1 SNES
  • 1 GBA

I'm so hyped to go Birdomode in a few days. Haven't played any of the DLC tracks at all yet.

Can someone repost the prefixes for the remaining 4 cups? I have them from the very beginning of the leak but I know stuff has moved around

Just to see if I remember right we have

• 5 city tracks
  • 4 new non-city tracks
  • 3 GCN tracks
  • 2 Wii tracks
  • 1 SNES
  • 1 GBA
That’s the remaining spread.

Wii is Koopa Cape and Rainbow Road*

GBA is Sunset Wilds

3 GCN and the SNES track remain open speculation.

If mobDK is indeed Donkey Kong themed, then the one thing it won't be is Jungle themed. They aren't gonna directly rip off the DK Jungle we already have in the game.

A Grassland Groove track would be sick.

Speaking of stats, which set of stats does everyone think Birdo will share? We know she’s in the medium weight class, but not exactly which one… And then what about other potential characters like Diddy Kong, Petey Piranha, Pauline, etc.?

Actually, I’m not even sure how weight class applies to this chart, since the characters are grouped by vehicle size rather than weight class… Like, Metal/Gold Mario and Pink Gold Peach are definitely heavy-weights despite their medium vehicle size, right? I’m not sure exactly which weight values correspond to light, medium, and heavy… Is 0–2 light, 3–6 medium, and 7–10 heavy, or is 0–3 light, 4–6, medium, and 7–10 heavy, or what…?

Speaking of stats, which set of stats does everyone think Birdo will share? We know she’s in the medium weight class, but not exactly which one… And then what about other potential characters like Diddy Kong, Petey Piranha, Pauline, etc.?

Actually, I’m not even sure how weight class applies to this chart, since the characters are grouped by vehicle size rather than weight class… Like, Metal/Gold Mario and Pink Gold Peach are definitely heavy-weights despite their medium vehicle size, right? I’m not sure exactly which weight values correspond to light, medium, and heavy… Is 0–2 light, 3–6 medium, and 7–10 heavy, or is 0–3 light, 4–6, medium, and 7–10 heavy, or what…?
I could see Birdo being a stat clone of Yoshi, Petey in the higher end of the large drivers (maybe the same as Wario and Dry Bowser), and Pauline as a middleweight (maybe on the heavier end to differentiate her from Peach and Daisy), since her height is more in-line with those two in other spinoffs. Diddy might squeak into middleweight, as that how he was in Wii - how are characters/weight scaled visually in Tour?

As for the weights...yeah, that's the thing with the chart. Even though the game has "weight classes," the Metal characters break the rules by being heavyweights with a medium frame. But I also imagine they get to stay as special exceptions, I don't think any other added character will join them there.

Quoted by: Tye

0-3 is light, 4-6 is medium, 7-10 is heavy
metal mario and pink gold peach's class is the only exception to the rule

in mario kart tour, captain toad is small, birdo, diddy kong, peachette, hammer bro, nabbit, dixie kong, monty mole, and kamek are medium, while pauline, funky kong, petey piranha, king bob-omb, and chargin' chuck are large

in mario kart tour, captain toad is small, birdo, diddy kong, peachette, hammer bro, nabbit, dixie kong, monty mole, and kamek are medium, while pauline, funky kong, petey piranha, king bob-omb, and chargin' chuck are large
With this in mind, I revise Pauline to being a stat clone of Rosalina and the like, and I definitely see Diddy as a middleweight. Maybe in the lighter half?

As for others (and not saying these will all absolutely come to MK8D), some possibilities:
  • Captain Toad with Toad/Shy Guy/Larry
  • Peachette with Cat Peach/Inkling Girl/Female Villager
  • Monty with Peach/Daisy/Yoshi
  • Hammer Bro with either the Mario or Luigi group
  • Nabbit with Luigi (kinda random, but I think of NSLU and it feels fitting)
  • Funky Kong as a DK clone (This one I am very sure of)
  • King Bob-omb with Bowser/Morton
  • Chargin' Chuck with Wario/Dry Bowser
  • SNES Mario with Tanooki Mario/Inkling Boy/Male Villager (this blatantly parallels Peachette, I can see the devs keeping the characters there in pairs)
  • Kamek...I have no idea to be honest, lol
...of course, nothing is stopping the devs from introducing new stat sets - Wii U DLC did just that. I'm curious to see how Birdo is handled in that regard!

As for the weights...yeah, that's the thing with the chart. Even though the game has "weight classes," the Metal characters break the rules by being heavyweights with a medium frame. But I also imagine they get to stay as special exceptions, I don't think any other added character will join them there.
Well, I don’t think vehicle weights are supposed to equal weight class, right? Like, I don’t believe the game equate them as the same thing? Actually, I’m not sure weight classes are really acknowledged in-game at all in MK8D, outside of the visible weight stat? So I dunno why Mario Wiki has them grouped by vehicle size when that doesn’t necessarily correspond to weight class, as evident with the metal characters, Cat Peach, Inkling Girl, and female Villager.

(Also, speaking of, I kinda hate this thing where the female characters have to weigh less than their male counterparts… It’s not only silly and unnecessary with the Inklings and Villagers, but it’s kind of absurd with Mario and Peach/Daisy, with the latter weighing less than the former despite being quite a bit taller…)

0-3 is light, 4-6 is medium, 7-10 is heavy
metal mario and pink gold peach's class is the only exception to the rule

Ah, okay, thanks! With those defined values, though, it wouldn’t just be the metal characters, but also Cat Peach, Inkling Girl, and female Villager that don’t have vehicle sizes that match up with their weight class.

That also means we have way more characters in the light weight class than the medium and heavy classes, huh… I was about to say it’s a shame that of the characters in Tour that aren’t in MK8D, only Captain Toad is a light-weight, but I guess we don’t really need more of those anyway, lol. Not counting Miis, there are 19 light-weight characters in MK8D, 10 medium-weights, and 12 heavy-weights (or 14 if you count Gold Mario and BotW Link as separate characters). I guess that makes me feel better about the fact that most of the characters I’d like to see from Tour are medium-weights, lol.

Well, I don’t think vehicle weights are supposed to equal weight class, right? Like, I don’t believe the game equate them as the same thing? Actually, I’m not sure weight classes are really acknowledged in-game at all in MK8D, outside of the visible weight stat? So I dunno why Mario Wiki has them grouped by vehicle size when that doesn’t necessarily correspond to weight class, as evident with the metal characters, Cat Peach, Inkling Girl, and female Villager.

(Also, speaking of, I kinda hate this thing where the female characters have to weigh less than their male counterparts… It’s not only silly and unnecessary with the Inklings and Villagers, but it’s kind of absurd with Mario and Peach/Daisy, with the latter weighing less than the former despite being quite a bit taller…)
That is correct - unlike other games, MK8 and MK8D do not mention anything in relation to weight class. The closest the game has to grouping characters is by size - there are characters with small vehicles, characters with medium vehicles, and characters with large vehicles. Thus, we have the groupings in the chart.

(You're not wrong about female characters vs male characters, though I guess Peach has always been depicted as "lighter" than Mario, so I guess that's a fixed fact. We just need more "larger" female characters in general. It's not that this hasn't gone completely without notice - the reason Rosalina is so tall is so Mario Kart could have a "large" female character!)
That also means we have way more characters in the light weight class than the medium and heavy classes, huh… I was about to say it’s a shame that of the characters in Tour that aren’t in MK8D, only Captain Toad is a light-weight, but I guess we don’t really need more of those anyway, lol. Not counting Miis, there are 19 light-weight characters in MK8D, 10 medium-weights, and 12 heavy-weights (or 14 if you count Gold Mario and BotW Link as separate characters). I guess that makes me feel better about the fact that most of the characters I’d like to see from Tour are medium-weights, lol.
This was a pretty big problem with MK8 - it was very skewed towards lighter characters, and it still kind of is. Additional characters in the BCP can really help tip the scales.

Let's try something fun! Imagine we get the doomer timeline and only get 1 character per wave. You are tasked with choosing the remaining two, and ONLY two. characters. Who do you add?

Diddy Kong and Pauline.
See, this was my go to answer as well, but now I'm stuck between Pauline and Petey because of PPC

Diddy HAS to be in this though, no way he isn't, as he and Birdo were THE missing characters from 8 initially, along with Bowser Jr.

(You're not wrong about female characters vs male characters, though I guess Peach has always been depicted as "lighter" than Mario, so I guess that's a fixed fact. We just need more "larger" female characters in general. It's not that this hasn't gone completely without notice - the reason Rosalina is so tall is so Mario Kart could have a "large" female character!)
Yeah, and I’m sure it’s also the reason why Honey Queen, of all characters, was added to MK7, and why Pink Gold Peach was literally created for MK8, too, lol.

Yeah, and I’m sure it’s also the reason why Honey Queen, of all characters, was added to MK7, and why Pink Gold Peach was literally created for MK8, too, lol.
First thing they gotta do in the next game is drop Pink Gold Peach and immediately replace her with Pom Pom, Honey Queen, and Madame Broode.

Looked at 7's tracklist and realized how few of my favourites are in 8D. No Daisy Hills, Shy Guy Bazaar, Wuhu tracks, Mario Circuit or Rosalina's Ice World. Meanwhile Music Park and DK Jungle which I don't care for are in base.

First thing they gotta do in the next game is drop Pink Gold Peach and immediately replace her with Pom Pom, Honey Queen, and Madame Broode.
Pom Pom would be great, though she’d almost certainly come with Boom Boom as well. Honey Queen I don’t see ever coming back in a Mario Kart game with bikes ‘cause I’m not sure her model would really cooperate with a bike… And I have doubts about Madame Broode for similar reasons. She’s got a dress, which is a no-no for Mario Kart games with bikes, and I’m not sure she’s the type of character that they’d bother giving a biker outfit for like they do with Peach, Daisy, and Rosalina.

But even if any of those got in, there’s no need to remove Pink Gold Peach as well! She’s already become an established character, so why get rid of her at this point? Also I’m pretty sure that another reason why she exists is to provide a female metal character for players, so I assume she’ll continue to stick around as long as Metal Mario does.

I don't play Pink Gold Peach a lot in 8, but she's one of my favorite coin boxers in Tour so I appreciate her existence from that standpoint alone lol

all of the animations would be borrowed from the characters' appearance in mario kart tour and the stats would be the same as any of the characters already present in the game
Tour does not feature losing animation at all, so that mean one new animation per character at least.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it here yet but we have a confirmation on Nintendo's Japanese webpage for Wave 4 of the Booster Course Pass that it will be launching March 9th at 10am Japan Time so calculate that for your time zone. It drops at 1am for me 💤.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it here yet but we have a confirmation on Nintendo's Japanese webpage for Wave 4 of the Booster Course Pass that it will be launching March 9th at 10am Japan Time so calculate that for your time zone. It drops at 1am for me 💤.

Oh cool, so that is March 8th at 8:00pm EST.

So 8 PM where I'm at, huh? I won't be home until around 9:30, but that still means I can fit a game or two in...

I still remember playing Wave 1 at a rest stop in Louisiana at like 1AM lol. I was driving out west and stopped to sleep in my car, but it was so hot that I gave up and found a hotel near New Orleans. Fun memory.

Here's the proof if anybody is wondering:
image.png

That's 10pm on march 8th for me, awesome!

I still remember playing Wave 1 at a rest stop in Louisiana at like 1AM lol. I was driving out west and stopped to sleep in my car, but it was so hot that I gave up and found a hotel near New Orleans. Fun memory.
Fun story! Honestly, the Wave 1 release was one of my highlight moments on Switch. Seeing new tracks in MK8 was pure magic for me.

You heard it, Nintendo. Please don’t wait another 7-8 years for making new Mario Kart tracks

It’s so funny how Gamexplain members are probably lurking in this thread ^^
They made a video about the launch time coincidentally after it was noticed here

8 PM EST tomorrow works great for me, usually these drop in the morning and I'm waiting through the work day before I get to play

Back
Top Bottom