• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Apparently this appeared on 4chan two days prior to the feb direct, and so far it has not gotten anything wrong and accurately predicted additional characters, DS Mario Circuit, and Wii DK Summit

SPOILER_89EF8F40-95CB-47CD-B0BC-F29A1E3389A0.jpg

Apparently this appeared on 4chan two days prior to the feb direct, and so far it has not gotten anything wrong and accurately predicted additional characters, DS Mario Circuit, and Wii DK Summit

14 characters would be unexpected but also extremely cool. The list in this leak has all of the characters from Tour that I would want, I think the only thing I'd do is swap SNES Mario with SNES DK Jr. Out of the characters currently in Tour, Peachette and Captain Toad feel like the only big omissions besides costumes?

Of course, we'll see if the character amount ends up happening or if this was just a lucky guess.

14 characters would be unexpected but also extremely cool. The list in this leak has all of the characters from Tour that I would want, I think the only thing I'd do is swap SNES Mario with SNES DK Jr. Out of the characters currently in Tour, Peachette and Captain Toad feel like the only big omissions besides costumes?

Of course, we'll see if the character amount ends up happening or if this was just a lucky guess.
This is still insanely intriguing because NOBODY expected any characters when this was posted, so if fake, this was a wild shot in the dark

And it would give us two additional rows which would be dope

And the filenames are accurate to how Nintendo organizes internally

14 new characters? Don’t it will happen unless we get another BCP

but curious what does .szs files means?? I mean, which characters are we supposed getting.

I'd love to meet the person out there who would recognise the DS Circuit theme but not the Yoshi's Island athletic theme. Have been skeptical about this since it started being discussed on the Tour Discord based on that alone.

but curious what does .szs files means?? I mean, which characters are we supposed getting.

Those are all the internal names of the characters in Tour (sans the typo on BossPakkun, another negative sign for the validity of the post), mostly their Japanese names. In order those would be:
  • King Bob-omb
  • Petey Piranha
  • Hammer Bro
  • Chargin' Chuck
  • Birdo
  • Monty Mole
  • Diddy Kong
  • Dixie Kong
  • Mario (SNES)
  • Funky Kong
  • Kamek
  • Koopa (Freerunning)
  • Pauline
  • Nabbit

Those are all the internal names of the characters in Tour (sans the typo on BossPakkun, another negative sign for the validity of the post), mostly their Japanese names. In order those would be:
  • King Bob-omb
  • Petey Piranha
  • Hammer Bro
  • Chargin' Chuck
  • Birdo
  • Monty Mole
  • Diddy Kong
  • Dixie Kong
  • Mario (SNES)
  • Funky Kong
  • Kamek
  • Koopa (Freerunning)
  • Pauline
  • Nabbit
Thanks Mondo! That the really best case scenario lol, don’t think it will happen unless they plan to release more characters through 2024 after BCP ends…

Albert makes a great point here. MOBMU might just be another test track similar to MOBNU. So we have a mystery city track and a mystery nitro track to look forward to. I'm gonna take a guess and say we're looking at a Cairo city track and a New Donk City nitro track.

I liked his theory about saving the crossover tracks for the second half, but the lack of one in wave 6 seems a bit odd. When looking at the other Mario spinoffs available, WarioWare or WarioLand would make great levels, otherwise its pretty much just Captain Toad that has gone underrepresented in terms of spinoffs imo. Luigi's mansion being omitted from this game is still a crime, even if its a track that I don't really care for too much, hopefully BCP2 can come to save the day by including a bunch of ds/3ds/n64 tracks that will be missing by the end of BCP1.

I think it's okay to not have Luigi's Mansion as a racetrack because it exists in MK8D as a Battle Mode track. It even has the song taken from MKDS and not the general battle theme from Double Dash.

...I also don't think I'd be ready to hear another reused song on a track, Waluigi Pinball hurt me too much.

I think it's okay to not have Luigi's Mansion as a racetrack because it exists in MK8D as a Battle Mode track. It even has the song taken from MKDS and not the general battle theme from Double Dash.

...I also don't think I'd be ready to hear another reused song on a track, Waluigi Pinball hurt me too much.
Why did Nintendo do that?? MK8DX was going to be the first game with no re-used music. Also, there was the whole weird thing with Waluigi Pinball having no anti-grav, despite it being perfect for it. Some of those sharp turns are so awkward!

Also, is anyone else getting sick of the people uploading the OSTs for these waves spamming their channel with the same OSTs but with certain instruments removed? It's annoying as heck.

Eh I'm not too opposed to hearing repeat music, at this point I've played the game so much that I turn the music off and listen to my own music while playing with friends. I also think that generally a battle map doesn't mean that it represents the "series" that it comes from, excusing the maps from existing in that same realm, I don't think Wuhu Town should disqualify Wuhu Loop/Maka Wuhu from a future pass, Dragon Driftway and Dragon Palace both exist after all.

Also, there was the whole weird thing with Waluigi Pinball having no anti-grav, despite it being perfect for it. Some of those sharp turns are so awkward!
I’ve thought about this for awhile and I think the reason they didn’t add antigravity to Waluigi Pinball is because of the giant pinballs on the course—wouldn’t make much sense to have antigravity sections for the racers while the pinballs are unaffected, lol. That’s kind of the whole point of the course—it’s a giant pinball machine, and antigravity would kinda break that concept.

So even though it seems the above character leak might be fake, I still hope Pauline makes it in. Haven't actually played MK8 since before they started releasing the extra courses but she would be reason enough for me to jump back in once I pick up the Switch Online expansion.

Why did Nintendo do that?? MK8DX was going to be the first game with no re-used music. Also, there was the whole weird thing with Waluigi Pinball having no anti-grav, despite it being perfect for it. Some of those sharp turns are so awkward!
The simple answer is that...well, it's easy. The song is already good to go from the base game, it's already using a lead synthetic instrument reminiscent of the DS original (which is the artistic choice they made for the other DS courses in the BCP), so just use it again. I don't like it - I think a more electronic remix reminiscent of Electrodrome could have been great - but it's the choice they made and I can understand the logic.

Pretty sure no antigravity on Waluigi Pinball was simply due to dev constraints. Given that there wasn't any antigravity through wave 2 outside of Sky-High Sundae (which was applied to the entire course and felt pretty sloppy), I don't think they really know how to partially integrate it into the tracks yet. Once wave 3 rolled around, it was everywhere, probably because they finally knew how to do it.

I’ve thought about this for awhile and I think the reason they didn’t add antigravity to Waluigi Pinball is because of the giant pinballs on the course—wouldn’t make much sense to have antigravity sections for the racers while the pinballs are unaffected, lol. That’s kind of the whole point of the course—it’s a giant pinball machine, and antigravity would kinda break that concept.
Given that the boulders aren't antigravity on Rock Rock Mountain, I don't think this was the reason why. Making the pinballs antigravity too would improve the course significantly though in my opinion; given that you don't have a good visual on the pinballs, it'd be more fun to seek them out as a mini boost rather than getting set back significantly by something you can't really avoid.

I imagine they'd remix the song entirely for a theoretical MK8 track. Unlike Waluigi Pinball, where the music still fits somewhat, the battle mode remix is a completely different vibe from the original track. Maybe they'd be lazy, I dunno, but I think they'd recreate another version more faithful to the original in terms of tone.

I imagine they'd remix the song entirely for a theoretical MK8 track. Unlike Waluigi Pinball, where the music still fits somewhat, the battle mode remix is a completely different vibe from the original track. Maybe they'd be lazy, I dunno, but I think they'd recreate another version more faithful to the original in terms of tone.
I actually would agree with this after listening to the tour version of DS Luigi's Mansion as well as the GCN Luigi's Mansion remix, they are pretty different vibes despite sharing a common melody.

Sidenote in regards to Luigi maps, I am really excited to eventually see what GBA Luigi Circuit looks like in tour, I love raining maps and I think its underutilized in MK8D, so I wouldn't mind it showing up down the line if they do BCP2.

Sidenote in regards to Luigi maps, I am really excited to eventually see what GBA Luigi Circuit looks like in tour, I love raining maps and I think its underutilized in MK8D, so I wouldn't mind it showing up down the line if they do BCP2.
Wait no, not another opportunity for the Mario Kart team to reuse a song from the base game!!! 😭😭😭

Wait no, not another opportunity for the Mario Kart team to reuse a song from the base game!!! 😭😭😭
:devilish:
The rain sound effect will give it so much more ambiance though! While they will probably gut the track in tour and simplify it to hell and back, I still like the rain aspect enough to enjoy it compared to most GBA tracks. Plus we already had two Mario Circuits in the bcp now, where's the Luigi love? He didn't even get his fun lederhosen costume with Berlin!

We know we're getting 1 more SNES track, I think it's inevitable that Vanilla Lake is coming.

After we found out it exists for Tour I have been pretty confident in the last SNES track being one of the Bowser's Castles. I'd go as far as betting that it is only being remade for the purpose of being included in 8DX; as evidence prior seemed to imply it was off the table for Tour (RMX Bowser's Castle, unlike the other RMX courses being themed after the SNES tracks, is themed after GBA Bowser's Castle instead).

I think Snow Land and Boo Lake were picked for 8DX as (more interesting) equivalents to Vanilla Lake and Ghost Valley. Arguably Choco Mountain can fill the gap for Choco Island as well. That poor beach theme though... no SNES Koopa Beach, N64 Koopa Troopa Beach or Cheep-Cheep Island despite all of them being in Tour...

After we found out it exists for Tour I have been pretty confident in the last SNES track being one of the Bowser's Castles. I'd go as far as betting that it is only being remade for the purpose of being included in 8DX; as evidence prior seemed to imply it was off the table for Tour (RMX Bowser's Castle, unlike the other RMX courses being themed after the SNES tracks, is themed after GBA Bowser's Castle instead).

I think Snow Land and Boo Lake were picked for 8DX as (more interesting) equivalents to Vanilla Lake and Ghost Valley. Arguably Choco Mountain can fill the gap for Choco Island as well. That poor beach theme though... no SNES Koopa Beach, N64 Koopa Troopa Beach or Cheep-Cheep Island despite all of them being in Tour...
Solution: new nitro beach course

4 slots datamined and we know one of them is GCN Waluigi Stadium now so 3 slots left after Wave 4.
Daisy Cruiser seems like a safe bet, and also one of the jungle (Dino Dino Jungle or DK Mountain). The last one is really mysterious to me.
Having both jungle tracks would be the best scenario for me, but I highly doubt it would happen.

It's probably going to be Waluigi Stadium, Daisy Cruiser, Dino Dino Jungle, and Bowser Castle. Mushroom Bridge would have been in Wave 4 (it's an easy course and would have fit perfectly), DK Mountain shares a lot of similarities to other tracks, and Mushroom City would just be another city course without any big standout features. We need a Bowser Castle track eventually.

IMO, the placement of the SNES track makes no sense for Bowser Castle. Why Wave 5 instead of Wave 6? This feels like another Airship Fortress situation.
Maybe so, or it could've been shuffled to Wave 6 for all we know... Regardless, I still think it will happen even if it is still a Wave 5 track.

IMO, the placement of the SNES track makes no sense for Bowser Castle. Why Wave 5 instead of Wave 6? This feels like another Airship Fortress situation.
Nintendo has shown in the past that they don’t care about the positioning whatsoever for GBA Bowser’s Castle, and I imagine it would be the same for SNES Bowser’s Castle. Wave 5 makes me more confident in it, if anything.

Yeah, 14 characters feels like way too much to be realistic, but of that list I hope Dixie and Pauline make it in.

Take in how this game got way more support than Strikers even though Strikers released last year.
Considering it took almost 4 years and 50 million+ copies sold, I wouldn't really compare MK8D BCP to any other dlc Nintendo has ever done :p

I would also be very skeptical of a Booster Course Pass containing 14 new drivers, and Nintendo not making a huge ginormous deal out of it that you get FOURTEEN new drivers in what was previously announced and advertised as just new tracks.
1 or two new characters per wave as a fun little bonus, that I see happening but that many? That's too much.. 48 new courses and so 4-5 new characters is a lot of value for 25 dollars.

Back
Top Bottom