• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Kyle Bosman |ST| Crucially Imperative

Love Kyle's take on bad trailers. He's pretty on the nose about these things. I thought both of Horizon's trailers at TGAs were pretty poor, and the more time that passes, I do agree with his take on the Tears of the Kingdom trailer.

And yeah, most likely it'll be Elden Ring that gets all the nods but I do feel like it's lucky that it was an otherwise uneventful year for big blockbusters. There are both FromSoft games and open-world games better than Elden Ring, and while I definitely enjoyed myself (to the point that it's even high on my list this year as well) it was the first time I felt like I was going through the motions in a Souls game. I feel like Elden Ring will be looked back on poorly in time.

Love Kyle's take on bad trailers. He's pretty on the nose about these things. I thought both of Horizon's trailers at TGAs were pretty poor, and the more time that passes, I do agree with his take on the Tears of the Kingdom trailer.

And yeah, most likely it'll be Elden Ring that gets all the nods but I do feel like it's lucky that it was an otherwise uneventful year for big blockbusters. There are both FromSoft games and open-world games better than Elden Ring, and while I definitely enjoyed myself (to the point that it's even high on my list this year as well) it was the first time I felt like I was going through the motions in a Souls game. I feel like Elden Ring will be looked back on poorly in time.

Bosman is pretty hit or miss for me with his hottakes, but I also agree with his opinion on trailers here. Even when I don't agree with him at least he's usually entertaining.

Until people's open world obsessions go down I feel like ER will be praised to the high heavens, just as BotW before it, despite all the glaring flaws and bloated repetition. It's just where the industry is at right now and has been for some time. I'll play Sekiro and Skward Sword a hundred times over before I ever have the desire to touch ER or BotW again.

Spot on about trailers. My friend and I were watching the game awards and said the exact same stuff about that one trailer. You can’t just say stuff and expect us to care

Realizing that making a video about Elden Ring is tired and then doing not only that but a video about whether Breath of the Wild is going to influence future open world games? Show should be called Delayed Output.

honk

For a Christmas gift to Kyle, debuted on his weekly art show on Twitch, with the backdrop commissioned from one of Kyle's awesomest regular artists, steven_purifoy, I assembled a hype train of characters from weird and legendary past Kyle streams, one even dating back to GameTrailers (Chicago Enforcer):

kylesstreamtraindwi4v.png

Last edited:
^ A few of the pngs - Princess from Light Tracer II, Slish from Tony Hawk's Project 8, Hass from Elden Ring, and Hawg ru'hawg-du'hawg from Final Fantasy XIV:

lighttracergfivc.png

slishrffq8.png

hassvxcts.png

hawgfditi.png

new ep:

That Was a Premium Nintendo Direct​

really great episode and it seems we share some feelings about Directs. i'm not sure who beat who to the punch about the Direct narrator but he's gotta go. Him being such an integral part of Directs make these things feel like Nickelodeon for 30-year-olds, because he's speaking with a lot of clarity in a very cartoonish/emphatic cadence but the scripts are barely for children.

Definitely prefer hearing from the developers before/after the trailers vs the announcer who usually talks over them.

The last time they tried dev spots in a Direct, people complained about how boring it was and that they should've been Treehouse segments. I was sad to see that reception, and I'm glad to see at least some people coming around on it.

Of course, the real problem then was that was E3 2015 and they didn't have interesting games to talk about. IIRC the formula was actually decently received at E3 2014.

The last time they tried dev spots in a Direct, people complained about how boring it was and that they should've been Treehouse segments. I was sad to see that reception, and I'm glad to see at least some people coming around on it.

Of course, the real problem then was that was E3 2015 and they didn't have interesting games to talk about. IIRC the formula was actually decently received at E3 2014.
Yeah I remember the dev spot with one of the female designers on Woolly World got a ton of vitriol at the time. As someone who really enjoyed that it was a bit disappointing to see.

Just watched that latest episode and DAMMIT WHATS IN THE SWAMP, KYLE?!?!

===

The DF review of the PSVR2 hardware experience is pretty glowing. I know where Kyle is coming from because for a bit minute I was like "maybe I want a PSVR2". I've never bought a VR headset before. I don't have a PlayStation 5 🤷

Last Monday marked 10 years since Kyle's debut on GameTrailers.

It was a few days late, but I debuted a mondo montage of his online career on his Twitch stream today:

I could never catch his streams regularly enough. Did Kyle ever give his """definitive""" opinion on Scarlet and Violet outside of that Delayed Input episode?

I don't always end up agreeing with him, but his pokemon takes are always at least entertaining.

Last edited:
Fell asleep during the Destiny trailer but yeah that Karma Police cover is pretty rough lol

Listening to the original to purge it

Last edited:
I could never catch his streams regularly enough. Did Kyle ever give his """definitive""" opinion on Scarlet and Violet outside of that Delayed Input episode?

I don't always end up agreeing with him, but his pokemon takes are always at least entertaining.

It made his Top Ten GOTY 2022 list, ahead of Arceus, which he thought was a shoe-in back when he played it at the start of the year.

I don't know if there is a definitive all-in-one take he gave on it, other than it is a top pokemon game with a delightful cast of weirdos that made selecting a party difficult. But he streamed the whole game and summed up his thoughts at the end. That and the GOTY list stream are probably the closest you get to a succint.

Also, if you enjoy his pokemon takes, you may find this entertaining:

Kyle goes through all 1000 pokemon and rates their design to compile a Block List of 8 pokemon he hates the most and that will never ever be in his party when he plays a pokemon game.

Love the dig at himself on the music bit lmao, the whole spiel starting with "This is" and then punctuated by the car horn

Crazy Castle 3 was my first video game I personally owned. It was thanks to the shopkeep convincing my Parents that Pokemon Red would not run on the Gameboy Color I was getting.

Everytime I think I finally ran out of Game Boy games I played as a kid and completely forgot about, a new one pops up that makes me want it on NSO. This one was instantly familiar and also instantly triggered a deep, old "This is bullshit" reflex.

Kyle telling Sylvester "Fuck you" like a couple of levels in, though? Can't believe this guy wanted to tell us Marvel Snap was the problem and not him

I'm buzzing about the relative restraint in (not) talking about E3, after listening to the EZA Podcast talk about that corpse of a convention once a month when the last time something new has been said about it was 5 years ago.

If I was able to ban one topic from video game discussion, this would come ahead of Switch Pro/2 speculation.

I'm buzzing about the relative restraint in (not) talking about E3, after listening to the EZA Podcast talk about that corpse of a convention once a month when the last time something new has been said about it was 5 years ago.

If I was able to ban one topic from video game discussion, this would come ahead of Switch Pro/2 speculation.
i can’t think of anything more boring than gaming journalists talking about the times they went to E3

i can’t think of anything more boring than gaming journalists talking about the times they went to E3

The stories when they actually went to E3 were supreme entertainment.

It's the endless meta kvetching about whether E3 should return or stay dead, be open to the public or press only, was better with press conferences or become obsolete with Directs, that's worn out and tiring.

Back
Top Bottom