• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Shame I won’t be home to play it alongside everyone else. Gonna need you all to post pictures of the character select screen and as many impressions as possible ;)

Hoping tonight that we end of getting some sort of clue (datamine or menu) that tells us roughly how many characters to expect.

Hoping tonight that we end of getting some sort of clue (datamine or menu) that tells us roughly how many characters to expect.
Birdo has to fit in somehow. Either we get a new row or they stack characters preemptively I feel. I think it’ll be a new row.

SSBU_Character_Select_Squad_Strike_DLC.jpg

what's Mario Kart's excuse

Yall REALLY are underestimating the possibility of a new page
Four people can select characters at once, they can’t do a separate page or it’d be chaos selecting characters. Shrinking icon elements or consolidating icon elements like they do for color selection makes the most sense.

I’m just confused about why some people are so sure they can’t just shrink the icons again. It’s happened like four times in the lifecycle of Mario Kart 8 already. Remember what the vanilla roster looked like before anyone was unlocked, lol.

8ohbbb.jpg

Condensing characters would make it harder for my partner to choose Cat Peach on the character select screen. It would make it harder for me to choose Mario, too.

Would you want that fate for us? Would you?

Any last minute bonus additions predictions? An extra character? Will Birdo get their own Birdo Mobile?

I’m on team extra character myself.

Condensing characters would make it harder for my partner to choose Cat Peach on the character select screen. It would make it harder for me to choose Mario, too.

Would you want that fate for us? Would you?
I gave a Yeah! but I meant No! I reject the consolidation of characters world!

SSBU_Character_Select_Squad_Strike_DLC.jpg

what's Mario Kart's excuse
To be fair, the SSBU character select screen is specifically designed to be fluid to accommodate unlocked characters, DLC, and stackable Echo/Mii Fighters, while MKD8’s isn’t like that at all.

I’m just confused about why some people are so sure they can’t just shrink the icons again. It’s happened like four times in the lifecycle of this game already. Remember what the vanilla roster looked like before anyone was unlocked, lol.

8ohbbb.jpg
Wait, what?? Why don’t I remember this at all?? I swear the character select screen just had “?” icons for the unlockable characters…

EDIT: And what are the other three times you mention??

I’m just confused about why some people are so sure they can’t just shrink the icons again. It’s happened like four times in the lifecycle of Mario Kart 8 already. Remember what the vanilla roster looked like before anyone was unlocked, lol.

8ohbbb.jpg
The character icons already get smaller on different screens too. Like they can certainly shrink lol.

Watch them drop a new item out of nowhere like the fake item box
Darn I forgot to make a thread about that last year. There’s two open spots for items. Would love two new items even if they were off by default to maintain balance.

To circumvent the character select screen issues, it’s removed entirely in favor of a search bar where everyone has to type their characters name in manually

Man, I'm getting so sleepy, must resist lol

I wanna play each cup once at least before going to bed

To be fair, the SSBU character select screen is specifically designed to be fluid to accommodate unlocked characters, DLC, and stackable Echo/Mii Fighters, while MKD8’s isn’t like that at all.
yeah, it's more versatile and still manages to cram all 80+ of these suckers in. MK8DX doesn't need to worry about that, what's stopping it from having a similar screen with a roster 60% of the size
Wait, really? I live in North America, is there some 'change my region' hijinx in order to unlock?
no, it's simultaneous across regions

I'm pretty sure it will be a new row with some new ? icons corresponding to the next characters being added.

What if there's a surprise 2nd character tonight?

Team Consolidators, I know we are less than ten minutes from knowing, but pull up VS mode look at the character screen. Then set up a Team Battle. The character icons are noticeably smaller.

Wait, what?? Why don’t I remember this at all?? I swear the character select screen just had “?” icons for the unlockable characters…

EDIT: And what are the other three times you mention??

The first row and column of ? icons were added when you unlocked your first character; then the second column is added when you unlock one of the characters in it (had to dig up an old YouTube playthrough to find a pic).

IMG_4054.png

The other times are the vanilla DLC and then 8DX; but there’s technically a fifth too: if you didn’t have any characters unlocked when the DLC update dropped it would add the extra columns but not the Koopaling row.

images

Not long until we find out though!

yeah, it's more versatile and still manages to cram all 80+ of these suckers in. MK8DX doesn't need to worry about that, what's stopping it from having a similar screen with a roster 60% of the size
I never said they can’t shrink the icons more, just that I didn’t think it’s necessarily the most likely thing they’ll do when they also have the option of combining character variants. I had also thought that they had never shrunk the icons before, but apparently that’s wrong and I somehow forgot that the character select screen just completely omitted the unlockable characters when first starting MK8 on Wii U… Regardless, part of the reason for me doubting that they’ll shrink the character icons to fit another column or row this time around is because the icons are already pretty small as they are. They’re roughly the same size as SSBU’s character icons will all characters unlocked and all DLC purchased (though MK8D’s icons are a bit taller while SSBU’s icons are a bit longer), but also the text that says “amiibo” on the Mii icon is actually even smaller than the text that says the character names on the SSBU icons, to the point that it may be difficult to make out if they make it much smaller.

But we’ll find out in a minute, I guess. Maybe I’m totally wrong here, lol.

The first row and column of ? icons were added when you unlocked your first character; then the second column is added when you unlock one of the characters in it (had to dig up an old YouTube playthrough to find a pic).

IMG_4054.png

The other times are the vanilla DLC and then 8DX; but there’s technically a fifth too: if you didn’t have any characters unlocks when the DLC update dropped it would add the extra columns but not the Koopaling row.

images

Not long until we find out though!
Damn, yeah, I totally forgot this ever happened at all. Ah well, let’s see what happens! About…now-ish!!

Back
Top Bottom